bwb49
03-28-2015, 21:08
Where is the GAME hiker bubble the 3rd week of April

Lone Wolf
03-28-2015, 21:09
damascus.......

Hangfire
03-28-2015, 21:38
Probably somewhere between Franklin and Fontana Dam...

Malto
03-28-2015, 21:39
Not sure there is really a bubble, more like an elongated throng.

Uriah
03-28-2015, 21:51
Not sure there is really a bubble, more like an elongated throng.

Well said. Herd, bubble, crowd: everyone likes to use these terms as though they aren't a part of it, when in fact the trail plays host to an elongated throng. We're all part of it!

I do recall however, three days on my hike during which I saw approximately no other humans; one early on and two in Maine. The trick was (is) to learn to enjoy hiking during those frigid, wet, "miserable" days. Still, one might want to choose a different than the AT, if the aim is to abscond humanity. Thankfully, there are plenty that still proffer such an opportunity. At least for now.

Hangfire
03-28-2015, 23:07
Well said. Herd, bubble, crowd: everyone likes to use these terms as though they aren't a part of it, when in fact the trail plays host to an elongated throng. We're all part of it!

I do recall however, three days on my hike during which I saw approximately no other humans; one early on and two in Maine. The trick was (is) to learn to enjoy hiking during those frigid, wet, "miserable" days. Still, one might want to choose a different than the AT, if the aim is to abscond humanity. Thankfully, there are plenty that still proffer such an opportunity. At least for now.

You really want peace and quiet spend "trail days" on the trail, absolutely peace and all the loud trouble makers are removed from the scene. Probably the best 2 days of hiking I had the entire trail, only ran into a few dedicated hikers at the shelters at night.

Praha4
03-29-2015, 00:12
from today's Hiker Hostel FB page:

"Saturday at Springer parking lot. 44 cars and already 77 thru hikers at Springer today!
We have passed the tipping point. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy needs to have a real plan. "Educate and self regulate" is not a plan."

and this was posted in late afternoon.... assume 80+ left Springer today. Another 80 tomorrow. Next week at least 50 per day.

this "bubble" will likely be scattered from Hot Springs to Erwin by 3rd week of April.... the prime "noravirus" hotzone

campingfever
03-29-2015, 02:09
50-80 per day is many, but half of those will be gone within 100 miles.

map man
03-29-2015, 10:09
Table 3 in this article shows where the middle of the completing pack is on various dates:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/44

So the middle of the pack will be around Erwin TN the 3rd week of April, but the parts of the trail which will have a fairly high concentration of NOBOs extends at least as far as from Franklin NC to Bland VA (about three weeks of hiking to both north and south of Erwin).