PDA

View Full Version : Gear List

MichaelRedBeard
03-27-2015, 16:48
So far this is my gear list for my Appalachian thru hike does anyone have any add-ons or substitutions (I will be leaving on April 15th:

Backpack
Stove/1 liter pot/fuel/spoon
Sleeping Bag(25 degree Down)/Sleeping Pad/Pillow
Tent
Water Filter
3L Water Bladder
Trekking Poles
Headlamp
Pocket Knife
Small First Aid Kit
Bear Bag
Pocket Shower
Sunscreen
Body Glide (Anti-Chafe Stick)
Bug Spray
Mosquito Headnet
Safari Hat
AT Profile Maps and AWOL Guide
Compass
Notebook/Pen
Iphone (acting also as my camera)
Rain Jacket/Rain Pants
Conversion Pants
Pajama Pants Or Sweat Pants
Exofficio Travel Tshirt
Exofficio Long Sleeve Shirt
Fleece sweatshirt
Two Pairs of Wool Socks
Beanie

BirdBrain
03-27-2015, 16:57
Skip the PJs and pocket shower or don't if you really want them. ;) Get Darn Tough socks. Add earplugs and a way to maintain your toenails.

SteelCut
03-27-2015, 17:02
Agree with BirdBrain on those items.

My $0.02 is that I would get rid of the rain pants. Most find they are too hot (especially since you are leaving relatively late) and you sweat so much in them that you still get wet ... from your own perspiration. A lot of folks end up sending rain pants home or only wear them when they are doing their laundry :)

I'm using a rain kilt instead. It provides better ventilation and decent coverage. YMMV.

You might want to post the brand/model of your pack, sleeping bag, and tent. You might be able to refine your choices if we had more info.

MichaelRedBeard
03-27-2015, 17:46
May I ask why people bring earplugs? At the time of year I am going do you guys Think Ill even need a fleece. I was imagining that I might need it in the mountains. Didn't think of clippers for my nails (good call). In terms of not using rainpants what do you guys think about have your socks exposed to the rain and your boots getting wet due to absorption of water through your socks.

In terms of pack, tent, and sleeping bag here is what I have...

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone 3LB 3800ci pack (Already own and really love)

MSR 2P Nook 3LB 8oz (Have not purchased yet, so I am open for suggestions. However, I have found one person tents not to shave that much weight and to be pretty cramped)

Western Mountaineering Alder MF 25 degree Down Bag 1LB 15oz (Already own and really love)

BirdBrain
03-27-2015, 17:59
I wear earplugs because the critters scurrying around wake me up. They are rude like that. I don't worry about snoring people. My tent is not that close to people.

I don't wear boots. Nor am I overly concerned about my feet getting wet. The body glide protects my feet and my trail runners dry quick.

fastfoxengineering
03-27-2015, 18:12
On most of an AT thru hike, rain gear is one of those items you won't use everyday but want to have. Many ditch rain pants but keep their jacket as your legs require less insulation to be safe.

I don't recommend waterproof shoes on the AT. They sound great on paper, but you'll soon find that the east coast is well... damp. Your always gonna be damp. And when it rains, well there's nothing you can do about keeping your shoes completely dry. sooner or later the rain will come in through the tops, they'll soak through, or you'll go up to your knee in a mud puddle. The problem with waterproof shoes is the take forever to dry. Alot of us on this forum prefer lightweight, breathable trailrunners with darn tough socks. Great combo. You want your feet to breath. Boots get hot. Every switching to breathable hiking shoes and darn toughs, I've never had a problem with my feet. People I see wearing waterproof boots gernerally develop trench foot at some point on the trail.

If you haven't already bought your tent, I wouldn't recommend buying something that weighs 3lbs 8oz. If you already had it and like it, I'd say go for it. I feel like you would be interested in one of tarptent's offerings. Check them out. They offer some great 1-2 person single and double wall shelters in the 2-3lb range. Very popular on the AT. I would recommend a protrail or notch if you can deal with a 1 person tent. Vestibule space is great!

Your WM bag should serve you well.

Your GG pack should serve you well.

Earplugs are good if you sleep in a shelter or are having trouble falling asleep. People snore. Very, very loudly.

No water bladders for me. Great for day hikes. A pain on a thru hike imho. I prefer 2x 1L gatorade bottles and a 2L platy softbottle. I can mix powdered drinks in the gatorade bottles and rotate them with new ones every so often. They're light and plenty durable. You'll find most thru-hikers are using gatorade/powerade/smartwater/soda bottles.

Ditch the pocket shower. A bandana or packtowel is nice to just wipe yourself down at the end of the day though. It's easy to go a few days without a shower. Plus, coming across a sweet swimming hole is just that much better.

Lightweight long underwear (long john style, synthetic or wool) make great sleepwear.

A pair of glove liners is a nice addition.

Sunblock is typically not needed on the AT. I'm about as white and irish as they come. Never use it on the AT.

I only bring a button compass on the AT for a quick north/south/east/west bearing when on a road or something and trying to get to a town. The trail is so well marked you don't need a compass to navigate.

Maps or Awol Guide. I would just bring AWOL. I would even split it up and only carry the section I need for that month.

I could go all day... pm me if you want to discuss your preparation further!

Backpack
Stove/1 liter pot/fuel/spoon
Sleeping Bag(25 degree Down)/Sleeping Pad/Pillow
Tent
Water Filter
3L Water Bladder
Trekking Poles
Headlamp
Pocket Knife
Small First Aid Kit
Bear Bag
Pocket Shower