PDA

View Full Version : Hammock that converts to tarp???

William36
03-29-2015, 19:05
My thought is this.

I would like a to have a traditional "parachute hammock"(no bug net) to hang when weather is nice.

However, I would like it to be waterproof, and fitted appropriately with "tie outs" on the perimeter so when the weather turns to rain, the hammock itself could have the carabiners that hold the gathered ends removed, thus creating a waterproof, rectangular, flat tarp that could be hung, creating weather protection then sleep on the ground.

Seems most hammocks are about 9' x 5'.....so it would work, although about 10' x 6' would be ideal....

I figure I could carry CCF pad for insulation in the hammock, then the same CCF goes to ground when in "Tarp Mode"...

Really the best of all....hammock when warmer and dry, tarp with great coverage when wet or colder, and not having to meess with UQ, etc...

Anyone know if such item already exists????

And ideally within my ultralight credentials of no more than like 11-13 ounces....

kayak karl
03-29-2015, 19:14
i wish i could predict the weather that well. simple to make. make one and tell use how it works.

William36
03-29-2015, 19:35
My point kind of was exactly that you don't have to predict the weather....if in doubt, tarp mode....if nothing but clear skies, hammock mode......but only carrying one item. I dig the hammock, just not all the "stuff" that has to go with it if cold and/or inclement weather...