PDA

View Full Version : Cheese on the Trail, how?

garyp
03-29-2015, 19:07
How can you take Cheese on the Trail? I am getting ready to do a section hike on the JMT a 9 day stretch and I am wondering how to pack Cheese. Is it possible to pack Cheese and have it stay good in a Bear Canister? I was thinking String Cheese or even a hickory farms type of cheese block. Have you guys done it? And will it preserve?

swjohnsey
03-29-2015, 19:22
Hard cheese will last a long time without any special attention.

colorado_rob
03-29-2015, 19:23
We pack string cheese all the time, never any incidents (!) even on long trips, like specifically the JMT. I have even pack decent sized hunks of cheddar, no problems.

kayak karl
03-29-2015, 19:28
this comes up a lot http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=7413458

this one "cheese on trail" http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/27201-cheese-on-the-trail?highlight=cheese

imscotty
03-29-2015, 19:35
I carry mine in a ziplock so that any oil does not get all over the rest of my stuff. If you are worried about spoilage, then the harder and dryer the cheese the better.

But myself, I prefer to bring stinky blues. They are in a sense spoiled already, what could possibly wrong, they are not going to get any stinkier. You will be lucky to make a block of cheese last much more than a day anyway, mine never does.

Hikes in Rain
03-29-2015, 19:44
Recall that cheese was "invented" to preserve milk for long periods of time. This was way before the invention of refrigeration. Cheese will keep a long time at about any temperature.

Donde
03-29-2015, 20:02
Recall that cheese was "invented" to preserve milk for long periods of time. This was way before the invention of refrigeration. Cheese will keep a long time at about any temperature.

+1 For reals why does this confuse people? Next somebody is going to ask about ham.

To the OP little hint, the harder the cheese the longer it will last at higher temps. Typical refrigerator temps are actually bad for cheese and are well below the "ideal" storage temp for cheese which is about 50F. Of course I am talking about cheese not "cheese food" or "cheese product".

Sirsnappy09
03-29-2015, 20:59
We pack string cheese all the time, never any incidents (!) even on long trips, like specifically the JMT. I have even pack decent sized hunks of cheddar, no problems.

Nothing wrong with a little string cheese Incident every now and then.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2015, 21:40
The individual vacuum packed cheese sticks keep a long time.
I will carry them with me out of town. I wouldnt mail them weeks ahead of time.
After a few warm days some get oily.
See those Beef and cheese stick things in the convenience store? Not great cheese, but its cheese.

In days of yore, they carried cheese on sailing ships crossing the oceans that took months. You cut off the moldy part with worms, and eat the good part, in extreme situations. Its still edible.

imscotty
03-29-2015, 22:06

That one flew right by me, thanks for picking it up. Should have known with a name like Colorado Rob.

Walkintom
03-29-2015, 22:06
Refrigerators are great.

They've also really created a knowledge deficiency about what must and must not be refrigerated.

jeffmeh
03-30-2015, 00:01

This thread is about cheese, not about jam. :)

Trailweaver
03-30-2015, 01:55
And if you really want to get your cheese cool some of the time, you can double bag it and put it in the cold creeks for brief periods of "refrigeration." I've done that. . . just don't leave it unattended or overnight. But if I'm camping closeby, or setting up camp where I can watch it, I'll put it in the creek to chill. (weighted, of course, with a rock on top or something.)

4eyedbuzzard
03-30-2015, 05:06
The individual vacuum packed cheese sticks keep a long time.
I will carry them with me out of town. I wouldnt mail them weeks ahead of time.
After a few warm days some get oily.
See those Beef and cheese stick things in the convenience store? Not great cheese, but its cheese.

In days of yore, they carried cheese on sailing ships crossing the oceans that took months. You cut off the moldy part with worms, and eat the good part, in extreme situations. Its still edible.But . . .but . . . the mold and worms are the best part :eek: Protein and keeps those probiotics from getting too frisky.

At higher summer temps sometimes softer cheeses will separate a bit and leak out a little oil/fat, but they're still okay to eat.
Summer sausage, cheese, and crackers - what's not to like. :)

Hikes in Rain
03-30-2015, 06:23
But . . .but . . . the mold and worms are the best part :eek: Protein and keeps those probiotics from getting too frisky.

More accurate than you'd think! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu Ew!!

illabelle
03-30-2015, 08:36
More accurate than you'd think! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu Ew!!

:eek:
Makes me consider going fully vegan.

Pedaling Fool
03-30-2015, 09:29
Andrew Zimmern shows a lot of different cheeses from all over the world and they are nothing like what we eat here...more of the old school, original form of cheese. Here's just one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4RkIyApII

I don't know how long cheese will last on the AT, because I'm never able to keep it in my foodbag for more than a week. And that greasy stuff that comes off the cheese is good stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
03-30-2015, 17:51
More accurate than you'd think! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu Ew!!From the article
When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 cm (6 in). Okay, a few dead bug parts and rat feces within FDA guidelines are okay as long as I don't see 'em, but I prefer food that doesn't move, and definitely have a problem when it jumps. :eek:

chrisoc
04-27-2015, 13:44
http://www.packitgourmet.com/WisconsinCheddarCheese.html

(http://www.packitgourmet.com/WisconsinCheddarCheese.html)Packit Gourmet sells shelf stable cheese in several varieties. A little pricey though $1.99 for 2 oz.

shelb
04-30-2015, 23:59
Is there a point it does go bad?

Hikes in Rain
05-01-2015, 07:12
If you click on the link in my previous post, apparently not! But yes, sooner or later it'll start to rot. How long that is depends on a number of things, including the type of cheese. The good news is that it'll be eaten long before that happens. At most, you're only a week or so between resupplies, usually less. Any hard cheese will be fine for that amount of time.

Another Kevin
05-02-2015, 13:06
Cheese in a ziploc gets slimy faster than cheese in butcher paper. Apparently it helps to have air circulate. (I don't usually worry about this, cheese gets eaten before it spoils!)

elray
05-02-2015, 13:28
Cheese in a ziploc gets slimy faster than cheese in butcher paper. Apparently it helps to have air circulate. (I don't usually worry about this, cheese gets eaten before it spoils!)

My thoughts exactly, try as I might the cheese is the first thing to go, have fun!

DavidNH
05-02-2015, 13:33
bring some bars of cheddar cheese. Its only the softer cheese that doesn't last at all. It will last a week easy and any hiker can consume the cheese in a week. Pack well inside pack if possible close to water or something cool.

Tipi Walter
05-02-2015, 16:11
It amazes me that a cheese thread can have 24 posts. Find a cheese you like. Put it in your pack. Go hike.

Venchka
05-02-2015, 22:18
It amazes me that a cheese thread can have 24 posts. Find a cheese you like. Put it in your pack. Go hike.

There it is.

Is Stilton a hard cheese? Any examples of hard cheese? On the "already moldy" side, I'm partial to Gorgonzola, especially on a filet.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Hikes in Rain
05-03-2015, 08:28
Cheddars are hard enough to last. I also like Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano. Since they're "grating" cheeses, they're harder, and easier to shave into whatever's cooking.

daddytwosticks
05-03-2015, 09:34
Agree. Another thread covering the exact same topic will pop up again within a month. They should all be merged in one giant "How long will cheese last on the trail" thread! Bet there would be well over 100 posts. :)

Traffic Jam
05-03-2015, 10:42
Agree. Another thread covering the exact same topic will pop up again within a month. They should all be merged in one giant "How long will cheese last on the trail" thread! Bet there would be well over 100 posts. :)

I love cheese. I don't mind reading about it more than once. The same way I don't mind reading about what tent, bag, and shoes everyone prefers. :)

Here's a link to Packit Gourmet's blog about hiking with cheese. It pretty much sums up what everyone else has said. http://blog.packitgourmet.com/2008/12/how-to-hike-with-cheese.html

Sometimes I just wipe the mold off instead of cutting it out.

Traffic Jam
05-03-2015, 10:46
On my last hike I took this cheese (a copy cat from Kroger), along with a firm goat cheese. YUM!

http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-cheese/no-woman-cheese-102683.aspx

Venchka
05-03-2015, 15:46
Cheddars are hard enough to last. I also like Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano. Since they're "grating" cheeses, they're harder, and easier to shave into whatever's cooking.

Smacks his head hard! Of course. Thanks.
I just got a Babybel Mini Gouda. Perfect trail snack cheese.

Wayne

Venchka
05-03-2015, 15:54
PS: Stilton is not the firm, dark yellow strong cheese I was thinking of that I used to get on flights to/from Europe. This will drive me crazy. Think I'll have some Wensleydale.

Wayne

Hikes in Rain
05-03-2015, 16:43
I just got a Babybel Mini Gouda. Perfect trail snack cheese.

Wayne

Oh, those things are great; should have mentioned them, too. Individual servings, ready to eat, and come wrapped in a free wax fire starter. My non-hiking wife introduced them to me.

Another Kevin
05-04-2015, 13:54
PS: Stilton is not the firm, dark yellow strong cheese I was thinking of that I used to get on flights to/from Europe. This will drive me crazy. Think I'll have some Wensleydale..

"Ah, Gromit, I'm just crackers about cheese!"

nuknees
05-04-2015, 18:04
LMAO! You heard the man! Right on Tipi.

Fredt4
05-05-2015, 00:30
"Solutions are not always perfect. Panera is rejecting titanium dioxide, a whitener commonly used in products like ice cream and icings, from its mozzarella, yet cheese browns as it ages. “We don’t know how customers will react,” Ms. Burnett said."

Fredt4
05-05-2015, 00:31
"Solutions are not always perfect. Panera is rejecting titanium dioxide, a whitener commonly used in products like ice cream and icings, from its mozzarella, yet cheese browns as it ages. “We don’t know how customers will react,” Ms. Burnett said."

thecyclops
05-06-2015, 17:29
I learned in our serve safe class,that once a cheese (or anything for that matter) has gotten moldy,you can't just"cut the mold off" and it be OK.If you can see the mold anywhere,the rest of the product is not safe...At least according to the Health Dept in the state of NC.

Redrowen
05-06-2015, 17:53
I learned in our serve safe class,that once a cheese (or anything for that matter) has gotten moldy,you can't just"cut the mold off" and it be OK.If you can see the mold anywhere,the rest of the product is not safe...At least according to the Health Dept in the state of NC.

Those standards are geared for food servers, handlers and businesses serving food to the public. Public food service standards are higher than normal home food practices to protect the general public. In reality there is nothing wrong with bypassing a bit of mold on a block of cheese to eat the inner core.

4eyedbuzzard
05-06-2015, 18:34
What I've always been told is that for hard and soft cheeses: Usually the black/blue/green molds can be trimmed off (remove at least 1/4" under the visible mold) and the cheese is safe to eat. Red/pink/orange molds tend to be toxic - chuck the whole thing, because the toxins can be in the unseen mold veins that run throughout the cheese.

Really soft stuff with mold like cream cheese also need to get tossed.

Tuckahoe
05-06-2015, 18:45
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058492

Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and ricotta cheese, that have mold should be discarded. The same goes for any kind of cheese that's shredded, crumbled or sliced.

With these cheeses, the mold can send threads throughout the cheese. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mold.

Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Of course, not all molds pose a risk. In fact, some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe to eat.If you're not sure what type of cheese you have or what to do if it grows mold, the safe course is to discard it.

Another indepth article
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/10/moldy-bread-cheese.aspx

misprof
05-06-2015, 20:24
Shelb, Yes there is a point when cheese goes bad. The harder the cheese or the bigger the piece the longer it takes. Mozzarella and shredded go quickly (think days) while a block Parmesan can last a long time. If the cheese has a rind or wax covering it will also last longer. Months to years in cooler weather.

saltysack
05-06-2015, 21:07
Haaa...I started the same thread last year[emoji1]...my problem is now carrying enough....damn I love the seriously sharp Cabot cheddar...1 block is only 2 trail servings.....now carry a few for weekend hikes...lil heavy but don't need to carry as much tp.....[emoji100][emoji90][emoji372]...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelb
05-06-2015, 23:02
Shelb, Yes there is a point when cheese goes bad. The harder the cheese or the bigger the piece the longer it takes. Mozzarella and shredded go quickly (think days) while a block Parmesan can last a long time. If the cheese has a rind or wax covering it will also last longer. Months to years in cooler weather.

Interesting! Thus far, I have only brought the parmesan packets left over from pizza places - great for flavor additive, but not enough to be nutritious....

Venchka
05-29-2015, 08:54
In honor of this thread, I bought some Cabot cheese last weekend. In Texas even!
Alpine Cheddar and Extra Sharp Cheddar. I opened the Alpine Cheddar first. WOW! With an apple. WOW! WOW! Love it! Backpack worthy.
Adios string cheese. Hello Cabot!

Wayne

saltysack
05-29-2015, 09:28
In honor of this thread, I bought some Cabot cheese last weekend. In Texas even!
Alpine Cheddar and Extra Sharp Cheddar. I opened the Alpine Cheddar first. WOW! With an apple. WOW! WOW! Love it! Backpack worthy.
Adios string cheese. Hello Cabot!

Wayne

Try the Cabot seriously sharp cheeder...great w wheat thins.....my go to first day out lunch and dinner....

Venchka
05-29-2015, 22:21
Try the Cabot seriously sharp cheeder...great w wheat thins.....my go to first day out lunch and dinner....

Alas, my local store only had the two favors.
The next time we are in Boone, I'll look for the seriously sharp and anything else that tempts me.

Wayne

saltysack
05-29-2015, 22:34
Alas, my local store only had the two favors.
The next time we are in Boone, I'll look for the seriously sharp and anything else that tempts me.

Wayne

Even Wally World sells it here in n fl...

HDLV
05-29-2015, 23:00
I can never seem to make any kind of cheese last more than 2 or 3 days so I have never ran into a problome with it going bad.

saltysack
05-30-2015, 08:29
I can never seem to make any kind of cheese last more than 2 or 3 days so I have never ran into a problome with it going bad.

Me either...1 block of ss Cabot cheddar last 2 meals/snacks w wheat thins...damn dog comes alive when he smells the cheese. He could be sound asleep in his bag as soon as it's open he comes to life...I've always been hesitant to bring more than one block...I think I'll try a few for my next hike as I've heard people say it keeps several days unopened...

Pedaling Fool
08-11-2015, 17:42
Apparently, this issue of how long cheese will last is not just a debate in the hiking community. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/definitively-solved-debate-over-whether-171430567.html

They cover the various cheese categories

Excerpt:

"When is cheese expired?

This question is a controversial topic in the food world. Some people say they scrape the mold off cheese and eat it, while others won't touch it past the expiration date.

We consulted an expert to find out how long cheese is safe to eat.

Kantha Shelke, a food scientist for Corvus Blue LLC and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists, pointed out the specifics to Business Insider.
Given the apparent dangers of eating certain molds, it's important to know what to use, what to toss, and what to cut off and use."

BirdBrain
08-11-2015, 17:59
Apparently, this issue of how long cheese will last is not just a debate in the hiking community. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/definitively-solved-debate-over-whether-171430567.html

They cover the various cheese categories

Excerpt:

"When is cheese expired?

This question is a controversial topic in the food world. Some people say they scrape the mold off cheese and eat it, while others won't touch it past the expiration date.

We consulted an expert to find out how long cheese is safe to eat.

Kantha Shelke, a food scientist for Corvus Blue LLC and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists, pointed out the specifics to Business Insider.
Given the apparent dangers of eating certain molds, it's important to know what to use, what to toss, and what to cut off and use."

"Don't leave me in suspenders Doc."

She was right on the middle of a sentence that.....

Where is Paul Harvey?

JaketheFake
08-11-2015, 18:55

i am going to pack my String Cheese Incident into my iPod for my hike.

Five Tango
08-11-2015, 19:15
FWIW,I can't count the times I have scraped a little blue mold off my sharp cheddar cheese block at home.I do keep it refrigerated in a zip lock with as little air in the bag as possible.Never have packed any for outdoors but if I do I would wrap it in paper inside a ziplock.I wonder if the cheeses that come in wax coverings last longer?I would tend to think so....

2000miler
08-12-2015, 11:05
i am going to pack my String Cheese Incident into my iPod for my hike.

So many string cheese incident references. I knew I became a member of this community for a reason!

Singto
05-29-2016, 01:15
Refrigerators are great.

They've also really created a knowledge deficiency about what must and must not be refrigerated.

Bingo!
For example: People go crazy about warm Mayonnaise. Research will tell you that it isn't a problem because the acids in it retard bacteria growth so much it isn't a problem. Go ahead and get Mayonnaise on the Subway footlong that you pack out of town. In fact, placing the mayonnaise directly on the bread first seals the bread and stops it from getting soggy from the water contained in other condiments. Why do you think Wendys trains employees to place mayonnaise onto the bun first? WRGWRG, mustard on the meat. I'm also staying in a country at the moment that eggs are NEVER refrigerated.....no problems whatsoever.

Singto
05-29-2016, 01:18
FWIW,I can't count the times I have scraped a little blue mold off my sharp cheddar cheese block at home.I do keep it refrigerated in a zip lock with as little air in the bag as possible.Never have packed any for outdoors but if I do I would wrap it in paper inside a ziplock.I wonder if the cheeses that come in wax coverings last longer?I would tend to think so....

No, not really. I brought some wax sealed cheeses home from Europe last year and even in the refrigerator, they began molding in no time. I just cut the small molded parts away and ate it.

Turk6177
05-29-2016, 01:23
The couple I was hiking the JMT with had hard salami and hard cheddar cheese in the MTR resupply buckets. You know what that means, it was sent at least 3 weeks prior to them starting the trail, and add the 10 days to get there. It was fine. They ate it the rest of the way with no issues.

Del Q
05-29-2016, 14:45
I have been packing the small wrapped portions of Cracker Barrel.......have been out for 10+ days, 0 degrees to 96 degrees, never a problem. Packages are easy to open, like this product.

Tipi Walter
05-29-2016, 17:30
60 posts on cheese? Cyber potatoes must be deathly afraid of noseeums and any temps above 70F to stay indoors for 60 posts and talk about cheese.

capehiker
05-29-2016, 18:17
60 posts on cheese? Cyber potatoes must be deathly afraid of noseeums and any temps above 70F to stay indoors for 60 posts and talk about cheese.

Well, there you have it folks. King Tipi has spoken. Shut 'er down boys!

CJOttawa
05-29-2016, 18:26
If you aren't a cheese snob:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Cheese

Doesn't need refrigeration.

Connie
05-29-2016, 22:19
I actually had someone share that product on a hike: it was surprisingly good on Wheat Thins.

Of course, my appetite is enhanced hiking and strong flavors are welcome.

The rest of the time, I am a cheese snob.

What do hikers do about cheese that "sweats" the oil out?

I eat it, anyway. Is that a bad idea?

Leo L.
05-31-2016, 03:51
When heading for the desert, we buy huge chunks of local made Swiss cheese ("Emmentaler"), cut it into pieces designed for 2-3 days worth each, vacuum seal it and carry it. Takes some weeks from purchase to consume date.
Afetr having carried it through several hot desert days the cheese changes a bit into a hard-shrunk chunk swimming in oil. Have to carefully consider when opening a sealed package to not spoil all the oil. After weeks the lunchbox is an oily mess.
Taste is perfect though, never had a piece gone bad.
This cheese, and some hard sausages, usually are my main day-food for the whole hike. (dinner is a freeze-dried meal usually).

Maydog
05-31-2016, 04:08
To me, cheese tastes better when it's warm and oily; at least cheddar and colby do.