PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail Video

AO2134
03-31-2015, 23:44
Hey guys. I am section hiking the BMT. I just came back from doing my first section, Springer to Wilscot Gap.

If you are interested, here is the video from day 1: Springer to Toccoa River Campsite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jITVbgPuCM

I have zero creativity so a simple video is all I could muster. Also, it is very different from many thru hiker videos. My focus of the video was the trail. What you will see and where. I virtually never appear in the video; however, you will hear my voice more than you care to like I am sure.

No, I don't know what a campsot is. . . lol. I have absolutely no clue.

TNhiker
03-31-2015, 23:55
depending upon my schedule, i may be able to help you out on shuttles when you get into the TN area.........

and if i can get a night out on the trail, the stakes (and steaks) go up...........

AO2134
04-01-2015, 10:50
depending upon my schedule, i may be able to help you out on shuttles when you get into the TN area.........

and if i can get a night out on the trail, the stakes (and steaks) go up...........

Thank you sir. I anticipate getting to the Ga-TN border this month if all goes well. I'd love to finish hiking the BMT this year.

Also if anyone has any comments about the video, please let me know. It was my first experience putting a video together. I don't have much of a clue as to what I am doing. Any comments would be appreciated.

Tipi Walter
04-01-2015, 13:49
Thanks for taking the time to make and share this vid. BTW and not to be boorish but the pronunciation of MacKaye is Ma-K-eye, not Ma-Kay. Trivial point.

And I like seeing the beautiful large campsite at Chester Creek until I see a blasted parking lot and cars right next to it. And then you point out a little campsite for one or two tents and it's right next to an Army helicopter landing zone. These are the kind of outdoor "bummers" which are always a negatory surprise for me so thanks for pointing them out beforehand.

And another BTW---My backpacking friend Willow is starting her thruhike of the BMT on April 1---TODAY---and I hope to join her for part of the middle section to Fontana. See---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18084

AO2134
04-01-2015, 16:48
Thanks for taking the time to make and share this vid. BTW and not to be boorish but the pronunciation of MacKaye is Ma-K-eye, not Ma-Kay. Trivial point.

And I like seeing the beautiful large campsite at Chester Creek until I see a blasted parking lot and cars right next to it. And then you point out a little campsite for one or two tents and it's right next to an Army helicopter landing zone. These are the kind of outdoor "bummers" which are always a negatory surprise for me so thanks for pointing them out beforehand.

And another BTW---My backpacking friend Willow is starting her thruhike of the BMT on April 1---TODAY---and I hope to join her for part of the middle section to Fontana. See---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18084

I have heard so many different pronunciations. I've always known my way of saying it was wrong, but I didn't know the right way. I will use BMT in the future.

Chester Creek during a week day may be nice, but during a nice weekend? I agree. No chance. Better to keep moving. You'd likely also dislike Toccoa River Campsite. Too many car hikers. I generally dislike car campers as they generally have no respect for anything. The Toccoa campsite had it fair share of trash left about. However, unless you can do a 20 mile day and get to Wallalah Mt., that may be your best bet.

The "Bald" wasn't bad. I have no clue when the military does it's thing. For a shorter day, Bryson Gap may be ideal campsite. Possibly unnamed Gap.

Thanks for the Willow's thru journal. I will be reading intently.

SGT Rock
04-01-2015, 19:11
Bryson Gap is a nice campsite. I've also camped at the No-Name gap (I think there is a move to call it Owens Gap) but never at The Bald. I've never been in the area when helicopters land, so I think getting the Army to groom that bald to keep it open is a small price to pay when they do occasionally use it. FWIW I've encountered Army training or signs of it from the Bald all the way to Brawley Mountain. It is just something that is.

AO2134
04-02-2015, 08:26
Bryson Gap is a nice campsite. I've also camped at the No-Name gap (I think there is a move to call it Owens Gap) but never at The Bald. I've never been in the area when helicopters land, so I think getting the Army to groom that bald to keep it open is a small price to pay when they do occasionally use it. FWIW I've encountered Army training or signs of it from the Bald all the way to Brawley Mountain. It is just something that is.

SGT Rock. We found numerous signs of the military/military training (bullets, blanks, training instructions).

Also someone must have ran out of food and eaten solely gum. For a 1 mile stretch I picked up at least 30 gum wrappers and gum packages. We found no one in sight who did it.

Video 2 has been uploaded. I am sorry for this quality. It flickers quite a bit. I tried to minimize it as much as I could. Lesson learned. Don't record video from phone. Use camera instead.

Video # 2: BMT Section 1 - Part 2. Toccoa River to Wilscot Gap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJWeI6j38aU

SGT Rock
04-06-2015, 11:32
Finally got a chance to look at the videos. A nice virtual hike showing some of the landmarks on the BMT.

gubbool
04-06-2015, 21:43
NO SNIVELING

I'n not sniveling, Sgt Rock.

Video-wise, the best videos that I have seen do a fast-forward on the walking parts of the trail and slow to normal or slo-mo when crossing a road, or panning or showing a marker. I don't know how it is done, maybe I will look it up one day.

Second, I wish there was a clearing house for trail names l similar to entertainers. Is your Willow the same as the one I know? Yeah, I know, I will look at the link shortly.

Thirdly, I have traveled a bit in recent years. If you want a view of or from mountains, head for the 200 miles between Campo (Mexico border) and Ziggy & the Bear (Palm Springs) on the PCT. Mile high, clear blue sky, and you can see forever and more. If you want a sunset/rise, kayak to the Keys.

Warren
lifeat2mph.com

edit: One photo of Willow from the '09 tj maybe... ask her is she knows Dah Way He aka Dave Foley

No Directions
04-07-2015, 17:54
That's a good video. Thanks for posting. Don't tell anyone but the grassy area at Owens Overlook is a good place to take a nap on a cold winter afternoon when the sun is shining. I never knew the name of it though.

SGT Rock
04-08-2015, 11:23
I'm interested in seeing the next sections on video. I'm thinking of re-hiking GA this summer.

AO2134
04-08-2015, 12:01
Happy you guys enjoy the video.

SGT Rock, I am simultaneously hiking the AT/BMT/BT. So I jump around a lot. I also have a partner for the BMT who doesn't have as much flexibility as I do; however, I am pretty sure we will do Wilscot to Hwy 76 this month.

When I do the hike again, I will post the video here.

I am hopeful to get to the GA-TN boarder by the end of May. At least that is the goal.

AO2134
05-10-2015, 01:18
Just did a nearly 20 mile day hike on the BMT from Wilscot Gap to Hwy 76 Appalachian Hwy.

Here is Section 2 - Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEEHZAxlJN4

AO2134
05-10-2015, 10:55
Wilscot Gap to Hwy 76 Appalachian Hwy Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5M1lvC4rds

SGT Rock
05-23-2015, 22:17
Keep them coming.

AO2134
05-28-2015, 14:48
Keep them coming.

Working on getting back out there as soon as I can. Memorial day weekend we did the AT thru the smokies. It was an epic 4 1/2 days.

I got a short overnight hike on Bartram Trail planned and then the next section on the BMT will be App Hwy to Daly Gap/Jacks River. The section after that will be Daly Gap to Thunder Rock Campground, which I hope has overnight parking.

TNhiker
05-28-2015, 15:33
Theres parking at thunder rock....

cant remember if there was a charge but you could also park near the dam, or somewhere along the road....

i haven't parked there as I was on way to big frog area from that side.....

SGT Rock
05-28-2015, 18:50
No charge to park at Thunder Rock.

AO2134
06-23-2015, 00:55
I came back from another weekend hike on the BMT. We did Appalachian Highway (49.4 miles) to Dally Gap (75.3 miles). When the BMT intersects the Jacks River Trail, you can take the Jacks River Trail to Dally Gap Parking Lot.

Definitely not the most scenic hike ever. In fact, there were almost no views in this section and the one listed in SGT Rock's guide we must have passed without seeing the side trail to the view.

I wasn't a huge fan of this section.

This section begins with 6ish miles of road walks/private property walking. I tried my best to document this 6ish mile section to help hikers. However, as a result, the video is quite plain and boring. However, if you are worried about this section, I hope this video will help.

BMT Section 3 - Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagnF7j4roQ

AO2134
06-23-2015, 23:03
BMT Section 3 - Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4cUWL9WF8E

SGT Rock
06-29-2015, 19:18
That wasn't you guys we ran into up around Dally Gap was it?

AO2134
06-29-2015, 20:16
We did cross paths at least once. It was a good thing I didn't notice it was you or I would have asked you 1,000 questions about the upcoming trail. I was hiking with my friend who is section hiking the BMT with me. I was the one who was beating the stuffing out of anorexia. We also had two dogs who followed us nearly twenty miles!!! We couldn't get them to go back. Luckily, one had a phone number on caller and the owner came to pick them up.

We had a beautiful night Saturday. It was some of the best sleep I have ever had on the trail. The campsite just before Double Hog Pen Gap is really nice.

SGT Rock
06-29-2015, 20:40
We saw those dogs the next day at Brushy Head gap

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

AO2134
06-29-2015, 20:49
We saw those dogs the next day at Brushy Head gap

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

The owner must live around there. That is more or less where they started following us. I want to say we were off the road walk no more than 10-15 minutes before they joined us for a hike.

AO2134
08-25-2015, 11:28
Sorry for the long absence in videos from the BMT. I have finally finished the Bartram Trail, my second "longish" distance trail after completing South Carolina's Foothills Trail last year.

Soon, I anticipate I will be doing Dally Gap (~75) to Unicoi Gap (~129). I would love to finish the BMT this year, but I am not sure if I will be able to this year. I am fairly positive I will get at least to the smokies this year. I am not to fond of doing the smokies very late in the season. I am less of a risk taker than many of you. I don't think I would enjoy hiking is snow despite its undeniable beauty.

SGT Rock
08-25-2015, 19:43
You should be free of snow until probably February

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

TNhiker
08-25-2015, 22:07
yeah...

i wouldnt worry about snow....

just keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared for it, but there are plenty of snow free weekends up in this area (the smokys and other parts of the BMT are only an hour or so away).....

be prepared for the cold though..........

AO2134
08-26-2015, 12:35
If that is the case, then it is far more likely that I will finish this year. I was looking at a website for normal snow fall. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

I anticipate I will need 6 more weekend hikes to finish the BMT this year. 3 to get from Dally Gap to 20 mile ranger station and 3 to finish the 100 mile smokies. If I do finish it, it will likely be close to the end of November beginning of December.

SGT Rock
08-27-2015, 03:55
Snow is hard to forecast for shutting you down. My first thru was January - February and I got lots of cold weather and even rain, but conditions aren't always right for snow. Even when you do get snow most of the BMT through the Park is lower altitude so it rarely sticks around. I was told that one of the reasons this route was picked for the BMT in the Park was to serve as an alternate route to the AT in those bad snow years.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

AO2134
09-08-2015, 01:22
Just did Dally Gap (75.3 miles) to Unicoi Turnpike (129.2 miles) as my fourth section hike.

Here is part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HioxRhasne8

This video is from day 1. Dally Gap to Thunder Rock Campground.

I will make and post the rest of the videos later. I will also post a brief review of the section.

I struggled this section. I was working (mentally and physically) so hard just to do 15-17 mile days. My first backpacking trip I could do that much. I am just too out of shape. My legs wouldn't move. The time crawled by. My body felt like it was falling apart. Minutes felt like hours. Least enjoyable hike I've done and it had nothing to do with the trail. It was definitely a me problem.

Tipi Walter
09-08-2015, 09:04
Thanks for your latest BMT video.

I passed over Hemp Top once and managed to detour up to the top (the old BMT used to go to the top until it was rerouted around on old logging cut). I found a good campsite on Hemp Top but no water. Does anyone know if there is water on Hemp Top, without having to hump it from Double Springs Gap???

Regarding no water at Double Springs, well, you need to follow both dry springs down hill until you reach water. And that climb out of Double Springs is tough as it climbs 800 feet in .8 of a mile.

You pass over Big Frog Mt but don't mention the usual spring before you get to the top. It's an important spring for Big Frog campers. One year I came thru and found the spring bone dry so I dumped my pack and followed the spring gully downhill for a hundred yards and found a real creek with real water. Good to know for those wanting to camp atop the Frog.

And a little north of Frog Mt are my favorite campsites.

When you go down Fork Ridge trail there's a nice campsite in the middle of the route with a decent water spring down the west side a couple hundred feet. I was getting water there once and when I came back up to my pack I met the German Tourist, a woman backpacker pulling the BMT.

I always find the most confusing part of this section to be from the West Fork of Rough Creek north to Thunder Rock campground as the trail weaves in and out of forest roads and strange numbers like 305 and 303 and whatever else. And this part is shared with bicycles which sucks.

Finally, the switchbacks down to Thunder Rock are steep and in my opinion the campground is a terrible place to camp unless you like sleeping next to an Interstate highway with noise pollution. A better choice would be either south on the BMT by the West Fork of Rough Creek OR cross highway 64 and climb up to Little Frog wilderness where there's a perfect campsite on top of a little ridge (on the old Dry Pond Lead trail). There's also water before you get to this spot on a side trail to the right which I believe is called Rocky Creek trail, so you don't have to hump water up from Thunder Rock.

AO2134
09-08-2015, 13:23
Thanks for your latest BMT video.

I passed over Hemp Top once and managed to detour up to the top (the old BMT used to go to the top until it was rerouted around on old logging cut). I found a good campsite on Hemp Top but no water. Does anyone know if there is water on Hemp Top, without having to hump it from Double Springs Gap???

Regarding no water at Double Springs, well, you need to follow both dry springs down hill until you reach water. And that climb out of Double Springs is tough as it climbs 800 feet in .8 of a mile.

You pass over Big Frog Mt but don't mention the usual spring before you get to the top. It's an important spring for Big Frog campers. One year I came thru and found the spring bone dry so I dumped my pack and followed the spring gully downhill for a hundred yards and found a real creek with real water. Good to know for those wanting to camp atop the Frog.

And a little north of Frog Mt are my favorite campsites.

When you go down Fork Ridge trail there's a nice campsite in the middle of the route with a decent water spring down the west side a couple hundred feet. I was getting water there once and when I came back up to my pack I met the German Tourist, a woman backpacker pulling the BMT.

I always find the most confusing part of this section to be from the West Fork of Rough Creek north to Thunder Rock campground as the trail weaves in and out of forest roads and strange numbers like 305 and 303 and whatever else. And this part is shared with bicycles which sucks.

Finally, the switchbacks down to Thunder Rock are steep and in my opinion the campground is a terrible place to camp unless you like sleeping next to an Interstate highway with noise pollution. A better choice would be either south on the BMT by the West Fork of Rough Creek OR cross highway 64 and climb up to Little Frog wilderness where there's a perfect campsite on top of a little ridge (on the old Dry Pond Lead trail). There's also water before you get to this spot on a side trail to the right which I believe is called Rocky Creek trail, so you don't have to hump water up from Thunder Rock.

Tipi, Thanks for the information and I am sorry i missed some of what you mentioned.

Hemp Top was virtually impassible to me over Labor Day Weekend.

I did miss the spring on the way up Frog Mountain. I was probably focused so much on getting to the top I missed it.

I did follow spring bed down a little. Perhaps, it was flowing better further down. I can't say. I know I went down one side and my friend went down the other. Neither had it easily accessible, but maybe we just didn't go far enough.

I agree on thunder Rock in so far as noise pollution (from major highway and other car campers). But I was tired and I couldn't go any further. Plus someone offered up a place to stay and free food. I couldn't say no. They have showers though, which I didn't learn until we left.

Our original goal was to do Dally Gap (75.3 miles) to Rock Creek Trail intersection (94.4 miles), but I ran out of legs and couldn't do it. All I could muster was a 17 mile day. I didn't hit one of goals for this hike.

SGT Rock
09-08-2015, 14:43
When I hiked through there in June Hemp Top was nearly impassable but I went up there anyway. Someone had VERY recently camped there.

Double Springs was running low but I could have got water there no problem. The climb out of Double Spring wasn't as hard as I remembered, I think because it is thankfully only 0.8 miles of hell before you get to a normal climb.

The spring near the top of Big Frog was just mud, but I followed the draw down to where Tipi is talking about and got water there. We camped on Big Frog that night and it was an EXCELLENT night!

I remember German Tourist, we had lunch together and I gave her a guide. She was doing the AT to BMT to the Pinhoti and is one of the only ones that has taken my advice and used the north section of the BMT to connect it. A truly experienced hiker that I would love to share a campsite with someday.

That last section of the BMT down to Thunder Rock isn't much to enjoy and I have occasionally short cut it by taking that last road crossing down to Thunder Rock instead. Thunder Rock Blows as a campsite. Too much truck noise. But I do enjoy those showers when the campsite is open. The Big Frog/Thunder Rock is a little confusing. After 3 or so times walking through there it starts to make sense LOL.

North of Thunder Rock there is some logging going on at the Kimsey Mountain Highway crossing. It has obliterated some trail blazing and screwed up a spring in the area. When you do your next section keep that in mind. The BMTA is looking at some sort of temporary marking in the area that will survive logging and keep hikers on track.

Tipi Walter
09-08-2015, 14:57
North of Thunder Rock there is some logging going on at the Kimsey Mountain Highway crossing. It has obliterated some trail blazing and screwed up a spring in the area. When you do your next section keep that in mind. The BMTA is looking at some sort of temporary marking in the area that will survive logging and keep hikers on track.

I hope there's no logging going at the Piney Flats Creek campsite on the BMT---it's too pretty to be destroyed.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog/i-V3Jxfnb/0/L/TRIP%20134%20197-L.jpg

SGT Rock
09-08-2015, 15:09
I don't know Walter, I certainly hope not.

AO2134
09-08-2015, 15:23
When I hiked through there in June Hemp Top was nearly impassable but I went up there anyway. Someone had VERY recently camped there.

Double Springs was running low but I could have got water there no problem. The climb out of Double Spring wasn't as hard as I remembered, I think because it is thankfully only 0.8 miles of hell before you get to a normal climb.

The spring near the top of Big Frog was just mud, but I followed the draw down to where Tipi is talking about and got water there. We camped on Big Frog that night and it was an EXCELLENT night!

I remember German Tourist, we had lunch together and I gave her a guide. She was doing the AT to BMT to the Pinhoti and is one of the only ones that has taken my advice and used the north section of the BMT to connect it. A truly experienced hiker that I would love to share a campsite with someday.

That last section of the BMT down to Thunder Rock isn't much to enjoy and I have occasionally short cut it by taking that last road crossing down to Thunder Rock instead. Thunder Rock Blows as a campsite. Too much truck noise. But I do enjoy those showers when the campsite is open. The Big Frog/Thunder Rock is a little confusing. After 3 or so times walking through there it starts to make sense LOL.

I've already done that section. I just haven't made the video for it yet. Kimsey Mountain Highway has some serious logging going on. On descent to Kimsey Mountain Highway, there was a "temporary re-route" sign telling hikers to go left on highway (just a gravel road) for 1.7 miles and then turn on McFarlan Rd for 0.3 miles to reconnect to the trail. I think it adds a mile to the trail distance more or less.

I spoke with a ranger from the Cherokee National Forest who explained that the logging is necessary to ensure greater diversity of plant and animal life, although he did concede it looks terrible now. The area of course will be rehabilitated.

He also said something about a possible re-route or a new section of the BMT to skip over Towee Creek Ford. They said something about just starting to work on it and it is going to be a big climb with many switchbacks. His explanation was not terribly clear. Maybe someone here knows.

This 55 mile section may have 3 parts. I am not sure. I did such a poor job that it may just have 2. I was so constantly tired/defeated that I didn't even want to hike much less hike and do everything necessary to record the video and take photos. So I just did less of it. Unfortunately, that is going to show as I missed large sections of very scenic portions of the trail.

AO2134
09-08-2015, 15:35
I hope there's no logging going at the Piney Flats Creek campsite on the BMT---it's too pretty to be destroyed.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog/i-V3Jxfnb/0/L/TRIP%20134%20197-L.jpg

I am sorry guys. I didn't go check. I did the temporary re-route and didn't have the energy/time to do the 0.6 mile out and back hike. We simply did the re-route. The trail near Kimsey however looked completely destroyed. To the point I couldn't tell where it went.

SGT Rock
09-08-2015, 17:38
I've already done that section. I just haven't made the video for it yet. Kimsey Mountain Highway has some serious logging going on. On descent to Kimsey Mountain Highway, there was a "temporary re-route" sign telling hikers to go left on highway (just a gravel road) for 1.7 miles and then turn on McFarlan Rd for 0.3 miles to reconnect to the trail. I think it adds a mile to the trail distance more or less.

I spoke with a ranger from the Cherokee National Forest who explained that the logging is necessary to ensure greater diversity of plant and animal life, although he did concede it looks terrible now. The area of course will be rehabilitated.

He also said something about a possible re-route or a new section of the BMT to skip over Towee Creek Ford. They said something about just starting to work on it and it is going to be a big climb with many switchbacks. His explanation was not terribly clear. Maybe someone here knows.

This 55 mile section may have 3 parts. I am not sure. I did such a poor job that it may just have 2. I was so constantly tired/defeated that I didn't even want to hike much less hike and do everything necessary to record the video and take photos. So I just did less of it. Unfortunately, that is going to show as I missed large sections of very scenic portions of the trail.I've worked on the Towee Creek reroute and it will take a while to finish. When you get to the Reliance section you will be walking along the Hiwasse River and at one point you will cross the parking area for the Towee Creek Picnic area and trail head. Currently the trail follows the creek upstream a short way and then crosses the creek and then climbs. In pleasant weather the Towee Creek crossing is a pleasant little dip, but in bad weather it could kill you. We looked at building a bridge but to make it stout enough to withstand the occasional floods in the area would have been cost prohibitive. So the solution was to go out to the road and cross on the road bridge then follow the road a few hundred yards and then climb up what is practically a cliff. Since it is nearly a cliff, the digging in of the trail is a lot of work including hammering out some rock and cribbing the trail in places. It may take a long time to complete as it is mostly done by volunteers when we get time.

SGT Rock
09-08-2015, 17:40
I am sorry guys. I didn't go check. I did the temporary re-route and didn't have the energy/time to do the 0.6 mile out and back hike. We simply did the re-route. The trail near Kimsey however looked completely destroyed. To the point I couldn't tell where it went.
When I was there the logging was limited to near Kimsey Highway. We didn't realize they were logging until we got very close to the road so I hope it sticks to that high ground and doesn't impact that wetland area.

Tipi Walter
09-08-2015, 20:13
There are two side creeks you have to cross on the Hiwassee section of the BMT: Loss Creek and Towee Creek. Both have excellent campsites but as Sgt Rock says, both can get dangerous in high water necessitating a north bank detour.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog/i-m2mXcff/0/L/TRIP%20134%20107-L.jpg
Here's the Loss Creek crossing which can get wild after a hard rain.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog/i-wzP6m2V/0/L/TRIP%20134%20110-L.jpg
But Loss Creek has an excellent campsite if you make it across (coming south on the B Mac).

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog/i-GJ7Q57F/0/L/TRIP%20134%20123-L.jpg
Here is Towee Creek which like Loss Creek can go wild in heavy rains.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-Big-Frog/i-vPbhHSP/0/L/TRIP%20134%20121-L.jpg
There's also an excellent campsite next to the Towee Creek crossing and a little bit north.

SGT Rock
09-08-2015, 20:30
I love that campsite on Loss Creek. I often think I'll use that one on Towee Creek as it is a short jaunt in from the parking area and would be a great campsite while traveling in a pinch, but I've never used it.

AO2134
09-08-2015, 21:20
SGT Rock,

I am using your 2014-15 guide. On mile 86.1, it says Intersect Rough Creek Trail (#70). It is a T-intersection with #70 going left and right. Perhaps add to the guide you should turn left on #70.

There are trails that intersect the BMT, but you never travel on them (i.e., Licklog Trail) and trails that you intersect and join, like #70.

Of course, anyone actually hiking the BMT would get the trail sign and see #2 <--, but as I was previewing the hike, I didn't know it was a "T" intersection and the BMT joins #70 until I looked at the map.

Prior to my hike, I took your guide and compared it to the map and made some additional notes and found that I basically never needed the map after that.

An example would be #70 above.

Just a suggestion.

Otherwise great job on the guide in this very confusing section.

SGT Rock
09-08-2015, 22:22
That section still confuses me sometimes. Thanks for the tip, I've started working on the 2016 guide.

AO2134
09-08-2015, 22:43
Looking for some help with my video. As I said, I did a poor job taking pictures and video. I barely had the energy to hike this section, much less do all the documenting. There is a 3-4 mile section where I have no pictures or video at all, between Lost Creek Camground and Gated FS 173. Basically any pictures you would like to contribute from Lost Creek Campground to FS 17 Gate, I would appreciate it. Especially looking for Lost Creek Campground, Lost Creek Campsite, the trail along lost creek, crossing little lost creek. It started lighting and raining hard and we found a place to camp near FS 17 Gate at mile 108.6.

Any donated pictures would be appreciated. Currently, I am just going to put some text in the video since I have nothing from it. I just remember being so tired I barely remember hiking that section. In fact, I have no memory of lost creek campground whatsoever, but I do remember hiking along lost creek on a very flat kind area with huge rocks to my left and creek to my right.

Any help would be appreciated!

AO2134
09-09-2015, 22:01
Sgt Rock - There is a stunning view right off a short pull off on the trail between loss creek and coker creek. I can't get more specific as I don't carry a GPS or anything like that telling me how far I've come. Pretty much rely on your guide for everything.

That being said, here is the view I am talking about. It was stunning. To me the best view of the trip!

As I look over the videos and photographs, I also realized I did a poor, poor job between just after Big Bend Picnic area and Loss creek too. I can't believe I allowed myself to think I was that tired. I am so disappointed and pissed at myself right now.

Maybe I will go back over a weekend I am not hiking something new and park (with permission I hope) at Hiwassee Outfiters near the road walk and do a quick 9 mile out-and-back day hike to Lost Creek Campground and actually record and take pictures of that section. Drive over to Big Bend Picnic area, park overnight and rehike Big Bend to Loss Creek. Camp there for night and hike back in the morning.

For now the video is going to be missing these sections.

SGT Rock
09-09-2015, 22:32
That is the Rock overlook that is at about 120.3 on my updated 2016 mileages. It is about 0.6 miles from the Coker Creek foot bridge.

AO2134
09-10-2015, 01:34
BMT - Section 4 - Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anb_uNFdz88

This finished the Labor Day hike from Thunder Rock Campground to Unicoi Gap.

No set time for the next section, but it will probably be from Unicoi to Mud Gap.

AO2134
10-08-2015, 12:57
Hey guys.

Sorry for the long delay in videos. I hate to say it, but it may be a few more weeks before I get back to the BMT. My hiking partner has been dealing with bad knee and it just isn't getting any better. I started hiking the BMT with him so I don't want to jump ahead of him and make him catch up. I also really dislike out-and-back hikes on trails I haven't completed yet. The benefit of having two people is that we can self-shuttle and do point to point and cover virtually twice the distance. So that being said, I am not sure when I will post my next BMT video, but I promise you I will finish the trail. Hopefully this year. By my math, I have 5 more weekend hikes to finish the BMT.

AO2134
10-19-2015, 15:00
I just got back from doing a section on the BMT. Unicoi Gap to Mud Gap. I am very out of shape. The 32 mile hike hurt, and it will show on the amount of videos/pictures I took. Day 1, including side trails, I was only able to muster a 15ish mile day. We were expecting to do 18-20 miles day 1. Since I couldn't do it, we were required to wake up at 5:30 am and starting our hike at 6am in the dark. We hiked for 1 1/2 hours without daylight. To make matters worse, my headlamp was so weak (nearly dead battery) that I could barely see anything. We ended up doing our 17+ mile day on Sunday before 3:30 pm, which put got us home in a respectable time.

This is the second time my fitness was interfered with a hike on the BMT. Going to do something about it.

Video will be created and posted hopefully tonight.

AO2134
10-23-2015, 00:56
Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd8ayWovLWo

Unicoi Gap (129.2 miles) to Mud Gap (161 miles).

AO2134
11-05-2015, 13:40
This weather. . . it just continues to really suck. No BMT video this week either. It is looking less and less likely that my friend and I will finish the BMT this year. We will finish though. That much I can guarantee. I am very disappointed we very likely won't be able to finish it this year.

Spacelord
11-06-2015, 01:53
This weather. . . it just continues to really suck. No BMT video this week either. It is looking less and less likely that my friend and I will finish the BMT this year. We will finish though. That much I can guarantee. I am very disappointed we very likely won't be able to finish it this year.
So true. I'm going to stash food Sunday for a hike from GSMNP back to hwy.68 starting on the 10th.
Everyone going is down about the weather, needs to change for morals sake. This has been planned for about three months so cancelling is not an option. Hope to meet you on the trail one day.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

AO2134
11-09-2015, 11:21
So true. I'm going to stash food Sunday for a hike from GSMNP back to hwy.68 starting on the 10th.
Everyone going is down about the weather, needs to change for morals sake. This has been planned for about three months so cancelling is not an option. Hope to meet you on the trail one day.

I just checked the weather for your Nov. 10th trip. It looks like you may have a few pretty good days. The only rain I see it today and thursday. Goodluck on your trip. Have fun out there.

Also, my friend and I decided to brave the rain this past weekend and finished a section from Mus Gap to Fontana. I did my very best documenting the re-route which was at times very easy and at times somewhat challenging, especially as you leave trail #45 towards Tapaco lodge. I am not sure we did this section right, but we ended up at Tapaco lodge nonetheless and found our way back on the trail. We also had to do about 1 hour of night hiking to get to the campsite near the creek given the trail conditions with all the rain. Maybe in day light that section would have been clearer, but it wasn't at night. I will flush this out a little more in the video.

So expect a new video this week.

AO2134
11-09-2015, 16:28
If anyone has a nice picture of the view at the hangover and wouldn't mind sharing it some I can put it in my video I would appreciate it. When we went up there, there was nothing to see but clouds, rain and dense fog.

AO2134
11-15-2015, 00:12
BMT - Section 6 - Part 1. Mud Gap to Fontana Dam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKwVItz0xo

We did the re-route. We had some confusion with a little bit of night hiking at Yellowhammer Gap towards Tapoco. Maybe we went the right way. I am not really sure. I really enjoyed the re-route. It was possibly my favorite section of the trip.

The constant rain played havoc with my camera. Some of the audio came out corrupted, but it is a very small portion.

Hope you guys enjoy. Part two was recorded on my cell. Somehow my camera died on me overnight. If it is anything like last time I recorded with my phone, the video may be a little jumpy in the second part.

Traffic Jam
11-15-2015, 08:48
BMT - Section 6 - Part 1. Mud Gap to Fontana Dam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKwVItz0xo

We did the re-route. We had some confusion with a little bit of night hiking at Yellowhammer Gap towards Tapoco. Maybe we went the right way. I am not really sure. I really enjoyed the re-route. It was possibly my favorite section of the trip.

The constant rain played havoc with my camera. Some of the audio came out corrupted, but it is a very small portion.

Hope you guys enjoy. Part two was recorded on my cell. Somehow my camera died on me overnight. If it is anything like last time I recorded with my phone, the video may be a little jumpy in the second part.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That section sucked for me.

Traffic Jam
11-15-2015, 08:58
If anyone has a nice picture of the view at the hangover and wouldn't mind sharing it some I can put it in my video I would appreciate it. When we went up there, there was nothing to see but clouds, rain and dense fog.

Here are a few.

Traffic Jam
11-15-2015, 09:27
Here are a few.

Sorry, just watched the video (really enjoyed it) and saw you got a photo.

AO2134
11-15-2015, 09:39
Sorry, just watched the video (really enjoyed it) and saw you got a photo.

Thanks TJ. Tipi was kind enough to give me one. It looks stunning. I will be returning to do that section again. This time though, hopefully it wont constantly rain next time. The Hangover looks amazing! Great pictures!

Tipi Walter
11-15-2015, 10:35
I checked out the video and have a few comments and a summary.

** Mud Gap. Your comment of the Cherohala Skyway as a "bad ass road". How I wish you were hiking there in July when this road was a loud motorcycle racetrack ruining the mountain experience in a 10 mile radius. But you're right, it IS sort of hard to pronounce as I call it the CheroHowler Monkey Sphincter Septic Sewage Screaming Scarway.

** Rock Quarry has many good camping spots but it's hard to get tent pegs into the ground in the "man made bald campsite." It's a dynamited and bulldozed mountaintop removal spot to make the Skyway.

** North River road crossing.
** Unicoi Crest---Beech Gap.
** Cold Spring Gap where you guys camped and there's an excellent water source just 50 feet down the 105 South Fork trail side.

** 54A South is steep.
** Bob Tee.
** Bob Bald.
** Butt Rock (54/53).

** At 8:58 Nice little campsite is actually in Naked Ground Gap. "Campsite with view" is of course Naked Ground Gap.

** 10:00 is Haoe Peak at around 5,200 feet and showing the Haoe Lead trail jct.
** Saddle Tree Gap.
** 10:48 on Hangover Lead South trail in a level gap with ample campsites and a place I call Elysium Fields.
** New signs in Big Fat Gap.

** Windy Gap trail and Windy Gap (not Winding Gap).
** Nichols Cove gravesite and Yellowhammer trail jct.
** Yellowhammer Gap.
** The new Tapoco lodge trail from Yellowhammer Gap descends nicely and then comes to a Tee intersection with a logging road. It seems in the video you went left on this road and climbed but I have no idea where that goes as I went right and down to pass by a couple metal buildings and entered the backside of the Tapoco Lodge compound. Eventually the trail reaches the Lodge and Cheoah River and the bridge to Yellow Creek Mt Trail etc. The BMT was very poorly marked between Yellowhammer Gap and Tapoco Lodge when I did it in April 2015.

AO2134
11-15-2015, 12:31
I checked out the video and have a few comments and a summary.

** Mud Gap. Your comment of the Cherohala Skyway as a "bad ass road". How I wish you were hiking there in July when this road was a loud motorcycle racetrack ruining the mountain experience in a 10 mile radius. But you're right, it IS sort of hard to pronounce as I call it the CheroHowler Monkey Sphincter Septic Sewage Screaming Scarway.

** Rock Quarry has many good camping spots but it's hard to get tent pegs into the ground in the "man made bald campsite." It's a dynamited and bulldozed mountaintop removal spot to make the Skyway.

** North River road crossing.
** Unicoi Crest---Beech Gap.
** Cold Spring Gap where you guys camped and there's an excellent water source just 50 feet down the 105 South Fork trail side.

** 54A South is steep.
** Bob Tee.
** Bob Bald.
** Butt Rock (54/53).

** At 8:58 Nice little campsite is actually in Naked Ground Gap. "Campsite with view" is of course Naked Ground Gap.

** 10:00 is Haoe Peak at around 5,200 feet and showing the Haoe Lead trail jct.
** Saddle Tree Gap.
** 10:48 on Hangover Lead South trail in a level gap with ample campsites and a place I call Elysium Fields.
** New signs in Big Fat Gap.

** Windy Gap trail and Windy Gap (not Winding Gap).
** Nichols Cove gravesite and Yellowhammer trail jct.
** Yellowhammer Gap.
** The new Tapoco lodge trail from Yellowhammer Gap descends nicely and then comes to a Tee intersection with a logging road. It seems in the video you went left on this road and climbed but I have no idea where that goes as I went right and down to pass by a couple metal buildings and entered the backside of the Tapoco Lodge compound. Eventually the trail reaches the Lodge and Cheoah River and the bridge to Yellow Creek Mt Trail etc. The BMT was very poorly marked between Yellowhammer Gap and Tapoco Lodge when I did it in April 2015.

Thank you for the notes. I will had some of them to the comments on the video so others can see as well. Cherohala road was great both times we drove on it. Sat morning, we didn't see another soul on the road. It was great. In the PM on Sunday, there were more vehicles, but still nothing oppressive. That being said, I understand why the road may become overcrowded mess with easy views for bikers and car hikers.

Thanks for the other explanations. When I hike and stop to make a video I don't always take out my guide to know exactly what I am looking at, so I make mistakes forgetting names. Winding vs Windy. Sometimes, I am just so tired I don't even realize I said it wrong. I am not in the shape I used to be. I am in bad shape actually. 15-17 miles is now something that requires real effort for me and I can't climb like I used to. I used to be able to climb any mountain with little to no stopping. It was my strength. I was slow on the downhills. Now I am still slow on the downhills, but I have no climbing endurance. It is really messing with my head. I need to get it back.

We didn't camp at Cold Springs. We started SAT at Mud Gap and made it to just outside Tapoco Lodge., someone else was camping there.

As to Tapoco, from your description, it sounds like we did it right. We did climb up towards the dam and got a nice little view, but it was a tough little climb. We then decided we went the wrong way and we went downhill toward the creek joining an old road towards Tapoco Lodge. So it sounds like we eventually made it to the right location after climbing back down and taking the right you were speaking of. We passed several metal structures, old tennis courts, the remains of an old building perhaps, the cottages, and eventually the lodge itself.

We went in to say our thank you for allowing us to cross their property and bought some items in appreciation.

The Tapoco Lodge trail was not marked when we did it last weekend, which just made us more nervous since we were hiking in the dark and not 100% sure we were on the right trail. It made for a frustrating night and morning to say the least, but it sounds like we eventually found the right way.

Tipi Walter
11-15-2015, 13:46
I can't wait for your description leaving Tapoco Lodge and heading up the rigorous Yellow Creek Mountain reroute trail. It's got some serious roller coaster nutbusters. (You may have already done this final section to Fontana as I haven't studied all of your videos).

Anyway, like the other reroute the YCMT is a new BMT reroute which offers minimal roadwalking and follows an old trail which used to be the original Appalachian Trail in the early 1940's before Fontana Dam was built, so some of the old time legends like Myron Avery etc hiked this section from Tapoco to Fontana and Walker Gap.

I like to link up the Citico/Slickrock wilderness with the AT by following the Yellowhammer/Tapoco route to the river and taking the 9 mile YCMT to Walker Gap where the old trail jcts the AT. But the new BMT reroute on YCMT does not pull the extra 1.7 miles past Green Gap to jct Walker Gap and instead falls off the mountain near Lookout Rock and descends to Fontana etc.

AO2134
11-15-2015, 15:40
I can't wait for your description leaving Tapoco Lodge and heading up the rigorous Yellow Creek Mountain reroute trail. It's got some serious roller coaster nutbusters. (You may have already done this final section to Fontana as I haven't studied all of your videos).

Anyway, like the other reroute the YCMT is a new BMT reroute which offers minimal roadwalking and follows an old trail which used to be the original Appalachian Trail in the early 1940's before Fontana Dam was built, so some of the old time legends like Myron Avery etc hiked this section from Tapoco to Fontana and Walker Gap.

I like to link up the Citico/Slickrock wilderness with the AT by following the Yellowhammer/Tapoco route to the river and taking the 9 mile YCMT to Walker Gap where the old trail jcts the AT. But the new BMT reroute on YCMT does not pull the extra 1.7 miles past Green Gap to jct Walker Gap and instead falls off the mountain near Lookout Rock and descends to Fontana etc.

Yea, that was a difficult section. A lot of ups and down. It was constant ups and downs it felt like, but it was also rewarding because you had ridge line views to both sides often. I loved hiking with a view, even though it was difficult. I remember in particular the last climb up to Yellowhammer peak. I was getting pretty tired by then. I remember being able to hike maybe 45 seconds and then needed a break. 45 seconds!!! Lol, I couldn't handle the ups by that point. Finally I reached the summit, and we start descending, and in certain sections it got very steep which slowed me down and the area down to Fontana Village became a little confused because of all the downed leaves it was hard to pick up the trail, but after that the trail was smooth sailing. I was really able to pick up my pace and put the miles in.

Hopefully, I can get the video edited and posted by Wednesday-Thursday.

AO2134
11-17-2015, 01:10
BMT - Section 6 - Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRjo0npSFQ

I had to record this part with my phone, which takes awful, jumpy video. Sorry about that.

Tipi Walter
11-17-2015, 13:26
Thanks for the new vid. I'm familiar all the way to Green Gap and long ago took the old Lookout Rock trail up from a Fontana road to Lookout Rock and Green Gap but the new BMT reroute only uses a small part of the old Lookout Rock trail as the reroute goes much further East to northeast to reach the AT.

Some comments:
** Tapoco Lodge to Meadow Branch road and the Yellow Creek Mt trail with the brand new footbridge.
** Bearpen Gap, powerlines not mentioned in Sgt Rock's guide?
** Oldfield Road crossing.
** At 4:24 on top of that little ridge there's an excellent flat spot for camping a little to the left of the trail.

** Halfmile Gap---there's water and a place I camped in the gap.
** The wooden steps!
** Big powerline confusion. This used to be a very confusing place.
** You skipped the NUT climb to the top of Yellow Creek Mt.

** At 6:50 if you go up here in around 2 miles you'll reach the AT south of Fontana at Walker Gap.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/13-Backpacking-Trips-Of-2003/i-7zjZHRC/0/M/tj4861_102506_062108_191071-M.jpg
Back in 2003 I pulled the hateful YCMT before it was cleared and followed it to Walker Gap. Here I stop at the old Lookout Rock sign in Green Gap and at the top of the old Lookout Rock trail.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/13-Backpacking-Trips-Of-2003/i-Kn24r9H/0/M/tj4861_102506_060904_191065-M.jpg
This is a 2003 pic of Lookout Rock in the fog.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/21-Days-Yellow-Mt/i-PnRsStx/0/M/Trip%20156%20190-M.jpg
In 2014 I returned to YCMT after it was opened up by the BMTA and found this campsite in Halfmile Gap which is near water.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/21-Days-Yellow-Mt/i-KZQRVC6/0/M/Trip%20156%20204-M.jpg
What the steps looked like when new on FS 251B.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/21-Days-Yellow-Mt/i-KqLRFP4/0/M/Trip%20156%20224-M.jpg
You don't mention the nutbusting climb to this spot---the top of Yellow Creek Mt at 3,232 feet. I hauled water from the last spring source so I could camp up here. WARNING: I did this trip in May and was bombarded by all-day motorcycle noise from both sides of the ridge on highways 129 and 28 and others. If you value your peace of mind and enjoy mountain stillness, DO NOT BACKPACK THE YCMT in the summer/spring or fall. All you'll hear are harley roars and screaming rice burners.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/21-Days-Yellow-Mt/i-D8vWkP8/0/M/Trip%20156%20260-M.jpg
I found this old sign at the start of the YCMT by the footbridge on Meadow Branch road and pieced it together. A boy scout troop opened up the trail back in 1971.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/18-Days-with-Amy/i-8p9ThLX/0/M/TRIP%20164%20196-M.jpg
In April 2015 I joined Amy Willow on her thruhike of the BMT and here she is at Tapoco Lodge preparing to shove off and tackle the YCMT. We made quite a sight to the lodge patrons as we swung thru smelling like road kill and squatted down wherever we wanted.

I wrote up our visit to Tapoco Lodge in my trip report:

A BACKPACKER'S REFLECTIONS ON THE TAPOCO COMPOUND
Amy has a perfect day to get into Fontana and get a room at the Fontana hostel. And it's comical to think Tapoco Lodge will get any real BMT hiker business when it's swarmed with motorcyclists and car tourists hungry to see what's left of Graham county but to see it in style and only---repeat only---when rolling. It's a bustling ant farm with white frocked chefs and rolled pallets and unloaded trucks and busy bees going to and fro on specially painted green ATVs doing god knows what. The filthy BMT backpacker will pass thru the gauntlet of the Tapoco compound and hike past the restaurant windows as patrons drop their forks in disgust, a grand nature motor loop adventure ruined by freddie the freeloader in stained coolmax.

ATVs will be alerted and security will hang back because they all had a group meeting last month about these bums and the hiker trash coming thru the property. Like hobos pressed up to the restaurant glass of a fine Park Ave eatery, we will look into the lodge dining hall and salivate like dogs before finding a patch of green grass to dump our packs and take off mustard gaseous boots and socks. The mercedes patrons will recoil in horror to see Uncle Fungus and Turd Finger and Food Bolus all sitting together grinning like idiot monkeys and pulling out their folding money to actually go into the lodge and buy something. Aghast! The dog huns have taken the city! Gray Poupon is splashed on BMW car keys and we have to get out!!! Troy has fallen!!!

Meanwhile Uncle Dotard will strip to his speedos and do a thorough bath with bronners in nearby Cheoah River. I'm sure some backpacking newb idiots will come thru at night and set up camp on the first mowed level green patch they find. All this comes later as the Tapoco trail from Yellowhammer Gap becomes more established for BMT hikers. What BMT hikers you ask? And you are right, there are no BMT hikers. 5 a year at most, maybe 10. The run thru Tapoco will pinch their foreheads shut and the YCMT will wrap their colons around their necks like scarves. It's a one-two punch but it must be done to get into the Smokies. Amy is probably going around in tight circles below the powerlines and has been doing so for the last 12 hours like Sambo making butter.

AO2134
11-18-2015, 17:13
I am jealous of your knowledge of the area. I could make substantially better videos if I had your knowledge.

YCMT was tough. No doubt about it. Roller coaster ups and downs and constant ups and downs, but what I remember the most was Yellow Creek Mountain summit. I was struggling to climb before that but, by Yellow Creek Mountain, I couldn't climb any more. I remember being able to hike for less than a minute before I needed a break. It was bad.

YCMT is a very tough trail, but it is rewarding. This time of year you have some pretty nice trail vistas. I enjoyed it quite a bit. After getting down to the Fontana Village/Lodge, it was all pretty easy from there until Fontana.

Tipi Walter
11-18-2015, 17:44
I am jealous of your knowledge of the area. I could make substantially better videos if I had your knowledge.

YCMT was tough. No doubt about it. Roller coaster ups and downs and constant ups and downs, but what I remember the most was Yellow Creek Mountain summit. I was struggling to climb before that but, by Yellow Creek Mountain, I couldn't climb any more. I remember being able to hike for less than a minute before I needed a break. It was bad.

YCMT is a very tough trail, but it is rewarding. This time of year you have some pretty nice trail vistas. I enjoyed it quite a bit. After getting down to the Fontana Village/Lodge, it was all pretty easy from there until Fontana.

You know as much or more than I know about the area and about the BMT and you're learning more everyday. No sweat. And really, how much is there to know? You hike up a mountain, you hike down a mountain, you get water, you set up camp, you look at a newt or a toad, you cook a meal, you repeat and the trek continues.

Backpackers who hike in the Southeast have all sorts of tough trails to explore---Yellow Creek Mt is just one of hundreds, but yes it is tough.

AO2134
11-22-2015, 20:36
Another 36ish miles in the books. Fontana Dam to Nolan Creek Trail.

A few firsts this hike.

12x12 achievement unlocked, albeit, it was on the lakeshore trail so I am not sure if it should really count. We did 12.3 miles by 12 PM and we started just before 7 AM.

Longest day is now 24 miles.

A fun trip.

Spacelord
11-22-2015, 21:32
I always enjoy these reports. The BMT from the Smokies to Cherry Log is definitely one of my favorite hikes.

AO2134
11-23-2015, 11:55
I always enjoy these reports. The BMT from the Smokies to Cherry Log is definitely one of my favorite hikes.

Glad to hear people enjoy the videos. I am a big fan of the trail so far. I have enjoyed it. I am also so close to the finish I can smell it. Two more weekends and I should get it done. Next one would be a short, chill hike from Nolan Creek to Smokemont. The one after that should be Smokemont to the northern terminus. I am still hopeful we can get it done this year.

I will post the first part of Section 7 this week for sure.

AO2134
11-25-2015, 03:02
Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 7 - Part 1 - Fontana Dam to Noland Creek Trailhead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOCFVK9W9gM

In this video, I have Fontana Dam to Olie Cove Intersection with the Lakeshore Trail. Expect part 2 later this week or early next week.

Hope you guys enjoy.

AO2134
11-27-2015, 22:01
Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 7 - Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98wgXo16cvw

Ewker
11-28-2015, 16:23
thanks for sharing all of your videos

JasonByers
11-29-2015, 11:57
These are great videos to go along with Sgt Rock's guide. I like how you're covering the campsite terrain well and saying how many tents you can setup. You can also see the tree locations which are handy for hammockers. I'm planning my next section from 515 to Daly Gap based on your video. Great job!

AO2134
11-30-2015, 13:13
These are great videos to go along with Sgt Rock's guide. I like how you're covering the campsite terrain well and saying how many tents you can setup. You can also see the tree locations which are handy for hammockers. I'm planning my next section from 515 to Daly Gap based on your video. Great job!

Thanks. Happy you found them helpful. Hopefully, my videos will be a nice compliment to Sgt Rock's guide. The private property walk that starts that section could be confusing. Keep an eye out for the blazes and pull off's oIn that section there are still blazes as you are not quite into the Cohutta Wilderness area until you get very close to Jacks River Trail and Dally Gap. Happy hiking man.

AO2134
12-07-2015, 12:05
I just got back from my second to last BMT section. Noland Creek Trailhead to Smokemont Campground.

I need to say this. I HATE pole road Creek Trail. The two fords of Noland Creek Trail, however, were fun.

They had a lot of rain in the last couple of days and the trail was very wet (muddy, if not an active stream down the trail). The rangers said the fords could be a little dangerous given the rain. We did the fords without a problem. However, once we got to Pole Road Creek Trail, the trails crosses the creek many times. I expect that usually you could rock hop all those crossings, but with all the water it became very difficult. I tried to rock hop those crossings. I should have stopped and forded them. Instead I ended up with a hurt ankle, shoulder, and very, very wet and socks and boots.

Given the poor trail conditions it took me nearly 7 hours to do 12ish miles. 7!!! It was slow going for me. We spent the night on campsite 56. Next morning left around 8 am and finished the remaining 13 miles in 6 hours. Sunkota ridge and Newton Bald trail had some pretty nice trail winter views. It was a very peaceful (and dry!) day 2.

Part 1 of the video will come out this week for sure.

Gonecampn
12-12-2015, 21:29
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the video as well. We were up at the southern AT/BMT Terminus on Wed. enjoying a day hike. Looking forward to completing the TN section on the BMT this spring/summer.

AO2134
12-13-2015, 22:00
Well, I just updated my signature. It now says Benton MacKaye Trail - 2015. I have finished my section hike of the BMT. What a truly bittersweet moment. I feel in love with the view at the Mt. Sterling toward. Truly awe inspiring. What an incredible 286 mile journey.

I am behind on my videos. I have had a hectic couples of weeks with work and hiking. By this weekend I hope to have the video for last weekend's trip and over Christmas break I will make and post the trip we just finished.

@ Gonecampn It is an amazing trail. I would strongly recommend getting the NAT GEO maps and SGT Rock's guidebook. It is a very different experience than the AT, and I loved the trail even more for that. You don't have the AT crowds. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, but I'd ask TIPI or SGT Rock. They have forgotten more about the BMT than I will ever know. I just like walking in the woods and climbing mountains. I have no actual clue what I am looking at. I just know I like it.

Traffic Jam
12-15-2015, 02:22
Congratulations!

AO2134
12-16-2015, 17:28
Thank you sir.

It is crazy to think that before I started this journey I once wrote about the BMT on this forum:

"I've always thought you had to be a "real" hiker to hike the BMT. Even after 500 miles in less than 6 months exclusively on weekends, I feel like the BMT is still too much to handle.

Difficult to navigate sections, route changes, long stretches without a blaze, the necessity of a map (i have never hiked with one) and the ability/knowledge to read it.

All of this makes the BMT a little intimidating to me."

I guess by my "standard" last year, I am a "real" hiker now lol.

It was such a fun ride. Truly enjoyed it.

But I am already starting to plan the next section hike of a long distance trail: The Pinhoti and maybe joining the 900 mile club in the smokies.

AO2134
12-17-2015, 00:55
Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 8 - Part 1: https://youtu.be/WNUyan7MFWY

AO2134
12-19-2015, 16:24
Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 8 - Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv-sV3Nc2Pk

Ewker
12-22-2015, 12:06
any idea when you will get your last video's up

AO2134
12-22-2015, 12:38
I will have one up tonight. The last one hopefully before Christmas day.

Ewker
12-22-2015, 13:52
thanks.......

OldTrailDog
12-22-2015, 19:08
I am planning on thru hiking the AT this coming season (2016). A couple weeks ago I emailed my co-conspirator in this project that there was a possible alternative trail through GSNP, i.e. the BMT GSNP portion.

There was two main reasons for mentioning this alternate route through the park. One, and primary, is that my border collie will be coming with me. Since dogs aren't allowed in GSNP I have been looking at how to tackle this challenge. When I looked at the GSNP map it looks like the BMT touch roads at around four locations that could possibly be used for slack packing through the park by dropping off one person, driving around to the road/trail junction, start hiking the same trail segment, exchange the key. and when the first person that was dropped off gets to the vehicle he drives back to the starting point to pick up the person who shuttled the vehicle. It means some relatively long days (I've hiked 55 and 40 mile days before), but at this point on the AT we will be trail hardened and going light, so it might be possible??? This is possibly to complicated or even too complicated to understand what I am envisioning (for an example read page 111 in AWOL on the Appalachian Trail) Of course, the other option is hire a shuttle and kennel while we are in GSNP.

The other reason was, if the weather was poor during this time of the fall (we anticipate hitting this stretch in October, it looks like the BMT is much lower elevation wise than the ridge line followed by the AT. This could possibly mean the weather on the BMT could be less inclement than up on the ridge? What are your thoughts?

AO2134
12-22-2015, 20:38
I am planning on thru hiking the AT this coming season (2016). A couple weeks ago I emailed my co-conspirator in this project that there was a possible alternative trail through GSNP, i.e. the BMT GSNP portion.

There was two main reasons for mentioning this alternate route through the park. One, and primary, is that my border collie will be coming with me. Since dogs aren't allowed in GSNP I have been looking at how to tackle this challenge. When I looked at the GSNP map it looks like the BMT touch roads at around four locations that could possibly be used for slack packing through the park by dropping off one person, driving around to the road/trail junction, start hiking the same trail segment, exchange the key. and when the first person that was dropped off gets to the vehicle he drives back to the starting point to pick up the person who shuttled the vehicle. It means some relatively long days (I've hiked 55 and 40 mile days before), but at this point on the AT we will be trail hardened and going light, so it might be possible??? This is possibly to complicated or even too complicated to understand what I am envisioning (for an example read page 111 in AWOL on the Appalachian Trail) Of course, the other option is hire a shuttle and kennel while we are in GSNP.

The other reason was, if the weather was poor during this time of the fall (we anticipate hitting this stretch in October, it looks like the BMT is much lower elevation wise than the ridge line followed by the AT. This could possibly mean the weather on the BMT could be less inclement than up on the ridge? What are your thoughts?

First, if you can do 40 to 55 mile days, I wouldn't worry about your dog. You'd be done with the AT thru the smokies in 2 days. The AT thru the smokies is a little over 70 miles. I would just put her in a kennel for a night.

Second, the BMT thru the smokies has a major road intersection at the start at fontana. About 36 miles on the Lakeshore trail will take you to Noland Creek Trailhead (the road to nowhere). Another road at Smokemont campground off of 441, which is 25 miles from Noland Creek Trailhead. Finally from Smokemont to Big Creek Ranger Station is another 31ish miles.

The Lakeshore trail could be done in a day. We did 24 miles in less than 10 hours in December and finished the last 12 miles by 1:00 PM. I am pretty sure I could day hike the lakeshore trail in a day with a little night hiking, but my longest day was just over 30 miles. So with 40 and 55 mile days, you shouldn't have an issue day hiking that first section or that section. The third section was a little harder given more significant elevation change, but we still managed to knock out almost 20 miles day 1 leaving 11-12 day 2. I could easily see day hiking this section as well.

AO2134
12-22-2015, 22:22
BMT - Section 9 - Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF2Og_sVDlU

This will be the last section, but there will be a second part.

AO2134
12-23-2015, 12:00
Benton MacKaye Trail - Section 9 - Part 2: The last and final section of the BMT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrPdOwJHyo

What an amazing ride. It is very likely the longest long distance trail I will complete in the next 30-40 years.

Ewker
12-23-2015, 12:03
You can always hike the Sheltowee Trace Trail in Tn/Ky. It is close to 300 miles long

AO2134
12-23-2015, 13:41
You can always hike the Sheltowee Trace Trail in Tn/Ky. It is close to 300 miles long

Ah I know there are plenty of other trails to hike, but as a weekend warrior only, I cannot. . . or I guess refuse, to drive 6-7 hours Friday night after work. Get to the trail around 1 am. hike all day SAT part of the day Sunday and drive another 6-7 hours home. It simply is too far away from me. That is why the AT for me will end at Damascus. I just cant and wont make that drive as a weekend warrior.

The more local trail I am considering is the Pinhoti Trail. It is 335 miles long give or take, but it has 60-70 miles of road walks. I am not sure I am too into doing that much road walking. I will do the Alabama section for sure as it has 140ish miles of nearly continuous trails with very little to no road walking.

I don't have a problem redoing trails i've done before.

AO2134
01-20-2016, 03:34
"Best of the Benton MacKaye Trail" Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VnWORVMBGk

Ewker
01-20-2016, 21:56
I watched your video earlier today. Thanks for putting a best of BMT video out

AO2134
01-23-2016, 13:06
I watched your video earlier today. Thanks for putting a best of BMT video out

Thanks for watching. It was such an amazing trail.

I am on to my next adventure: The Pinhoti Trail! I hope to start the trail soon!

Ewker
01-23-2016, 15:50
Good luck to you on the PT