PDA

View Full Version : No partner, no problem?

HarleyHogPit
11-06-2005, 22:48
My plan is to begin a thru-hike on the trail in late March/early April heading North. I want to be with other hikers but not necessarily lock myself into anything with a partner. My concern is that I will not have anyone to hike with if I don't plan it ahead of time. Do you suggest finding someone before hand or will plenty of others be looking for someone to hike with around that time? I just want to know that I will not be totally alone. If anyone has any suggestions I would love some advice.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2005, 22:50
You ain't gonna be alone. Just walk. ****'ll happen.:)

hammock engineer
11-07-2005, 00:47
Is the same thing true of SOBO if I start in early or mid June? Everything I am reading here and other places says that there is a "pack" that starts south. Have people that solo hiked south have problems meeting up with people?

Peaks
11-07-2005, 09:07
My plan is to begin a thru-hike on the trail in late March/early April heading North. I want to be with other hikers but not necessarily lock myself into anything with a partner. My concern is that I will not have anyone to hike with if I don't plan it ahead of time. Do you suggest finding someone before hand or will plenty of others be looking for someone to hike with around that time? I just want to know that I will not be totally alone. If anyone has any suggestions I would love some advice.

Everyone has their own ideas and routine. I would not stress about trying to find a partner ahead of time. Pre arranged partners seldom work out, for several reasons. As long as you start with others, chances are that you will find someone who shares your goals and hiking style. Go with the flow.

Rowdy Yates
11-07-2005, 09:32
:p I agree with L. WOLF - Don't concentrate on finding a partner but on enjoying YOUR hike. You will soon find yourself with a partner.:banana

Mouse
11-07-2005, 10:26
I am a woman and started north alone. It took all of two days to find a pair of friends. When they both left the trail I found others. There few nights I was totally alone and on those times I was glad for the solitude after so many crowded nights.

One friendship that started within a week of leaving lasted beyond the end of my thruhike.

You will not lack for company, trust me!

jackiebolen
11-07-2005, 12:12
Don't stress about finding a partner. If you want one, you'll find one on the trail.

neo
11-07-2005, 12:17
i love being alone on the trail,if i did not see any body for the whole hike i would really be happy,i hate crowds:cool: neo

swamp dawg
11-07-2005, 13:06
The trail at this time of the year tends to be rather busy so you will not be alone. There are folks you will enjoy hiking with and thoes who will will like to leave behind. Everyone is getting use to the trail and weather conditions so folks tend to move at different speeds. Just get out on the trail, enjoy the hike because it will be the greatest experience of your life and remember it is a hike not a race. Life is good on the trail..... Swamp Dawg

HarleyHogPit
11-07-2005, 17:08
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm gonna go for it and just see how it goes.

Footslogger
11-07-2005, 18:14
Being alone and being lonely are not the same. I met a few hikers in 2003 who were around others and seemed lonely.

Bottom line is that you're never ALONE on the AT unless you want to be. At minimum there are always a few chipmonks to keep you company.

'Slogger

HarleyHogPit
11-07-2005, 18:54
I have not asked anyone I know to do the trail with me because I want it to be my own personal journey but I am excited about the new friends I will meet along the way. I just want to know that there will be other people around me. I will feel more safe knowing that I have other people that know where I am on the trail and where I will be at the end of the day.

HarleyHogPit
11-07-2005, 18:59
Mouse, That is awesome. I can't wait to start the trail. I hope I get as lucky as you.

SalParadise
11-07-2005, 20:48
I've got the scenario for you. It's what always happens. The first one or two nights everyone will group together just because everyone's anxious and excited and because nobody has a clue what they're getting into. You'll go at your own pace, not exactly looking for a partner, and four or five days in you'll realize you've been hiking with one or two of the same guys from the first night. Naturally, you'll end up talking about schedules and miles each day, so if you don't specifically find that person who's looking for a partner, too, you'll at least know where friends are headed that day, and they'll have the same pace you do.

BW2006
12-09-2005, 23:33
I'm also starting alone also right around the same time as you. I'm sure we'll run into each other. I'm so excited to get going. Just starting to plan and it's really psyching me up. See ya on the trail!!!Barbie

RITBlake
12-10-2005, 16:42
Is the same thing true of SOBO if I start in early or mid June? Everything I am reading here and other places says that there is a "pack" that starts south. Have people that solo hiked south have problems meeting up with people?

We met almost 20 sobos and it was great having a small group. I think every sobo but 2 we met made it all the way

johnsupertramp
12-26-2005, 07:00
I'm going SOBO with a hammock, a keg and a box of condoms. why you ask? because i'm gonna do this different. kidding
John

Burn
12-26-2005, 07:18
john, i guess chris was a pretty interesting yet a little out there type o guy. drop the keg carry the rice

Burn
12-26-2005, 07:19
ps he hated rubbertramps

Mags
12-26-2005, 12:25
As others have pointed out, just start alone. You will meet many cool people who fit your pace, hiking style, amount of time you want to spend in town, whatever.

Picking out a partner ahead of time means you are locked into spending time with 24/7. If the partnership does not work out it would not be a good thing.

Having loose partnerships allows you the flexibility of spending time by yourself or with people. Going into town or spending another day on the trail. Doing big miles or taking it easy. You get the idea.

Starting out on the AT (be it SoBo or NoBo) is a bit like the first few days or weeks of college. Everyone sticks together, you are getting use to a new a lifestyle. Instead of asking "what's your major" you compare and contrast gear. Many people partner up at first as the hike is new, and frankly can be a bit "scary" at first for many people.

As the hike goes on, the hiker often gets more comfortable being alone, doing things solo. The hike is not just a scary and exhilirating unknown, it has become a lifestyle.

Enjoy your first long hike. The first step on the AT is often the first step for a new lifestyle, too.

Smile
12-26-2005, 13:59
You'll definately meet lots of folks out there when you start.

I have to disagree that picking a "partner" before you starts locks you into spending time with them - it doesn't if you've been up front with each other. I've hiked with other women several times...we all started out together, and everyone just figured out their own pace, who liked to hang out with who, who talked your ear off and was annoying or bossy, etc. You just need to leave your options open. If you click with someone, great, if not - that should be cool too.
The only way to get "locked in" is if you commit to being by someone's side; make these distinctions first if you plan to meet/start with somebody, that way there is no question about the 'plan' to hike together. Loose is best, you may start out with somebody, and then meet some other very compatible hikers along the way - keep that option open so that you never feel 'guilty' for going off with another person or group.

I think L. Wolf said it best.

Lilred
12-30-2005, 10:53
I have not asked anyone I know to do the trail with me because I want it to be my own personal journey but I am excited about the new friends I will meet along the way. I just want to know that there will be other people around me. I will feel more safe knowing that I have other people that know where I am on the trail and where I will be at the end of the day.

Someone, I forget who, once described the trail during thru hiker season to me like this. It's like being alone in your car on the highway during rush hour. You're alone, but there's people all around you.