PDA

View Full Version : Dual SIM in phone for both Verizon and AT&T ?

Sodium
03-31-2015, 16:20
Has anyone tried a dual SIM device in their phone for an AT thruhike? Coming from the UK my current Three SIM lets me roam on the AT&T and T-mobile networks in the US, but their coverage isn't as good as Verizon on the southern half of the trail. I rarely had a signal when I did a section hike last year in TN.

I was thinking about getting a Verizon SIM ($45/month) and a little adaptor that lets me easily switch between SIMs without having to open up my phone. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks

Starchild
03-31-2015, 18:42
Never heard of such a thing, but the US cellular network is so tied up in corporate cutthroat moneylust that we have fallen quite a bit behind compared to first world nations. If I understand your post however along the AT if you can select providers along your route your journey will most likely look like 90+% on Verizon, 10% other also works.

CalebJ
03-31-2015, 19:12
Does AT&T even use the same frequencies? IIRC they don't so a Verizon phone wouldn't actually work on AT&T's network regardless of SIM (and vice versa).

Sodium
03-31-2015, 19:22
Does AT&T even use the same frequencies? IIRC they don't so a Verizon phone wouldn't actually work on AT&T's network regardless of SIM (and vice versa).

I think I'm right in saying that historically Verizon had a CDMA network, which required special phones that weren't compatible with international GSM networks, no matter what frequencies were used. But now Verizon has built out a modern 4G LTE network, it should be compatible with all recent phones?

CalebJ
03-31-2015, 19:24
I think I'm right in saying that historically Verizon had a CDMA network, which required special phones that weren't compatible with international GSM networks, no matter what frequencies were used. But now Verizon has built out a modern 4G LTE network, it should be compatible with all recent phones?
Not if thisis accurate:
United States Carrier Frequency Use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#United_States_Carrier_Frequen cy_Use)

Sodium
03-31-2015, 19:31
This is the gadget I'm hoping to use. A very few phone models already come with 2 SIM slots built-in, so you wouldn't need one of these. And of course you could always just carry 2 SIM cards and swap them over by hand if needed.

http://www.magic-sim.com/product/id/9/MAGICSIM_ELITE_-_MICRO_SIM_DUAL_SIM_ADAPTER.html

iAmKrzys
03-31-2015, 19:35
I think Verizon has some models aimed at people who travel outside U.S. that will accept GSM sim cards. Note, however, that GMS frequencies in Europe are slightly off from GSM frequencies in the States, so you would want to get a phone that is "quad-band" and won't be locked out from supporting AT&T sim cards.

Sodium
03-31-2015, 20:02
Not if thisis accurate:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#United_States_Carrier_Frequen cy_Use)United States Carrier Frequency Use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies#United_States_Carrier_Frequen cy_Use)

Thanks, so it is even more complicated than I thought :(

Phones don't support all the different frequencies, and an international model of phone (like mine) will support some but not all of the frequencies used in the US. So I might get *some* coverage with Verizon, but it won't be as good as a US-specific model of phone. Very frustrating!

CalebJ
03-31-2015, 20:08
Yep. Our cellular network is a complete mess, unfortunately.

Sodium
03-31-2015, 20:23
I think I'm going to end up buying a cheap pre-owned Verizon smartphone, which will support their old CDMA network as well as 4G LTE, but with a SIM slot so I can put in an AT&T SIM if I want to. Then sell it at the end of my hike, as I won't need it back in the UK.

Thanks everyone

CalebJ
03-31-2015, 20:25
How would the SIM slot help for using AT&T? I'm not following your plan.

Sodium
03-31-2015, 20:45
How would the SIM slot help for using AT&T? I'm not following your plan.

I've read that Verizon 4G LTE phones come with an unlocked SIM slot, so you can just put a SIM card from another carrier like AT&T and use it? Although with potential frequency issues limiting the connectivity, depending on the model of phone and the carrier you want to use... it would still work a lot better than my international model phone.

The Verizon Galaxy S5 SM-G900V for example says it supports LTE: Bands 4/13; CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev.A: 800/1900MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz; HSPA+/UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100MHz. Which I think should do voice+data on pretty much any carrier in the States?

CalebJ
03-31-2015, 20:49
Some do have unlocked SIM capability, but definitely not all. My Luge doesn't (although it can be done fairly easily). The frequency issue is what I was referring to. I think with an S5 or similarly capable Verizon phone, you won't have any coverage issues wherever you travel here (or at least, if you don't have coverage, you probably wouldn't with another phone from a different carrier either).

hikeandbike5
03-31-2015, 23:42
just buy a cheap used verizon phone. $40ish on ebay gets you a perfectly capable verizon smartphone.

there are prepaid MVNO networks that use the verizon network that are very cheap. pageplus is the one that I use.

r0wdy
04-03-2015, 07:21
Hi,

First you need to find out what frequencies Verizon and AT&T use. I think one uses GSM and the other uses WCDMA? Regardless, look up what frequencies each one supports. For example, Virgin Mobile in Canada uses WWCDMA 850mhz and 1900mhz. When you found those out, go on gsmarena.com and check out their phone finder. You can select which frequencies you want supported, and it will list you the phones that work.

I would do this for you but I'm just heading out now, hopefully you can work through it and the information you want.

Sodium
04-03-2015, 08:11
First you need to find out what frequencies Verizon and AT&T use. I think one uses GSM and the other uses WCDMA? Regardless, look up what frequencies each one supports. For example, Virgin Mobile in Canada uses WWCDMA 850mhz and 1900mhz. When you found those out, go on gsmarena.com and check out their phone finder. You can select which frequencies you want supported, and it will list you the phones that work.

Thanks, that phone finder is really useful:
http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

and I found detailed lists of Verizon, AT&T frequencies here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Wireless#Radio_frequency_summary
3G: 850, 1900
4G: band 13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility#Radio_frequency_summary
3.5G: 850, 1900
4: bands 17, 5

I can't find any phone that manages fast 4G data speeds on *both* Verizon and AT&T, but that doesn't bother me so long as there is basic voice, text message and some sort of data connectivity (3G/3.5G).

The Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V (Verizon model) looks good, and is dust/water resistant,
also the Sony Xperia Z3v D6708 (Verizon model) very similar specs, and is dust/water resistant.

CalebJ
04-03-2015, 10:49
Honestly, the dust/water resistant features are nice but you'll end up needing to keep your phone in a zip-lock bag or other waterproofing method anyway. IMO it's not worth paying extra for you since it's really just a temporary trail phone. You can pick up a pre-paid phone for a lot less money that will do everything you need. The Luge I've got was only $50 (at the time, it's since gone back up a bit). For an S5 or other premium phone, you're going to spend several times that.

Sailing_Faith
04-03-2015, 12:19
just buy a cheap used verizon phone. $40ish on ebay gets you a perfectly capable verizon smartphone.

there are prepaid MVNO networks that use the verizon network that are very cheap. pageplus is the one that I use.

I have bought cheap "Trac Phone" phones for the rare areas that don't work for ATT. For instance, the area near Damascus only Verizon works,.. The $10 trac phone with $20 of minutes worked just fine.... You ar not going to write a novel on the thing, or play your games... But they work just fine and are available in most stores.

r0wdy
04-03-2015, 12:54
I can't find any phone that manages fast 4G data speeds on *both* Verizon and AT&T, but that doesn't bother me so long as there is basic voice, text message and some sort of data connectivity (3G/3.5G).

The Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V (Verizon model) looks good, and is dust/water resistant,
also the Sony Xperia Z3v D6708 (Verizon model) very similar specs, and is dust/water resistant.

I'm glad you found the info.

I believe everyone else is having issues finding phones that support two carriers like that and supports 4G, if you're really struggling you can check out 'china phones', which are phones manufactured by companies in China. You can phones with the same performance for half the price, but you're also dealing with companies outside of north america. They can be great phones, sites like GearBest have a ton of those phones. Spending a little extra getting a samsung in North America will mean you'll have less hassles if something goes wrong with the phone.