PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Pinhoti info needed

seminoles
03-29-2015, 00:49
We only have 5 days and are looking for the best section or loop to do in the time allowed.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks

SouthMark
03-29-2015, 10:37
The most scenic section is the Adams Gap to Cheaha State Park but that is only 12 miles. There are not any long loops. You could do about a
40 mile loop by starting at Adams Gap and hike north to Little Caney Head (6 miles). Take the trail to the right, the Odom Scout Trail, 4 miles to High Falls and camp. Next day backtrack 2 miles to the intersection of the Nubbin Creek Trail and hike it to the Cave Creek Trail. Hike the cave Creek trail (6 miles) to the intersection with the Pinhoti at Cheaha State Park. Hike the Pinhoti south to Little Caney Head (6 miles). At Little candy Head take the Chinnabee Silent Trail (pretty hiker along Cheaha Creek) to the Skyway Trail (6 miles). Ford Cheaha Creek and hike the Skyway Trail (6 miles) back to Adams Gap.

jdgrubbs
03-29-2015, 11:22
431 (south 500 FS trailhead) To 278 (highpoint trailhead). might be my favorite if you plan to do 10 to 15 mile days 5 days is perfect.

seminoles
03-29-2015, 15:25
Thank you SouthMark and jdgrubbs I'll check that out.

Can you recommend parking and campsites not to be missed?

Seminoles

gubbool
03-29-2015, 21:26
An on-line map that shows only the core Pinhoti trail... lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti

dhagan
04-01-2015, 12:53
An on-line map that shows only the core Pinhoti trail... lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti
There is a gpx file there that you can download onto your gps. Solo used a wheel and walked the entire trail. Everything of interest is marked on the file. It overlayed onto my topo files. EXACTLY what I was looking for!

SouthMark
04-01-2015, 14:24
Here is the link to Solo's revised web site with trail guide.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/al-pocket-guides..html

gubbool
04-01-2015, 22:48
History records that Solo walked the Pinhoti with a measure wheel twice. Some people didn't believe the results of his first effort. As I recall, the difference was so small that it could have been attributed to the difference in the seasons.

dhagan
04-05-2015, 18:58
I just got back from doing a 3 day section 5 and 6. I used solos trailguide, shrank it down a little, and laminated it. It was invaluable to me. I knew exactly how far it was to water, so I knew how much to carry. I knew where the campsites were, road crossings, etc. It was my first solo, so it was also comforting to have that information.

Drybones
04-05-2015, 19:46
What dates do you plan to hike?