PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike pack recommendations - special requirements

Wyoming
03-29-2015, 13:09
Wyo here. Long time no see as it has been about 7 years since I posted.

I need a new pack and have special requirements now as opposed when I thru hiked the AT in 06.

A bit of background to help with ideas for me. I am now 61 and since the AT in 06 I was critically injured in a very bad accident. Four broken vertebrae in my back and lots of smashed disks. I am all rods, screws and bone grafts now. On the plus side I now have the perfect posture that my mother told me was important for success in life and on the negative side my remaining disks are not up to specs any longer. I now live in AZ and hike the desert mountains here and am planning to thru hike the Arizona Trial (another AT ha ha). If you are not familiar with AZ desert mountain hiking it is VERY rocky (as in the Penn rocks are like a very good day) and not having a real trail about 25% of your time (that is you bushwack thru the cactus and thorn bushes a lot.). Last, but perhaps the biggest issue, is water supplies. It is not uncommon to need to carry 6 liters leaving a water source as it is possible not to have resupply for up to 30 and sometimes 40 miles. I will not be hiking in the summer (that is just stupid out here) rather in the fall. The mountains get pretty high here and the nights can be quite chilly that time of year so one cannot go without a reasonable selection of a non-summer bag and a little layering in the high country - thus a very small bag is out.

So I no longer have current knowledge on what is available in high quality packs which might suit my needs and would appreciate some suggestions. The basic specs are below.

Cost: not an issue
Size: 60-65 liters
Suspension must be top notch and it must put at least 2/3 to 3/4 quarters of the weight on my hips. It's a pain thing.
Weight of loads will hit 40 lbs (maybe 45 for brief periods) 5 days food, 2 days water, + gear
Ultra light packs will not work. I still have my Granite Gear pack from 06 at about 3lbs and it is not sufficient for my current weight requirements nor my back.

I will accept a heavier pack to get what I must have and cut weight elsewhere like switching to a tarp tent and so on.

I guess that is enough info, but if anyone has questions about something I forgot to put above just ask.

Thanks in advance.

CalebJ
03-29-2015, 13:25
Mystery Ranch makes some excellent packs with beefy suspensions. They're designed by Dana Gleason who used to create fantastic packs for Dana Designs. Sounds like something in their catalog might be right up your alley.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/mountain-adventure/backpacking-packs

4eyedbuzzard
03-29-2015, 13:32
I had three disk injuries (HNP's to L3-L4, L4-L5) during the time period 2003 to 2008. I've used an Aarn Peak Aspiration 45L bodypack with very good results, as it has both an excellent suspension system that moves with you and also helps balance the weight by having front pockets (that also transfer the weight to the hipbelt). The suspension takes a bit of getting used to, but once properly adjusted and once you get used to taking it off and on (which you tend to do less because of more readily available stuff in the front pockets), it really does allow you to walk more upright with better posture - just as they advertise. They make many different sizes and models from day packs to expedition size. Construction/workmanship is very good. Their U.S. distributor/retailer's website is Aarnusa.com (http://www.aarnusa.com/) , the New Zealand website (headquarters) is http://www.aarnpacks.com (http://www.aarnpacks.com/)/. Customer satisfaction note: Prior to them having a US distributor/retailer, in 2003 I had a minor issue with stitching on the shoulder strap, and after contacting Devi Benson in NZ (she is a sweetheart), they sent me a new one that arrived in two days.

Franco is another WB member who uses an Aarn bodypack, and he will hopefully chime in as well.

Here's the basic idea/technology:

And a pic of me showing the front pockets

Walkintom
03-29-2015, 13:42
Take a look at the Klymit Motion 60. The air frame does a fantastic job of load transfer and you can easily adjust it. It's not a heavy pack, but it does do the job you describe that you want.

It's not even expensive and it really rides a lot better than I expected looking at the hip belt. I expected it to be flimsy feeling but it does very well.

If you want that rigidity of frame, then I'd check out the Osprey Aether. It's very well built and you can have the hipbelt custom molded.

Feral Bill
03-29-2015, 14:06
You might consider an old school external frame. They really shift that weight to the hips, and vent well on those hot days. Kelty and Jan Sport are the remaining big names.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2015, 15:18
You might consider an old school external frame. They really shift that weight to the hips, and vent well on those hot days. Kelty and Jan Sport are the remaining big names.

That was my thought too. Or a modified pack board. These things are designed to carry a lot of weight. If I had to carry a lot of water, I'd have a frame pack with a shelf on the bottom which could hold three, one gallon water jugs.

Wyoming
03-29-2015, 17:45
4eyed

That sounds interesting. I am curious about footing. Do the pockets/sm packs in front obscure ones vision? I am concerned about trip hazard. Arizona can be rocky worse than anyplace I have ever seen. Other than that the pack sounds very interesting and knowing that you also have had bad back injuries and it works for you is a good selling point. Agility and balance are a big issue as well as having to leverage ones body to move over stuff is not such a good thing.

Sirsnappy09
03-29-2015, 18:00
Vargo makes the ti-arc which is an external frame. It is pricey at 300$ but I have heard it is comfy for loads around 30 lbs. They have a cuben versison also bit that runs 400$. As mentioned above- the mystery ranch packs are awesome load haulers.

4eyedbuzzard
03-29-2015, 18:04
4eyed

That sounds interesting. I am curious about footing. Do the pockets/sm packs in front obscure ones vision? I am concerned about trip hazard. Arizona can be rocky worse than anyplace I have ever seen. Other than that the pack sounds very interesting and knowing that you also have had bad back injuries and it works for you is a good selling point. Agility and balance are a big issue as well as having to leverage ones body to move over stuff is not such a good thing.No problem with visibility. There is a fairly wide gap between the two front pockets and they don't really stick out quite that far enough to impede vision. You can see the ground and your feet just fine.

Franco
03-30-2015, 07:24
Indeed I do use Aarn packs, I have two.
Nothing to do with a bad back or any injuries I use them because they carry weights (for me) a lot better than other packs.
Not all that noticeable up to about 25lbs but from there up it does make a difference.
Basically when you have a reasonable amount of weight in the front pockets all the weight rests on the hips.
Easy to do if ,as you will, you need to carry water.
Typically apart from munches and drinks, I have at the front my fuel as well as stuff I like to get hold whilst walking such as camera, GPS, hat, gloves and often my rain jacket.
You could have your 6 L of water there and still room for the other stuff by getting the Expedition pockets.
Add them to either the Natural Balance or Featherlite Freedom.
BTW, yes you can see your feet (if you can without wearing a pack...) , the pockets don't wobble and if you take the waterproof liner out of the main pack you save 300g or so. ( I leave them there)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Me-and-Aarn-2.jpg

RedSoxFan
03-30-2015, 07:49
northface terra 65. great suspension. my current winter pack. terra 50 is my summer pack

mankind117
03-30-2015, 09:07
The paradox unaweep would suit your needs. It is a modern twist on the external frame. Extremely comfortable, not a problem getting all the weight on your hips. It can carry whatever you need to carry without issue but works well at low weights too all at a weight of just over 3 pounds or maybe less depending on what fabric you choose.

mankind117
03-30-2015, 09:07
forgot link in previous post
http://store.seekoutside.com/backpacks-lightweight/

Venchka
03-30-2015, 21:03
Mankind117 nailed it. The large Unaweep will handle the loads you need in the desert. Check reviews. Section Hiker has a very informative review of pluses and minuses.
I own an original Dana Design Terraplane built in Bozeman. If I replace it, I will buy the Unaweep.
Good luck. The desert rocks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Cadenza
04-03-2015, 19:52
Cost: not an issue
Size: 60-65 liters
Suspension must be top notch and it must put at least 2/3 to 3/4 quarters of the weight on my hips. It's a pain thing.
Weight of loads will hit 40 lbs (maybe 45 for brief periods) 5 days food, 2 days water, + gear

Arc'teryx Altra 65

It rides on the hips better than any pack I've ever had. And I have about 20 to compare it to.
Mystery Ranch as mentioned above is also good, but for what you want it may be overkill. The Altra fits exactly in the parameters you defined.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Packs&subcat=5_Plus_Day&model=Altra-65-Backpack

jimyjam
04-03-2015, 21:17
Osprey Exos 58 and Osprey Atmos 65 are both great bags with awesome, breathable suspension. I've had back surgery on my lowest disc and I use these bags without pain or discomfort...They are great!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

RangerZ
04-03-2015, 21:26
Osprey Exos 58 and Osprey Atmos 65 are both great bags with awesome, breathable suspension. I've had back surgery on my lowest disc and I use these bags without pain or discomfort...They are great!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

+1 on the Atos 65 but no back problems

Venchka
04-05-2015, 18:12
Dan McHale. Custom fitted and demo pack before final delivery. Pack bag size to suit you. Load limit? Not really.

Wayne

q-tip
04-06-2015, 11:58
The best and most sturdy pack I have is an Arc Teryx Bora 95. I don't think you can find a more solid pack, and as one might expect, there is the weight penalty, those 60-65 L packs are in the 5-6 lb range.

Jake2c
04-06-2015, 13:21
That was my thought too. Or a modified pack board. These things are designed to carry a lot of weight. If I had to carry a lot of water, I'd have a frame pack with a shelf on the bottom which could hold three, one gallon water jugs.

I will be doing an AT thru hike at 60 years of age. I have had a few packs but intend to at least start the winter/heavier portion of the trail using a Kelty Trekker 65. I may never shift to a lighter summer pack as I find it comfortable, I stand more upright with heavier loads, I get good air between the pack and me. On the down side it is a 1-2 pounds heavier than a number of internal frames on the market. In very heavy brush you may get more snags on those bars that are so very useful for hanging gear on. There are lots of good packs out there but you may want to try on an external if you can find one in a store somewhere. I guess cause they are not cool and have been around forever, it just isn't worth it for some stores to carry they type of pack. Personally, I just use what works for me, don't really care much about the fashion statement it makes.

Vthiker77
04-08-2015, 20:10
I'll third the unaweep. I've sold off all my other packs. I kept my 22L day pack but that's it. Hands down the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. The load transfer to your hips is second to none and will handle your 40-45lbs with absolute aplomb. You'll love it.

Wanderingventurer
04-14-2015, 21:25

Take a good look at the SeekOutside Unaweep pack. It is an external frame pack that definitely is NOT a traditional external frame pack, which at the same time has most of the characteristics of an internal frame pack. The good news is both that it weighs only 3 pounds and can easily carry over 100 pounds if you ever dream of a reason to do so. See: http://store.seekoutside.com/backpacks-lightweight/

Venchka
04-22-2015, 22:33
I got an email from Seek Outside today. They have a new Unaweep model. 4600 cu. in. / 70 liters. Sub 3 pounds. 100 pounds capacity. Waterproof X-Pack fabric. Worth a close look.

Wayne

Wyoming
04-23-2015, 19:14
Ok I decided to buy the Aarn Featherlight Freedom based upon the responses above and online research. I got the pack today and have loaded it up with about 30lbs and messed around adjusting it to fit me.

First impression is that this is the most comfortable pack setup I have ever felt. There is a very noticeable difference in how this pack sits on you and how it balances as compared to a traditional pack design. Having a big amount of the weight in the front pockets truly does change your entire posture. You actually do stand straight up and do not have to lean forward. It was quite easy for me to adjust the pack so that none of the weight was sitting on my shoulders - and I do mean zero. In the next few days when some of the other gear I ordered comes in I will be able to load the pack with my actual trail kit, a full food load and 8 liters of water to see what it is like maxed out for 5 days of food and 2 days of water. I will let you know what that is like later.

I am pretty excited about the fit as I already think from wearing it around the house for an hour it will result in a lot less pain in my bad disks.