PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on your back vs. your side???

2009ThruHiker
11-06-2005, 19:58
Here's another dilemma: both my wife and I cannot sleep on our backs which seems to be the most comfortable way to lay in a sleeping bag. I find that when i turn to my side, the bag twists, and the therma-rest mattresses are too narrow and I end up sliding off...any help on this matter would be appreciated.
We've done multi-day hikes, with mostly broken sleep, and this is a big concern before we attempt to thru hike the AT. Anyone out there found a very comfy sleeping system for us side sleeperz???

THANKS! to all the people who answer these questions! You are providing a wonderful help to all, and very promptly I might add!!!

Speer Carrier
11-06-2005, 20:11
I sleep in a hammock now, which makes sleeping on my back and side very comfortable.

When I used a tent, or shelter, I had the same problem, and only solved it by constantly shifting the thermarest under me, while on my side. I never really couild get comfortable on my back.

Speer Carrier

hammock engineer
11-06-2005, 20:12
You might want to look into a hammock. I have the same problems that you do when I sleep on the ground. I have back problems and it kills my back to sleep on the ground, even with a sleeping pad. After I switched to a hammock, I sleep all night and wake up with no back pain. I bought a nice Hennessy Hammock.

I think that Risk has directions on his site to make one for cheap. I saw his last week at a talk that he did. It looks good and seemed comfortable. There is a lot of good info on his site, whiteblaze, and Rock's site.

Just what works for me.

Marta
11-06-2005, 20:13
When I sleep on the ground I put a roll of something under my waist. It spreads the pressure out so my hips don't hurt. A fleece jacket is excellent for the purpose, but if it's cold enough that I'm wearing that to sleep in, then almost anything will do, such as my day socks inside a silnylon stuff sack.

PKH
11-06-2005, 20:15
As for getting all wrapped up in your bag, you might try unzipping and using the bag as a quilt. In all but the coldest weather this should work well.

PKH

jackiebolen
11-06-2005, 20:26
It's pretty easy to sleep on your side in your sleeping bag if you roll with it. Just put up the hood, zip it up and don't try to turn in your bag but turn the whole bag with you.

alalskaman
11-06-2005, 21:20
I sometimes think back sleepers have it easy...the bags seemed to be designed for them...but whether physiological or psychological, I CANNOT sleep on my back..even when I was in the hospital in traction, full of valium and seconal, I could no way drop off on my back. Sleeping on your side requires IMO a thicker pad, otherwise your hips get sore...stomach is ok with a typical pad. As to the bag, the main thing to do, is use it upside down...that opening facing the sky is of no value to a side sleeper...who wants your face in the bag and your ear outside? So turn it upside down..the hood opening faces your pillow or whatever you use for that purpose...the hood snuggles over your head, even without the drawstring being tightened. You can easily arrange it so youre all cozy, yet have a breathing hole. Wonderful... Bill

TDale
11-06-2005, 21:20
What jackiebolen said, turn your bag with you.

Since it's you and wife, swith to a couples system. Pads that hook together, bags that zip together.

SKCM
11-06-2005, 21:43
I agree, I unzip my bag and use it as a quilt. Only when it is very cold do I zip it all the way up. What I do for the hip problems because sleeping on my side really hurts my hips, is that I bring my backpack into the tent and I sleep on that. I know what you are thinking - "that cannot be comfortable" I was desperate one night, my hips were killing me and I was willing to try anything... It was the best night's sleep I had, and I didn't need a pillow. :clap

SKCM

2009ThruHiker
11-06-2005, 21:46
what kind of pack do you have and how is it loaded???

Whistler
11-06-2005, 23:25
I like using a sleeping-bag quilt style. A couple other ideas: maybe try adjusting the amount of air in the sleeping pad. A little more soft or firm may keep it some popping out from under you. Also, consider reshaping the ground that you sleep on--make a little indention for your hips to drop in to under your ground sheet. [Of course, re-naturalize it before you leave].
-Mark

pdhoffman
11-07-2005, 00:33
I have the same dilemma. Have to sleep on my side. Spend the night flipping from side to side.

My solution was to get the Big Agnes Horse Thief bag. This is a hoodless bag that has no down on the bottom. An inflatable air mattress slides into a sleeve on the bottom for insulation. Bag is rated for 35 degrees and that is what it will do just.

I wear a stocking cap and capilene top and bottoms for sleeping. The pad keeps the bag pinned to the ground so it doesn't turn. The capilene is slippery enough within the bag, that I can then do my imitation of a spinning top all night. The opening in a hood is irrelevant since there isn't one.

Pete Hoffman
Old Corpus

hammock engineer
11-07-2005, 00:40
I have the REI MARS pack. It is a little heavy at 4 lbs. It has a volume of around 4-5K ci. I am trying to get my dry pack weight (without food or water) to under 20lbs, but it gives me the ability to carry a lot more if needed. It loads from the top, and has a zipper across the back that opens like a U so I can load it like a suitcase.

If I was to buy a new pack I would look for something lighter. It does have a lot of nice pockets on it. Something I really like about the pack is the zippered pockets in the water bottle pockets on the sides of the pack. They are accessable while wearing the pack. Helps keep stuff at hand but out of the pockets on my shorts/pants.

You might want to go an outfitters and try on different packs. They can also help you find one that is the right size.

Alligator
11-07-2005, 10:34
Sleeping pad locks.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=22019765

max patch
11-07-2005, 12:49
and the therma-rest mattresses are too narrow and I end up sliding off...

therma-rest sells a spray that makes the mattress "tacky" -- use it and you won't slide off.

max patch
11-07-2005, 12:52
Since it's you and wife, swith to a couples system. Pads that hook together, bags that zip together.

I love my wife -- but remembering the (a) summer heat and (b) typical hiker stench -- I would not consider for a second a joint sleeping system on a thru.

QHShowoman
11-07-2005, 12:59
Has anyone tried any of the Sierra Designs "Flex" sleeping bags? (i.e. http://www.sierradesigns.com/bags.display.php?id=154) I am a big time stomach/side sleeper and am anxious to try out one of these flex systems bags. If anyone has, any info/reviews you could share would be helpful.

tlbj6142
11-07-2005, 13:35
Here's another dilemma: both my wife and I cannot sleep on our backs which seems to be the most comfortable way to lay in a sleeping bag. Unless you have some phyical condition that prevents it, you'll "learn" to sleep on your back after a couple of nights.

I, too, have a tough time sleeping on my back (on the ground), until about the third night on the trail. After that its not an issue. Put a roll/pillow under your neck (not your head) and a large roll (your pack?) under your knees and you'll be fine.

This is one of those issues that doesn't appear to have an answer after doing a bunch of weekend trips, but stay out a bit longer and you see it does work.

Scribe
11-07-2005, 14:47
I agree completely with those who state that a sleeping bag is more akin to a garment. You wear a sleeping bag and it turns with you - trying to turn INSIDE a sleeping bag will accomplish little more than frustration (and a twisted-up bag).

peter_pan
11-07-2005, 15:34
Unless you have some phyical condition that prevents it, you'll "learn" to sleep on your back after a couple of nights.

I, too, have a tough time sleeping on my back (on the ground), until about the third night on the trail. After that its not an issue. Put a roll/pillow under your neck (not your head) and a large roll (your pack?) under your knees and you'll be fine.

This is one of those issues that doesn't appear to have an answer after doing a bunch of weekend trips, but stay out a bit longer and you see it does work.

Or you could learn to sleep on your back in comfort in 10 minutes or less in a Hammock. Side sleeping works too, if you prefer.

Pan

tlbj6142
11-07-2005, 16:01
Or you could learn to sleep on your back in comfort in 10 minutes or less in a Hammock. Side sleeping works too, if you prefer.That's not quite true. While initially I find my hammock (HH) more comfortable, my knees suffer quite a bit as they are a bit hyperextended when lying on my back. I have yet to resolve this issue. Typically I lift my knees up and lean them on the side of the hammock. Which is fine in warm weather, but no so in cold weather. I guess I could bring a giant inflatable beach ball and palce it behind my knees, but I suspect I'd still have the same issue with temperature regulation.

Side sleeping in a hammock is an option, which is vastly more comfortable than side sleeping on the ground (no numb shoulder for one thing). But you still end up with large pockets of air under your quilt. Which ain't a good idea when its cold.

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2005, 16:48
Hammock sleeping is not an option for my wife and I but i find the info very intriguing ...it seems after reading the responses that if all possible we should try at to sleep on our backs...but it is hard to break 30+ years of sleeping on your side. I know the numb shoulder quite well, and a few other discomforts like waking up and being so fatigued from lack of sleep you only put in a 6-8 mile day.

Marta
11-07-2005, 16:56
Sleeping on the back promotes SNORING! Perservere with the various ways of side sleeping. (The Big Agnes inflatables make side sleeping comfortable.) You'll work it out...or else your wife will end up smothering you one dark night.

"I just woke up and found him that way, Officer..."

TDale
11-07-2005, 17:06
I love my wife -- but remembering the (a) summer heat and (b) typical hiker stench -- I would not consider for a second a joint sleeping system on a thru.

at least ten characters of :D

burger
11-07-2005, 17:11
To make side sleeping comfortable, here's a trick I learned from Edward Abbey: if you're sleeping on the ground, dig a shallow trench in the ground perpindicular to the length of your bag around where your shoulders will be and another around where your hips will be. Then place your pad on the ground, and align yourself so your hips and shoulders are in the right palce. I've found this to be extremely comfortable, even with a thin sleeping pad on hard ground. No back pain and no pain in the hips or shoulders.