PDA

View Full Version : tuscarora trail

Dirtyoldman
01-19-2003, 07:18
(just to bring everyone to the same page this 250 mile trail was built as an alternate route for the at and runs from va to pa.)

questions,queries and posers:
is this trail really a part of the AT, even if only unoffically and would it be appropriate to address it here perhaps with its own forum (blue blazes?) ?

Are there other alternate routes availible?

Minerva
01-19-2003, 08:45
Even though both termini are on the AT, the TT is NOT the AT. Have you considered hiking the Tuscalappchia loop?

Cin TT 01

Dirtyoldman
01-19-2003, 10:02
Im considering it but so far I havent seen very much info on it.

Forrest Phil
01-19-2003, 19:22
Dirty old man,

What would you like to know about the Tuscarora? The trail crew I work with has been building relos for quite some time now. The Tuscarora is alot like what I imagine the AT used to be like. Most of it goes through real rural areas. There are very few shelters, a good bit of road walks, and some fairly rough tread in areas. It is not well used, but a nice alternate route.

MedicineMan
01-19-2003, 23:40
I've always thought that the tuscarora trail should be a viable alternative to the official AT in an effort to lessen the impact growing numbers of hikers are having on the AT....and in fact that more trails like the tuscarora trail be created for this reason...the tuscarora trail could easily have been the 'official' route. I truly believe that either route should count for the 2000 miler status so enamored by many....think to the future when its not 3000 why try but 12-15000....think about alternate but accepted routes and how that would help save the AT....this mentality is especially true in the GSMNP where 900 miles of trails exist-a place where it would be easy to have alternate routes to the AT-some of course would be longer than the official route but think of the decrease in shelter crowding if nothing else before making your decision...the possibilities are there too in SNP and in various places where individual states are creating and maintaining trails

Dirtyoldman
01-23-2003, 04:48
do you know if the guide book being kept up or is it hopelessly out of date?

Forrest Phil
01-23-2003, 13:34
The most recent guide was updated in 1997. Yes, it is out of date. There is an update in the works. I believe it is due to be published in about a year. I know that some revisions have been documented somewhere. I will check into it and let you know what I find.