PDA

View Full Version : first time hammocker- what do I need to stay warm?

sydneymkay
03-27-2015, 16:12
I will be hiking NOBO from May to late august- how much insulation and warmth will I need? I have a hennessy ultralite backpacker and a 40* marmot bag right now.

couscous
03-27-2015, 16:49
Get on https://www.hammockforums.net and do some reading.
You will need an underquilt or decent pad to lay on to avoid CBS = cold butt syndrome.

sydneymkay
03-27-2015, 16:59
Yeah I really shouldve looked around a bit before asking this question. Now if I could only figure out how to delete this thread to hide my rashness...

tiptoe
03-27-2015, 17:03
You will definitely want a pad and/or a warmer bag, at least until you get into Virginia, in my opinion. When in May are you leaving? Florida isn't the best location to test cold-weather sleeping setups, but I'd suggest at least trying the setup you have under different conditions and seeing how you feel.

sydneymkay
03-27-2015, 17:34
When in May are you leaving?
Around May 6.

fastfoxengineering
03-27-2015, 17:37
Hammockers either go with an underquilt or pad for bottom insulation. Your marmot bag will probably work for may to august.

I would say pick up a 3/4 length 20* underquilt and sitpad if funds allow for it.

nothing wrong with a used underquilt from a reputable cottage company.

underquilts take hammocking to a whole new level.

fastfoxengineering
03-27-2015, 17:39
and if you wanted to go the pad route, I would pick up one of gossamer gears thinlite pads. Most important thing is they're extra wide.. like 40 inches or something. That's what you want in a hammock. regular 20" pads don't offer enough bottom insulation for shoulders and such. too much fiddle factor.

It's just a pain to pack.

what kind of tarp you got with that Hennessy?

sydneymkay
03-27-2015, 17:50
what kind of tarp you got with that Hennessy?

I have the tarp that came with it.

sydneymkay
03-27-2015, 17:52
Is there a place I can go to look at the cheapest underquilt options? I guess I was a little hasty buying my hammock and didn't know I would need a whole other piece of equiptment. Im on a kind of tight budget as it is.

Dochartaigh
03-27-2015, 19:16
Cheapest underquilt that I know of is still $100. It's the 3/4 length Jarbidge by Arrowhead Equipment. You'll need a piece of closed cell foam to keep your lower legs warm. It's rated to 25º for the 3-season if my memory serves, and I use it all the way through summer (just hung looser when it's hotter out).

couscous
03-27-2015, 19:46
Hopefully you have a newer model with side entry. The original with bottom entry made using underquilts or pads impossible. I had mine modified to close the bottom slit and add zippers to both sides. A string tied onto the zipper pull makes it easier to close the zipper when laying down. I normally use a Thermarest Prolite 3 with my Hennessy.

Sandy of PA
03-27-2015, 19:48
You will need a pad for the shelters in the Smokeys, this may affect your choice between pad or underquilt.

Second Hand
03-27-2015, 19:48
I've used my hammock down to about 20 degrees w/ just a sleeping pad. If you roll off the pad, it gets awful cold. I wouldn't invest in under quilt personally. It's not going to be all that cold.

Dochartaigh
03-27-2015, 21:33
I've used my hammock down to about 20 degrees w/ just a sleeping pad. If you roll off the pad, it gets awful cold. I wouldn't invest in under quilt personally. It's not going to be all that cold.

The entire point for most people who choose a hammock is because, for them, it's so much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent. Those same people, by the vast majority, find an underquilt to be exponentially more comfortable than using a pad in a hammock. So in a nutshell (speaking for myself and a large portion of hammockers) using a pad in a hammock defeats the entire purpose of using a hammock to begin with. YMMV or course as it's all personal preference.

If I had the choice of using a pad in a hammock, or sleeping in a tent with said pad, I'd vote for the tent.

Second Hand
03-27-2015, 21:51
The entire point for most people who choose a hammock is because, for them, it's so much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent. Those same people, by the vast majority, find an underquilt to be exponentially more comfortable than using a pad in a hammock. So in a nutshell (speaking for myself and a large portion of hammockers) using a pad in a hammock defeats the entire purpose of using a hammock to begin with. YMMV or course as it's all personal preference.

If I had the choice of using a pad in a hammock, or sleeping in a tent with said pad, I'd vote for the tent.

I switched to a Hammock for hiking the LT. The ground gets awfully muddy and there are plenty of trees around. I have never used my hammock without a pad, even in the summer, simply because if your hiking on the AT or LT, you spend most nights in shelters and you'll need to carry a pad anyway.

An under quilt never made a lot of sense to me. It's just added weight for an AT hiker in my opinion.

What does YMMV mean? All of these new acronyms have me totally lost! I'm only 32, but when I have to message the kids just out of college at work, I swear it's like we speak two different languages! Now I know how my father felt!

ChrisJackson
03-27-2015, 23:24
I think its "your mileage may vary". I'll be testing my hammock tomorrow night with a pad, reflector, and 25* bag. Probably somewhere on the Coosa Backcountry Trail, not sure. May get down to 20* or so. It'll be the coldest temps I've hammocked in.

Jake2c
03-27-2015, 23:31
I use a back country bed with a heat reflective air mattress in the attached sleeve. I also use a heat reflective emergency blanket underneath. Have also used a hot water bottle along with good smart wool long underwear. I have been into the upper 20s and slept fine.

scope
03-27-2015, 23:49

And speaking for just about any hammocker that I know, no way in hell am I sleeping in a tent if I have an opportunity to sleep in a hammock. ;)

Pads are designed to be flat. Their R-value is based on stable temperatures underneath. But hammockers have been using pads for a long time. It may be a case of "you don't know what you're missing" with an UQ, but go ahead and use the pad and you'll be fine. Its not a perfect marriage, but there's no need to get anything more than what you were using for your tent.

ChrisJackson
03-28-2015, 07:25
25* bag. Scratch that. Taking the big bag instead. It's cold out on the porch! Would've been a good backyard test but...not going to be in the backyard...

tiptoe
03-28-2015, 11:10
Pads are cheaper than underquilts, and don't feel bad about the Hennessey hammock. I've been using one since 2006 and I love it. I do use a 9x9 tarp, no longer made, from JacksRBetter, and that's a bit more forgiving to set up than the small tarp that comes with the hammock. I also have a Gossamer Gear wide pad, which is currently cut down to a width of 30 in. It's a little bulky to carry but it cuts down on drafts.

For the record, I'm a very cold sleeper. Last year I hiked mid-April to mid-May from Daleville to Damascus (Virginia) and there were nights in the 30s. You'll be at higher altitudes when you get to the Smokies. You can get good gear advice, I'm told, at Mountain Crossings outfitter, which is right on the trail about 30 miles into your hike, if you need to make adjustments after you start.

ChrisJackson
03-29-2015, 18:54
Hi sydneymkay, tested my Hennessey (bottom entry), 25* bag, REI Flash pad, and reflector last night...it gone down to about 34* F. I was warm, not toasty, but warm. (I'm a cold sleeper). But, I found getting on the pad and staying on the pad tedious. It's prompted me to start considering underquilts, reconfigure my hammock for side-entry, or, just get a new hammock. The current gear could work, but I'd rather try to refine it a bit...hope this helps a little.

couscous
03-29-2015, 20:02
If you want to consider modification options:
http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/page17.html

Sent from my pocket computer using Tapatalk

tiptoe
03-30-2015, 09:36
Don't assume that you can't use a bottom-entry Hennessey hammock with a pad. That's my setup, and it's really not that complicated to lay out the pad on the diagonal, head end to the right (as you face the hammock from the foot end) and foot end to the left, with your sleeping bag on top and open at least halfway down (mine is a right zip). To enter, you stand up in the opening facing the foot of the hammock, lie down on your back, and put your feet into the bag, then zip as needed. I am not all that agile, and I do this with ease.

Some prefer hammocks, some prefer tents. Ultimately, you decide for yourself.

northernfrostbite
03-30-2015, 10:20
I leave NOBO April 19th and have the following setup:

Grand Trunk Nano Hammock.
Hammock Gear 3/4 length 40° underquilt.
Klymit X frame sleeping pad.
Mountain Hardware Phantom 15° bag.
Hammock Gear 4 season cuben tarp.

If it's cold I put the pad in the bag and use the uq. No problemo.

If I need to go the ground, I bring a polycro groundsheet and use the pad.

My only worry is that the bag will get too warm past the Smokies. Considering a 30° top quilt and selling the bag.

Farr Away
03-30-2015, 10:59
For my bottom-entry Hennessy hammock, I started with the ccf pad I had and later switched to an underquilt. Using the underquilt with the bottom entry is easy - just move the underquilt to the side to get in, then use your foot to re-position it once you're in.

-FA

fastfoxengineering
03-30-2015, 14:50
I leave NOBO April 19th and have the following setup:

Grand Trunk Nano Hammock.
Hammock Gear 3/4 length 40° underquilt.
Klymit X frame sleeping pad.
Mountain Hardware Phantom 15° bag.
Hammock Gear 4 season cuben tarp.

If it's cold I put the pad in the bag and use the uq. No problemo.

If I need to go the ground, I bring a polycro groundsheet and use the pad.

My only worry is that the bag will get too warm past the Smokies. Considering a 30° top quilt and selling the bag.

Inspect that nano often, odds are in won't make the whole trip north. LonerAT2012 used one and had to replace his. It failed him and he spent 2 "miserable days" on the ground. I was going to use a nano for strictly weight reasons but they are small and not built for the rigors of a thru hike. It should treat you well, but plan on replacing it.

I'm going to go with a 10'long x 58"wide diy hammock out of something a tad more resilient for greater comfort and durability.

ChrisJackson
03-30-2015, 21:30
For my bottom-entry Hennessy hammock, I started with the ccf pad I had and later switched to an underquilt. Using the underquilt with the bottom entry is easy - just move the underquilt to the side to get in, then use your foot to re-position it once you're in.

-FA

Sounds promising! Did you use the super shelter system from Hennessy, or another quilt?

Hawk i
03-30-2015, 22:55
I just had a hang at 27* and 8" of snow. I used 0* bag, Reflectix and Xtherm pad. Toasty warm. I just switched to a DL and can now put it all between the layers for ease of in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
03-31-2015, 15:03
Seems like a Jacks 'R' Better "The Nest" underquilt would work great for my bottom entry Hennessy...pricey...but seems like it is worth every penny. When is payday again....

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the-nest/

Trying to get by without the zipper mod (thanks for the link though, couscous (keepin' it handy))

ChrisJackson
03-31-2015, 21:50
Just ordered it. Their video really sold me.

Farr Away
04-01-2015, 12:16
Sounds promising! Did you use the super shelter system from Hennessy, or another quilt?
I purchased a KAQ underquilt and a Rayway overquilt kit that I customized to me.

I was going to make my own underquilt, but I got impatient.

ChrisJackson
04-04-2015, 16:31
Quilts here! Great customer service at JRB! Can't wait to try it out.

Rising3agle
04-07-2015, 20:06
For me, I'm also relatively new to hammock camping - it only took me one night to be sold. I doubt I will ever choose to sleep in a tent over a hammock again.

I have also found that my current sleep system does relatively well down to 35 degrees.

Since I assume that at SOME point I'm not going to get to sleep in a hammock at least one night on a thru-hike (and I would bet it will be at least a dozen nights or more), I have tried to approach my sleep system with this in mind. In other words - I want to have the flexibility to be comfortable in a hammock, but have the ability to sleep on the ground if I had to.

I use a relatively heavy sleeping bag, but use it almost like an overquilt. I unzip it all the way, put my feet into the box, and drape it over me. If it's especially cold, I will sleep in the bag as normal - zipped up, with it all around me.
underneath me (in the hammock) I use an air mattress. It's an older (as in, heavy - almost 2lb) one, and I don't inflate it all the way. When I close it, it's a bit soft, which still provides the insulation but by being a bit soft I rarely (almost never) have it sliding around under me. It's a full size - 20" x 72".

So - I can take those two pieces of gear, and sleep on the ground if I have to, and still not be too uncomfortable. But they also work (for me) quite well in a hammock. But - because it's a poly sleeping bag and an older air mattress, the two of them together weigh almost 6lb. If I invested in a down filled bag (next purchase) and a lightweight NeoAir (also next purchase) that would total 3lb and still provide me comfort at around 35 degrees.

It was a big deal for me to be able to go to ground if I had to, without being miserably uncomfortable on hard ground. So I've chosen to go the air matt route inside my hammock, which works well. I have no doubt eventually I'll want to invest in an UQ - but I would definitely recommend against thinking you HAD to purchase another piece of gear just because you're a hanger now; air mattresses work quite well in hammocks, especially if you let them go a bit soft.

gunner76
04-11-2015, 22:18
If you are new to hammock hanging then I strongly recommend that you find a group hammock hang in your area and attend it even if you just visit for the day. Great place to meet folks who camp in hammocks on a regular basis, check out different set ups, ask questions and if you ask, most hangers will let you try their hammocks. Sometimes vendors will also attend the hangs and show off their gear and they are always happy to answer your questions.

My wife and I have used pads, air mattress and Under Quilts...we both agree that UQs are the way to go for comfort in a hammock.

If you are going to use a pad, find one about 24+" wide. You end up slipping off the narrow (20") pads.

The Jarbridge UQ 3 Season is a great UQ and low cost...about $115 with shipping. I own and use the 1, 3 and 4 Season versions. I have used the 1S version on the AT in the summer. I find I don't need a footpad with a 3/4 length UQ...I just throw a jacket down at the foot end and place my feet on top.

Air mattresses work, but for me they are too heavy and bulky and not that comfortable in a hammock and has the same problem as a pad in the width.

kayak karl
04-12-2015, 02:54
You will need a pad for the shelters in the Smokeys, this may affect your choice between pad or underquilt.
just grab a pad for the 6 days. no use being uncomfortable for 5 months.

billnchristy
05-13-2015, 18:45
We just started hiking and slept in our hammocks for the first time last weekend. My wife and I both had "woobies" or Army poncho liners and our daughter had a fleece sleeping bag. She seemed to stay warm while we freezed our butts off. We are definitely looking for an underquilt now, even in low 60s you will need it.

ChrisJackson
05-13-2015, 19:55
We just started hiking and slept in our hammocks for the first time last weekend. My wife and I both had "woobies" or Army poncho liners and our daughter had a fleece sleeping bag. She seemed to stay warm while we freezed our butts off. We are definitely looking for an underquilt now, even in low 60s you will need it. Agreed. I'll be year-round in the Nest UQ. Keeps ya warm. Skeeters can't bite through it.

FlyFishNut
05-13-2015, 22:16
I have a question - (not to hijack your thread and it is related). I mainly bought a hammock to use in the summer when it's really hot and to keep from baking in my tent. I do agree the hammock is loads more comfy than sleeping on the ground.

But for winter camping, it seems when you end up packing all the extra stuff, etc to stay warm you end up carrying more weight and bulk (upper quilts, lower quilts, a bag, maybe a pad, etc). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to sleep in a hammock in the cold, but it seems like a huge increase in sleeping gear and costs. Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am - b/c I'd love to be a winter hammocker).

ChrisJackson
05-14-2015, 05:53
For winter, top and bottom quilts. No pad or bag. Temperature appropriate down is light and compressible. The TQ + UQ will roughly be equivalent to 1 down bag. Hope this helps. Backyard weather tests are great shakedowns.

Billiard Yeti
05-14-2015, 14:18
just grab a pad for the 6 days. no use being uncomfortable for 5 months.

Hope this isn't a stupid question. Why can't you hang there? Is this an area without trees to hang in? Sorry for not knowing...

billnchristy
05-14-2015, 20:23
Required to stay in shelters in the Smokies unless they are full.

pdmayfield
11-01-2015, 18:09
I will be hiking NOBO from May to late august- how much insulation and warmth will I need? I have a hennessy ultralite backpacker and a 40* marmot bag right now.

I used a hammock for the first time Oct 18-21, 2015. I used the Hennessy Standard. I have a 35* marmot bag. The first night got a bit chilly because it was windy (mid to high 30s, low 30s or high 20s with windchill but don't know for certain). But other than that, all I used was a sleeping pad (no underquilt). Other nights probably got to low 40s or high 30s (but don't know for certain).

I loved the experience and will probably hammock camp going forward; however, I took the one I used back. I'm 6'4'' and my only complaint was needing 1-3 inches more room, which the Deluxe provides room up to 7'. I plan on buying the longer hammock at a later date.

I will consider buying an underquilt if I ever camp in weather 10-15 degrees colder than it was on my trip in mid October.

gbolt
11-01-2015, 21:10
I have a question - (not to hijack your thread and it is related). I mainly bought a hammock to use in the summer when it's really hot and to keep from baking in my tent. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to sleep in a hammock in the cold, but it seems like a huge increase in sleeping gear and costs. Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am - b/c I'd love to be a winter hammocker).

If you like it in the summer... you will like it in the winter. The only issue with a hammock is insulation from below to stop air from stealing your heat. It is a learning curve that you start off cheap with your tent sleeping bag and pad. Stick with that until you decide to go with the UQ then the TQ. UQ's go from 3/4 to full length and lower cost synthetic to high cost down. Most try to get away with one UQ to start and that seems to be the 20º. My system is a 3/4 Down UQ with the Thermarest Z-Lite for use in the Smokies and below 10º. Anywhere else, I just take a Dutch Sit pad for my feet and a $300 Truck Window Shade as a back up pad. Haven't used either pad yet. The one thing different is that I now alway's have a hat or head covering for bed. If my feet get cold I slap that on my head. Even nights in the 40º to 50º will warm up nicely with a hat. With TQ's you don't have the advantage of a mummy bag hood but my TQ/UQ is less weight than my 20º mummy bag. If interested: UQ = 12.3 oz and TQ = 19.5 oz.

I cannot see myself going back to the ground if I can avoid it. The main reason is a more comfortable sleep without worrying about a clean site to pitch and lay on. I swing above the muck, wet, and roots. But weight will work out however you want to work it out. Cost is Cost. Hike your own hike but don't give up on the hammock. One last suggestion - stretch it to 3 seasons and enjoy the tent in the deep winter. Pretty soon your tent will be staying home all year long.

andyg
11-03-2015, 10:38
Pads aren't as comfortable, but if you're on a budget a wal-mart foam pad is super cheap and very light. I'd start with a pad before I invested in an underquilt, especially if you are new to hammock camping.

+1 to gbolts comment.

ChuckT
11-20-2015, 13:00
$300.00 for a truck window shade?

Mtsman
11-26-2015, 04:29

This comment 100%. after you go UQ its not often you will go back. After I used a pad for over a year i deduced that pads are for tents and grounds, neither of which you will worry about while sleeping in a hammock.

Kerosene
11-26-2015, 07:47
Agree with the above comments: an UQ is the way to go if you're going to swing anytime outside of high summer. I still haven't seen anyone lay out a warm, comfy hammock setup that beats my zPacks setup, but the hammock with under-insulation will definitely be more comfortable than anything on the ground.

tflaris
11-26-2015, 21:30
Agree with the 3 above posts. UQ are the way to go if your budget permits.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

squeezebox
11-27-2015, 13:41
What do you need to stay warm??
A tent
A sleeping bag
A good pad

Hey!! Just pulling your chain!