PDA

View Full Version : Advice from past thruhikers

Grey Fox
11-07-2005, 10:28
I was was hoping to start a thread for past thruhikers to give the class of 06 some tips. What I would especially like to see is stuff to look forward to in the middle states. Almost all books on the AT talk about how great the southern and northern half are, but just gloss over the middle states. What can we look foward to guys and gals?

chris
11-07-2005, 10:45
Unfortunately, I can think of nothing good from Shenandoah to CT. Duncannon is a really cool stop and I enjoyed myself a lot there. The climb out of Palmerton is sort of fun, especially if done near sunset. But, I really hated the mid Atlantic and found it to be the most difficult section: I just wanted to hitch out of it. Sorry for the gloomy perspective.

Grey Fox
11-07-2005, 11:44
wow, not what i was hopinf for at all....

fiddlehead
11-07-2005, 12:21
Your hike will show you a lot about America that you would probably not see any other way. The beautiful mtns of VA and the conservative bible belt folks from GA to Md. Possibly some hillbillies (i'm thinking moonshine when i say that) Small towns with 3 crosses on the hillside overlooking them. Shenendoah NP which is considered the easiest physical section of the trail with it's many bears and tourists and convienience stores. Lots of American history in WV (all 8 miles)
PA and it's long ridges full of limestone (pointed) rocks, (& Cabelas Pa's biggest tourist attraction)
The Hudson river and west point (near the trail) into southern New England and you will hopefully learn the difference between southern and the Real New England (VT, NH, and ME) which once again is composed of small towns where everyone knows everyone else and very picturesque England style villages. Once again the mtns will turn to more ups and downs than the long mid-state ridge walking which makes the middle states a lot easier walking. (assuming your a northbounder here)
You will see and learn a lot, but it's best you know if you just experience it without looking for what you are supposed to expect. Everyone's hike is different of course and you should come back here in a year and write what you thought about the mid states. I'd like to see what you thought.

the goat
11-07-2005, 12:26
dude, i had a blast all the way through the midatlantic. harper's ferry is cool. pa towns rock (although the trail is kinda schwag), port clinton hotel & the pavillion, lehigh gap, the doyle is a must-stay. the dog patch in md. nj/ny is beautiful: the secret shelter, privies with no walls, bear mt. zoo, pizza delivery at shelters. best of all: beer is always in close proximity!:clap

Bayley
11-07-2005, 13:39
yeah, mid-atlantic states=lots of free beer...Traction and I were given beer 6 days in a row. Very friendly people, easy walking in lots of places. Plus, if you like town, you can go to town, like, twice a day. Not that I did that ever...

The Hog
11-07-2005, 17:21
There are some pretty amazing concentrations of blueberries in PA and NJ. I recall one spot above the PA turnpike where tiny little plants were nearly breaking under the load of sweet, plump berries. Bring some pancake mix along for this section.

Mouse
11-07-2005, 17:53
Virginia: keep on plugging, you WILL eventually get through it!

PA: ignore all the things about rocks, just hike!

NJ: don't really expect the rocks to end at Delaware Water Gap.

When it gets hot and humid, stopping for a night at a motel to bask in the air conditioning really really helps.

Strongly consider mailing your stove, pot and fuel ahead and skip cooking in the middle states to save weight. Ramen and tortelini are great raw as are many other foods.

Berry paradise! Eat, eat, eat, eat!

Mouse
11-07-2005, 17:55
I forgot the ice cream! Never forget the ice cream!

Uncle Silly
11-07-2005, 19:30
ohmigawd, ice cream!! i got good creamery icecream twice in one day in NJ/NY; both spots were less than .2 off the trail. wooooot!!

alanthealan
11-07-2005, 22:55
I enjoyed the heat rashes and dehydration.

Uncle Silly
11-07-2005, 23:09
"Nothing good from Shenandoah to CT"?? ***?? Harriman SP in NY; Harper's Ferry, nothin' short of gorgeous terrain across two rivers; Delaware Water Gap, another fabulous gorge; terrific wineberries, blueberries, and blackberries all along the way. As others have mentioned, the climb out of LeHigh Gap (and the wondrous, amazing Metallica Springs), and all the little delis and creameries close to the trail from the mid-Atlantic up through New England.

Don't be fooled, there are plenty of great things to look forward to, see, and discover along the trail in the mid-Atlantic states.

MoBeach42
11-07-2005, 23:12
Almost all books on the AT talk about how great the southern and northern half are, but just gloss over the middle states. What can we look foward to guys and gals?

GREY FOX!!!! WHAT'S UP!?!?!? Do you have my phone number? Give me a call - let's talk! Excited to see you on WB. Ok, I should talk about what's awesome in the middle. I'll read the rest of the posts and get back to you on that one.

Mouse
11-07-2005, 23:12
And the Half Gallon Challange at the halfway point at Pine Grove Furnace. Choose vanilla, it's blandness is easier to get down than things like cookie-dough. The record is around four minutes to scarf down the entire half gallon. Eating little bites too small to get a headache from the cold, it took me about 50 minutes. (The same as it took me to get through Mahoosuc Notch)

MoBeach42
11-07-2005, 23:27
yeah, mid-atlantic states=lots of free beer...Traction and I were given beer 6 days in a row. Very friendly people, easy walking in lots of places. Plus, if you like town, you can go to town, like, twice a day. Not that I did that ever...
I for one was glad that I got through the Mid-Atlantic before it got hot and dry. That was a blessing. And early enough that the trees didn't fully close in the green tunnel until after SNP. Day Tripper hits the nail on the head here - I think it's about the companionship in this section. I just had a great time hiking around so many great people. And the little red hearts pinned on trees. Those kept me smiling.

Really easy miles. If you enjoy walking - the rhythm of putting one foot in front of the other, this is a great place to do it. And when you only have to carry two days of food (or less), it's really nice. My list of things that rocked (no pun intended):
1) New Jersey. The whole state. Awesome.
2) Harriman State Park
3) Cumberland Valley
4) Duncannon, Palmerton
5) Boiling Springs
6) Lehigh Gap
7) DWG
7a) the hearts on the trees
8) Harper's Ferry
9) Washington Monument
10) Actually, most all of MD
11) Bears Den Hostel
12) Blackburn Trail Center
13) Eckville Shelter
14) Chino, Free Spirit, Chestnut, Bass Master, 'sippi, Diesel, Frank and Crow, and others.

RedneckRye
11-08-2005, 01:26
Yuengling. Lots and lots of Yuengling.

Nean
11-08-2005, 02:29
I'm sippin one now; and who you callin hillbilly Fh? Traveling (by foot) is the cake, so called "scenery" is icing on that cake. Attitude is (no lie) the only difference.:-? :banana :bse :D :sun :p ;)

fiddlehead
11-08-2005, 08:02
I'm sippin one now; and who you callin hillbilly Fh?

Sorry if i offended you Nean. I was not thinking of you, just the "shine" and it's geographical availabilities. good to see you back on here. Just got a slide show from sloride and lori, they just hiked the hayduke trail. awesome pix.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2005, 08:06
The moon shines brightly in the Damascus area.

CynJ
11-08-2005, 09:34
you will hopefully learn the difference between southern and the Real New England (VT, NH, and ME)

lol....what we got cooties or something? :p

chris
11-08-2005, 10:50
"Nothing good from Shenandoah to CT"?? ***?? Harriman SP in NY; Harper's Ferry, nothin' short of gorgeous terrain across two rivers; Delaware Water Gap, another fabulous gorge; terrific wineberries, blueberries, and blackberries all along the way. As others have mentioned, the climb out of LeHigh Gap (and the wondrous, amazing Metallica Springs), and all the little delis and creameries close to the trail from the mid-Atlantic up through New England.

Don't be fooled, there are plenty of great things to look forward to, see, and discover along the trail in the mid-Atlantic states.

I think that, perhaps, we have different standards for "good". None of the things you listed (except for, possibly, the superfund area) I would call "good". I've been to interstate rest areas with more scenic qualities.

Blister
11-08-2005, 13:55
I think that, perhaps, we have different standards for "good". None of the things you listed (except for, possibly, the superfund area) I would call "good". I've been to interstate rest areas with more scenic qualities.

Just because you live in one of the most beautiful states on this continent - we have to cherrish what we have over here - all the good and the bad. Every state is it's own adventure. :dance

chris
11-08-2005, 15:13
Yeah, but you live in one of the most scenic as well. NH is definitely outside the unpleasant zone.