PDA

View Full Version : light weight containers

squeezebox
03-26-2015, 17:00
Pretty much all of the better peanut butter, jelly, and a lot of other stuff, comes in glass jars. What's the best way to get lighter plastic containers the right size to transfer the contents to.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2015, 17:37
Most outfitters like EMS, REI and the like carry Nalgene bottle of various sizes like 4 oz, 8 oz, etc. http://specialtybottle.com/ also has a wide selection of containers to choose from.

PB comes in plastic but finding the smaller (8 or 12 oz) jars can be a problem. You can also get single serve containers or packets, but you end up with a lot of trash. Jelly is more of a problem. Plastic jars are also common but finding small sizes is difficult. I often carry a 8 oz plastic container for jelly and buy a high priced brand like Smuckers since they sell it in smaller (but glass) jars. I once carried a mason jar of homemade jam i bought at a farm stand I passed by. It was heavy, but it was good!

Besides PB+J, I really can't think of anything else in glass I'd want to carry. A jar of pickles? Tomato sauce? Mayonnaise? Olives?

Old Hiker
03-26-2015, 17:42
I use a LOT of mayo or miracle whip jars - the older ones that have an opening the size of the container. Jelly comes in squeeze plastic bottles, as well. I've seen PB in the smaller containers in the stores.

The larger containers that Kool-Aid or lemonade come in are good as well.

Rolls Kanardly
03-26-2015, 17:52
Various sizes of plastic prescription bottle have some uses. They can be a little heavier than the thin plastic but they are small and quite easy to carry. If you dehydrate wet wipes (a 16 oz container of wet wipes drops to 4 oz) you can put three or four or more sheets into one container when it is time to hydrate and add a tablespoon or so.

Rolls

One Half
03-26-2015, 18:00
MY PB&J comes in plastic jars.

Sunwolf
03-27-2015, 00:39
http://tinyurl.com/o6whuav

4eyedbuzzard
03-27-2015, 08:56
Just fair warning from experience that the Ziplock Twist n Loc, Glad LockWare and other screw lid containers all leak slightly. They aren't watertight and will leak in your pack. Old plastic PB jars are better if you need a screw top. Prescription bottles, as mentioned, are good for smaller sizes. Otherwise, those soup containers that Chinese restaurants use are pretty good too.

Thinspace
03-27-2015, 13:42
Do they still make Jerry (Gerry) tubes? i used to use them in the 70's. They were a tube similar to a toothpaste tube with a cap on one end and the other end open with reattachable clip to seal the end. I primarialy put peanut butter or margarine in them. I saw one in use recently ina youtube video about the JMT.

swisscross
03-27-2015, 15:08
Do they still make Jerry (Gerry) tubes? i used to use them in the 70's. They were a tube similar to a toothpaste tube with a cap on one end and the other end open with reattachable clip to seal the end. I primarialy put peanut butter or margarine in them. I saw one in use recently ina youtube video about the JMT.

yes they do...

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2

BirdBrain
03-27-2015, 15:25
The lightest item is the one you leave behind. I know that might not seem helpful, but it is true. Containers imply liquids. Liquids often imply low calorie densities. Containers are heavy relative to zip locks. If a food item needs a container, it does not ride in my pack. I love jelly and the like too. I like a lighter pack even more. To each there own. However, the right way is often found by considering another way.

Namtrag
03-27-2015, 16:10
We use those refillable see through tubes that you can buy at the camping store. They are like giant toothpaste tubes. The nice thing about them is as you eat the peanut butter, the tube gets smaller and takes up less room in your pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-6960070016&mr:trackingCode=0839D626-F8FA-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=74537622280&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=126983807080&msid=mBrDUyH3_dc|pcrid|74537622280|

lisaj825
03-27-2015, 16:27
Last summer while hiking the AT in North Carolina, I bought an 8 oz plastic jar of peanut butter in Franklin at the Dollar General. Nice size, no leaking. I've not looked in other Dollar General's, but you might check it out.