PDA

View Full Version : Southern states vs northern.

tonyjackson
03-28-2015, 15:21
Hey all. I'm currently planning a thru hike for next year. I have hiked in Maine my entire life and I consider the rugged trails up here to be normal. I was wondering how different the hiking is in Georgia and NC/TN for someone who is used to the maine woods.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2015, 15:22
much easier in the south.lotsa switchbacks

earlyriser26
03-28-2015, 15:39
In the south they use bridges to cross streams. In Maine you ford.

Slo-go'en
03-28-2015, 15:39
When someone says "that was a HARD climb", you can laugh at them and say "You ain't seen nuth'en yet!"

My only complaint is that it seems your going up hill (or down hill) forever. It's not very steep, but it goes on and on and on. But if you leave in April, all the wild flowers makes it worth it.

tonyjackson
03-28-2015, 15:59
So, as someone who has done 15 MPD in the mahosucs it shouldn't be too daunting?

Slo-go'en
03-28-2015, 16:18
So, as someone who has done 15 MPD in the mahosucs it shouldn't be too daunting?

No, not very daunting but it isn't quite a cake walk either. They just have different ways of wearing you down.

bamboo bob
03-28-2015, 16:44
The North is harder than the south but if you start at Springer you're in great shape so the North s manageable but still not easy. SOBO the south is a cruise if you have started in Maine. The southern half of the AT stands alone as a nice graded trip like doing the PCT or other western trails.