PDA

View Full Version : My lightest tent but not sure about using it.

Husko
11-06-2005, 19:19
I have the following tents.

North Face Tadpole:
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=7977

Sierra Designs light year CD
http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45

North Face Pebble
(Can't find it on the official site anymore)

Ive used both the tadpole ( an wonderfull tent!) and the Pebble.
LOL I never had the guts to use the light year becuase it's so small and isn't free standing. When I've set it up at home, i've noticed the end of my sleeping bag touches the walls at the foot, at its a down bag. I think I'll have to take it with me on my 06' hike. I'm a bit concerned about this and was hoping if anyone could give me some of thier experiences with this tent as a thru-hikers tent, good and bad. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Nean
11-06-2005, 21:45
My first tent was a Tadpole aka UL casket. Got rid of that after my 1st hike and got a Moss Solet that I still use today. Space to sit up and spread out a bit is much more important than a few ounces, to me. Then again, I'm a HUGE MAN and could carry a 100lb pack... if I wanted to....maybe;)

weary
11-07-2005, 00:04
I have the following tents.
North Face Tadpole:
http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=7977
Sierra Designs light year CD
http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45
North Face Pebble
(Can't find it on the official site anymore)
.....Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
If you decide to get rid of the light year, let me know. I'd like to put a bid in. That's the tent I would take on my next long distance hike -- if the price is cheap enough.

Weary

Peaks
11-07-2005, 09:11
Like all gear, there is no one tent that works for all. Best advice is to try each of them out. If you already own the tents, then use them for a long weekend backpacking trip somewhere. If you don't own them, then go to an outfitter and set them up there. Then, put you sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and whatever else you want inside and climb in. See how it fits you. Can you sit up and change clothes? and do other things that you want to do inside?

Chantilly Lace
11-07-2005, 09:32
I have used the SD Light Year CD for about 5 years and it hasn't failed me yet. I am a section hiker, not a thru hiker so my experience is for shorter distances and duration. The big test was a week long hike in the rain with temps in the 30s and 40s. It stayed completely dry inside the entire week. No condensation at all, I think the ventilation is excellent. I did waterproof the seams, however, just for security's sake.

As for your sleeping bag touching the tent's end, maybe the tent is too short for you. I am a woman, 5'8" and it works well for me.

Pokemom

Pringles
11-08-2005, 18:55
I have an older Tadpole (c. 1990) and a Light Year. The Tadpole has some serious UV issues now, so I can't really use it, but I can't toss it either--it's weird, but it's my friend. It was a wonderful tent, with lots of room, but it's heavy at a little over 4 pounds.

I used my Light Year last weekend, and while I bumped into the sides a bit, I could sit up and change clothes. The vestibule had enough space to keep boots and water bottle and other odds and ends in out of the weather. And my down sleeping bag remained dry, even though it did touch a bit at the end (I'm 5' 4", the "perfect height," so your experiences may be different.). What I really like about the Light Year is that when I leave the vestibule open, I can see out when I wake in the night. I live near Lake Superior, so I love to set up my tent so I'll be able to look out over the lake at night. Now that I think about it, I've set that thing up in some seriously odd positions, so I can see out. I guess that's what I really like about that tent, is the "tv" screen. But, I wouldn't use it if it didn't keep me dry and handle the wind.

I'm a section hiker, and haven't used it on a long hike, though. I took it on a section hike a few years ago and used it a couple of nights. I appreciated the privacy it gave me at shelters--but then, you don't get much privacy if you leave the vestibule open. :-)

Nightwalker
11-08-2005, 22:58
I have used the SD Light Year CD for about 5 years and it hasn't failed me yet. I am a section hiker, not a thru hiker so my experience is for shorter distances and duration. The big test was a week long hike in the rain with temps in the 30s and 40s. It stayed completely dry inside the entire week. No condensation at all, I think the ventilation is excellent. I did waterproof the seams, however, just for security's sake.

As for your sleeping bag touching the tent's end, maybe the tent is too short for you. I am a woman, 5'8" and it works well for me.

Pokemom
I love my LightYear as well. Have lots of miles on it. I need something lighter though. Other than that, it's fantastic!

Bassline
11-09-2005, 00:52
I have heard better things about the lightyear than the tadpole, but that is the only thing I can say about them. Check out the MSR Hubba series. That is the tent I heard the least amount of complaints about. Sorry for throwing another name out there. Finding the right gear for you is hard enough as it is.

sparky2000
11-09-2005, 17:39
I agree first - if its not too heavy for you then it's ok. If your still trying to lighten your load then think about shelter only with light pauncho as emergency standby. sparky2000