PDA

View Full Version : Henry Shire's tarptent comments...

illusionistG
11-06-2005, 13:44
I'm leaning toward purchasing the Shire Cloudburst 2 model, but welcome all comments on all of Shire's models especially any experiences with rain/snow/inside condensation,setup etc.

Whistler
11-06-2005, 13:51
Complaints about Shires' Tarptents are few and far between. They're pretty much rock-solid high-quality shelters. You'll find a lot of comments here using the "Search" function above in the green menu bar--definitely dig up some of the old posts and reviews. Ignore the "Google" search button up there, I think it's pretty useless.

As for me, my Squall rocks. No snow experience, but rain isn't a problem as long as you don't set up in a trampled, sunken area. Condensation can be managed fairly easily with good placement, ventilation, and a small change in mindset.
-Mark

Footslogger
11-06-2005, 13:56
I'm with Whistler ...the Squall rocks !! Have had ours (first version) for over 2 years now. Sent it back for the extended (bathtub) floor upgrade about a year ago and couldn't be happier. Henry is among the best guys to deal with in terms of customer service.

'Slogger

justusryans
11-06-2005, 18:11
I'm leaning toward purchasing the Shire Cloudburst 2 model, but welcome all comments on all of Shire's models especially any experiences with rain/snow/inside condensation,setup etc.

We own the Cloudburst 2 model and love it. setup is quick and simple. Once you've done it once, you will not have any trouble. The ceiling is low for two people to sit up in at once, but not unusually so. no problems with condensation and we live in a VERY humid area!! an excellent investment. I recommend getting the bathtub floor.:jump

Marta
11-06-2005, 19:58
We have an older Cloudburst. It's excellent. Very spacious, especially in length. My husband and I are both 6' tall and can lay down full length and still have room for backpacks at our feet. I have a Virga for solo camping, but sometimes take the Cloudburst, which is a palace for one person. Very easy set-up.

Marta
11-06-2005, 20:05
Re: Condensation. The only time I've had a serious condensation problem with the Cloudburst was camping in the meadow on Springer last New Year. With any single-walled tent, you definitely want to be under the cover of trees or have a good airflow. Since last New Year I have avoided camping any place likely to have a heavy dew on the ground in the morning and have not had a condensation problem in the tarptent.

Coolabah
11-07-2005, 04:03
I have this tent and it is fantastic. Some rare issues with condensation but not often and it is no big deal . Very well designed, easy to set up and I like giving my business to such a great caring person as Henry !! I've been through monsoon type rain in this thing with zero problems. Snug & dry. Haven't been in snow yet only heavy frost. You'll love it.

dje97001
11-07-2005, 08:23
We own the older cloudburst ( The newer model looks awesome--but it isn't in the budget...:() and love it. I'm sending it back soon for the bathtub floor conversion. Without it, we tend to spread out and lay on the side netting (which is bad) so we need to be forced onto the floor. I have no complaints about it, or Henry's customer service. Very high quality.

There typically is enough room for the two of us and some loose gear. I don't think we could fit both of our packs in the tent (unless we placed them under our legs as insulation).

My only real concern at this point for next year is that we'll be warm enough in the beginning and end. It obviously doesn't retain a whole lot of heat or keep out a whole lot of cold air (having netting everywhere) so you'd have to really count on your sleeping system.

Great product. Would buy the cloudburst 2 if I could.

justusryans
11-07-2005, 08:32
yes, there not the cheapest thing in the world but money well spent. Not a lot of difference between the cloudburst 1 and the cloudburst 2. a little more height and the front guylines is all. The floor is great. Good luck!