PDA

View Full Version : Photo's of 06 thru hikers

justusryans
11-07-2005, 09:15
Thought it might be cool if we all posted a photo of each of us. Maybe we'll recognise each other on the trail. See ya on Springer!!

Hey Sarge, do we have enough bandwith for this?

Rowdy Yates
11-07-2005, 09:26
I clicked on your link listed in the message but there was no site to visit. Apparently your link is incorrect.

justusryans
11-07-2005, 09:29
i just deleted it until I get a ok from Sarge Rock. Don't want to hog the bandwidth

Alligator
11-07-2005, 10:39
Post the pictures in the gallery. The pics are hiking related. Maybe admin will create a new category.

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 11:12
One solution is if you post your photo to your own site and then place a link here, it doesn't affect our bandwidth. Example: This file
http://www.hikinghq.net/images/rock.gif

resides on my site server, so when ever you see it here, the bandwidth is counted against my other server, not the Whiteblaze.

Another solution is to just put a link to the pic that resides in the photo section so that a person can go there if they want to see what someone looks like without having to load all the pics: http://www.hikinghq.net/images/ozarks/IMG03_small1.JPG

Alligator
11-07-2005, 12:25
There are two categories in the gallery devoted to Faces. Seems like a very appropriate (and popular) place to put hiker photos, rather than linking outside the site.

soulrebel
11-07-2005, 17:48
Here I am trying out my UL raingear--Janet Jackson ain't got nuthin on me!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2005, 18:33
I'm not from the class of 2006, but was drawn here by the hawt pic of soulrebel :D

I use a free service to host my photos for sites with limited bandwidth - http://www.photobucket.com/ This might work for those wishing to share photos.

justusryans
11-07-2005, 20:14
Ok, here's Caitlin and Laura

www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9248&c=663 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9248&c=663)

And Me.

www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9247c=663 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9247c=663)

pretty huh :eek:

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2005, 20:26
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I hope folks use some prudence and common sense with their photos.....there have been several cases of hikers whose photos and/journals were posted on the Internet and they received unwanted attention from strangers during their hikes; a few hikers have reported being cyber-stalked by someone who either liked what they read or what they saw on the Internet.

Of course, if you're really ugly, you can probably did-regard this.

justusryans
11-07-2005, 20:45
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I hope folks use some prudence and common sense with their photos.....there have been several cases of hikers whose photos and/journals were posted on the Internet and they received unwanted attention from strangers during their hikes; a few hikers have reported being cyber-stalked by someone who either liked what they read or what they saw on the Internet.

I'm really ugly...:eek:

Smile
11-08-2005, 00:14
Good advice Jack

justusryans
11-08-2005, 04:29
Life is too short to be afraid of every damn thing. You take reasonable precautions and deal whith what comes. I'm not going thru life worrying about what if's. Of course I'm crazy so... :D

attroll
11-08-2005, 04:44
Another soluction of where to post a photo of yourself is to put one in your profile picture.

justusryans
11-08-2005, 04:57
Another soluction of where to post a photo of yourself is to put one in your profile picture.

If it's not such a good idea maybe we should delete this thread

attroll
11-08-2005, 05:46
If it's not such a good idea maybe we should delete this thread

I never said it was not a good idea. So I don't know why yopu quoted me in the previous post.

justusryans
11-08-2005, 09:36
Was making a suggestion, seems I've recieved more negetive comments than positive.
Still think it's a good idea though :D
I'll leave it up to you

Burn
11-08-2005, 10:14
cause it is true...i got cyber staulked and the only one who came to see me was Skeemer. actually, loads of people you have never met will know who you are when you walk out of the woods, if you post at trailjournals or wb. sometimes it wouldn't matter, cause yer buddy 3 miles ahead told the trail angel, don't miss sour bucket, he is right behind me with the blue overalls. it can be disconcerting, i am sure more for girls than guys...but it's odd at times...i talked with jan liteshoe about it, she said, burn yer a nobody, forget about it. lol oh, also, that nice guy you met at woody gap and took yer pic...he posted it at white blaze with yer trail name, so even if you don't post, you're more likely to make a photo appearence than you think.

Turtle2
11-08-2005, 16:38
I had my picture on a work related website and was surprised to get a letter from an inmate in the Indiana correctional system. Believe me, there was (is) nothing special or particularly cute about the picture. He later called collect. (Call refused) No big deal but a real surprise. Figured he wasn't coming to visit he was just trying to pull a scam.

Pictures are ok. No problem as a rule. Don't worry, be happy, have fun.

Blister
11-08-2005, 17:34
In 2000 when I hiked I was a featured corespondent for a local sports magazine during my AT hike. Just like many other columns my picture was posted with my biline. Upon returning from my adventure there was one individual who was hunting me down at my places of employment and then finally found my home. It was a little scary, but I only blame myself - if you put yourself out there, just know how to deal with the outcomes. With the internet these days people can find you easily.

:dance :dance :dance

beans
11-09-2005, 18:53

I'll see ya in the spring
Beans

FiveWay
01-06-2006, 16:26
I liked the picture idea but some good points about people stalking...I'am really good looking....not. Maybe it would be a better idea to write a brief description of ourselves, like two sentences and then see the result on the trail. I bet some people would have a very hard time giving someone an "accurate" description. FiveWay

FiveWay
01-06-2006, 16:27
Beans, When you starting? FiveWay

wyclif
01-18-2006, 05:07

I put mine there...isn't that what profiles are for?

Twofiddy
01-25-2006, 09:58

Hey jack... keep it quiet man. I dont want you to blow my cover...

Seriously though... I can see it now, blonde, bueatiful, 24, and ten jerks walking right behind her from the internet.

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Grinds
01-25-2006, 10:24
Beans, I'll be leaving March 15 or 16. See ya out there.

trailjournals.com/grinds