PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Mid-April

MichaelRedBeard
03-31-2015, 19:24
What are the lows weather wise that I am most likely to experience on my through hike beginning on April 15th heading Northbound (leaving from Georgia).

I have a 25 degree bag and only planed on bringing a pair of conversion pants, rain pants, and thin pajama pants as my bottom layers. In terms on my top layers, I only planned on bringing a tshirt, a long sleeve shirt, a fleece, a rain jacket and a beanie. I'd like to think that will be enough, but I listen to the experts on here before I base things off of my own intuition.

The Cleaner
03-31-2015, 21:26
Just wait till you get on the trail and ask any of the 20 to 30 hikers at each shelter. Surely some will know...

MichaelRedBeard
03-31-2015, 22:50
Hoping to pack as needed before leaving rather than finding out upon arrival (20 to 30 hikers at each shelter...that sounds so saddening...so much for seclusion).

The Cleaner
03-31-2015, 23:34
Seriously, I have seen 36* on 5-10-10 past Roan Mtn at the shelter just past Yellow Mtn Gap.The next morning the wind was blowing at 30-40mph and made some wicked wind chill factor. Smart hikers do not send cold weather stuff home till Damascus or past there if you are there earlier. Once I've seen snow flurries on 5-14 a few miles north of Hot Springs. I'd chunk the PJs and pack a lightweight merino wool top and bottoms the whole way. I even wear a merino tee shirt in warm weather as it wicks well and is still warm when wet with sweat. I've almost been hypothermic in July when a cold front dropped temps into the upper 50s and with clouds and wind I had to get moving to warm up after a quick lunch break.Anything cotton will never dry due to humidity or just the fact that daytime temps rarely go past the mid 70s till mid summer way up on the northern part. Lots of hikers mention "Temps in the 80s" in the south in the spring but before the leaves come out it is very sunny and you will heat up easily on long climbs only to cool off at the summit in 60* temps which are more common. I'm a shelter care-taker and I find many cheap cotton clothes left behind all the time because they got wet and the lazy a$$ hiker could no longer carry them. Leave me a note at mile mark 300 if you make it...

hikeandbike5
03-31-2015, 23:39
you should be fine.
a light set of top + bottom long underwear "thermals" will serve you very well. something you'll probably carry the whole way, too, they're that versatile.

i

saltysack
03-31-2015, 23:58
Hoping to pack as needed before leaving rather than finding out upon arrival (20 to 30 hikers at each shelter...that sounds so saddening...so much for seclusion).

R u kidding....no such thing as seclusion on a nobo starting in March /April....u should go sobo later in year if u want more solitude...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelRedBeard
04-01-2015, 03:44
Thanks Robert (The Cleaner) for all the valuable information. You should expect a note from me in the first week of May if all goes well.

Saltysack, or for that matter anyone who would like to comment, when do people start dwindling. Obviously there will be a lot of fat, untrained, and ill prepared people that attempt thru hiking the trail...at what point is it like all of the people that sign up for a gym membership for the New Year and are no where to be found come February?

4eyedbuzzard
04-01-2015, 06:26
Thanks Robert (The Cleaner) for all the valuable information. You should expect a note from me in the first week of May if all goes well.

Saltysack, or for that matter anyone who would like to comment, when do people start dwindling. Obviously there will be a lot of fat, untrained, and ill prepared people that attempt thru hiking the trail...at what point is it like all of the people that sign up for a gym membership for the New Year and are no where to be found come February?Figure over half will be gone by Harpers, Ferry, WV, But it will be crowded through GSMNP and well into southern, VA. Some will have had there fill by Damascus, and then the bubble will disperse a bit - but that's relative. Several thousand attempt to thru-hike every year, and almost all head north within a six week window from Mar 1 to April 15. Then as summer progresses, section hikers will add to the numbers and be out all through the mid-Atlantic and New England well into early autumn. Do the math - you will never be alone on the AT during hiking season.

jupiterkn
04-01-2015, 08:33
Thanks for the info--

Leaving 4/16 from Springer and have no expectations about crowds, it will be what it is. Hiking for the experience of what the trail brings me.

Happy Hiking all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mississippi_dan
04-01-2015, 10:14
Below are the low temperatures recorded for the National Weather Service for Murphy, NC. You should be good to go with the 25 degree bag.
Dan

geneseejake
04-01-2015, 10:18
I'm on trail dude. Just did 270mi so far. I've had three bad days of snow in the smokies. Other than that its been sunshine. It should just keep warming up. Fingers crossed, we won't get another cold spell, but if we do word travels on trail. If it gets bad, you should know in advance and just spend the night in a hostel. I'd recommend keeping your gear light. You'll be fine.

Walkintom
04-01-2015, 10:32
Are you carrying gloves? A pair of gloves is awesome to have...

Tipi Walter
04-01-2015, 10:40
My April trips always include gloves as Walkintom says---two pair in case one gets wet. Rain gear is mandatory---pants and jacket as April has cold 35F rains. I'm taking a light balaclava and a turtle fur fleece hat for sleeping and hiking warmth. My bag is an old Marmot 0F down bag which works well to about 15F. And a decent 4R Thermarest with a Ridgerest Solar backup---sit-pad.

My pillow is a Western Mountaineering Meltdown goose down jacket which is my last line of defense in camp if it snows or the temps dip to 20F. I was out on a trip on 2009 by the AT and got snow on April 30.

OH ALMOST FORGOT---Bring a bug headnet!! Sea to Summit makes a good one. You will need it.