PDA

View Full Version : Disinformation concerning the Wapiti Shelter

clishmaclaver
03-26-2015, 14:56
The current shelter is where the murders took place back in 1981. Some people assume that the old shelter was replaced as a result of the murders. This was not the case. The victims stayed at the newly built shelter. The old shelter was replaced years later as a result of being old. This has been discussed in the past at length, but I still see the disinformation in journal entries or books such as Model T's. This might seem fairly unimportant, but I think some hikers might want to know.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-26-2015, 16:48
I recall reading that the current Wapiti Shelter is at a different location than the old shelter. Not far away, but occupying a different footprint, and something like a quarter-mile from the old site. I might have read this while looking up the status of the Forest Service Road which climbs out of the Dismal Creek valley starting with a turn essentially at the old site. I faintly recall reading that the old shelter site was where the road out of Dismal Creek first turns uphill, then leading over Flat Top Mountain and crossing the AT again at Horse Gap, and ultimately connecting to Sugar Run road, at which Woods Hole sits at the end of.

AO

Slo-go'en
03-26-2015, 17:43
The only problem I have with the Wapiti shelter is it's too close to the horse trails. They like to ride their horses up the shelter and leave trash. Jezz, their on a frigg'en horse you'd think they could carry their garbage out with them! Try to avoid the place on a weekend when the riders are out in force. Or not, maybe you could score some beer...

clishmaclaver
03-26-2015, 20:13
Yes, the current shelter is at a different locale than the old one. The victims stayed at the new one. The old one was still there and was demolished years later. Lone Wolf and Rick Hancock can verify.

Pedaling Fool
03-27-2015, 08:31
Should've used the word Misinformation in the title, not disinformation. Words matter.

clishmaclaver
03-27-2015, 12:40
I agree. "Misinformation" is the correct word, but no way to edit it as far as I know.