PDA

View Full Version : Hammock that converts to flat tarp????????

William36
03-29-2015, 19:07
My thought is this.

I would like a to have a traditional "parachute hammock"(no bug net) to hang when weather is nice.

However, I would like it to be waterproof, and fitted appropriately with "tie outs" on the perimeter so when the weather turns to rain, the hammock itself could have the carabiners that hold the gathered ends removed, thus creating a waterproof, rectangular, flat tarp that could be hung, creating weather protection then sleep on the ground.

Seems most hammocks are about 9' x 5'.....so it would work, although about 10' x 6' would be ideal....

I figure I could carry CCF pad for insulation in the hammock, then the same CCF goes to ground when in "Tarp Mode"...

Really the best of all....hammock when warmer and dry, tarp with great coverage when wet or colder, and not having to meess with UQ, etc...

Anyone know if such item already exists????

And ideally within my ultralight credentials of no more than like 11-13 ounces....

Franco
03-29-2015, 21:37
Grand Trunk has the type you are looking for :
https://grandtrunk.com/shop/all-terrain-hybrid-shelter/
except for the weight.
Many others are lighter but usually made of breathable/non waterproof material.

tammons
04-05-2015, 12:50
If its totally waterproof it will be clammy when used as a hammock.

If you are not too heavy you could build a double .67 oz Argon67 5x9 hammock to use with pads that would weigh about 7 oz. Add a cuben tarp and you would be at about 13oz without suspension or cordage.

I just built a double argon hammock of black 67 on the inside and camp 90 on the outside and its pretty darn nice.

Add a couple of oz and go to a 5x11 or 5x12 and much more comfortable.