PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag - Degree Rating

Cuffs
11-06-2005, 20:05
:confused:I am interested in knowing what sleeping bags are being carried on thru-hikes. I am looking for to carry only 1 bag for the entire trip, but want something that will keep me warm in GA in March, not be too hot in VA, MD in summer and again for warmth in ME in Sept/Oct.

What degree rating (+10, +15, +20, or higher in the 30's?) is recommended to make it the whole way? I am also contemplating a liner for added warmth...

Thanks bunches and happy hiking!

justusryans
11-06-2005, 20:50
:confused:I am interested in knowing what sleeping bags are being carried on thru-hikes. I am looking for to carry only 1 bag for the entire trip, but want something that will keep me warm in GA in March, not be too hot in VA, MD in summer and again for warmth in ME in Sept/Oct.

What degree rating (+10, +15, +20, or higher in the 30's?) is recommended to make it the whole way? I am also contemplating a liner for added warmth...

Thanks bunches and happy hiking!

Can't speak for antone else but weare carrying WM Aspen +25 bags with liners. We're starting in March too.

mnof1000v
11-06-2005, 21:23
Based on the reactions I got from my thread, I'm going with a bag and a liner. Bag is rated for 25 degrees and 45 degrees depending on which side you use. The liner adds about 15 degrees of added warmth. Overall, I think I'll have pretty good flexibility with temps.

Remember, you're going to have clothing you can put on as well. And if you're really worried about the cold, you can carry a mylar sleeping bag, which will add 4 ounces or so to your load, but will add some comfort in a pinch.

soulrebel
11-07-2005, 16:06
I've got a 30d bag and I've been in temperatures sub 30 with it and that, of course, required a layered system of clothing.

Namely, smartwool top (x2)/bottoms, windpant/shirt, micropuff vest, wool beanie and gloves. If it's going to be 20's I'll add a balaclava. GL