PDA

View Full Version : Maine: fitness & fears

illabelle
04-02-2015, 07:49
This August, my husband and I plan to attempt our first section in Maine, 58.6 miles NOBO from Andover (S. Arm) to Stratton. I worry that we won't be prepared for its difficulties. We've completed almost half the trail - so we're not novices - but we have no experience with this area, and its reputation is not taken lightly. I'm looking for encouragement (or discouragement if appropriate), and motivation to stick to our ambitious fitness regime.
I fear falling off cliffs, wild stream crossings, heart-pounding ascents, knee-crunching descents, and being too slow to get over the balds before the afternoon thunderstorm potential increases. I fear my legs turning into bruised noodles, my joints being stressed beyond repair, and creeping home in defeat ... while the trail-hardened thru-hikers blaze past us.
On the other hand, it's just walking, right? How freaking hard can it be? Is it even possible to overestimate Maine's difficulty?
Our tentative plan is to slack 13 miles from S. Arm to ME 17 (Oquossuc), slack another 13 miles from ME 17 to Rangeley, and then backpack the remaining 32 miles to Stratton over 4 days, with an option to bail early at Caribou Valley Road if we run out of time.
Not being familiar with the terrain, is it realistic for middle-aged 30-lb-overweight section hikers (no trail legs) to slack 13 miles in a day?
What are the most challenging parts of this section?
What physical training should we concentrate on: cardio? knee-strengthening? weight-lifting?
I'd especially be interested in photos, videos, or journal excerpts that show the reality of trail conditions we should prepare for.
Thank you!

Rain Man
04-02-2015, 08:15
In my opinion, your proposed itinerary is too optimistic. I've hiked 1,600 miles of the AT, including all of NH and a small portion of southern Maine to Grafton Notch. I average about 15 miles a day on the rest of the AT. I'm happy to hike 6 miles a day there.

Here's a link of the photo album to my last section hike up there, from Mt. Washington to Grafton Notch.
http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/16645802/

Your mileage may vary, of course. I have not yet done the section you propose, so take that into account too.

Don H
04-02-2015, 08:24
If it makes you feel any better, I think the section south was harder. As a thru-hiker I did about 12 miles per day through that area. As a section hiker I'd cut that in half.

I'd be concerned about slacking through there. What happens if you can't make the distance and need to camp? Just a thought.

Make no mistake, this is the toughest hiking on the AT. I don't know how you can prepare for it other than practice hiking the roughest terrain you can find with a full pack on.

tim.hiker
04-02-2015, 08:46
# 2 Nice web page enjoyed the pictures.

tim.hiker
04-02-2015, 08:50
I have found that a stationary bike works really good for the days you don't have time to get out side, I also do some light weight lifting with a lot of reps to strengthen my legs for them hard climbs.

Slo-go'en
04-02-2015, 09:17
Andover north isn't nearly has difficult as Andover south, but it's still a work out. The climb up Old Blue will get your attention. Once you get up and over Old Blue the rest of the ridge isn't too bad. The 700 foot climb back up to RT17 at the end of the day is kind of a kick in the butt.

Day 2 is actually pretty easy, but there are a few stumblely sections which will slow you down a little. I did this section in the rain which was not pleasant, especially when I slipped off a puncheon and landed face first in a mud puddle!

Then Rangely to Saddleback will be a difficult section but your taking your time doing it which is good. There are some really big climbs and descents in that stretch.

How freaking hard can it be? Really, really freaking hard for someone not in tip top shape and not used to these kind of trails. Impossible? No, but it will be a work out you'll not soon forget. You don't say when in August you plan on going. Towards the end of the month would be best. Less chance of T storms and better chance of good views due to cooler temps and cleaner air.

illabelle
04-02-2015, 10:21
Andover north isn't nearly has difficult as Andover south, but it's still a work out. The climb up Old Blue will get your attention. Once you get up and over Old Blue the rest of the ridge isn't too bad. The 700 foot climb back up to RT17 at the end of the day is kind of a kick in the butt.

Day 2 is actually pretty easy, but there are a few stumblely sections which will slow you down a little. I did this section in the rain which was not pleasant, especially when I slipped off a puncheon and landed face first in a mud puddle!

Then Rangely to Saddleback will be a difficult section but your taking your time doing it which is good. There are some really big climbs and descents in that stretch.

How freaking hard can it be? Really, really freaking hard for someone not in tip top shape and not used to these kind of trails. Impossible? No, but it will be a work out you'll not soon forget. You don't say when in August you plan on going. Towards the end of the month would be best. Less chance of T storms and better chance of good views due to cooler temps and cleaner air.

Our trip is currently scheduled in early August. Middle of August has other activities I have to work around, so next opportunity might be end of August, and early September, which actually might be a really good idea, so we could include Labor Day. I'll have to look at that, see if it works.

I appreciate your descriptions of the harder/easier parts of this section. Can't find that level of detail from AWOL's profile map.

Spring is heating up rapidly around here. Last Saturday a late cold front brought snow flurries to my house. Yesterday it was in the upper 70s and I got a sunburn. We have a number of activities intended to get us in shape, from squats to treadmill to greenway to uphill climbs in the Smokies, and the summer heat will be one of several excuses we'll have to battle if we're going to succeed. I may print out some of Rain Man's photos and post them on the wall to remind us what we're facing.

peakbagger
04-02-2015, 10:21
The section is just north of my AT boundary section. I dayhiked south arm to RT 17 several years ago, it was a hot day with a very steep start and steep finish (the last climb from Bemis Stream is psychologically difficult as you know where you are ending but that last climb is a long one). It was a long day but doable. The next days hike from RT 17 to RT 4 (the closest approach to Rangeley) is a reasonable day hike with less elevation. If I had a choice I would do this stretch first to get in shape for the south arm to RT 17 stretch. The stretch from RT 4 to RT 27 (Stratton) is entirely doable in 4 days and the CVR road is a good bail out point except that there may be zero cell coverage and the only traffic on this road is AT hikers (its a long walk to Rt 27). In general cell coverage is poor in the region so be aware that you may not have it at the road crossings.

The major caveat applies is I may be overweight but not out of shape and live in the whites. There really is no comparable terrain on the AT in TN/NC area. The trail is mostly naturally paved with rock and when its not its mud. There are few switchbacks so the elevation gain per mile is far steeper despite the mountains be lower than down south. There are no dangerous cliffs in this section but there can be steep sections of rock that some might want to slide down and the first day north of your backpack is about half the distance in a boulder field at or above treeline.

The key thing is start early in the AM and take advantage of daylight. There can be afternoon thundershowers but they are nowhere near as prevalent as out west or down south. Just be aware that the car shuttles are quite long so factor that in on when you start.

Realistically I expect no matter what sections you do, you will know by the second day of slackpacking how likely the backpack may be and you may need to take a day off and cut back your itinerary. I have backpacked from the Caribou Valley road to just south of RT 4 in two days but don't recommend it. I guess it comes down to, its an aggressive week of hiking for someone out of shape but if you are flexible on your end point its a real nice area to hike in.

illabelle
04-02-2015, 10:40
If it makes you feel any better, I think the section south was harder. As a thru-hiker I did about 12 miles per day through that area. As a section hiker I'd cut that in half.

I'd be concerned about slacking through there. What happens if you can't make the distance and need to camp? Just a thought.

Make no mistake, this is the toughest hiking on the AT. I don't know how you can prepare for it other than practice hiking the roughest terrain you can find with a full pack on.

You make a good point, Don. We've slacked a couple times before, with little more than snacks, water, and a jacket, but it was in much friendlier territory with little risk of getting in trouble. If we slack in Maine, we will carry shelter. What we might consider is slacking ME 17 to Rangeley first (since Slo-go-en says it's easier). If we manage that okay, we could do the S Arm to ME 17 slack a different day, perhaps even after reaching Stratton. If the first slack is too hard, we'll know not to attempt the second.

Area hostels offer slackpacking support, so I figure somebody must be slacking through there. Maybe it's only the thru-hikers and sectioners in top shape.

BirdBrain
04-02-2015, 10:42
I agree with Slo-go'en. Good breakdown. For perspective, I did 27 to 26 in 9 days and on a leg that was killing me (so think starting up North Crocker carrying 9 days of food). I hit every vista and 4000' hill along the way except Redington which I regret not doing). My stops were as follows.

Day 1) 27 to Crocker Cirque
Day 2) Crocker Cirque to Spaulding Lean-to while taking in Sugarloaf and Spaulding
Day 3) Spaulding to Poplar Ridge while taking in Abraham
Day 4) Poplar to Piazza Rock
Day 5) Piazza Rock to Sabbath Day Pond
Day 6) Sabbath Day to Bemis Mtn Lean-to
Day 7) Bemis Mtn to Hall Mtn Lean-to (in my opinion the toughest day I have faced on the AT down to Norwich, VT)
Day 8) Hall to Fry Notch Lean-to
Day 9) Fry Notch to 26

You can do it. Your 1st day will likely be your toughest.

putts
04-02-2015, 12:44
I'd say prepare yourself for a wonderful trip that you are going to love. I know it's easy to psych yourself out with worries, but in all honesty, based only on your info from this thread, I think chances are very slim that you will leave hanging your head in defeat. Your legs may feel like noodles on the climbs, and you will definitely get passed by quicker hikers, but when you get to the summits and viewpoints, and smell that piney fresh air- you will gain something back that will fuel you.

Pedaling Fool
04-02-2015, 13:09
Personally, I don't like the idea of physically preparing for a hike, or any type of activity, simply because it doesn't set the correct mindset of seeking true health --- and that's why there are so many fat and out of shape former thru-hikers. The good thing is that you have a fair share of time before your start, but if you start today, you won't be in top shape by your departure time, that can take years to attain, but don't worry, you'll be much better off than if you don't do anything and your hike can just be a part of your fitness/health for life plan -- a new way of living.

I think too many people focus too much on cardio fitness when thinking of exercise, including those that want to prepare for a hike on the AT. Weight lifting is far more important, especially for older people, because if you injure any connective tissue, healing can take years, literally, and it can easily end your hike. There are three basic categories of weight training: Endurance, Strength and Power. For true health (especially as you age and to prevent injuries, i.e. like in a fall...) you need to work in all three categories, but endurance training should always be developed first, because you want to develop a foundation, in other words toughen up your connective tissues/joint, before lifting heavier weights or lifting them using powerful movements. http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/power-training.html

For cardio, weight training is also good, especially the endurance training. However, I would recommend running also for your preparations (not only for this upcoming hike, but for all future hikes). Not only can it enhance your cardio training, but running develops the skeletal system for the pounding. Don't fall for the crap that running is bad because of the jarring effects on the body, that's just not true. And if you think about it, hiking is not exactly a low-impact activity, especially since you're carrying extra weight and going down hill – that's a lot of impact and weight training and running (starting out sensibly) will get you ready more than anything else.

Here's a good article on Weight training and why it's so important http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie-20120504

Excerpt:

“Muscle withers away if you're not constantly building it, and muscle withers faster as a man ages. Fading muscle mass gives way to fat gain, stiff joints, stumbling-old-man balance, and a serious drop-off in weekend fun, not to mention self-esteem. But if you fight back right, it can all go the other way. And this means getting strong. The bottom line is that not only can lifting weights do as much for your heart health as cardio workouts, but it also provides you with a lean-muscle coat of armor against life's inevitable blows – the way it did for my own father, who broke his back in a climbing accident at age 69, spent months in bed, and recovered strong only because he'd been lifting for 35 years.”

Here's a reason not to be afraid of running or other “high-impact” activities http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/ask-well-is-jogging-bad-for-older-people/?ref=running&_r=2

Excerpt:

Actually, much of the recent science about high-impact exercise by “older people” like me — I prefer the term “seasoned,” by the way — reaches the opposite conclusion, suggesting that in many cases high-impact exercise can be beneficial for those middle aged and beyond. A seminal 2003 study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12974656) of people aged 30 to past 70, for instance, found that while sedentary adults lost about 10 percent of their maximal endurance capacity every decade, young and middle-aged athletes who regularly engaged in intense and high-impact exercise, such as running intervals, experienced a much slower decline, losing only about 5 percent of their capacity per decade until age 70, when the loss of capacity accelerated for everyone.

There is also little evidence to support the widespread belief that high-impact exercise speeds the onset of arthritis. In a 2013 study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837), adult runners, including many aged 45 or older, had a lower incidence of knee osteoarthritis and hip replacement than age-matched walkers, with the adults who accumulated the most mileage over the course of seven years having the lowest risk, possibly, the study’s author speculated, because running improved the health of joint cartilage and kept them lean as they aged. Similarly, a 2006 review of studies (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540) about jogging and joints concluded that “long-distance running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis of the knees and hips for healthy people who have no other counter-indications for this kind of physical activity,” and “might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration.”

illabelle
04-02-2015, 13:26
I'd say prepare yourself for a wonderful trip that you are going to love. I know it's easy to psych yourself out with worries, but in all honesty, based only on your info from this thread, I think chances are very slim that you will leave hanging your head in defeat. Your legs may feel like noodles on the climbs, and you will definitely get passed by quicker hikers, but when you get to the summits and viewpoints, and smell that piney fresh air- you will gain something back that will fuel you.

Your post reminds me of our October hike through southern Vermont. I remember sweating on uphills, and then reaching that point in elevation when we step into the chill of the spruce. Aaaah, that was nice!

q-tip
04-02-2015, 13:33
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21404&uid=20935&d=1374841887

This is the best training regimen I have found. Used it for alpine climbing in Switzerland and mountain trekking in India. My first day hiking in NH was 12 miles, but 6,500 calories. I am big on training and weightnloss before any big climbs.

illabelle
04-02-2015, 13:48
Part of what I'm trying to address with this thread is that my husband doesn't seem to be worried about Maine at all. He just figures we'll tough it out or something. He's pretty resistant to me trying to cut down his calorie intake - and I have my own issues curbing my appetite as well. And of course, his attitude affects mine and vice versa. I thought maybe some images illustrating things like, "OMG - that's steep!" or "seriously? THAT's the trail?" would help to enlighten and enliven us. Googling those phrases gets a wide variety of non-AT non-hiking pictures that don't work to motivate us.

illabelle
04-02-2015, 13:48
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21404&uid=20935&d=1374841887

This is the best training regimen I have found. Used it for alpine climbing in Switzerland and mountain trekking in India. My first day hiking in NH was 12 miles, but 6,500 calories. I am big on training and weightnloss before any big climbs.

Missing link perhaps?

earlyriser26
04-02-2015, 15:34
I hiked most of Maine when I was between 15 and 20. It kicked my rear end then. Out of shape and Maine don't really go together. I have done 26 mile days in Virginia that were easier than some of he 8 mile days in Maine. If you slack pack some of it, make sure you have a 6 or 7 mile exit strategy every day.

Pedaling Fool
04-02-2015, 19:38
Part of what I'm trying to address with this thread is that my husband doesn't seem to be worried about Maine at all. He just figures we'll tough it out or something. He's pretty resistant to me trying to cut down his calorie intake - and I have my own issues curbing my appetite as well. And of course, his attitude affects mine and vice versa. I thought maybe some images illustrating things like, "OMG - that's steep!" or "seriously? THAT's the trail?" would help to enlighten and enliven us. Googling those phrases gets a wide variety of non-AT non-hiking pictures that don't work to motivate us.
Getting old is tougher than Maine, that's why you just need to start working out now and make it a part of your lifestyle. Just look around you and look at how decrepit most old people are; sadly many of these walking dead are not that old.

rdljr
04-02-2015, 20:05
I was old out of shape when I did that section, for that fact I am still old and more out of shape now. I did Birdbrains trip backwards starting at day 6 to day 1. Hiking in my normal fashon of starting early and ending after 17:00 the only day that was tough was Piazza rock to Popular as it was cold, very wet,windy all day and some of the open rock faces were very slippery. (sacrificed a hiking pole to save my head and it was worth every penny I paid for that pole). I had a 60+ year old hiking partner that bailed out just before piazza rock as it was not fun and the planned pace was above her comfort speed. It is not a place to overestimate your hiking speeds but it does have nice rewards for the work you put in.

Thorfinn
04-02-2015, 20:13
I day hiked this entire section last year. It's not quite the Whites, but very tough. I found some of the downs more difficult and scarier than the ups. I think the scariest down was going off the back of Sugarloaf to the Carrabassett River. You might also consider it as day hikes. That way, if you are tired or hit a day of heavy rain, you can take the day off. The people at Pine Ellis Lodge in Andover know the trail very well and do reasonable shuttles. I recommend the Farmhouse Inn in Rangeley. Shane can get you in near Perham Stream between Poplar Ridge and Spaulding so you can break up that long section as day hikes. Oh, there are a couple of fords you would not want to do after a day of thunder storms, i.e. Orberton Stream and the east branch of the Carrabassett. Phil Pepin told me he considers these as two of the three most dangerous fords in Maine. Don't let that deter you. Just be aware. Shane could advise you. Good luck.

SouthMark
04-02-2015, 20:29
My introduction to the AT in Maine was the section from Stratton to ME 17 in June. I was 62 and had planned to do it in five days. I was not ready for Maine. Seven days later I had made it to ME 4 just outside Rangely. That did include zero at Poplar Ridge Lean-to to dry out and rest. From then on I trained for my Maine sections.

Migrating Bird
04-02-2015, 20:52
For what it's worth, I loved hiking ME. I'm not the strongest hiker. I went SOBO from Katahdin. I remember coming off Old Blue on a hot, very hazy, late June afternoon. Halfway down, I was cruising through the beautiful hardwoods, on the mild decent. Then I noticed the beautiful lake through the trees and remember thinking that I must be almost to the road. It wasn't a lake, it was the blue haze across the valley. The bottom fell out of the trail, it was that steep. When I did get to the road, I thought about what a climb it would be NOBO. I would think in terms of a absolute max of 1 mile per hour on the climbs. They are tough, you will use your hands as much as your feet. The climbs of the Whites don't stop at the NH/ME border. All the work, sweat, and thinking your heart is going to break out of your chest is worth it. Just remember these mountains don't go up forever, the views are so stunning and worth it. When on top, just look for the tallest summits in the general direction your headed, that is where the trail goes. The descents are tough as well, trekking poles help until you get to a ledge then just throw them to the bottom, face the ledge and use all fours or in some cases butt slide. As mentioned above there aren't any switchbacks, up is straight up and down is straight down. You'll do fine, just have a back up plan. I strongly suggest that you carry enough food, clothing, shelter to be comfortable in case you need to spend the night should the need arise. You should carry a good map set and compass. The nights at the end of August can dip into the 30's even the high 20's with frost. T-storms are much less frequent then earlier in the summer. You will see some early fall colors as well. As I recall, cell reception with Verizon was OK from the summits only, for example, I called David from Pine Ellis, from the top of Old Blue for example. Just take it slow, it isn't a race and enjoy, it will be the hike of a lifetime.

egilbe
04-02-2015, 21:41
That section of the trail is what I trained on when doing my first Katahdin Summit. Its a beautiful, if rugged section to hike. http://www.snailsontrails.com/uploads/4/4/8/8/44882405/6077825_orig.jpg

This isn't too far past Piazza Rock heading nobo up Saddleback. Most of the trail is fairly similar. Peakbagging Saddleback and the Horn was the longest day hike my GF and I ever had. We finished back at RT4 in the dark. A month later we did Katahdin and it felt about the same. Most of the AT through hikers we met on the trail flew by us. Its how we got the name for our website www.snailsontrails.com Its a work in progress. Enjoy the hike.

Rain Man
04-03-2015, 09:39
# 2 Nice web page enjoyed the pictures.

Glad you liked 'em! I liked being there ... much of the time. LOL

MamaBear
04-03-2015, 10:26
Maine is rugged, yet beautiful! I hike the Whites regularly, year round, and thought that section of Maine was on par with what we have here and the northern section of the Long Trail in VT. At least that's my son and I thought when we sectioned from Gorham through the Bigelows last year. Trips reports are on www.nh48.wordpress.com (http://www.nh48.wordpress.com), should have "Finishing the NE 67" in the titles for those. Just scroll down through the pictures, should be 4 or 5 rows down to those posts.

I think you've got a good approach with some slacking in there, and are right not to underestimate Maine. Whatever you do, take your time and enjoy it! Maine will be there again for your next section if you don't get everything done that you'd like to this year.

A big +1 for Shane and Stacey at The Farmhouse in Rangeley. We stayed there three nights last year and they're excellent and he's knowledgeable about shuttling.

illabelle
04-03-2015, 11:13
Excellent information and images coming in, thank you all! This morning I spoke with Stacy at the Farmhouse Inn (very helpful and encouraging!), and will speak with Shane later to get needed details. Whether we slack or not, I definitely want to know the bailout options in case we need them. After that discussion, I'll alter our itinerary. Looks like we will push this trip a little later to late August/early September. A little cooler, fewer bugs.

We will make several more trips to Maine (and New Hampshire) in the next few years. This year's trip will give us the firsthand experience that will pave the way for success at Katahdin, Mahoosuc Notch, and elsewhere.

A special thanks to Pedaling Fool for his counsel and links. Focusing on building whole-body strength makes a great deal of sense - I'll be printing that article and sharing it in small pieces with my husband. I think he'll like it! :) And we'll get started putting it into practice as well. It really is sad to look at people near my age and older who have resigned themselves to the "inevitable" disabilities of aging. Aging is inevitable, but becoming immobile is most assuredly not!

Looking forward to a strenuous uphill hike tomorrow afternoon.

peakbagger
04-03-2015, 13:19
An emergency bail out option that may not have been mentioned is the old railroad grade along Orbeton Stream in the low spot between Poplar Ridge Shelter and Spaulding. If its followed south it brings you to East Madrid. This area got a lot of publicity during the lost hiker S&R last year. This is not an area with a lot of population but a heck of a lot more than heading north into the Caribou Valley or the Redington Pond valley. There is very little or no cell coverage unless you are up high.

q-tip
04-03-2015, 14:42
http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Training-Performance-Mountaineers-Outdoor/dp/1594850984

link for training book!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cQlXAjbGL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
://htlimnk tp://www.mazon.com/Climbing-Training-Performance-Mountaineers-Oulldoor/dp/1594850984.google.com/books/about/Climbing.html?/books.google.com/books/about/Climbing.html?id=tcYwDoJzxFwC

MamaBear
04-04-2015, 14:12
An emergency bail out option that may not have been mentioned is the old railroad grade along Orbeton Stream in the low spot between Poplar Ridge Shelter and Spaulding. If its followed south it brings you to East Madrid. This area got a lot of publicity during the lost hiker S&R last year. This is not an area with a lot of population but a heck of a lot more than heading north into the Caribou Valley or the Redington Pond valley. There is very little or no cell coverage unless you are up high.

Shane at the Farmhouse knows where this is. We were dropped off twice there, once for a slackpack south and the next morning to continue on northward. I know he's also picked up a hiker there who needed medical attention and it was the easiest way off the trail. Excellent bail point and easy walking on a nice grade to get out if need be.

egilbe
04-04-2015, 16:33
Shane at the Farmhouse knows where this is. We were dropped off twice there, once for a slackpack south and the next morning to continue on northward. I know he's also picked up a hiker there who needed medical attention and it was the easiest way off the trail. Excellent bail point and easy walking on a nice grade to get out if need be.

At least on the weekends, there are a lot of cars parked on Caribou Pond road if you walk down the road a bit. The most difficult part is either coming down Sugarloaf or South Crocker Mountain. Both are pretty steep trails. I still need to climb Reddington.

peakbagger
04-04-2015, 18:43
I agree the hike down off Sugarloaf Cirque has some interesting spots. The stream crossing at the base with the plank is also interesting.

brian039
04-04-2015, 19:19
Tough trail through there. To make miles, I really try to get into a good rhythm and charge up the climbs because the downhills will really slow you down. If you aren't making good time uphill, 7-8 miles is about all you're going to get in a day.

HighLiner
04-04-2015, 21:39
I hiked from Kinsman Notch to Monson two years ago. I did the 275 miles in 21 days, or 13 per day. Maine was hard but to be honest the Whites were the worse. What a trip, best ever.

brian039
04-04-2015, 23:03
I hiked from Kinsman Notch to Monson two years ago. I did the 275 miles in 21 days, or 13 per day. Maine was hard but to be honest the Whites were the worse. What a trip, best ever.

The Whites are tougher all things being equal. But when it is wet the Maine slate is much less grippy than the White Mountain Granite.

HighLiner
04-05-2015, 01:39
Good point. I wish Whiteblaze had a like check box like Facebook does. I would give you a "like".

BirdBrain
04-05-2015, 09:17

The discussion of which is tougher will rage on. I suspect it is more one of pride than reality. Those that have hiked both states like to tell battle stories and conquests. Along the way, "this was toughest" stories emerge. I felt my Bemis to Hall day was my most exhausting and my walk over the Crockers was the most painful. It is all relative. Distance was a factor on the former and carrying 9 days of food was a factor on the latter. The elevation profiles of NH scared the crap out of me. Therefore, I did NH by notches and travelled with enough food to get to the next notch. I took in as many 4000' hills as I could along the way (12 in the Pemi's). I found most of what I was afraid of to be exaggerated (with the exception of Wildcat E). The climbs are often steeper, but the footing is often better. After the Pemi's I went back to my usual plan (carry enough food to avoid towns and do the side trails to the vistas). I started at Canon and headed for VT.

What is my point? If you have done NH and the Mahoosucs, you are ready for Maine. Don't let people scare you. Those that are making which is harder comparisons, are smiling as they do so. Well... most of them.

egilbe
04-05-2015, 09:32
I agree the hike down off Sugarloaf Cirque has some interesting spots. The stream crossing at the base with the plank is also interesting.

I almost walked down a rockslide because I thought it was the trail. My GF asked me "What are you doing?"
"I'm climbing down the trail"
"Thats not the trail. There's the blaze"
I looked behind me and there was the blaze shaped like a right angle pointing off to the right. I can see how maybe Geraldine Largo disappeared in that area.

twilight
04-05-2015, 10:02
I'm glad Illabelle posted this thread because this has been in the back of my mind for awhile. I'm not as young as I used to be and my 50 year old body is breaking down (tough paper route). Last year I completed everything south of Undermountain Trail in CT to Springer. Over 10 plus years of section hikes. The plan for the north end is to do things in 50 mile or so section hikes for the next few years. ME and NH have been a big concern.

Twilight

BirdBrain
04-05-2015, 10:53
There is always something "tougher". Before I did Maine, I was told that it was the toughest. Then I was told NH was the toughest. Both are done. Now I hear that the north end of the Long Trail is the toughest. I suppose the Smokies will be the next walk that is the toughest. I will just say that I think Maine is the prettiest. Let's start that debate. ;)

MamaBear
04-05-2015, 12:11
I will just say that I think Maine is the prettiest. Let's start that debate. ;)

Hard to argue that. Maine really is beautiful!

illabelle
04-05-2015, 12:11
I'm glad Illabelle posted this thread because this has been in the back of my mind for awhile. I'm not as young as I used to be and my 50 year old body is breaking down (tough paper route). Last year I completed everything south of Undermountain Trail in CT to Springer. Over 10 plus years of section hikes. The plan for the north end is to do things in 50 mile or so section hikes for the next few years. ME and NH have been a big concern.

Twilight

Twilight, unless you're set on doing the trail "in order", you might consider tackling that tough stuff sooner rather than later. To my knowledge, there are none of us getting any younger - certainly not me. ;) The elevation profiles of some of those hills are truly frightening, and I can picture myself cartwheeling off the slope and landing in a broken heap. Of course, that's the vertical exaggeration of the profile playing tricks on my mind!

The only piece of NH/ME we've seen is the 6.1 miles we did near Mt Washington a few years ago. We took a shuttle to the summit and walked down (how hard can it be? it's down!) to the Mizpah Hut. After a few hours, my legs were trembling and my knees were buckling from stepping down 12"-18" over and over. My husband (bless his heart) carried both our backs the final quarter-mile, and I was still out of breath! We took a side trail the next morning and spent the rest of our "vacation" recuperating in the low country.

So now I'm 20 pounds lighter, about 800 miles more experienced, and still scared. But this time, we're not going up there blind and unprepared. Maine will find us lean, hardened, skilled, and wiser - or at least that's "the plan." :D

illabelle
04-05-2015, 12:19
Hard to argue that. Maine really is beautiful!

Can't wait to see it!
But does it have rhododendron in bloom covering the bald peaks?
Tennessee is beautiful too!

putts
04-05-2015, 13:29
Can't wait to see it!
But does it have rhododendron in bloom covering the bald peaks?

...Just wild blueberries

N.C/TN and Maine are both my favorites. Apples and oranges are my favorite too....and blueberries.

egilbe
04-05-2015, 15:45
I was telling my GF about this thread, and we were talking about Mahoosuc Notch. Somehow we have now this plan to go from Grafton's Notch, to NH and then back again. Should be fun!

BirdBrain
04-05-2015, 16:05
Stealth at Dream Lake. Beautiful sunset view of the Whites. Was all alone the time I was there. Use earplugs. The traffic to the pond will keep you awake.

Del Q
04-05-2015, 17:29
My $.04

Am planning on completing the AT this year. Have hiked from GA to Franconia.

Actually just looked at the profile maps a few hours ago, the White's look tough, Maine is at like 1000' and seemingly really level compared to most of the AT

I am NOT questioning this thread or the wisdom extended, that said, what am I missing here?

egilbe
04-05-2015, 17:47
My $.04

Actually just looked at the profile maps a few hours ago, the White's look tough, Maine is at like 1000' and seemingly really level compared to most of the AT

I am NOT questioning this thread or the wisdom extended, that said, what am I missing here?

Not sure what you are missing. Guthook did a profile elevation and its something like 20 of the 30 steepest mile length sections of the trail are in Maine and NH. The single largest elevation gain is Mt Katahdin at 4188 feet. The trails are rocky, wet and full of roots. The trails down south are veritable turnpikes in comparison.

BirdBrain
04-05-2015, 17:48
My $.04

Footing and PUDS cannot be seen on an elevation profile. NH has greater continuous climbs and descents. However, the footing is better on much of it. Maine can have you lugging more food because of resupply issues. I would not say one is tougher than the other. They both have their challenges.

egilbe
04-05-2015, 17:54
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/54822-Steepest-part-of-the-AT

fredmugs
04-06-2015, 07:19
My $.04Am planning on completing the AT this year. Have hiked from GA to Franconia. Actually just looked at the profile maps a few hours ago, the White's look tough, Maine is at like 1000' and seemingly really level compared to most of the ATI am NOT questioning this thread or the wisdom extended, that said, what am I missing here?Rocks. Roots the size of baseball bats. If it's wet the flat parts can be a bog you have to walk around. Before my first hike in Maine I read the journal of a thru hiker and she said plan on 75% of what you could normally do. I didn't believe her but I do now. For the OP I would not even consider more than 75% of your capability on the hardest section you have hiked to date.