PDA

View Full Version : Guidebooks and Maps

MichaelRedBeard
03-26-2015, 00:27
People keep mentioning the AWOL. What does the acronym stand for? Also, where can I find it? I was referenced to a site but it appeared to have many different books. Also what other guidebooks do you suggest? The main things that are most important to me is what towns the trails run near and what is located in those towns (In other words are they worthy stops to resupply at). Also I would like to be able to familiarize myself with where water sources are located. Finally, it would also be nice if there are any "must see" things mentioned in the guidebooks so I dont miss anything along the way. Thanks!

Uriah
03-26-2015, 00:32
Absent With-Out Leave, a military term. It's the author's trailname. The book isn't required by any means, but certainly helps to know what's ahead, and how far (i.e., your next water source). Find it here: http://www.theatguide.com/

Slo-go'en
03-26-2015, 01:06
You MUST have a guide. There are two to choose from. The AWOL "AT Guide" is the most popular. There is another called "The Companion" Published by the ATC (Appalachian Trail Conservatory). Either will do, but the AWOL guide typically has more "landmarks" listed then the companion. Maps are optional. Go to the ATC for detailed maps or antigravity gear for "Pocket maps" which are less detailed, but have all the important info on them for less money and less bulk.

colorado_rob
03-26-2015, 08:52
I have both AWOL and "The Companion" (in soft form, a PDF file on my phone) and find that AWOL is more useful, though both work. The complete AWOL is kinda heavy, so myself (and most hikers, I think) rip AWOL into halves/thirds/fourths/whatever and pick up (bounce boxes, resupply mailings) later sections down the trail.

BTW: AWOL's book "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" is a fun read, one of the books that got me psyched for doing the AT.

Turk6177
03-26-2015, 09:00
+1 on using AWOL's guide. He also has a Facebook page in which he posts updates so you can have the latest information. I have never met David Miller, but am eternally grateful to him for the effort he puts into his guide, making our hikes a lot better.

MichaelRedBeard
03-26-2015, 09:00
The site says they are out of stock on the item. Do you think they will get more in anytime soon?

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2015, 09:53
Just an FYI for clarity, The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion, usually just called, The Companion, is not published solely by ATC, but rather by the ALDHA (The Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association) in collaboration with the ATC. I believe ALDHA authors the publication and holds the copyright, while ATC does the publishing part. You can purchase it from either organization, but the electronic version is only available from ALDHA.

Walkintom
03-26-2015, 10:22
We carried both. 80% of the time AWOL's guide was more useful, especially in towns. The other 20% of the time it was still worth carrying the 2nd book (we cut them up in sections so the weight wasn't much). Sometimes that one piece of information found only in the second book was worth its weight in gold.

Uriah
03-26-2015, 10:29
The site says they are out of stock on the item. Do you think they will get more in anytime soon?

I would imagine; in years past they've also run out, but always met the demand. (This is the high season for their business obviously, but yet it's likely the publisher doesn't want to print any more than they have to.) But if not, an older version would work...the trail only changes ever so slightly each year. Conversely, you could buy the electronic version or go with The Companion. There are lots of options, and they can each do the trick.

squeezebox
03-26-2015, 10:47
Since AWOL's book is on water resistant paper is it okay to burn the pages you've used? Burning plastic is not okay.
There are 11 different ATC guide books and sets of maps. Luckily there seems to be a town at the beginning and end of each set, except Maine. So having them mailed to me should be pretty much okay. If you've done this let me know the towns where you picked up your maps from, or any other issues.

Coffee
03-26-2015, 10:57
AWOL's guide is excellent for knowing what's ahead on the trail, especially town services. The ATC and local trail organizations also publish much more comprehensive guidebooks for specific sections of the trail along with maps. On shorter hikes where weight is not a big issue, I have taken along these more comprehensive guidebooks. I always take along the maps. I like to have a broader view of where I am and the landmarks that are nearby. I don't feel like maps are needed for actual navigation, however.

MichaelRedBeard
03-26-2015, 13:13
Does AWOL make the pocket profile maps or is he just a supplier? In other words, can I get those pocket profile maps just about anywhere? Also are those maps updated every year or just his book?

Awol2003
03-30-2015, 00:09

The A.T. Guide (a.k.a. “AWOL Guide”) is in stock. The item that is out of stock was full sets of Pocket Profiles; they’ll be available next week (early April, 2015).

Does AWOL make the pocket profile maps or is he just a supplier? In other words, can I get those pocket profile maps just about anywhere? Also are those maps updated every year or just his book?

The Pocket Profiles are made by AntigravityGear. I help with Pocket Profiles and I sell them. Many outfitters along the AT sell them; they are also sold by many on-line retailers. Only Antigravity Gear’s website and theatguide.com offer the discounted bundle including Pocket Profiles and The A.T. Guide.

Survey of what 2014 thru-hikers used: http://distancehiking.com/resources/atmapsandguidebooks/