PDA

View Full Version : Red River Gorge Long Weekend

evan_rolltide
03-29-2015, 13:54
Hey folks,

Looking to do a 3 day (Friday, Saturday , Sunday AM back to the car) trip in the Red River Gorge this coming weekend. Anyone have a loop they recommend? Will have a novice with me so 10 miles a day will probably be plenty unless the trails around there are pretty smooooooth.

I heard there are some trout streams so I might bring my fly rod.

Heard Miguel's is the post-hike place to scarf down some pizza.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sirsnappy09
03-29-2015, 14:22
I have a great loop that includes many of the off trail hidden gems of the gorge . I grew up camping and hiking there and have done all of the trails there . Now I do off trail exploring and hiking there. Pm me for details on the trails and fishing.

Bluegrass
03-29-2015, 14:42
It has been a long time since I hiked the Gorge. It is a fairly rugged terrain with lots of climbing. With a novice along, I would think 6-8 miles/day will be plenty.

My favorite loop started at the Koomer Ridge Campground. Take the Koomer Ridge Trail up to the Rough Trail. Left on Rough Trail, all the way past Gray's Arch. You can then take Pinch'em Tight and Buck Trail back to Koomer Ridge Campground. It is not a really long trip milage, but with the terrain it might be plenty for a novice.

My favorite campsite is on Rough Trail, just past the intersection with Rush Ridge Trail. The trail makes a left turn to head down off the ridge, but you can continue straight along the ridge for some really good camping, maybe a quarter of a mile past the turn. I do not think there is water up on the ridge, so you will have to carry some with you.

As I said, the terrain is a lot of up and down, with plenty of switchbacks. There is a lot of opportunity for site-seeing with the arches. There are plenty of rock shelters, but due to overuse camping underneath them is no longer permitted.

wornoutboots
03-29-2015, 23:04
You can park at the Sheltowee Parking lot & hike across the swinging bridge take the Sheltowee up Chimney Creek to the Koomer Ridge Trail to the Buck trail to Pinch-em-Tight to Gray Arch trail back the N on the Rough Trail/Sheltowee back to your car. The Gorge doesn't have long mileage trails but it's very rugged & isolated. I have been hiking since my EKU days in the 80's. Since there isn't long miles there, I now hike off trail exploring as well or I head to the Big South Fork where I can easily put together a 50-100 miles on & off trail loop in the same rugged conditions. (BTW-I've hiked the BSF since the 90's & have NEVER seen another backpacker on a trail)

wornoutboots
03-29-2015, 23:07
Also make sure to hang your food, bears are becoming more & more prevalent.