PDA

View Full Version : garbage bag ground sheet

Mountain Dog
11-06-2005, 23:05
I made a ground sheet out of the new garbage bags that are advertised as being very hard to puncture. I used Duct tape to splice the Pieces ( a bag opened is 30 inches X 60 inches) I have not used it yet, I will this weekend. Anybody have experience with this material?:confused:

Smile
11-06-2005, 23:26
weight????

orangebug
11-07-2005, 08:15
I usse trash compacter bags for a pack liner to keep things dry. I wonder if these will become a more generally available substitute. What is the size of them?

justusryans
11-07-2005, 08:23
I think he's talking about those new Glad Force Flex bags. They are available in 13 and 30 gallon. I use them at home, I hadn't thought of using them as pack liners though. Good idea.

Marta
11-07-2005, 08:25
Glen van Peski uses industrial plastic wrap, which is also seems hard to puncture. The Glad Bags sound a bit easier to get ahold of. Please let us know how it works out.

fiddlehead
11-07-2005, 09:20
Just go pick up a box of garbage bags in the supermarket and you will see that they are very heavy.
Especially compared to Tyvek.
And Tyvek will outlast them by at least 50 times longer.

orangebug
11-07-2005, 10:29
I agree with Tyvek for ground cloths, but for pack liners - plastic rocks.

Mountain Dog
11-07-2005, 10:29
The bags to which I am referring are Glad ForcedFlex 30 gal. garbage bags. They stretch easily and seem almost puncture proof, and that is the way they are advertised. They open to 30 inches X 60 inches and weigh a tad less than 1 ounce. The main weight in my contraption is the Duct tape, and I used more than needed. For example, I do not think it was really needed but I still outlind the sheet with duct tape, thinking it would keep tears from stress on the sides. I used the entire width of the tape. I can gain just as much by using only half its width. A 27 square foot sheet weighs about 6 Ounces. I've read about tyvek but it is expensive and I have yet to find a construction site willing to give me a piece. My main concern with my contraption is how long the material will last before the plastic deteorates. I've used heavy mil plastic with great success. This contraption is much lighter and somewhat different in texture than just light plastic. I'll be out this weekend. It will not be long enough to test my concerns but I'll report back any other problems.

Mountain Dog
11-07-2005, 10:33
By the way, I have used these as both bag liners AND I have put my whole bag in one and hung the bag, doing this to keep the bag dry at night. The bags do seem very hard to tear.

justusryans
11-07-2005, 19:36
[quote=Mountain Dog] I've read about tyvek but it is expensive and I have yet to find a construction site willing to give me a piece.quote]

I'm do a lot of business at new construction sites. I can get Perma-wrap most of the time. It's a house wrap similar to Tyvek. Let me know how much you need. You pay shipping. fair?

Mountain Dog
11-08-2005, 20:56
Thanks for the offer. I've been looking for some Tyvex for about a year. My son in law called this PM and said he saw some being installed about 10 miles from my house. I beat feet immediately and got a 9 X 9 piece. I'd have taken you up on the offer if I had read your post earlier today. Might nice of you to offer to help out another hiker. Thanks again.:banana

justusryans
11-08-2005, 21:45
No problem, it doesn't cost me anything and it goes to someone who truly needs it. What can be better than that?

The Solemates
11-09-2005, 13:42
I made a ground sheet out of the new garbage bags that are advertised as being very hard to puncture. I used Duct tape to splice the Pieces ( a bag opened is 30 inches X 60 inches) I have not used it yet, I will this weekend. Anybody have experience with this material?:confused:

why?!

whats wrong with 3 mil (or so) painter's plastic?

Mountain Dog
11-09-2005, 21:04
Because I am asking about the ForceFlex bags. I am not interested in every possible and individually preferred ground sheet possible. I've tried different types of plastics. These bags are a different type of plastic and I am interested in others experiences. I'm going to play around with the Tyvex. Till then, I am still interested in the experience anyone has had with the stretchable, puncture resistant, garbage bags.

Panzer1
11-10-2005, 00:54
I've read about tyvek but it is expensive and I have yet to find a construction site willing to give me a piece.

EBAY sells "no printing" tyvek $11.00 plus shipping for a 9X5 sheet

Panzer

HikeLite
11-10-2005, 11:08
I am not impressed with the forceflex bags as a pack liner so I certainly wouldn't try using it as a ground sheet. YMMV.

Mountain Dog
11-10-2005, 12:27
Thanks. Can you expound on the problems with the bags as a liner? I used one when I hiked the GSMNP this fall. I did not have problems. However, I might just have been lucky. This issues you had with the bag might help me evaluate the material for a ground sheet.

HikeLite
11-12-2005, 07:35
I actually misstated above. I used one as a pack cover while canoeing and it got holes quickly. It seems so thin even though it will stretch. If you have had luck with them that is great. They are light.

CynJ
11-12-2005, 15:13
are you using the white kitchen style bag or the larger 30gal?

I've used the kitchen ones around the house and just wasn't impressed. Maybe the 30gal are stronger?

Mountain Dog
11-13-2005, 15:05
I'm using the 30 gallon size. I cannot tell that there is any difference in the thickness of the smaller, white, or larger, black, bags so the puncture resistance should be the same. I tried my contraption Friday night. I had a really smooth and cleared site so the puncture resistance is still open. I like the forceflex because it packs to almost nothing and accomplishes all expected of a ground sheet. It is somewhat "clingy" in that it sticks to itself and does not want to spread with just a flip of the material. Its stretchability makes it unlikely to tear easily, even if cut or punctured. The clingability might get better as the material gets more grit and grime. However, I suspect that it will become a problem on long trips if you cannot completely dry the material in between foldings. This "wet" floding issue seems to follow thin plastics. I'll test it in more severe conditions.:confused:

VAMTNHIKER
11-14-2005, 13:45
Last year at Philmont, I used a trash compactor bag slit down each side under a one man Zeos tent... worked great... no holes ...

English Stu
12-09-2005, 07:58
I,ve used the bin liners ,the only issue I have with them is that they are slippery to lay on so a level site is essential,have woken up with my feet nearly outside the tarp tho I do use a pertex bivvy sometimes which compounds the the problem.

Lilred
12-11-2005, 10:20
I've used the kitchen bags. Shoved a box in the bag and it slit right down the side. Piece of junk as far as I'm concerned.

Colter
12-11-2005, 11:08
I know I'm a dirty, rotten commie for even mentioning it, but people use tarps all the time with no floor at all. I personally don't see the need to have two floors with the ground cloth/tent floor.

But that's just me.

HikerHobo
12-11-2005, 15:57
Plain Tyvek with no printing on it.....
Fast service and cheap...

http://www.intothewind.org/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric/Tyvek

Nightwalker
12-12-2005, 01:04
I know I'm a dirty, rotten commie for even mentioning it, but people use tarps all the time with no floor at all. I personally don't see the need to have two floors with the ground cloth/tent floor.

But that's just me.
Welllllll...

My tent bottom is urethane impregnated. I've never used a ground-sheet, as I've seen no need. However, TEHO, ya know?

mochilero
01-24-2006, 21:04
I have used big garbage bags as ground sheets with no problems. I have taped two togther to make a four-ounce bivy sack, and that worked fine too. Unless you are setting it on very wet ground, a few small punctures won't let moisture through anyhow.