PDA

View Full Version : What's in your first aid kit?

adamussg
04-01-2015, 17:38
I'm trying to get an idea of what people are packing as a first aid kit. I leave for Springer Tues and am trying to shave weight anywhere I can!!!

BirdBrain
04-01-2015, 17:57
I barely have any dedicated 1st aid items. I concentrate more on prevention. I use body glide liquifued powder on my feet every morning. I keep my toenails clipped. I carry a small amount of gauze and a tiny amount of neosporin. If it is a big injury, I will tear up clothing, break trekking poles for splints, use duct tape and super glue if needed. At that point it is just a matter of getting off the trail. If my injury is so great that those things won't work, no 1st aid kit is going to save me. My kit used to have all kinds of stuff. No more. Just my take on it. I am not a doctor.

Walkintom
04-01-2015, 18:15
I carry a couple of the flat foil single use ointment packs, a safety pin, a couple of band-aids and an ace bandage. There's about a foot of duct tape on my trekking pole if I need it as well.

Most trail woes are things that prevention is the best method of handling as BirdBrain stated.

I carry a travel size stick of deodorant and use it as antichafe as needed. I have some Dr. Bronner's as well for everything from dishes to personal cleanliness. Prevention beats treatment.

Donde
04-01-2015, 18:16
A little bit of gauze, a tampon, and an ace wrap (ace wraps are good to have for sprains and swelling aswell) to control bleeding. Duct tape (which you should have anyway) and clothing/poles/whatevers on hand for splinting. Antibiotic ointment. a few benadryl caps. a few immodiem caps. 1 cycle of tindazole (for Giardia) any meds you regularly take. Dermabond if you can get, super glue if you can not. Body glide to prevent blisters, benzoin tincture (to go with duct tape) if you got blisters. I also carry one Israeli style bandage, but that is likely overkill.

In my no longer expert formerly medical (NREMT-I and US Army Medic) opinion that is an excellent first aid kit, but be sure not to pack stuff that you do not know how to use, and put some thought into multi-purposing, and bear in mind that you are trying to fix really minor things, anything serious you just need to be able stay alive for 12-24 hrs, to get to definitive care.

4eyedbuzzard
04-01-2015, 19:16
I'm not thru-hiking, but this is what I take on sections, and wouldn't add anything other than as noted for a longer hike:

Leukotape for blisters.
Four bandaids (2 large, 2 small)
Mini superglue or newskin
Tweezers to remove ticks and splinters
Needle to drain blisters
Single edge razor blade
Nail clippers (I don't carry on sections but added here as toenail care is very important)
Two single use ampules Tincture of Benzoin
Two single use packets of Bacitracin
Two Q-tips (single use wrapped)
Two Immodium for diarrhea
Two Benadryl for allergic reaction (stings)
Two Aspirin (in case of heart attack)
Ibuprofen as/if required
The above weighs about 3 - 4 oz. and fits in a small zip lock. Nail clippers are the heaviest part.

Prescription meds as required (make sure to plan on how to refill)
Small amount of duct tape to close large wound (multiuse item outside of first aid kit)

You can't treat serious illnesses nor maintain sterility for wounds in the woods, so anything major you get off the trail and get medical assistance in a town.

Hikes in Rain
04-01-2015, 19:26
I barely have any dedicated 1st aid items. I concentrate more on prevention. I use body glide liquifued powder on my feet every morning. I keep my toenails clipped. I carry a small amount of gauze and a tiny amount of neosporin. If it is a big injury, I will tear up clothing, break trekking poles for splints, use duct tape and super glue if needed. At that point it is just a matter of getting off the trail. If my injury is so great that those things won't work, no 1st aid kit is going to save me. My kit used to have all kinds of stuff. No more. Just my take on it. I am not a doctor.

This! I'm not a doctor, either, but I am a former medical technologist who became an engineer. I just recently got recertificated in CPR and first aid, because no one else on my floor had the background to know what to do in an emergency. I have the skills; I don't really need ALL the stuff to do it. We're hikers. We have what we need to meet emergencies.

12trysomething
04-01-2015, 19:56
I just posted this today, showing mine. I hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/vo_T3FduVUU

squeezebox
04-01-2015, 21:49
Duct tape just doesn't make it as 1st aide tape, causes as many problems or more than it helps. DO NOT use it.
Leukotape for blisters, and holding wounds closed, a few 2x2s wouldn't hurt, much better than bandaides. Are steristrips available over the counter?
Get some triple A ointment. Arguing about 6 vs 20 Ibuprofin isn't being a gram weenie, it's being a micro weenie. Don't bring a 1 day supply of Ibuprofin, imodium, benedryl , You need a 5 day supply, If you get hit by Noro you'll be be glad you brought enough. I just weighed 20 ibuprophrin 0.2 oz
Get real, get a life, Get a real life.

soilman
04-01-2015, 22:08
There is a You Tube video with advice for those attempting a thru hike. The poster recommends next to nothing for first aid, ie. duct tape, super glue, cell phone, and other hikers. He does advise to carry a mirror and scissors so you can trim your mustache.

Tuckahoe
04-01-2015, 22:13
Another WB member posted this earlier --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_T3FduVUU

BirdBrain
04-01-2015, 22:20
Arguing about 6 vs 20 Ibuprofin isn't being a gram weenie, it's being a micro weenie. I just weighed 20 ibuprophrin 0.2 oz

I am a gram weenie and proud of it. However, if we count vitamin-I as a 1st aid item, then my 1st kit weighs about a pound. :D

Tuckahoe
04-01-2015, 22:28
I just posted this today, showing mine. I hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/vo_T3FduVUU

ha ha beat me to it

Personally my first aid kit is merely a few band aids, alcohol wipes, mole skin, a couple ibuprofen and Benadryl, and weighs just 2.5 oz.

BirdBrain
04-01-2015, 22:34
I have never eaten a benadryl. I might be convinced to carry some, but first I would need to know what it is for. If I had it in my kit, I would not know when to use it. Never used mole skin before either. Darn Tough socks and body guide liquefied powder has kept my feet blister free. I lose lots of toenails, but don't get blisters.

Tuckahoe
04-01-2015, 22:51
I carry a couple Benadryl or antihistamine tablets mainly in the spring when I have pollen issues -- thankfully as I have gotten older it's been less of an issue. I haven't had blisters for some time but the mole skin anymore is a just in case to treat a hot spot or a blister.

jwright
04-01-2015, 23:05
hey 4eyes,
I'm curious about the benzoin. Are you using it with the leukotape and bandaids. If so, how does it work with those. I use it a lot wtih steristrips but have never tried it with other adhesives.
Thanks

Slo-go'en
04-01-2015, 23:25
A few band aids, a tube of neosporine and a bottle of New Skin. It seems theses days I also need antihistamines , but I classify that as medicine along with aspirin. In the same vain, a tube of ointment like BioFreeze can be handy in the early stages of the hike to sooth muscle strain. If I need anything more then that, I need an evac.

rickb
04-02-2015, 07:31
We're I putting together a first aid kit for a thru hike (I am not) I would consult the latest information on Lyme Disease and then write down exactly what I would do if I found an embedded tick under various scenarios--ie embedded 24 hours, embedded 24 - 36 hours, rash/no rash, where bit (state), etc.

I would not wait to google up a plan on the trail or ask my hiking buddies for answers. My short plan would be written down -- perhaps even on a laminated card.

I would do this far enough in advance that if I decided for myself ithat carrying a prophylactic course (one or two pills of one particular antibiotic I won't mention here) was right for me, I would have time to get a prescription so that I could have those 1 or 2 pills on me from day one. Time matters. It would suck to conclude taking a single pill after a tick bite is what you wanted to do, but not be able to get one quickly enough to matter. Read up if that is confusing.

I would carry a mirror, and do all of the above in a very dispassionate and clinical way, then move on to other things. I wouldn not worry, I would just be prepared.

Other than that, I would have moleskin (or trendier substitute), a bit of duct tape, and a credit card.

garlic08
04-02-2015, 08:06
Lots of good minimalist kits here. Mine fits in a snack-sized baggie and includes only things I need on a long hike. Of course you won't know that until you go on a long hike and you'll figure it out as you go. Start with common blister care and meds and if, after a month on trail, you don't need them, consider leaving some stuff behind. For instance I have never had joint pain or headache so I no longer carry Vitamin I.

One thing touched upon that needs to be stressed is that the best and biggest kit in the world is useless without training and experience. If you panic at the first sight of a wound or illness, the kit means nothing.

Also, many if not most common pack items can double as first aid items, like your cell phone/SPOT, fresh water, fire starting stuff, bandanna, sewing kit, dental floss, shelter and insulation, foam sleeping pad, tent poles, food hanging rope, knife, alcohol fuel if you carry it, etc.

But nothing substitutes for a cool head.

Christoph
04-02-2015, 08:59
For meds I usually carry some ibuprofen and doans back pain medicine. The rest is minimal like band aids, a few alcohol pads, and generalized stuff mentioned above. I've been in rescue for quite some time and learned less is more (in a way). If you try to plan for everything you'll end up bringing 40 pounds of equipment and meds. Taking a course or two in first aid, CPR, etc will benefit. Of course depending on where you'll be hiking (or whatever you're doing), every situation will be different.

swjohnsey
04-02-2015, 09:28
Duct tape.

BirdBrain
04-02-2015, 10:48
Lyme disease falls into the prevention realm. Soak your clothes in permethrin and inspect daily. I am yet to pull a tick off myself on the AT. I have pulled plenty off myself while not on the trail. I am yet to catch anything. If you get them early, you will be fine.

Donde
04-02-2015, 11:30
hey 4eyes,
I'm curious about the benzoin. Are you using it with the leukotape and bandaids. If so, how does it work with those. I use it a lot wtih steristrips but have never tried it with other adhesives.
Thanks

I use it with duct tape for blisters. Put a needle hole in the blister drain it, clean the area, maybe a dab of neosporin for good measure, then paint it in benzoin and tape it. It is one the few things that will actually stay on instead of coming lose bunching up and becoming a new source of blisters.

Worth noting this is for when you need to ruck up and keep moving, if you can stay at home in flip flops for a few days and baby it, then you shouldn't even pop the blister to begin with.

perdidochas
04-02-2015, 11:40
I have never eaten a benadryl. I might be convinced to carry some, but first I would need to know what it is for. If I had it in my kit, I would not know when to use it. Never used mole skin before either. Darn Tough socks and body guide liquefied powder has kept my feet blister free. I lose lots of toenails, but don't get blisters.

Benadryl is for allergies and a sleep aid.

BirdBrain
04-02-2015, 11:48
Benadryl is for allergies and a sleep aid.

That explains it. I am only allergic to turnip and overtime work and I sleep well on the trail because I am exhausted. I should not joke. I don't have allergies. I do not know what you guys go through. In the interest of full disclosure, I knew about the allergy use but honestly thought it might have many other uses I was unaware of. Sleep aid is one I did not know about. Either way, I don't need it for either ailment. I can understand carrying it if I did.

Donde
04-02-2015, 13:01
That explains it. I am only allergic to turnip and overtime work and I sleep well on the trail because I am exhausted. I should not joke. I don't have allergies. I do not know what you guys go through. In the interest of full disclosure, I knew about the allergy use but honestly thought it might have many other uses I was unaware of. Sleep aid is one I did not know about. Either way, I don't need it for either ailment. I can understand carrying it if I did.

A lot of people with no known allergies will carry a small amount of it. In case they or someone else have an unexpected reaction to something (a sting or whatever). While it will make one drowsy I am with you, hiking is the best backcountry sleep aid.