PDA

View Full Version : Former Thru Hikers with Hammocks: How Often Did You NEED A Pad ?

SteelCut
03-31-2015, 14:58
This is a question for former thru hikers that used a hammock on their entire thru hike. How often did you use or need a pad in situations where you had to go to the ground, stay in a shelter, or needed a pad in a hostel, work for stay in Whites, etc. ?? If you did need one, where there particular sections of the trail that you used it more than others ? (I do know that one will be needed for when I am required to stay in the shelters in the Smokies.)

I use an UQ for bottom insulation in my hammock and I am not planning on staying at shelters (if I can help it) and probably won't stay often at hostels (I've seen that some hostels don't provide mattresses and assume that you will use your pad).

I'd really like to not carry a separate pad unless it's absolutely needed. My current pad of choice is a NeoAir and although its only 12 oz. it's 12 oz. that I'd rather than not carry if it's something that I am unsure how much I would need it. I suppose that a pad would be a good backup if I were forced to ground ... especially since my hammock tarp is that enough that it can obviously be setup as a ground tarp as well.

Thoughts ??

4Days
04-02-2015, 13:00
Hi,

I am starting later this month in Kent,CT doing 4 days at a time in sections. I will also not be staying at many shelters but rather let my body and time of day dictate when I stop. I am planning on using a pad and not an under quilt. The pad serves many purposes. During the day when you want to take a break you can just take off your pack and use it. They also make for a great split for your first aid kit. I am planning on having the pad between my bag liner and the bag. This stops it from moving. I use the pad all the time and have Hennessy reflective under quilt thing but am not planning on using it. I am trying to go by the motto that everything, for the most part, has to be used every day. :-?

This is a question for former thru hikers that used a hammock on their entire thru hike. How often did you use or need a pad in situations where you had to go to the ground, stay in a shelter, or needed a pad in a hostel, work for stay in Whites, etc. ?? If you did need one, where there particular sections of the trail that you used it more than others ? (I do know that one will be needed for when I am required to stay in the shelters in the Smokies.)

I use an UQ for bottom insulation in my hammock and I am not planning on staying at shelters (if I can help it) and probably won't stay often at hostels (I've seen that some hostels don't provide mattresses and assume that you will use your pad).

I'd really like to not carry a separate pad unless it's absolutely needed. My current pad of choice is a NeoAir and although its only 12 oz. it's 12 oz. that I'd rather than not carry if it's something that I am unsure how much I would need it. I suppose that a pad would be a good backup if I were forced to ground ... especially since my hammock tarp is that enough that it can obviously be setup as a ground tarp as well.

Thoughts ??

grimtongue
04-02-2015, 13:16
I never used a pad. Not once. I carried one in the Smokies but I was still able to hang as the shelters were always full.

etboy
05-07-2015, 16:22
This is probably too late to help you. But if you are committed to your hammock, I wouldn't take the pad. I faced the same dilemma in '13, and took both. All the hostels have mattresses. The only time I needed a pad, and of course had bounced it ahead, was at the Water Gap at the Church of whatever it was we all stayed at.
Good luck.E.T