PDA

View Full Version : summer sleeping bag advice wanted

DavidNH
11-06-2005, 10:28
Hi,

I have a good Feathered friends down bag that I will be using in Georgia next March. Of course being rated to 10 degrees, wont be long till it is a tad or way too warm. So I will need a second and lighter sleeping bag. I figure from about After Perrisburg, VA. My current 3 season bag long size weighs 3 pounds.

So I am sleeping a sleeping bag that would be under 2 pounds (for size large to fit up to 6'6 as I am 6'3) rated to 35-45 degrees) preferably down to be very compressible, and will be able to withstand the riggers of an AT thru hike.

I have been doing a lot of internet research and the bags that I am interested in at this point are:

Western Mountaineering Highlight
Western Mountaineering Caribou MF
Mountain Hardwear Phantome 45

One problem is that There is no store near me that I know of seems to sell Western Mountaineering bags and they don't ship directly (one has to go through a dealer).

What do you think? Which bag would be best for my upcoming AT hike? is each as good as the other? any down sides to either of these bags?

please help!

David

vipahman
11-06-2005, 12:37
I recently purchased the Highlite based on feedback from this forum. It costs $230, packs real small, weighs 1 lb, is rated to 35 degrees. I used it in 40 degree weather and it worked for me.

jackiebolen
11-06-2005, 12:51
I have the Mountain Hardwear bag and love it. I would definitely recommend it but can't really tell you that iif it's better than the WM ones or not.

Whistler
11-06-2005, 13:01
I also have the MH P45, and it is also a very good choice. A great hood, well made, and tough fabric [but it can be clammy]. The Caribou has the full zip going for it, a quality shell, and I think it's a bit roomier as well. The Highlite, of course, is 1/2lb lighter than the other two. And it also has a super-breathable and comfy fabric which would put it over the top for humid AT conditions. I got my MH for $50; but because all three are roughly the same price range, I'd go with the Highlite if you can't find any sweet sales or clearances.

-Mark

Just Jeff
11-06-2005, 13:08
Might check out the Speer Frog Sac.

www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com) and click on Products.

Footslogger
11-06-2005, 13:58
REI makes 2 models of something called the "Travel Sack". One is down and the other is synthetic. I own the synthetic model. Good to about 45 - 50 degrees and weights a little over a pound. Nice thing is that it has a drawstring at the foot end so that you can "wear" the bag like a coat if you have to get out of the tent on a cool morning.

'Slogger

chris
11-06-2005, 14:09
You can order Western Mountaineering bags from Backcountry Gear:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/

I'd highly recommend the Highlite for summer AT hiking. There is a review of it that I wrote in the Gear Reviews section. I've slept a ton of nights in it over the last (almost) three years. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs, with broad shoulders and find the narrow cut is just fine with me.

Uncle Silly
11-06-2005, 17:18
I'd highly recommend the Highlite for summer AT hiking. [...] I've slept a ton of nights in it over the last (almost) three years. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs, with broad shoulders and find the narrow cut is just fine with me.

Caveats about the Highlite: this bag has a half-length zipper, so on really warm nights it's not very useful. I found it too hot to use in the summer, even with the zipper all the way open, and since the zipper doesn't open the whole length of the bag, I couldn't use the bag as a quilt over me.

Eventually I replaced the bag with a down quilt from WM -- the Cloud 9 Comforter -- that I could pull over me or throw off as needed during the night. The Highlite is a good bag, but too hot for me during the summer -- I'd use it primarily during spring and fall. YMMV.

Seeker
11-07-2005, 08:22
Hi,

I have a good Feathered friends down bag that I will be using in Georgia next March. Of course being rated to 10 degrees, wont be long till it is a tad or way too warm. So I will need a second and lighter sleeping bag. I figure from about After Perrisburg, VA. My current 3 season bag long size weighs 3 pounds.

So I am sleeping a sleeping bag that would be under 2 pounds (for size large to fit up to 6'6 as I am 6'3) rated to 35-45 degrees) preferably down to be very compressible, and will be able to withstand the riggers of an AT thru hike.

I have been doing a lot of internet research and the bags that I am interested in at this point are:

Western Mountaineering Highlight
Western Mountaineering Caribou MF
Mountain Hardwear Phantome 45

One problem is that There is no store near me that I know of seems to sell Western Mountaineering bags and they don't ship directly (one has to go through a dealer).

What do you think? Which bag would be best for my upcoming AT hike? is each as good as the other? any down sides to either of these bags?

please help!

David

i looked back and forth between the highlite and caribou... i think they're both rated at 35*, but i liked the full length zipper so i could stick my fet out the bottom... the shell fabric of the caribou is slightly thicker and therefore more durable, but i think it does make the bag a tiny bit heavier. don't remember exactly how much. but i bought the caribou, am very pleased with it, and would buy it again.

chris
11-07-2005, 10:47
Caveats about the Highlite: this bag has a half-length zipper, so on really warm nights it's not very useful. I found it too hot to use in the summer, even with the zipper all the way open, and since the zipper doesn't open the whole length of the bag, I couldn't use the bag as a quilt over me.

Bring a silk liner. Problem solved and the bag stays clean.