PDA

View Full Version : I'm 6ft tall, will 6ft long bags and pads fit me?

r0wdy
04-03-2015, 07:26
Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone had personal experience with their height being the same length as a sleeping bad or air pad. I am 6ft tall, and I was looking at a mont bell sleeping bad, and a sleeping air pad. Some of the bags and pads I'm coming across are exactly 6ft in length. I would get the 'long' version of a sleeping bad, but some of them are an extra $50USD which is about $65 CDN, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending the extra money.

Thanks!

Studlintsean
04-03-2015, 08:41
I am 5'11 and fit fine in a 6ft Montbell Bag and a 6ft Western Mountaineering Bag. I find my feet hang off my sleeping pad because I'm usually not right at the top of it but this has never been an issue.

Just Tom
04-03-2015, 08:56
I'm 6'1" and I struggle with that decision all the time...can I squeeze down to a normal size for the cost and weight savings or do I need to go up to the gear listed a 6'6" or more. For sleeping bags, I've found my feet get cold if I try to cheat, I think due to the insulation getting compacted in the foot box. For sleeping pads, I stick with the 6' ones and just live with me feet a bit off, but mostly because I don't want to buy the larger / wider pads.

jackwagon
04-03-2015, 08:58
I'm 6'-0" and I find that I need a long bag, otherwise I'm either stretching/crushing the end of the foot box, or the hood doesn't fit right. Regular pad is fine.

fwish
04-03-2015, 09:51
I agree with Just Tom. Being 6' 1" has me asking that question whenever I purchase a bag or pad. I have some regular bags that fit and some that don't come close to fitting. As a result, over the years (and there have been many of them) I have made the decision to always go with the longer bags as they always seem to fit. I am OK with regular sized pads as I am accustom to my feet hanging over the bottom of the pad (happens with bed mattresses as well).

colorado_rob
04-03-2015, 10:05
It obviously has to do with how you sleep, but I'm 6'1" and have always used 6' bags/pads, no problems whatsoever. If I completely stretch out and point my toes I can touch the end of my bag, but so what? For the record, I own mostly Western Mountaineering sleeping bags, maybe they are slightly more generous in cut? But my Mountain Hardwear bags (6') also fit me fine.

Astro
04-03-2015, 10:17
I guess that is another unseen advantage of the vertically challenged. :)

Walkintom
04-03-2015, 10:27
It matters a lot how you sleep.

I'm 5'7 and sometimes my 6' pad seems too short. Same with my quilt - middle of the night sometimes get a chill on the ears and want to pull it up over my head which works - until I shift position or stretch my toes out.

Vthiker77
04-03-2015, 15:44
Better yet. WHY wont they make a 6ftx25" pad?? I fit fine on a regular pad length wise but I'm 6ft and broad shouldered. I buy long/wide pads.

jeffmeh
04-03-2015, 16:11
Better yet. WHY wont they make a 6ftx25" pad?? I fit fine on a regular pad length wise but I'm 6ft and broad shouldered. I buy long/wide pads.

Check out the Exped Synmat UL7 in MW. I covet. :)

Walkintom
04-03-2015, 16:17
Big Agnes makes the insulated air core pads in 6' x 25".

I think they make some others in 6' x 25" as well.

4eyedbuzzard
04-03-2015, 16:35
I'm maybe 1/4" short of 6' 0" and fit fine in my Western Mountaineering Caribou and 72" Neoair.

Offshore
04-03-2015, 18:37
I guess that is another unseen advantage of the vertically challenged. :)

There's also all the tents you can choose from...

r0wdy
04-03-2015, 19:09
There's also all the tents you can choose from...

Thankfully a friend told me about the SMD Skyscape Trekker, which fits taller people very well. Other tents were another story.

Thank you everyone for your comments, sounds like I'll shell out the extra for the long bag but stick with the shorter pad, I was looking at some neoairs and the extra length was $30USD+

Odd Man Out
04-04-2015, 00:18
Consider a quilt. You can order them any length you want. Plus, you can curl up an pull it over your head if you want.