PDA

View Full Version : Too late!

B Rabbit
04-03-2015, 00:37
What is generally regarded as the last day to leave Springer and still have enough time to complete the full thru hike?
Any kind of bookmark date floating around out there?

Thanks!

Hangfire
04-03-2015, 01:08
I guess that depends on how fast you can hike, judging by your name me thinks your a quick one...

squeezebox
04-03-2015, 02:05
Sounds like 4 months is considered a fast time, anything less very fast. Spend the time you have on the trail and enjoy, If you don't do the whole trail, so what.

egilbe
04-03-2015, 07:14
Jennifer Pharr Davis did it in 6 weeks or so. I guess anything before that would probably not leave you enough time to finish it ;)

If you are young and fit and can hike fast, 4 months is not unreasonable.

Starchild
04-03-2015, 07:19
Depends if you are willing to flip also.

garlic08
04-03-2015, 07:30
So given the ability to do a fast, four-month hike and the need to get to Maine before mid-October, that would mean a real late start at Springer would be mid-June. Generally, though, I think anything past the end of April is considered late. Not many do a four-month hike, and it starts getting hot in the South after that.

Turk6177
04-03-2015, 08:16
You always have the option of flip flopping by heading up to Katahdin to head south if it gets too late in the year. Just leave enough time to get through the Whites before the snow.

B Rabbit
04-05-2015, 00:16
Thanks for the responses. So technically, a Mid-May to Late September sounds like a possible and reasonable time table..?

fiddlehead
04-05-2015, 00:18
Mid-may is do-able for many.
After that: the elite only.
IMO.

johnnybgood
04-05-2015, 10:38
Thanks for the responses. So technically, a Mid-May to Late September sounds like a possible and reasonable time table..?

Think about flipping ahead to Maine in August , then hiking south before the cold weather sets in . This also has you greeting the Autumn colors at higher elevations as you trek southbound, thus giving you a longer window of opportunity to finish.
If you want a traditional Katahdin summit finish then mid May is probably a good bet.

wornoutboots
04-05-2015, 12:57

That shld work!!
Good Luck & Happy Adventuring!!

Hangfire
04-05-2015, 18:16
I started early April and finished Early October, but there were a lot of young fast walkers finishing around me who started all throughout May. You can always flip flop, or just role the dice and race the cold. I loved the challenge of racing the cold towards the end, helped keep my head in the game...focused!