PDA

View Full Version : What Sawyer filter do you use?

hawkhero
04-02-2015, 18:07
I am getting back into hiking and was looking at the Sawyer mini filter. Is that the most popular one? I have a hiker pro now and would like to lighten my base weight.

HooKooDooKu
04-02-2015, 19:21
I use the mini because I'm set up to use it as a gravity filter. That way I'm not worried about the fact that the squeeze is a little faster simply because it is bigger. I also like that a replacement is only 20 bucks at discount retailers. It’s two short comings are 1. No pump... difficult if you have a shallow water source and 2. You can't let it freeze. If I take a trip where I expect freezing Temps I take my old Sweet water filter.

hawkhero
04-02-2015, 19:48
how durable are the bags? That would be my one concern.

Odd Man Out
04-02-2015, 19:58
Mini for me too. For now I'm a summer hiker so freezing is not an issue for me. I have the bottom half of a water bottle to scoop from shallow water sources.

Lyle
04-02-2015, 20:31
I've used both. The regular Squeeze is quicker and needs back-flushing less often. The mini is smaller and lighter, but is also a bit slower, and I found that it needed to be back-flushed every day. Not a big problem, it only takes about 30 seconds to back flush, but you must remember to do so while you still have enough clean water to use. I found if I took care of flushing it while I waited form my dinner to cook, it was no big deal.

Over all, I really like either of the squeeze models for one person. If I were filtering for two, I would definitely prefer the original, full size model.

Lyle
04-02-2015, 20:37

I've used one or the other model for a couple of years now, never had a bag fail. I understand they have improved them from the original. I also have some old platypus bags that fit, and managed to get a couple of the Evernew bags that fit the Squeeze. I use the bags for dirty water and Squeeze into the pot for cooking, or Gatorade bottles for drinking. Quite convenient once you get used to it. Don't force the water through, if the filter slows down so that you need to use excessive force, back flush. It takes less than a minute and makes things much easier. Plus you have less chance of damaging your dirty water bag if you aren't forcing it.

Five Tango
04-02-2015, 21:18
I have the Sawyer mini as well as the original Sawyer.Also bot some Evernew bags because they are supposed to be better.The original Sawyer is compatible for quick disconnects to fill a bladder hose tank without removing it from your pack.I can carry both and still be less than half the weight of my old MSR pump filter with the ceramic core.Have not used the filter or bags much yet to say but I like the light weight.In cold weather you can keep the mini on your person and hardly know its there.....

hawkhero
04-03-2015, 04:57
Think I will try the Mimi. Doesn't cost too much. Thanks for the info.

BirdBrain
04-03-2015, 10:41
My current setup. Sorry for the picture quality. My phone takes horrible pictures.

I used a 50.7 oz Poland Springs water bottle to create a scoop and funnel. The item screwed onto the funnel is the cap to the bottle, a cap to a Coke bottle and a piece of screen from a reusable coffee filter. I drilled holes through both caps and glued the screen between the caps. The construction acts as a prefilter. I screw the funnel onto the sawyer bag and pour water from the scoop into the funnel. After the bag is filled I... well... filter water. The mini is shown with all attachments. I made two caps out of the tops off coke bottles and a blanks made out of a thin sheet of plastic which I super glued to the caps. There is a dirty end cap and a clean end cap. The left end also has a Smart Water flip top on it for back flushing. That is best described in a video by Kaboose that I will attach at the end of this post.

Assembled, the scoop and funnel click together to make a storage container for the filter, bag, mini, and attachments. The whole system weighs 3.8 oz.

Here is the video review by Kaboose. Great stuff.

https://youtu.be/1mBm3B8OqHY

perdidochas
04-03-2015, 11:14
I use the mini because I'm set up to use it as a gravity filter. That way I'm not worried about the fact that the squeeze is a little faster simply because it is bigger. I also like that a replacement is only 20 bucks at discount retailers. It’s two short comings are 1. No pump... difficult if you have a shallow water source and 2. You can't let it freeze. If I take a trip where I expect freezing Temps I take my old Sweet water filter.

bring a ziplock to put your Sawyer filter in, and sleep with it in your sleeping bag to keep it from freezing. Did that on a weekend trip, worked just fine.

HooKooDooKu
04-03-2015, 11:25

I use a 2L Evernew Watercarry for the dirty water bag because it will attach directly to the mini. A platypus will not properly screw onto a mini because platypus uses a custom thread pitch. The Sawyers use standard thread found on most store bought drink bottles and the Evernew.

hawkhero
04-03-2015, 12:58
I was looking at the Evernew bag. Not cheap!

4Days
04-03-2015, 13:13
Thanks for showing this BirdBrain. I have both the Mini and Squeeze and was wondering about the plunger and which one to take. You answered all my questions and gave me some great insight into how to collect water and purge their systems.

bigcranky
04-03-2015, 13:43
We took a Sawyer Mini on the Long Trail last summer, one filter for two people. It worked fine, though one of the bags failed fairly quickly. I carried two bags, and had a third one in a mail drop halfeay through, which was good timing.

Using the filter is slow and sometimes difficult, especially for someone like me with hand issues. Someone showed me how to sit on the bag for "auto filtering" and I did that for the second half of the hike. Much easier, though it looks a little, um, funny. :)

We did take a bunch of Aqua Mira tabs and used those when we were on the move and didn't have time to filter.

Five Tango
04-03-2015, 14:48
That was pretty impressive using the Smart Water Cap to do the backflushing.Nice job on the homemade funnel.For those of you who don't want a DIY project,Hennessey Hammock sells a screw on funnel with a wire filter that you can also attach to your tarp to collect rain water.I have their funnel but have not tarp tested it.Here is the link if you are interested.....http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/hh2o_water_collector_and_automagic_fly_tensioner_s ystem_m190/

BirdBrain
04-03-2015, 15:02
To be clear, I stole the smart water cap idea from Kaboose. The duel purpose case and prefilter cap were my ideas. I do not recall where I saw the caps made out coke bottle tops.

gbolt
04-03-2015, 16:00
Another option for the "double cap" on the original Sawyer Squeeze is called a Tornado Tube found on ine or hobby shops for around $5. It's meant to join 2 - two liter water bottles to create a water Tornado. Is great for attaching a Smart Water Bottle to the Squeeze for filling and then back flushing. Someone stated that the smart waterbottle cap will work on the Squeeze the same way it works on the mini. Haven't tried it yet. Still listening to many reports that the mini needs to be backflushed regularly otherwise the flow rate is greatly decreased over the heavier Squeeze. Was impressed by the flow rate that Kaboose demonstrated. Hopefully, he will follow up after finishing the hike this summer and then be able to compare one to the other from actual AT trail experience.

Lyle
04-03-2015, 17:13
I use a 2L Evernew Watercarry for the dirty water bag because it will attach directly to the mini. A platypus will not properly screw onto a mini because platypus uses a custom thread pitch. The Sawyers use standard thread found on most store bought drink bottles and the Evernew.

If you have an older Platypus they work fine. I use mine. My understanding is that the newer ones do , indeed, have a different thread and are not entirely secure.

Bucho
04-05-2015, 21:37
Sawyer 3 way. I've used it both inline and as a gravity filter.

The mini is rated for many fewer gallons than Sawyer's other products but considering it's $20 and will last a thru hike it seems like a good option.

HooKooDooKu
04-06-2015, 10:01
The mini is rated for many fewer gallons than Sawyer's other products but considering it's $20 and will last a thru hike it seems like a good option.
The "Squeeze" has a lifetime warranty, where as the mini is listed as ONLY filtering upto 100,000 gallons.

Christoph
04-06-2015, 10:01
Swayer sqeeze here. I'm not completely sold on the pouch yet but if I'm careful and take my time, im sure it'll be fine.

Bucho
04-06-2015, 15:20
The "Squeeze" has a lifetime warranty, where as the mini is listed as ONLY filtering upto 100,000 gallons.

I've been wondering about that, anybody know how well the warranty holds up? I ask because it seems like there's weasel out language in the warranty.

iAmKrzys
04-07-2015, 08:00

If I drank a gallon of water a day then 100,000 gallons would still translate into more than 270 years of use, so I don't see how that will ever matter to me...

I have a squeeze mini and my biggest issues are:

The pouch is difficult to fill in standing water, so i am carrying a small 8-oz bottle just to fill the pouch.
Line-in and line-out are of same size, so it happened to me that I attached the rubber hose at the wrong end and I started wondering about cross contamination.
It is somewhat time consuming and I regretted not getting 64-oz pouch on my first trip.
Finally, I have to trust that it works as advertised and I don't have any way to test manufacturer claims (this is true for most filters.) After all, probably no longer that 50 years ago most people were not carrying any water filters and they somehow survived. I do wonder however if they were getting sick more in the old days.

On the other hand it cost me only $20 and it is relatively lightweight albeit a bit bulky with the syringe.

Bird Dawg
04-07-2015, 20:55
This is an interesting set up, too. I've been experimenting with it and - so far - it has worked well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQETu708Jss&index=63&list=WL

billnchristy
05-16-2015, 21:50
We use the squeeze, no complaints other than I suck at filling the bag, the girls are much better (read patient).

Singto
05-31-2015, 21:19
I say KISS method as much as possible when trying to hike safe and lite. Buy yourself a Sawyer Mini, extra collapsible bag (size and make up to you) and a 1 liter bottle of smart water. Quickly back flush after every use, pack it away where it won't freeze and enjoy your hike. All these bottle cap adapters, hoses and pre-filter stuff just complicates life, which is what many people are trying to get away from by hiking in the first place.

Cedar1974
06-21-2015, 11:24
The Squeeze and the Mini use the same filter material I believe, just the Squeeze is faster and larger. I personally would suggest getting the 4 pack of Mini filters, that way you get extra bags, and if you use a Hydration pack, you can actually fit the Mini in line with it.

OCDave
06-21-2015, 18:48
I have both the Squeeze and the Mini however, I had occasion to use a 4L Platypus GravityWorks system this past week and despite the cost will be making the switch as soon as the next 20% off coupon appears for my local equipment retailer. The Platypus was so much easier, so much faster the Sawyer filters went unused among a hiking party of 13 after the first water stop.

Grinder
06-22-2015, 08:53
I have a sawyer mini. Flow is VERY slow. I will be getting a sawyer squeeze soon. About 4 times the flow rate with the squeeze.

ExNihilo
06-22-2015, 14:18
I ordered a Mini through Amazon ($16 and free shipping with Prime!) last week and was stoked! It worked well at home. Tested it a few times. Then on the AT Saturday I was camelling up at Tagg Run (near James Fry shelter) and noticed that water was coming out of both ends!! Snapped a quick picture and fumbled around with it and cursed myself for not picking up Aquamira as a backup. Looking closer I realized that the washer on the inside was working its way inside the mouth of the pouch. I must have been tightening it too hard but who the hell ever heard of that as a problem? I fished it out and only closed it just so. Flow was fine after that. I'm definitely getting a bigger dirty bag as trying to fill 3 liters with a 16 ounce pouch was an exercise in patience. And Sawyer really should put some warning language on their products. I tagged Sawyer Products on instagram and posted the picture and they responded quickly. This is definitely a known issue. Either way, I'm happy to have had clean water from Tagg Run. Still plan on using my Sawyer going forward but will be picking up AM or similar for backup.

Canadian_Hiker
08-24-2015, 19:50
I know this is an older thread but thought I would give my two cents. I used the Sawyer Mini for two years and have given up on it! If your water source is nice and clear with little silt it works great. However, if there is any silt at all leave it home or plan on back flush after every 1 to 2 liters! I added some weight to my pack and went with a MSR Mini Works with the MSR Silt Stopper and will never look back.

Slackanater
08-24-2015, 20:59
I used a mini at first on my thru hike but then switch to the regular squeeze. When I finished my hike I started some tips videos here is the one I did on water filtration and hydration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5IOxALh2E

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 21:06
sawyer squeeze, 70oz platypus and two 1 liter platypus with a drink tube. hang the 70oz for dirty water and screw the filter on, take the empty 1liter bottle with drink tube attached and slide the bite valve over the exit end of the filter, give a little squeeze and sit back and enjoy your gravity filter.

scrabbler
11-19-2015, 21:22
I had a 2L Sawyer bag break last trip, at the edge of the connector to bag, seems to be a common place. I have always flushed the mini when I get home, never in the field. This time when I got home I flushed ... a lot! Wow, I think I was able triple the output of it by the time I finished. Either I wasnt backflushing enough previously, or I broke the darn thing. I guess what Im trying to say is that if you think your mini is slow, spend an extra 5 minutes flushing it, you might just be surprised at the end result.

Hosh
11-29-2015, 13:42
sawyer squeeze, 70oz platypus and two 1 liter platypus with a drink tube. hang the 70oz for dirty water and screw the filter on, take the empty 1liter bottle with drink tube attached and slide the bite valve over the exit end of the filter, give a little squeeze and sit back and enjoy your gravity filter.

+1 on the gravity feed, I use a Sawyer 3-1 and either a MSR 5 liter bag or an Evernew 2L bag for groups of 3 to 6. Hanging the MSR is too easy and the 3-1 will filter lots of water before a back flush is needed. I also have a Sawyer mini for solo or duo trips and carry Aquamira for a backup. The Sawyer bags were supposed fixed for bursting, but I bought the Evernew JIC.

The MSR bag, tubing and filter is 10 ounces, but the convenience for a large group is priceless

Rex Clifton
11-29-2015, 17:32
Sawyer Squeeze. I tried the Mini but the flow is too constricted. Stay away from the Sawyer bags, they have a high fail rate. My dirty water bag is a 2 liter Evernew (the threads on the Platy bags are not compatible) filtering into two Smartwater bottles.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

SkeeterPee
11-29-2015, 22:33
I have a mini and I picked up a 64oz bag and carry it and the 16oz as a spare. Mostly I just use the 64oz unless I want to carry a lot to a camping spot away from water where I can filter it as needed for cooking or the next mornings water. I have had no flow problems doing short trips with clear spring water. once it is flowing it seems to keep going. I want to get some more tubing and experiment as I think it will gravity feed pretty easily so I don't need to squeeze. I carry a bottom of a milk jug to use as wash basin, but also to scoop water out of low pools of water.

squeezebox
11-30-2015, 06:30
Sawyer said just keep it in the freezer!!

Sorry folks I couldn't help myself, I will call Sawyer and get back to you in a few hours.

Mtsman
11-30-2015, 06:49
I use this sawyer system (kinda):

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-complete-4-liter-dual-bag-water-purifier-system/

I started out with everything you see there. The hoses were crap, the 4 liter bags were too much and too heavy (empty). I ultimately replaced the lines with stuff found at lowes and I replaced the bags with 2 liter hydrapak bags. The filter is still going strong and I rarely have to backflush it (very easy to do just lift the clean bag higher than the dirty bag every once in awhile instead of using the clean water). I ended up getting a camelbak quick disconnect and splicing it above my right shoulder on my pack. this way I dont even have to take the water bag out of my pack to fill up.

The best thing about this system is it filters viruses too, not just bacteria (not that you have to worry about that in NA so much but if I travel to other countries I dont have to switch out systems either).

If you can get just the filter and you are handy with hoses then I would recommend customizing to your needs.

I have had this system for roughly 6-8 years (the first type didnt even have labels on them for flow) but I havent been tempted enough to change to anything else.

YMMV HYOH