PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good filter?

robgeo
03-30-2015, 21:41
Bought this a few years back for a three week Everest trek and never used it.
Is it a good one? Would it be the right one for a long hike on the AT?

It is a Katadyn Hiker Microfiltration System from PUR. 30438

CalebJ
03-30-2015, 21:49
Sure, the PUR/Katadyn Hiker has been around since the mid 90's and works great. If you already have it, there's no reason to ditch it. I used one for several years and had no complaints.

All that said, if you're willing to spend a little money, newer systems are significantly lighter and simpler. The Sawyer Mini and Squeeze pack up very small, work well, and are inexpensive (you can find the Mini at most Wal Marts for about $20). It's really just up to you. You might ask around if anybody in your area has a Mini or Squeeze that you can look at to compare. Just know that the one you already have is a very adequate filter, so there's no need to change things up unless you're just looking for ways to cut your weight down a bit.

BirdBrain
03-30-2015, 21:50
I had the hiker pro version. Filters clogged too quick for my taste. Changed to Sawyer Squeeze. Lighter, longer lasting, easier to clean, and inexpensive to replace if needed.

2Ply
03-30-2015, 21:53
Most folks will tell you it's too heavy. I like mine for it's ease of use and fast pumping. Wrap a coffee filter around the prefilter to help keep the main filter from clogging.

robgeo
03-30-2015, 22:01
Thank you all for the help. I'm an AT rookie and I want to make sure I load out correctly from the start!

Traveler
03-31-2015, 06:57
Most folks will tell you it's too heavy. I like mine for it's ease of use and fast pumping. Wrap a coffee filter around the prefilter to help keep the main filter from clogging.

Ditto on my experience with this system. Its much faster than gravity filtration systems. The coffee filter is a great idea to wrap around the prefllter to keep the main filter clean. A little lubrication maintenance over a year or two period of time is all it needs to stay functional.

rocketsocks
03-31-2015, 07:27
One of the nice features of this type filter is if you'd have to dig a hole a foot deep in a dry creek bed under a rock...no worries. Now try to do that with the newer more popular sawyer squeeze (which I also have) forget it...dip cup time. It's a good filter and fast, the sawyer squeeze is a good filter too, just a different type.

Havana
03-31-2015, 09:36
I still use one. A bit heavy but it does the trick.

Ground Control
03-31-2015, 11:05
I've owned one since the late 90s.

Still works well, but as mentioned it is, by comparison, heavy. It also can require more time & energy than you might want to expend on something as common to each day as water.

I've replaced it with a Sawyer Mini, but will still keep it for camping.

Kc Fiedler
03-31-2015, 11:24
Bought this a few years back for a three week Everest trek and never used it.
Is it a good one? Would it be the right one for a long hike on the AT?

It is a Katadyn Hiker Microfiltration System from PUR. 30438

Mine worked fine for a couple low-use season and then the out flow nipple broke off under completely normal use conditions. I wouldn't recommend one for another hiker to purchase.

I haven't used a mechanical filter in years tho so I just wouldn't recommend filters in general.

Hangfire
03-31-2015, 19:30
The advantage to these pumps is when water is scarce and you have to pump from a mud puddle (and you will have to at some point) then these work great.
The drawback is that most of the spring sources are piped so instead of filling up a bladder (like for sawyers) you have to pump out of the collecting pool which is full of oatmeal, rice, and all sorts of noodle things. Absolutely blew my mind to see how stupid people could be when it came to washing their kits in the water source, not to mention washing their cloths...