PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for a pack's foam back cushion?

jdc5294
04-03-2015, 00:27
I did a thru back in 2012 and I used a Granite Gear Blaze 60, which I love and still have. I recently moved to an area where I'm in the middle of a camper's/hiker's paradise (Fort Carson, CO) and I brought it along with me even though I haven't used it since. One problem is when I was at the hostel in Bangor I was doing laundry and I foolishly washed and dried (along with other things) the foam pad that Granite Gear puts in between the plastic frame and your back:

When it came out of the drier it was melted and misshapen and unusable, so I threw it out. When I got home I emailed Granite Gear and asked them if they sold replacements, which they do not. I love this pack and I was wondering if anyone knows of any aftermarket foam pads or any bright ideas for a material I could use as a replacement. I've thought about using my neoair sleeping pad semi-inflated but I also wanted to put this question out there. Thanks!

Rocket Jones
04-03-2015, 06:07
Looks like that's maybe closed cell foam? Try a piece of blue foam available from Wally World in their sporting goods section. Cut it to size, cut some holes to vent if you want. Even possibly double it up if needed. Just an idea.

4eyedbuzzard
04-03-2015, 06:18
Looks like that's maybe closed cell foam? Try a piece of blue foam available from Wally World in their sporting goods section. Cut it to size, cut some holes to vent if you want. Even possibly double it up if needed. Just an idea.^ This. I carefully cut a piece of both the 1/2" smooth blue foam pad(one layer) and also a piece of that plastic corrugated stuff (about 1/4" thick plastic cardboard stuff that they make signs out of) to fit a frameless day pack (Golite VO24) in order to give it structure and make it more comfortable to carry. Works exceptionally well. Increased load capability and comfort.

jimmyjam
04-03-2015, 06:33
You can buy one from gossamer gear

saltysack
04-03-2015, 22:32
Therms rest zlite cut down and use as sit pad at camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
04-03-2015, 22:38
Gossamer gear sit lite

Firefighter503
04-05-2015, 07:22
I agree with the Walmart blue foam, or if you are feeling fancy a cut down Thermarest of your choice. I have a ULA Ohm 2.0 and have been thinking about replacing the thin (1/8-1/4") foam with a little nicer piece of foam to make a better sit pad.

brancher
04-05-2015, 07:48
I agree with the Walmart blue foam, or if you are feeling fancy a cut down Thermarest of your choice. I have a ULA Ohm 2.0 and have been thinking about replacing the thin (1/8-1/4") foam with a little nicer piece of foam to make a better sit pad.

There are a couple of options - including some extra foam, an inflatable (look at Klymit or Gossamer Gear), or a cut-down Z-rest, etc. For my Ohm 2.0, the stock pad was okay, but I tried out a Z-rest reg - it was stiff anough but didn't allow enough room for my kit (I use my quilt semi-compressed, not tightly compressed). In the end, I had an old Ridgerest I cut in the rough shape and size I needed it, and it works wonderfully. Plenty of structural support for a UL pack and thick enough to be comfy and act as a supplemental pad for feet, sitting, etc.

HDLV
04-05-2015, 08:08
I don't know your pack very well but I have a gossamer gear mariposa and rather than using the included foam pad I fold up my NeoAir slide it in the slot for the foam and give it a little puff of air. It sheds a few grams and makes some room in your pack. I guess thats only helpful if you use an inflatable pad.

Patrickjd9
04-05-2015, 12:35
You might put a "Wanted to Buy" post on the site, and see of someone has a Granite Gear pack where another part of teh pack is damaged.

jdc5294
04-05-2015, 18:50
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to try at least a few out.