PDA

View Full Version : Mt. San Gorgonio in Mid May

Studlintsean
04-02-2015, 09:13
Can anyone provide any insight on hiking Mt. San Gorgonio in Mid May? I will be in San Diego for work and if the fiance the does tag along, I'd like to do an overnight hike in the area. My plan would be to take the South Lake Trail and do the trip as an overnighter. I am still researching and have found some good information regarding maps, water conditions, etc. but I am curious if this hike is doable this time of year. I am hoping I can get a local buddy of mine to come along or I will rent the car for an extra day. If someone has any other recommendations for a quick overnight hike in this area, I would be in interested in hearing them.

Thank you in advance.

Sean

hlynn117
04-02-2015, 20:41
I tried this exact thing last year when I was in San Diego! I got a thunder/snow storm (feet of snow in just 2 hours) dumped on me. There was only a 20% chance of rain...but that's mountains. Talked to a local guy on the trail, and he said it was wacky weather. Anyway, you'll need 2 types of passes: adventure passes for your car (which you can buy at grocery stores and gas stations) and the actual wilderness permits. It's a doable hike, but just be aware that your could have wacky weather.

Miner
04-02-2015, 21:29
May is usually ok with some snow remaining at the top and north slopes. That said, it shouldn't be a problem this year. However, don't underestimate the effects of high elevation. The San Gorgonio Wilderness Assoc website has some good info.

Alternatives would be San Jacinto Wilderness and state park.

Studlintsean
04-03-2015, 08:54
Thanks Miner and hlynn. Miner- I know you have quite a bit of experience with west coast hiking so I'd like to hear your opinion about the elevation. If all the cards fall into place, my plan is to leave SD early Friday morning and hike the South Fork Trail to Dry lake (roughly 9000ft) to camp for the night. I don't have the info available right now but if I remember correct, that is about 6 miles from the trail head which should give me all afternoon to acclimate. Altitude can effect everyone differently but from your experience, do you think this will help with the high elevation at the summit? I'll be coming from Northern VA and have never hiked higher than ~ 6000 ft. Do you know what the average temps would be? I'm curious if I should plan to bring winter gear (20 deg WM bag) or spring/ summer / fall (40 deg EE quilt)? I will of course watch the weather before I fly out to SD and pack accordingly. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Miner
04-03-2015, 11:00
The hike to Dry Lake is pretty easy with a nice grade. Its the hiking above that that gives people problems. Getting to the saddle at 10,000ft is where people start to drag and the switchbacks up to the peak does them in. The trail isn't steep the way you are going, just get an early start and take a slow pace and hope the headache won't be too bad near the top. Expect to hike through some snow banks. There will likely be bootprints already in the snow to walk in. I normally don't have any issues but I hike in the off season in the mountains at 5000-6000ft which helps me overcome my sea level home.

Studlintsean
04-03-2015, 11:18
Thanks Miner

Miner
04-06-2015, 16:08
Sorry, missed your question about temps. I'd take a 30deg bag (or the 20 if that's the only choice over the 40). I never use my 40f quilt in higher elevations, even in July because at best, its barely warm enough, and at the worst, way too cold.
Temps can vary, it may be a high in the upper 50s to almost 70f at Dry Lake. Colder on the peak. You often can feel a good wind chill on the peak.

Studlintsean
04-06-2015, 16:14
Sorry, missed your question about temps. I'd take a 30deg bag (or the 20 if that's the only choice over the 40). I never use my 40f quilt in higher elevations, even in July because at best, its barely warm enough, and at the worst, way too cold.
Temps can vary, it may be a high in the 50s or 60s at Dry Lake and colder up higher unless a heat wave hits that week which could add 10f.

Thanks Miner. I was leaning towards the 20 deg bag. I am really hoping this trip works out but still waiting for Uncle Sam to give the go ahead to book travel.