PDA

View Full Version : Couscous

Graywolf
03-30-2015, 14:45
We ahve been getting boxes fo Rice Bowl Couscous mix for a dollar a box at an Aldis near us. Today I decided to make some in my Jetboil to see how it would come out. It is so easy to do. Just add the spice pouch in the water, a touch of oil and bring it to a boil. (In a Jetboil that is just at 2 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in Couscous and wati a few minutes.

Today I added a can of sardines with mustard sauce to see how it taste. Ah, this would be wonderful on the trail. Dinner in less than 5 minutes.

If you add the water to cousouse in a freezer bag, then you can start up some water for tea as well. By time the couscous is done, so will your hot tea as well.

Life is good on the Trail.

Graywolf

coppertex
03-30-2015, 14:55
Thanks for the tips! I always thought of couscous as a great trail food since it cooks up so easy and is inexpensive.

swisscross
03-30-2015, 15:04
Love me some couscous.
I like to freezer bag mine with dehydrated fish (salmon, trout or such), sundried tomatoes, dehy. olives, feta (yes it can be dehydrated) and nuts.
Not really couscous but Ptitim is great also, known as Israeli couscous. Mix with a can of chicken and some tomato leather...yum.

Coffee
03-30-2015, 15:13
What I like the most about couscous is that it can be rehydrated without heating water if it comes to that. So when I'm on a longer section, or if I feel like my fuel supply is cutting it close, I save couscous for my last dinner on the trail.

couscous
03-30-2015, 16:04
All great posts! :)

Pastor Bryon
03-30-2015, 20:41
Our local Amish store sells couscous with sapphron and spices mixed in. Take a can/pouch of chicken...cook the couscous about half way, dump in the chicken, leave for a few more minutes, and a great/easy meal!

jupiterkn
03-31-2015, 07:08
Glad to hear. I am bringing several favors with me also. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
03-31-2015, 19:04
Doing a "field test" on some couscous right now! So easy...1 cup o' water, 1 cup o' couscous....let it sit for 5....throw in some olive oil, salt & salmon...voila! This is great! Dinner now planned for next trip. Done & done! Thx for the thread :)

perrymk
03-31-2015, 19:46
If you're cooking in a pot, throw in the olive oil first and the pot may be easier to clean. It helps keep food from sticking to the pot.