PDA

View Full Version : Down Bags vs. Wet Tent Walls

2009ThruHiker
11-06-2005, 19:52
What happens if, in a soaking rain, your tent walls get wet and then your down bag gets wet? I'd prefer a light as possible bag for my thru hike, but I'm not sure of the consequences???

PKH
11-06-2005, 20:20
Well, if your down bag gets really wet, then you're in trouble! However, I've never had it happen to me. Most decent down bags are quite water resistant, and will easily survive contact with a condensation soaked tent wall. Bedding down in a puddle is another matter entirely. Site selection is critical.
With proper care and attention, a down bag should not give you any problems.

Cheers,

PKH

jackiebolen
11-06-2005, 20:24
I used a down bag the whole way and never had a problem. I mostly slept in shelters or my hammock. If you want a tent with serious ventilation check out the tarptent, wet walls shouldn't really be a problem.

Footslogger
11-06-2005, 21:19
Some down bags have a dryloft covering which will repel the water. You can also buy a thin silnylon shell that will cover the bag. Last but not least, and this was what I did for my thru, is to spray your bag with a durable water repellant treatment.

'Slogger

orangebug
11-06-2005, 21:29
Another idea is to line your backpack with a trash compacter bag.

fiddlehead
11-06-2005, 22:47
If you are worried about touching the sides of the tarptent while you are sleeping, then you need to set it up tighter so that this won't happen or get a taller one. If you are still worried, you can get a dry-loft covering (outer shell) of your sleeping bag. The problems with dry-loft is that it is 1/ heavier, 2/ doesn't breathe as well and 3/ won't dry out as fast in the morning. Your best bet is to not touch the sides of the tent. I used down bags for all my thru -hiking miles and never had a problem with them.

Seeker
11-07-2005, 08:15
Hammock it. no problems with condensation/water/rain.

orangebug
11-07-2005, 08:22
I miss read the original note, thinking you were worried about a wet bag in your backpack.

When I used my Nomad in wet or cold weather, I learned to put my backpack between me and the solid wall. I also put a plastic grocery sack over the foot of the sleeping bag to avoid touching the end of the tent. However, I never found this caused much problem as body heat and low winter humidity let the water/condensation dry quickly.

stalo man
11-14-2005, 18:44
there is some down bags (yeti powerizer 750....) which have a water repellent outside. is use mine in lappland, where it´s very wet, and i´ve never had any probs

rickb
11-14-2005, 18:55
I also put a plastic grocery sack over the foot of the sleeping bag to avoid touching the end of the tent

I thought I was the only person to do this. :D

alanthealan
11-16-2005, 01:11
nikwax has a water repellent wash for down bags.

alalskaman
11-16-2005, 03:01
Another option, rather than getting a bag with dryloft, which is heavier, or carrying a sylnylon cover, also a bit more weight..is to size your tent or tarp a bit larger, to ensure you DONT contact the walls...I got a 2-man Shires tarptent for just me, for that specific reason...plus when I dress in the morning, that sort of thing, or sit up reading or writing in the journal, a lot more comfort...and I think the few extra ounces over the 1 man, works out about the same as if I were doing all those jackleg measures to keep the bag dry. Just my opinion.

RockyTrail
11-16-2005, 18:59
I also put a plastic grocery sack over the foot of the sleeping bag to avoid touching the end of the tent. However, I never found this caused much problem as body heat and low winter humidity let the water/condensation dry quickly.

I should have used a (small) grocery bag...once I slept under a too-small tarp and was getting a little misty rain on the foot of the bag. So Einstein here tries putting a kitchen-size trash bag over the lower 18 in of the bag. Woke up 4 hrs later with soaking wet feet and legs from trapped water vapor condensing inside UGH! :eek: ...don't try this at home, the bag needs to breathe! I think a small grocery bag might be OK as long as it covers a small area.

Sly
11-17-2005, 00:05
It's my experience, simple condensation from a single-walled tent or tarp will not wet the down inside. Mostly, the footbox will look damp.

It's a good habit to air/sun dry your down bag daily (weather permitting) anyway.