PDA

View Full Version : End of the Florida Trail for the season

perrymk
04-02-2015, 18:37
There still seems to be plenty of rain, and likely flooding, and the temperatures are rising. I'm sure I'll continue to hike locally.

This year was a little disappointing as far as mileage goes. I only hiked 187 Florida Trail miles. I still have approximately 198 miles left to the southern terminus and then I can go to the northern terminus and work my way home about 300 miles. The hard part now is the packing and driving. Most trips are now 3-4 days to minimize the number of times I have to make the drive. The northern terminus is only about 3 hours away by car so those miles can be done as day trips, although an overnight trip is not out of the question.

The highlights this year include meeting a bear in the Ocala National Forest and almost tripping over a large alligator in the Bull Creek WMA.

Chenango
04-21-2015, 10:07
I only got in 115 miles this winter. I have hiked from Oasis Center to the northern end of Osceola National Forest. Then I have a gap from the Suwannee River to the edge of St Marks Wildlife Refuge. The 115 I hiked this winter was through St Marks an Apalachicola National Forest. That leaves me with about 400 miles to go. I sure hope it is drier next winter.

Chenango
04-21-2015, 10:08
BTW, I spent last winter at Alligator Point near Panacea. Going back to the same place next year.

perrymk
04-21-2015, 13:06
I'm only an hour or so away from Alligator Point.

chiefduffy
04-23-2015, 08:59
I got Navarre to Ft Pickens and Ala border to Herold Store.