PDA

View Full Version : How long will these used boots last on AT?

Husko
11-06-2005, 21:57
Hi. I have a pair of boots that are about 3 years old. Most of any type of model of the boot is worn off from use but the closest I can come to is TPS 520 GV ASOLO. There are a couple of versions of the same boot on thier website and mine are the gortex version.

Anyway. What I'm concerned about is the cushioned liner at the bottom of the boot that will need replacement for sure.

As far as the rest of the boot, most of the wear is on the right hand side of the back heal on both boots and also the right hand front side of the boot at the pinky toe. The major tread is still very reasonable but the fineer treading is worn down almost completely.

other than that, the over all construction is basicly in perfect shape, just weater worn.

How can I expect this type of boot to perform startign out in Maine? I'm hoping they can me at least half way.

Nean
11-06-2005, 22:05
Its possible. A kid came through here last fall with 1900m on his runners. I wouldn't want to wear them but I sure took a picture!

Nightwalker
11-06-2005, 22:36
Its possible. A kid came through here last fall with 1900m on his runners. I wouldn't want to wear them but I sure took a picture!
Reddish haired kid? Southbounder? Yeah, he finished with those uglied-out things, turned around, and headed back to Maine in 'em. They were NB 804s with no toes left.

He was a legitimate trail character. The kind that doesn't try to be one. He just is.

Shutterbug
11-08-2005, 14:06
Husko

The area to be concerned about is where the leather meets the sole, just below where your little toe sits. Each time you take a step, this area flexes. In my experience, it is the first place for a boot to fail (other than the laces).

Last year, I had a pair of boots fail while I was on the Wonderland Trail. I was 20 miles from the closest road where I could catch a ride to replace them. When they failed, a small hole opened by the pinky toe. Within a mile, the hole expanded enough that the sole separated from the leather along the entire side of the boot. I used my pocket knife to punch holes in both sides and laced it together with nylon line. It held the boot together enough that I could walk, but obviously it wasn't water proof. My foot got soaking wet. It was so wet that duck tape didn't help.

Three years isn't the issue with the boots. The questions are how many miles, what kind of trail and how much weight did you carry? Three years of occasional day hikes shouldn't be enough to wear out your boots, but if you have done several long distance hikes with a heavy pack during that time, you should probably spring for new boots before you start.

Also remember that by starting in Maine, you won't have the opportunity to buy new boots until you get out of the 100 Mile Wilderness. Why risk having to leave the trail? My advise would be to buy some new boots or trail shoes at least a month before you start. Break them in before you start to make sure they don't cause blisters.

In September, I did a section hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness with a man who had new boots. They were a little too loose in the heel. He got severe blisters. There isn't much that detracts from the joy of a hike more than blisters.