PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 07:47
Hello everyone. I've recently decided that I am planning on thru hiking the AT starting early June. It's a very long story on why I'm doing this but I have a few questions. When telling friends, family etc about hiking the AT, anyone else get "are you crazy?" "What are you thinking?" "What is wrong with you?" I've gotten no support with this decision. I am quitting my job and plan on going alone. My 13 year relationship is practically over and I feel completely lost and need some "direction." I've been wanting to hike the AT for years but have always made excuses on why I couldn't. I have this overwhelming sense that now is the right time. I need to just get away for a bit and challenge myself to accomplish goal. Not only am I just wanting to thru hike the AT but I plan on filming it as well. I have a side job, mainly in the summer, filming weddings. I become pretty good at it and I have always had a dream of shooting a documentary. I want this experience to be that doc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-26-2015, 08:45
Not sure what advice your looking for? How to shoot a documentary? Is going on a thru hike a good idea?

First, go to youtube. There are 100's of videos about the AT. Watch a bunch of them to see what others have produced.

If you want to leave early June, you don't have much time to prepare. Are you already an experienced backpacker and have all the gear or are you starting from scratch? Do you have sufficient money? What are you going to do with all your stuff while your gone? Any bills which will have to be paid monthly? Do you have a "Plan B" in case something happens and you can't continue or decide to go home (which 70-75% do at some point, some sooner then later)?

Turk6177
03-26-2015, 08:57
If you are starting in June, you may want to consider a SOBO.

Treehugger
03-26-2015, 08:59
Slo' is right. Lots of docs on youtube. Squatch's are great!! As far as hiking the trail, just do it. Either go SOBO or start NOBO in NY and flip back down after ME. Let it happen organically but go prepared, start that process yesterday. Get the guide book, get a book or two on the AT. Read Trail Journals. You have a famous person that hiked the trail a few years ago in your hometown btw. A wealth of info in her brain. Mamaw B is her trail name. Look her up on TJ. Or drive to Erwin and talk to hikers passing thru Uncle Johnny's Hostel for advice. Lots to do! Just do it!! Good luck!! You got this!!

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 09:01
Re-reading my post. It was unclear what my questions were. Sorry, I was rambling. I'm not an experienced hiker as some. I do have some gear but not a lot. Money and my things will not be a problem. I'm not rich, so I will have to be on a budget.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 09:04
I know 2 months is a short time to prepare but I believe it's now or never. Just needing some advice trying to do this. Thanks again.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 09:14
I would have started earlier but I have commitments up to May 30th. I know it's a long shot that I could even finish the trail but I have (need) to try.

Alligator
03-26-2015, 09:18
If you are starting in June, you may want to consider a SOBO.Or an alternate itinerary where you split the trail into pieces. That might make for a different spin on your documentary.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 09:19
So going NOBO in June is no good?

Alligator
03-26-2015, 09:24
It's doable if you are fast, but that's a late start date. There are multiple options to hiking the whole trail beyond going NOBO.

Alligator
03-26-2015, 09:25
See here https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Bronk
03-26-2015, 09:28
I found that the people who didn't support my hike mostly never accomplished anything in their lives.

Lyle
03-26-2015, 09:30
You can plan in two months if you get at it. I would also recommend some multi day trips carrying the filming gear you want to take. That kind of thing can change what else you can comfortably carry due to weight/bulk issues.

Regarding making a film. Yes a LOT of films have been made about hiking the AT, but, by far, most of them are about north bound thru hikes. With your timing, conventional wisdom says a south bound hike is in order. I think that would be a good addition to the library of films available, interesting and helpful. You must understand, however, that the party/social aspect of the AT is a much, much smaller part of the the experience for a south bound hike.

Finally, do research here on Whiteblaze and a few other online sites that are available, but keep in mind, there is no "right" way to hike or "right" gear to carry. Opinions are as varied as the folks espousing them. Also gear does not make or break many, if any, hikes. I think the best option for you is to find an experienced long distance hiker, preferably one near your location, who is willing to give you some one on one advice. Pick someone you know, or someone here on Whiteblaze who, in your reading of posts, seems reasonable and compatible with your sense of the type hike you wish to have. You know, AT Purist vs more relaxed set of rules, Party Animal vs Nature Child, Tech Gear Head vs More old school approach, Ultra Light weight vs Light weight (I will say, avoid those who carry 35+ pounds today - that isn't necessary). I think picking one or two individual mentors will greatly simplify your prep, and since the gear itself is one of the less critical aspects, you will have a much less difficult time preparing than if you try to decipher all the nuances of gear for yourself - that has lead to paralysis for many first-time hikers.

Personal reasons abound for deciding to take a long distance hike. Few of us are blessed with fully supportive family and friends, but many of them come around once the process begins, and they see you have thought things through and are committed. For those who don't understand, just try to remain positive and realize that this lifestyle isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for those of us for whom it is - MAN what an excellent cup of tea it is!

It's mostly a mental game you are undertaking, as such NEVER quit on a bad day, but wait for sunshine and a full belly to decide whether to continue on or not.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2015, 09:33
A less than well seasoned hiker, starting June 1st, whatever the starting point and itinerary, and then also allowing for all the extra time and effort required to shoot footage, transport and manage video equipment (in lots of weather unfriendly to video/film gear), etc., just sounds awfully optimistic. Maybe think about choosing one or the other. Commit to a thru-hike or commit to shooting some trail video of a long section hike. Just trying to be realistic.

Lyle
03-26-2015, 09:45
A less than well seasoned hiker, starting June 1st, whatever the starting point and itinerary, and then also allowing for all the extra time and effort required to shoot footage, transport and manage video equipment (in lots of weather unfriendly to video/film gear), etc., just sounds awfully optimistic. Maybe think about choosing one or the other. Commit to a thru-hike or commit to shooting some trail video of a long section hike. Just trying to be realistic.

Some excellent points and considerations to think about. Impossible? No way. Potentially very difficult? Yeah.

That said, if you start out with your dream, but find it too difficult, not much fun, or physically impractical, there is no rule against changing the focus of your hike to one or the other at any point. Just follow my advice above about when to decide to quit or make a change of focus.

ChrisJackson
03-26-2015, 10:36
Some great advice here. SOBO may be best for your time-frame. But do check other options like sections or flipping. If you do SOBO, I'll just share that I chose that as well and I had little experience on my trip- and other than the great people I met and was with, I really don't have any fond memories of Maine. It was tough mentally and physically! The trail was not fun for me 'til New Hampshire. I look forward to seeing Maine again in the near future under better circumstances :-) Just trying to say, "Be prepared". As much as possible. You have a grand adventure spread out before you and you should take it! Best of luck!

RED-DOG
03-26-2015, 10:41
I know 2 months is a short time to prepare but I believe it's now or never. Just needing some advice trying to do this. Thanks again.

June is too late to start a NOBO from Springer MT, I would do a Flip-Flop, get one of those wall sized maps and look at it start someplace in the middle like NJ or NY or maybe northern PA and head north to Katahdin them come back to the point you started and head south to Springer.

RED-DOG
03-26-2015, 10:44
June is too late to start a NOBO from Springer MT, I would do a Flip-Flop, get one of those wall sized maps and look at it start someplace in the middle like NJ or NY or maybe northern PA and head north to Katahdin them come back to the point you started and head south to Springer.

or start in July on Katahdin and do a SOBO thru hike to springer. and theirs always next year to fully prepare yourself for it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2015, 10:50
I found that the people who didn't support my hike mostly never accomplished anything in their lives.You sound kind of bitter.

The notion that anyone should receive unanimous support for taking a six month hiking vacation is honestly absurd. Of course there will be people who don't think it is a good idea. For some people, thru-hiking is a reasonable decision, if that person has the time, funding, and aren't leaving a whirlwind of $#!& in their wake. And for other people, thru-hiking is probably a terrible decision. They quit good jobs, strain and/or sever relationships, all for what is a very selfish indulgence. And then most of them from either group don't succeed at thru-hiking anyway.

I don't think there is any correlation between the support a person on the sidelines gives or doesn't give and their own accomplishments in life, regarding their choice to support or not support any particular other individual's decision to thru-hike.

And as for thru-hiking itself, I've met people with lots of accomplishments in life who thru-hiked, and I've also met thru-hikers who have few if any other accomplishments in life. It cuts both ways. There's a lot more to life than walking.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 10:56
Thanks everyone. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Odd Man Out
03-26-2015, 10:57
You are not the first person to find others are confused and unsupportive.

https://youtu.be/FEOFDwWv4fk

Mags
03-26-2015, 11:24
And as for thru-hiking itself, I've met people with lots of accomplishments in life who thru-hiked, and I've also met thru-hikers who have few if any other accomplishments in life. It cuts both ways. There's a lot more to life than walking.

Indeed. Personally, while my long hikes are a large part of who I am, I'd hate to think it is the ONLY part of who I am.

I've met many people over the years whose defining characteristic are their long hikes.

It is not good or bad...but, at least in my opinion, it does make for a less interesting person.

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2015, 12:09
Thanks everyone. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't want to leave you with the impression that you shouldn't do this. If you have the opportunity, and now is the time, go for it! But go into it as much as possible with eyes wide open. A SOBO starting in mid-June (a popular time to start) isn't unrealistic at all. I think it's the plan to simultaneously shoot a documentary that makes me advise some caution. It's a lot of extra gear (heavy and delicate gear) that has to make it across swollen streams, get carried up and down mountains, survive a few falls, get regularly charged, and function in generally damp and dirty conditions for months. Then there's the time spent shooting (not hiking) multiplied by that whole "shooting ratio" thing that goes with making a documentary. The two goals kind of pull at one another time wise. But I'm not saying it can't be done, or not to try if you have the time and will.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 12:27
Living in Knoxville, TN it's definitely easier from me to get to Springer Mt then it would be to Maine. But I understand the difficulties in trying this thru hike in the summer. Maybe I was being over ambitious and not thinking clearly. But who knows....

Farr Away
03-26-2015, 12:48
The "you're crazy" may just be lack of knowledge on their part.

I was once asked, "But how do you carry THAT MUCH food?!?!". The person asking the question thought you'd have to carry ALL the food for the whole 2000+ miles. Obviously, she was not a backpacker. Once I explained resupply options, it made a lot more sense to her, and her attitude changed.

I'm not saying resupply is the sticking point for your naysayers, but maybe their framing of the issue has similar flaws?

Uriah
03-26-2015, 12:57
Living in Knoxville, TN it's definitely easier from me to get to Springer Mt then it would be to Maine.

But yet it's much more difficult to get home from Maine, logistically speaking. In the end, it's all the same, if TN is where you're returning post-hike.

I'd urge you, as others have, to go SOBO, if the goal really is to complete the journey. Though I'd previously hiked other long trails, I planned my trip for a week, from incarnation to commencement; don't be fooled into thinking you have to pour over maps and spend endless hours planning. Get your gear, get your guidebook, get in shape, and get the food you need for the first stretch. Then follow the dots (er, white blazes). It's just walking, after all. Lots of it will enable you to fully figure the act out.

Spirit Walker
03-26-2015, 13:03
A lot of thruhikers are at transition points in their lives, like you. It sounds like this is a good time for you to go, so why not go for it. Two months is plenty of time to get ready, assuming you don't have to sell a house. Logistics for the AT aren't really that difficult. Get a thruhiking guide to get a general idea of how frequently you can resupply. Don't worry about specifics yet, but get a general handle on what is meant by short term resupply and long term resupply and whether you have to hitch to a nearby town or can walk to one near the trail. Spend some time getting into shape and practicing with your gear and cameras in different conditions.

As others have said, you could do a fast hike, starting in June and finishing in early October, but if you want a more leisurely experience with more time to film, you would probably do better to go southbound or to do a flip flop. If you want to be in the midst of the NOBO thruhikers, start in Harpers Ferry. If you want to document the SOBO experience, then you will want to start in Maine. June 1 may not be possible for a starting date at Katahdin though, because of the massive amount of snow they've had this year. If you really want to start hiking the first week of June, you may have to do some sort of flip, starting farther south and hiking north to the Park after it opens.

Whatever you choose, I think you'll be glad you tried.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 13:47
Where would I fly into into Maine that would be close to the starting point?

Uriah
03-26-2015, 15:00
Where would I fly into into Maine that would be close to the starting point?

Bangor. It's not exactly close per se, but it's the closest big airport (understand that "big" is a relative term here!). From there, you'd likely need a shuttle or a bit of a walk. Search "flying to Katahdin Bangor" on Google to come up with one of the more popular services. Google can do almost everything but walk the trail for you.

Bronk
03-26-2015, 16:09
You sound kind of bitter.

The notion that anyone should receive unanimous support for taking a six month hiking vacation is honestly absurd. Of course there will be people who don't think it is a good idea. For some people, thru-hiking is a reasonable decision, if that person has the time, funding, and aren't leaving a whirlwind of $#!& in their wake. And for other people, thru-hiking is probably a terrible decision. They quit good jobs, strain and/or sever relationships, all for what is a very selfish indulgence. And then most of them from either group don't succeed at thru-hiking anyway.

I don't think there is any correlation between the support a person on the sidelines gives or doesn't give and their own accomplishments in life, regarding their choice to support or not support any particular other individual's decision to thru-hike.

And as for thru-hiking itself, I've met people with lots of accomplishments in life who thru-hiked, and I've also met thru-hikers who have few if any other accomplishments in life. It cuts both ways. There's a lot more to life than walking.I guess disappointed is probably a better word. If a friend or family member of mine were young, single, had some money in the bank and wanted to go off on an exciting adventure I'd say "wow, that's great, have fun." You don't expect that people who are supposed to care about you would try to undermine you out of a sense of jealousy.

illabelle
03-26-2015, 16:42
Bangor. It's not exactly close per se,.... From there, you'd likely need a shuttle or a bit of a walk.

To be clear, filmmaker, it's 72 miles from Bangor to Millinocket, a small town near Katahdin. "Bit of a walk" wasn't meant literally. Also, Maine has some terribly rugged terrain. You are well advised to consider a flip flop.

bigcranky
03-26-2015, 17:31
You're in Knoxville, close to the AT and some good trails. Now is the time to get out and hike some overnights, long weekends, etc. You'll need to get your gear dialed in and figure out what you really need versus what would be "nice to have" in your pack. There are good threads here on WB about gear, and plenty of good books out there, but actually hiking is the best way to figure it out. You can get local help from an outfitter, or find a local thru-hiker to hike with. If all else fails, go to Neels Gap in Georgia to the outfitter there -- they are the best in the area for specialty long distance hiking gear, and they will set you up right the first time.

Starting in June is fine, you have enough time to prepare. Starting in Maine will be very difficult -- it's the toughest part of the whole trail, and there is no support available for the first week or two. If I were in your position, I would start on the NY/CT border and head northbound to Maine. It's a relatively easier part of the trail, you can figure out the whole resupply thing more easily, get your final gear worked out, and build your trail legs before you hit the White Mountains -- from there it's just balls-to-the-wall all the way to Katahdin. Once you hit the big K, you'll be able to put together a way to get back to your starting point and walk southbound -- you'll effectively be walking home, which is great. If you make it, you'll get to hike in the South in the fall, my favorite time of year, and you get to finish twice - once on Katahdin and once on Springer. It's also easy to get someone to pick you up when you are done.

I don't know what to tell you about making a documentary. It really depends on what story you want to tell -- if it's a doc about your hike and your experiences, it's doable with minimal gear. The issue with serious photography and filmmaking on a hike is that they consume a lot of time and energy, while a long hike is about making miles.

Good luck.

Rocket Jones
03-26-2015, 18:09
I think maybe you're looking at this as an all or nothing thing, and it doesn't have to be. Like Ken suggested above, now is the time to get out there with your gear and figure out what works and what needs rethinking. A few overnights will give you a better idea of what you need to do, what video gear you need or can do without, and how much time it'll take to make your doc. There's no need to hike the whole trail right now. Start near home, hike until you get tired, run out of money, or have enough video to assemble something you like. The trail will still be there when you're ready to tackle the whole thing.

tnfilmmaker
03-26-2015, 18:31
Again, I really want to thank everyone for their words. I have a lot of thinking to do. While, I feel a little discouraged, it's okay. I don't want to jump into something this big without being prepared. The thought of the AT is exciting and overwhelming. I'm really glad I found this forum. Take care everyone!

Slo-go'en
03-26-2015, 20:45
I would not recommend doing a SOBO from Maine for a novice. A flip flop is more reasonable. Starting in June I'd start at the DWG (Delaware Water Gap). That breaks you in reasonably easy.

The equipment does not need to be bulky or heavy these days, a small HD camera or GoPro is all you need.

Many years ago before even VHS cameras came out, I helped a friend carry a TV station quality shoulder mounted camera and 3/4" video tape deck with about 20 pounds of batteries (from the local cable community access studio) up Mt Adams several times (in the late winter no less). It did turn into a pretty nice 20 minute documentary which won an award. Be glad you don't have to lug that kind of gear around!

4eyedbuzzard
03-27-2015, 09:22
I guess disappointed is probably a better word. If a friend or family member of mine were young, single, had some money in the bank and wanted to go off on an exciting adventure I'd say "wow, that's great, have fun." You don't expect that people who are supposed to care about you would try to undermine you out of a sense of jealousy.Got it. I can understand people being envious, but I agree that when it turns negative into jealousy it can hurt people they are supposed to care for. I too am/would be supportive for many, especially at transition points in their lives - before or after college, career change, end of relationship, retirement, etc. The non-supportive me kind of flares up when people put thru-hiking ahead of responsibilities to both themselves and others, like I'm bored with my otherwise great situation so I'm going to throw away years of hard work on a whim even though I've never hiked long distances before, I'm leaving college one term from graduation with no plan on finishing, I'm going to quit and collect unemployment and hike, I'm on public assistance and am going to hike (can I use my EBT at stores on the trail?), I'm leaving my wife and kids and am going to hike even though I'm not financially independent, etc. And we have heard all of this here on WB in the past, pretty much every year.

tnfilmmaker
04-07-2015, 18:19
Hey everyone. It's been about two weeks since I posted this thread. I just wanted (again) to thank every one for their input and thoughts.
I have taken a lot of time to think about thru hiking the trail and what it would entail. I have done so much reading, research, watched YouTube videos etc in the last two weeks that it has been a little overwhelming. It has always been in the back of my mind to thru hike the trail but I had no idea what it would really take to do this and successfully finish. I was naive.
But after all the research and some perspective, I made a lot of decisions. I still plan on thru hiking the trail but on a later date! I am planning late Feb or early March of 2016. I want to be prepared as much as possible to complete this. I know it doesn't matter how much I plan and prepare there will always be "unexpected" circumstances. This is a dream of mine and I was rushing into it without thinking. Now with a clear mind I am.
I know there is still a lot of things I need to do to prepare and I am absolutely going to do so before this happens. Thanks again everyone.

rickb
04-07-2015, 19:08
Post deleted.

tnfilmmaker
04-07-2015, 21:37
Why?

rickb
04-08-2015, 11:45
Why?

If you are asking why I deleated my post, it was because I had not read you well-considered plan prior to writing it.

My basic thrust was "just go for it" but I was probaly a bit over the top -- I think I made mention of how Lewis and Clark lacked experince crossing a continent, but they did OK in the end.

I also suggested that you pass off your camera to the grizzled Northbounders you would meet up in Maine and have them record their thoughts on whether you would make it to springer while you stepped away.

I think I added something about how one could get all the experience the needed to do a Sobo over the course of a couple weeks-- which is something I firmly believe, but might not be accepted wisdom.

And it went on and on and on 🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

tnfilmmaker
04-08-2015, 12:03
If you are asking why I deleated my post, it was because I had not read you well-considered plan prior to writing it.

My basic thrust was "just go for it" but I was probaly a bit over the top -- I think I made mention of how Lewis and Clark lacked experince crossing a continent, but they did OK in the end.

I also suggested that you pass off your camera to the grizzled Northbounders you would meet up in Maine and have them record their thoughts on whether you would make it to springer while you stepped away.

I think I added something about how one could get all the experience the needed to do a Sobo over the course of a couple weeks-- which is something I firmly believe, but might not be accepted wisdom.

And it went on and on and on [emoji203][emoji203][emoji203][emoji203][emoji203][emoji203]

Oh! Lol. I thought the "thread" was being deleted. I'm sorry, that's why I was asking "why?" Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Son Driven
04-08-2015, 12:27
If I started a June 1 Hike, I would begin NOBO @ Rockfish Gap, taking the advantage of the ease, and waysides of the Shenandoah's. Plenty of trail to develop the trail legs needed for the Whites. SOBO through the Smokey's during the height of the fall color change.

Shutterbug
04-08-2015, 12:35
Hello everyone. I've recently decided that I am planning on thru hiking the AT starting early June. It's a very long story on why I'm doing this but I have a few questions. When telling friends, family etc about hiking the AT, anyone else get "are you crazy?" "What are you thinking?" "What is wrong with you?" I've gotten no support with this decision. I am quitting my job and plan on going alone. My 13 year relationship is practically over and I feel completely lost and need some "direction." I've been wanting to hike the AT for years but have always made excuses on why I couldn't. I have this overwhelming sense that now is the right time. I need to just get away for a bit and challenge myself to accomplish goal. Not only am I just wanting to thru hike the AT but I plan on filming it as well. I have a side job, mainly in the summer, filming weddings. I become pretty good at it and I have always had a dream of shooting a documentary. I want this experience to be that doc. Any advice would be appreciated.

You asked for advice. I have nothing to add about the hike or the film, but I do have some advice about the 13 year relationship -- don't let it just slip away. You have invested a major part of your life in that relationship. If you let it end without giving your best effort to save it, you will have regrets for the rest of your life. If you start the hike "completely lost", it is doubtful that you will find yourself in the woods. It can get awfully lonely in the woods.

Traveler
04-11-2015, 06:15

There are a lot of misconceptions about Captain Meriwether Lewis and Lt. William Clark. These were hardly inexperienced men. Lewis was a highly skilled frontiersman, which was the primary reason President Jefferson selected him to lead the expedition. Lewis chose Clark as second in command due to his considerable experience in expeditionary adventures and skills in dealing with native indian tribes which proved instrumental. Though some of the scientists of the expedition may have lacked experience in crossing new territories, Lewis and Clark did not, which is how they got to Chinook WA and the Pacific ocean.

I understand the comparison you were shooting for, but it was akin to saying Sir Edmund Hillary lacked mountaineering experience but did OK on Everest anyway.

clayzoo
04-11-2015, 09:01
You should do a SOBO hike. It would be too much of an endeavor to get to Katadin by October coming from Georgia. Plus not as many people have taped SOBO thru hikes. Good luck.