PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Salt?

Carbo
03-28-2015, 22:26
Was wondering if eating all those prepackaged dehydrated foods would be a concern for overloading on the salt. I'm assuming on the trail you sweat enough to make the extra sodium ok, but when I see 700+ mg per serving it I have to wonder if it isn't too much, especially for folks with high blood pressure.

Sarcasm the elf
03-28-2015, 22:30
Was wondering if eating all those prepackaged dehydrated foods would be a concern for overloading on the salt. I'm assuming on the trail you sweat enough to make the extra sodium ok, but when I see 700+ mg per serving it I have to wonder if it isn't too much, especially for folks with high blood pressure.

I don't think it's enough salt to cause health problems, but I can tell you that there's enough so that if you eat them three meals a day, they will likely become very unpalatable after three lf four days. I usually only eat one of them every couple of days because the high salt content makes me get sick of them fast.

Carbo
03-28-2015, 22:40
Good info Sarcasm. I need to find more alternatives to that stuff and no way I would want to eat three meals a day of it anyway.

lush242000
03-28-2015, 22:42
Talk to your doctor if you have a concern. Don't solicit medical advice on a forum. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-28-2015, 22:53
I prefer just buying regular grocery store food over the "backpacking" meals. It's less expensive and can be a lot tastier and healthier. (Of course it can also be unhealthier depending on what you buy :) )

Yes, I have some concerns about salt content on some of those, but especially in warm weather I don't think it's a huge problem given that all my clothes and my pack are caked in salt residue from my sweat.

Miner
03-28-2015, 22:59
Most recommendations about salt levels don't assume activities where you sweat all day. If you talk to a doctor, make sure he knows something about sport medicine.

At one point on my PCT thruhike, I actually had a salt deficiency when I cut back on the electrolyte drink mixes after I was done with the desert.

Walkintom
03-28-2015, 23:01
I tend to find that I sweat enough on the trail to mitigate some of the added sodium from these type of meals. I also vary my diet into grocery store food a good bit. Nothing like a good old apple after a few days of dried rations.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2015, 08:35
Sodium doesnt cause high blood pressure. It is a non-factor for people with normal bp.

Because of its water retaining properties, it is a potential knob that people with high blood pressure can reduce to try to keep theirs lower and reduce damage . It does not get to the root of their problems however.

Of course, few ever do. They take the medicine instead. My brother is on bp medicine, and he runs ultramarathons.

Slosteppin
03-29-2015, 18:42
I dehydrate soups and cassarroles (sp) that I make at home so I know what I'm eating. I don't like a long list of chemicals, most of which I can't pronounce, in my food.
When I bought freeze dried meals from an outdoor store they were always high in sodium and expensive for longer trips. Grocery store prepared meals were less expensive but still high in sodium with a long list of chemicals.
I think I've saved the cost of the dehydrater a few times in the last six years.

tiptoe
03-30-2015, 09:39
I rarely salt my food at home (not high blood pressure, just habit), but while hiking, especially in hot weather, salt isn't a bad thing.

Cookerhiker
03-30-2015, 17:52
Most recommendations about salt levels don't assume activities where you sweat all day. If you talk to a doctor, make sure he knows something about sport medicine.

At one point on my PCT thruhike, I actually had a salt deficiency when I cut back on the electrolyte drink mixes after I was done with the desert.

Yes to this. On a section hike in '05 - mid-June in NY in hot, humid weather - I drank copious amounts of water, but no electrolytes or salty snacks and ended up with hyponatremia - much more serious than excessive salt or dehydration.

Info. here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/definition/con-20031445

High Side
04-01-2015, 23:19
Yes the mountain house type meals have tons of sodium.....I find my stomach getting upset if I eat an entire "meal" in one sitting.