PDA

View Full Version : Curious about NJ AT

nails
11-07-2005, 11:11
I'm a new hiker and I've been doing small section hikes along the AT in NJ. I've completed the area from the Deleware Water Gap to Rte 206 and I'll be doing Rte 206 to Rte 284 this week. My question is a general one; How would thru hikers rate the NJ section in terms of difficulty as in terrain, elevation, etc. Just curious, Thanks.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2005, 11:28
Scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the toughest, I'd rate NJ a 2. I really like the AT thru Jersey.

Ender
11-07-2005, 11:32
Scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the toughest, I'd rate NJ a 2. I really like the AT thru Jersey.

I agree. Very easy physically, but very pretty. The swamp walk is one of my favorite sections of the AT... miles of walking on bridges over the marsh and muck of the NJ swamps. Actually very pretty, and easy walking. The bugs can be something else though... bring deet.

the goat
11-07-2005, 11:57
if you can see through the skeeters, the view is nice.

jackiebolen
11-07-2005, 12:08
I hiked from GA-MA and would say that my favorite state was NJ. Easy walking, varied terrain, good hostels, lots of water. Definitely recommended for a section hike.

Kerosene
11-07-2005, 16:49
Delaware Water Gap to Unionville was my first backpacking trip in April 1973 at the age of 15. It seemed harder than a '2' when you don't know what else to expect, but after several thousand miles I'd put it at a '2' or a '3'. The challenge isn't so much the elevation changes as it is the rockiness of the footpath.

High Point to Vernon has a difficulty level of '1' and makes for a lovely day's hike of about 20 miles.

Moxie00
11-07-2005, 19:46
:) Having seen only the oil refineries, downtown Newark, and the cement telephone poles along the New Jursey Turnpike I was amazed at how beautiful the trail was north of Deleware Water Gap. Not difficult but wild and beautiful, plenty of water, wonderful trail angels and great hostels. I never expected to find wilderness in New Jersey and it reminded me a bit of home,(Maine). The mosquitoes were fierce around Vernon and the swamps and I think I swallowed as many as bit me. I agree with Lone Wolf on level of difficulty but on level of great friendly people and services I would say 9+ on a scale of 10. Western New Jersey is a real jewel. Eastern New Jersey, at least near NY City, is a dismal swamp by comparison.

Jack Tarlin
11-07-2005, 20:14
Has anyone mentioned the wildlife?

With the possible exception of Shenandoah National Park, one has the greatest chance of seeing a bear in New Jersey than anywhere else on the A.T.

Bring a camera with you and have a great hike!

Kerosene
11-07-2005, 20:54
I saw birds of just about every color in the Walkill Wildlife Refuge at the beginning of July last year. Walkill is a former sod farm on the NY/NJ border just trail-north of Pochuck Mountain. I literally saw red: Cardinal; orange: Baltimore Oriole; Yellow: Goldfinch; Blue: Blue Jay; Purple: Purple Finch; Brown: Sparrow; Black: Red-winged Blackbird. There were a ton of other birds also, but I started thinking about the rainbow after seeing the oriole, goldfinch and purple finch. All this is 2 or 3 miles.

nails
11-07-2005, 21:08
As a native of NJ I'm very glad to hear that people from around the country have appreciated what NJ has to offer. Admittedly the NorthEast Corridor (Philly north-east to NY) is a petrochemical/industrial blight. The northwest part of the state is gorgeous, although now is being encroached by developers. The Pine Barrens in the southern part of the state are also beautiful. One day I will hike the Batona trail (50 miles or so) through the Pine Barrens, it's an easy hike, but full of wildlife (I'm told). And the beaches in the state aren't bad either. Anyway, Thanks for the responses.

weary
11-07-2005, 21:15
Having quoted people for a couple of decades saying if "we don't pass" this or that law, "we'll become just like New Jersey," I felt like I should apologize as I walked through that beautiful state.

Ender
11-07-2005, 21:36

With the possible exception of Shenandoah National Park, one has the greatest chance of seeing a bear in New Jersey than anywhere else on the A.T.

Indeed... first bear I ever saw in the wild was in NJ. Good stuff. Big fat one too. It was my girlfriend's first bear sighting too... she was extremely happy to have seen it. Go Jersey!

rickb
11-07-2005, 21:50
Here is a picture of our campsite at the Delaware Water Gap NRA about 10 years ago. We were introducing my friends and their two kids to the AT on a day hike up to Sunfish Pond when the first photos were taken (scroll down for 2nd and third shots).

http://www.rickboudrie.com/DWG.htm

stupe
11-07-2005, 22:35
I'm from NY, but think that NJ is a beatiful section, particularly from DWG to High Point. The rest of it ain't so bad, either, as it swerves along the NJ/NY border. Unionville is a beautiful town, and it's great going through cow pastures. With cows and everything.

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 23:40
but I had to pick up a sea kayak in Brick, New Jersey and we took the opportunity to explore the Pine Barrens and the Cape May area. What we expected as southerners going to NJ was nuclear wasteland at the worst and concrete-asphalt hell at the best. What we found were awesome beaches, awesome lighthouses, beautiful places to paddle along the coast and in the pine barrens. I look forward to the NJ AT.

hustler
11-08-2005, 00:11
Jersey is great, you realize in the first few miles how bad PA sucked! Plus there are good views, ample wildlife, and deli alley. Just watch your water.

Alligator
11-08-2005, 10:35
I saw birds of just about every color in the Walkill Wildlife Refuge at the beginning of July last year. Walkill is a former sod farm on the NY/NJ border just trail-north of Pochuck Mountain. I literally saw red: Cardinal; orange: Baltimore Oriole; Yellow: Goldfinch; Blue: Blue Jay; Purple: Purple Finch; Brown: Sparrow; Black: Red-winged Blackbird. There were a ton of other birds also, but I started thinking about the rainbow after seeing the oriole, goldfinch and purple finch. All this is 2 or 3 miles.
It would be best to aim for a morning walk through the Walkill. I went through in the afternoon sun and saw very little, but knew from experience with similar areas that there was probably quite a variety of birds in the area.

"ME & U"
11-08-2005, 10:44
We were most impressed by NJ! Very nice country side. And the hiking was enjoyable. We also saw our first bear there.

rickb
11-08-2005, 10:52
I just noticed that the bear in my link sticking out of my backseat window showed up as just a black spot. I need a better scanner. NJ is bear central.

Ender
11-08-2005, 11:02
I just noticed that the bear in my link sticking out of my backseat window showed up as just a black spot. I need a better scanner. NJ is bear central.

Didn't even notice the bear until you said that. Bummer for the car, but makes for a great story!

kevinm
11-08-2005, 18:00
My first bear I ever saw was in NJ too. Funny,NJ for my longterm girlfriend at the time too. She was so excited by it as well. I thought she was fantastic for other reasons, but the bear thing made her seem so cute. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of eventually marrying her. Moral: Never end up with the person who also saw their first bear in NJ. It's destined to fail. :) However, do end up with the girl who is planning on hiking the pct with you. Yep, my second wife (lucky me) and I are planning to hike in 2007. Thruhiking women are amazing.:jump

kevinm
11-08-2005, 18:02
Sorry about this guys. My previous post replying to this. New here.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Indeed... first bear I ever saw in the wild was in NJ. Good stuff. Big fat one too. It was my girlfriend's first bear sighting too... she was extremely happy to have seen it. Go Jersey!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

prozac
11-08-2005, 23:59
On behalf of New Jersey thanx for the kind comments.:welcome

General Fireball
11-09-2005, 12:53
Up here in Sussex County, NJ (home to a good stretch of the AT in NJ) we just passed an increase in the amount of money we're spending to protect open space--so we're doing our best to keep this neck of New Jersey green. It's cool to know that folks from out of state are pleasantly surprised by the Garden State.

orangebug
11-09-2005, 21:36
I did NJ back in Late April 2002 and was hugely pleasantly surprised, in spite of the wet slippery rocks. I hope to come back to your fine state.