PDA

View Full Version : exped downmat winterlite pump bag needed/usable?

TinCanFury
03-31-2015, 12:57
does anyone have the exped downmat winterlite pad? If so, being a down filled pad, is the pump bag required to prevent moisture damage to the down? if so, how usable is the pump bag? is it a pain to use, or relatively painless?

Thanks!

cycle003
04-02-2015, 12:22
It's a good idea to try to limit moisture from entering your pad, so Exped recommends NOT blowing up down mats by mouth. I've heard a few people saying that the air leaving their down pads stink, but I have no idea if that is from moisture-related mold. However, the pump bag is really slick and inflates a pad in just a few squeezes. I just got mine and have only used it at home a couple times, but it is WAY easier than the CPR-type of inflation pump on some of their other pads. The pump bag is nice, but it is really thin, so I'm not sure how waterproof or durable it is as a dry sack, but theoretically, it can perform double duty. AND since it allows you to push the air out, you can use it kinda like a compression sack without the inconvenient balled-up shape of a typical compression sack.

TinCanFury
04-02-2015, 13:01
It's a good idea to try to limit moisture from entering your pad, so Exped recommends NOT blowing up down mats by mouth. I've heard a few people saying that the air leaving their down pads stink, but I have no idea if that is from moisture-related mold. However, the pump bag is really slick and inflates a pad in just a few squeezes. I just got mine and have only used it at home a couple times, but it is WAY easier than the CPR-type of inflation pump on some of their other pads. The pump bag is nice, but it is really thin, so I'm not sure how waterproof or durable it is as a dry sack, but theoretically, it can perform double duty. AND since it allows you to push the air out, you can use it kinda like a compression sack without the inconvenient balled-up shape of a typical compression sack.

thanks for the detailed answer, it's exactly what I was looking for! I'll be looking for one of these for next winter, and probably for the girlfriend to use on our 3-season trips instead of her current BA AirCore.