PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1.

hawkhero
04-02-2015, 13:52
Impluse buy! Just got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Got a great deal on it new. Any concerns should I have about it?

tim.hiker
04-02-2015, 14:06
too late after you buy it, but I know what you mean a good deal hard to pass up. lol

colorado_rob
04-02-2015, 14:07
Where did you get it? Please share....

PS: I love my UL2, used it about 100 nights so far, it is getting a bit "worn out", but still useable. I'd pick up a UL1 if price was right

Nimbles
04-02-2015, 14:12
Nothing besides the obvious (seam-sealing ect...), A lot of people carried those when I Thru hiked in 2013. Was it the platinum or the original. As far as I know its one of the lightest truly free standing tents on the market.

DLP
04-02-2015, 14:15
I can't think of any concerns. :) Some people find it claustrophobic. I don't.

I like the fabric better than silnylon, as it doesn't stretch when wet.

I modified it to have it stand up with a hiking pole or tied to a tree... but I have a history of throwing the poles away from tents. :)

With no poles, it is 1 lb, 6 and 1/8 oz. in 2 stuff sacks. (not including the stakes).

Lyle
04-02-2015, 14:15
I did an impulse buy as well. I use a Hexamid Solo Plus normally, but wanted a double wall for some situations. I used my 20% off coupon and REI dividend to get it for $155. Supposed to be delivered today according to UPS.

hawkhero
04-02-2015, 14:57
Where did you get it? Please share....

PS: I love my UL2, used it about 100 nights so far, it is getting a bit "worn out", but still useable. I'd pick up a UL1 if price was right

I got it from ebay. Only one for sale.

hawkhero
04-02-2015, 15:00
Nothing besides the obvious (seam-sealing ect...), A lot of people carried those when I Thru hiked in 2013. Was it the platinum or the original. As far as I know its one of the lightest truly free standing tents on the market.

It is a original model. Very light! I got a footprint for it too. Now I have to save up for my ULA Catalyst!!

swjohnsey
04-02-2015, 15:18
I replaced the lines with the stuff zpack sells and used little clamcleats. Got some titanium shepherd hook stakes. Probably saved an ounce.

hawkhero
04-02-2015, 15:36
I replaced the lines with the stuff zpack sells and used little clamcleats. Got some titanium shepherd hook stakes. Probably saved an ounce.

What size z-line did you buy?

hawkhero
04-03-2015, 13:02
Ordered some line from Zpacks.

Sarcasm the elf
04-03-2015, 13:35
Honestly I'm not a huge fan of this tent. I borrowed one from a friend for a few trips and was not impressed.

The two main concerns I had about it were that the advertised size of the interior floor space was rather exaggerated and the interior height was not enough for me to sit up in or even enough to comfortably change clothes in. I also was not a fan of the tent door being front entry, but that wasn't a deal breaker. When you get the the tent, make sure to set it up and try it out to see if the dimensions work for you.

I hope you like the tent more than I did, but if not, both Lightheartgear and Tarptent make roomier tents for about the same weight.

Astro
04-03-2015, 15:25
Personally love mine, but I am only 5'8" so still big enough for me, and I just have to lay my pack sideways inside. I previously had a Seedhouse SL2, so I appreciate the lighter weight and it is easier to setup/fold up.

CCCCAT
04-08-2015, 23:25
I had the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 (for me and my dog). I'm not a big fan either. The tent I got had a small hole in it, so I returned it. I found the walls sloping in made the tent feel very closed in. I exchanged for the REI Dash 2 Tent http://www.rei.com/product/862419/rei-dash-2-tent.

HooKooDooKu
04-09-2015, 01:20
I once borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 from a friend. I can pretty much ditto what the Elf said. I'll add that camping in GSMNP, I tend to have condensation issues with BA tents in general. Because of the small size of the tent while using size large sleeping pad and bag, I woke to a soggy foot box of on my sleeping bag.

colorado_rob
04-09-2015, 08:17
I guess we all just sleep differently, or some simply avoid "user error", but in the roughly 100 nights I've slept in my BA fly creek, mostly in the humid east, I've never had a significant condensation problem, and certainly never got a "soggy footbox" (and I'm 6' 1" tall). Any tent needs to be ventilated to avoid this, BA tents are no different. Enjoy your excellent purchase!

swonut
04-09-2015, 09:21
I found it hard to get into and out of when things turned muddy, especially when I had to get up in the middle of the night to go pee.

Some condensation issues, but I think it was more of the mist in the air getting up under the fly and then collecting on the netting. Ultimately switched to a side entry with a little more headroom and was much happier.

Tipi Walter
04-09-2015, 10:43
Check out Patman's review of the Fly Creek UL2---
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/fly-creek-ul2/#review24531

hawkhero
04-10-2015, 08:26
Well, set it up in the living room the other day. It is small! I am 6'1" and it's tight. The one problem I think will be getting in/out if its raining. I could always sell it and buy a Tarptent!

hawkhero
04-12-2015, 05:15
Well selling the fly creek. No offers yet so I might go and sell it on eBay.

FamilyGuy
04-17-2015, 17:03
The biggest issue with that design (and other similar designs from Big Agnes) is that during a rain, entry or exit means rain will come directly into the living quarters.

colorado_rob
04-17-2015, 18:47
Well, set it up in the living room the other day. It is small! I am 6'1" and it's tight. The one problem I think will be getting in/out if its raining. I could always sell it and buy a Tarptent!Hard to understand why one 6'-1" person (me) finds it plenty roomy and another doesn't, but I guess it all comes down to expectations and experience. Did you guy out the side nice and tight? Makes a big difference with interior room. I'm talking about the guy points mid-way up on the fly that attach to the tent body.

BTW: that perceived rain thing is a non-issue. I've used mine over 100 nights without getting rain inside the main tent body. In the 5% of the time it's raining hard while entering or exiting, you just have to take care and not 100% unzip the fly.

Sorry it didn't work out for you! sounds like you do need a more spacious tent. That wont be as warm, but if you're sticking strictly with warm-weather use, not a factor.

Franco
04-18-2015, 04:46
"Hard to understand why one 6'-1" person (me) finds it plenty roomy and another doesn't"
Not uncommon.
Many possible reasons
Torso longer (or shorter for those who fit) than average
Thick mat vs thin mat
Sleeping on you back vs curled up
"Just touching" the walls for one is "pushing against the walls "for another.

Franco
04-18-2015, 04:47
"Torso longer (or shorter for those who fit) than average"3
I meant sit up room there...

colorado_rob
04-18-2015, 09:36
"Hard to understand why one 6'-1" person (me) finds it plenty roomy and another doesn't"
Not uncommon.
Many possible reasons
Torso longer (or shorter for those who fit) than average
Thick mat vs thin mat
Sleeping on you back vs curled up
"Just touching" the walls for one is "pushing against the walls "for another.Yeah, all good reasons, and I did understand when you mentioned torso length.

I still think it amounts to expectations and experience more than anything. Tarp tents are wonderful and spacious, but they have their issues as well. Sounds like the TT is the way to go for the OP. If I didn't get a pro-deal on new Big Agnes products (40% off), I'd buy his fly Creek from him, knowing that mine will eventually wear out. I think he can sell his for much better than 40% off; despite what is said on this thread (the negativity), the BA fly creek is a fairly highly rated tent (average 4 stars everywhere I see ratings).

hawkhero
04-18-2015, 14:41
Update: I sold the Fly Creek. I looked at the MSR Hubba nx. Ended up with a BA Copper Spur! Love the side entry better than the Fly Creek.

FamilyGuy
04-18-2015, 14:42
BTW: that perceived rain thing is a non-issue. I've used mine over 100 nights without getting rain inside the main tent body. In the 5% of the time it's raining hard while entering or exiting, you just have to take care and not 100% unzip the fly.

No, it is a real issue v.s. a perceived issue and is one of the reasons why BA also makes side entry tents with 'drip free' entry.

It is a ****ty design.

swjohnsey
04-18-2015, 17:13
It is a great design if you are willing to deal with the compromise necessary for an under two pound design in a free standing tent.

colorado_rob
04-18-2015, 18:00
It is a great design if you are willing to deal with the compromise necessary for an under two pound design in a free standing tent.Exactly. And I'm pretty sure the side entry thing is preferred by a lot of folks because it is simply easier to get into. I think the OP will be very happy with his decision. Good gear is all about tradeoffs. The CS is heavier, but more convenient.

FamilyGuy
04-19-2015, 10:12
It is a great design if you are willing to deal with the compromise necessary for an under two pound design in a free standing tent.

13 stakes required to full set up doesn't make it freestanding. What a great design.

swjohnsey
04-19-2015, 10:28
It is free standing without any stakes in a pinch. It takes six for a full pitch if you have a brain. I also have a Hubba. I generally only carry it on the motorcycle.

FamilyGuy
04-19-2015, 10:47
13 stakes for full pitch; not truly freestanding design. Show your 6 peg pitch that was done with a brain.

Astro
04-19-2015, 15:56
It is free standing without any stakes in a pinch. It takes six for a full pitch if you have a brain. I also have a Hubba. I generally only carry it on the motorcycle.

I have a Fly Creek UL1, and have set it up various times with 6 to 11 stakes. Just curious about which 6 you consider the essential 6.

swjohnsey
04-19-2015, 17:07
Two in back, two in front, two on sides . . . think I use 7 one in very back at the point. In '12 the BA Flycreek UL1 was probably the most popular tent on the trail. Mine comes in at 31 oz ready to go. My Hubba is about a lb heavier.

lonehiker
04-20-2015, 14:21
I've used a Fly Creek UL2 for a few years. Perhaps 120-130 nights? Who knows maybe more. Never had the issues that many are talking about. Been in some horrendous thunder storms and have always remained dry. Don't even use a footprint with it. Once the floor was "floating" as I had an inch or two of water under tent (I know, operator error as I was in a bad spot) and still remained dry. I have had some condensation on the fly but have never used a tent that this didn't happen and this is after all one of the purposes of the double wall construction. 95% of the time I set-up with 8 stakes. If it is to be very windy and I am exposed, I will use 2 extra stakes. I understand what the poster is talking about when he says that he sets up with 6 stakes. I just prefer to use the extra stakes as it is no big deal. All manufacturers of free-standing tents recommend some staking. If people are getting wet from either rain or condensation they obviously didn't set up properly. I have recommended, and will continue to do so, this tent to numerous interested people.

Astro
04-20-2015, 16:22
Two in back, two in front, two on sides . . . think I use 7 one in very back at the point. In '12 the BA Flycreek UL1 was probably the most popular tent on the trail. Mine comes in at 31 oz ready to go. My Hubba is about a lb heavier.

Thanks, pretty much the same here, unless I do an extra 2 on the sides to cut down on condensation.