PDA

View Full Version : So what does your pack weigh?

adamussg
04-03-2015, 12:45
Hi! I start at Springer this tuesday. I've done a bunch of training, shakedowns, and prepping and I think I'm ready to go. As of now... My pack dials in at 28lbs not including water. I have about 5 days worth of food in it as well. I know everyone packs differently... But I'm wondering what the average pack weight is... I feel like I may be heavier than most. :)

Christoph
04-03-2015, 12:51
Right now with poles and including all of the clothes I'll be wearing is just under 15 pounds. This is without water and did tho. I still think I can shave another pound off too. From what I've been reading up on, right around 30 seems "average" (if there is such a thing), for a full pack. Go with whatever feels good to you though, everyone's different.

Christoph
04-03-2015, 12:52
Without water and food, not water and did. Haha

BirdBrain
04-03-2015, 12:54
Pack with 5 days food and water - 12933 grams. :D

Okay - 28 1/2 lbs.

MuddyWaters
04-03-2015, 13:01
So what does your pack weigh?
Your Fine. You may drop some weight as you go, thats fine too.
You are better than most for starting.

Havana
04-03-2015, 13:10
I'm with Muddy. A couple pounds of water puts you a touch over 30. Not too shabby for a start. There's a trailjournal of a guy with a 50 pound pack. His last journal entry was something like "Hitting the trail tomorrow". He never posted another journal entry. He probably broke down on the approach.

The trail will tell you what you need and what you don't. Send the crap home.

colorado_rob
04-03-2015, 13:23
Pretty good, subtracting 10 pounds of food for your 5 days, you're under 20 pounds. Better than average, I'd say (agree w/ Muddy). you'll get lighter.

4Days
04-03-2015, 13:35
28 lbs w/o water and food. My goal is to try to keep it under 35lbs.

bigcranky
04-03-2015, 13:39
Most of the packs I have seen in Georgia were over 30 lbs, many of them waaaaay over. Bring what you need, but your pack is fine.

fastfoxengineering
04-03-2015, 16:28
Sounds like you'll be starting with a lighter pack than most.

It really depends on how much that 5 days worth of food weighs.

If its 2lbs a day your at an 18lb base weight. Which in a few weeks, you'll prob shave another 3lbs off of that.

If its 3lbs a day your at a 13lb baseweight. And thats great.

lush242000
04-03-2015, 19:12
My pack weighs 1lb 10oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jupiterkn
04-03-2015, 19:20
I am at 27 lbs with everything but water. 4 days food. I have gone over this thing again and again.

Starting from springer on 4/16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjjones
04-03-2015, 21:08
I'm around 32lb with 5 days food and 2 liters of water.Ive got a few treats i carry with me,not needed.But everyone needs to decide for themselves what weight is worth carrying.You look pretty lite to me.

Rising3agle
04-04-2015, 08:52
a "trick" I just learned on how to lighten your pack. I had a 3 day trip on a section in VA, did some research, had me about a 27lb pack without food (it was pretty cold, and i dont have all ultralight gear - military background, old habits die hard)

anyway, as soon as i got home from that 3-day,20ish mile out-n-back, i dumped my pack and started throwing things into a small tub. stuff i thought i needed, that i definitely did not need. 6oz of a 9oz FAK. extra SS shirt. extra repair stuff.

when i was done, i had ditched almost 7lbs. probably a tad agressive, but i plan to run 2-3 more of those out-n-backs, possibly having to add something back in

nothing motivates you to figure out what you NEED vs what you like to have more than some sore shoulders and memories of all the up-direction on the trail

even if you cant get to a section on the AT, hiking or camping locally - heck, the backyard - and watching what you DON'T use will help more than any list analytics

because at the end of the day, you'll hike your own hike, and probably keep the 5oz Mora knife because you just can't live in the woods without it, when everyone else is carrying a .1oz razor blade (and borrowing your knife)

do a couple practice camps, it will help dial you in faster than you can imagine

4eyedbuzzard
04-04-2015, 08:56
Old thru-hiking rule of thumb: Make two piles. One pile of all the things you want (not necessarily need) to bring, and one pile of all your money. Take half of the first, and twice the second.

ChrisJackson
04-04-2015, 12:30
30 lbs (4 days food / 3 liters water)

Walkintom
04-04-2015, 12:58
Other than my FA/emergency items, if something doesn't get used on a trip then it generally does not go with me on the next trip unless I have a specific plan to use it.

That has helped me cut down on weight without reducing my enjoyment. I generally am about 30 pounds, fully loaded with food for 5 days and water.

BirdBrain
04-04-2015, 13:36
I am repeating myself. However, I will post it here too. When considering things I take on a hike I ask 4 questions.

1) Do I need it? If the answer is no, it stays behind. A multiuse item might make the item unnecessary as well.
2) Is it functional? It has to be able to do the job efficiently and survive a long walk.
3) Is it as light as possible? Every gram counts, but cannot make it fail question 2.
4) Does it fit my budget? There is a tipping point where grams saved are not worth dollars spent.

I get down right giddy when the lightest functional necessity is built by me out of things that I would otherwise throw away. My stove, water system container/funnel & scoop, and chair/doormat come to mind. I go nuts on calorie densities too. Having said all this, I bring 2 things that serve no logical purpose. I lug an avatar and one item that will remain private (no, it ain't a gun).

Turk6177
04-04-2015, 15:07
I am at 18.5 lbs without food and water.

Jake2c
04-08-2015, 01:12
I am at about 35 with food and water. Some of the stuff I could probably do without but I am taking what I need to enjoy my time on the trail.

Buttercup01
04-11-2015, 02:12
Summer winter is a big question. in my local area what temperature is range from 0 to 50 during the winter months, I find there's many layers needed to keep warm. When it's 45 degrees or above I generally wear light shirt and carry a thermal shirt and jacket just in case. It's a balance between freezing at night and sweating during the day.

squeezebox
04-11-2015, 04:44
Don't forget safety 1st. At 50* it's flat out dangerous to not bring a shelter or raingear. Bring proper blister care so blisters don't get infected, duct tape does not count as proper. Clothing and sleeping gear appropriate for the temps you'll get plus a little overkill. A Sawyer weighs 2 oz, cheap insursane.

Del Q
04-11-2015, 07:42
My most recent hike was from Springer to Franklin, met a lot of thru hikers...........I was pretty surprised that average pack weight was definitely higher than 35 pounds, possibly 40

I was at about 25 all in which is a new low for me, had back surgery last fall and did all that I could to thin things out. 2 re-supply's in 8 1/2 days helped, from experience and this trip as well, take less clothes.

jdc5294
04-11-2015, 17:55
Feb 19th-Aug 10th thru hike in 2012, my weight without food and water was 13 pounds, I think the heaviest it got was 27.

squeezebox
04-11-2015, 18:53
My guess there's a bunch of folks out there who are leaving out certain things to reduce what they claim as pack wt.. Like maybe putting the monster battery in your hip belt so you can subtract it from pack wt. If you're wearing your rain gear it doesn't count as pack wt. but if it's in your pack it does count. That's just too goofy to not laugh about.
If it's in you pack, around your neck, or on your body you're still carrying it. Just be honest about it.

Christoph
04-11-2015, 19:29
I just re-weighed everything except food and water and mine is now at a solid 21 pounds. This includes the clothes I'm wearing, boots, and hiking poles. so that's not too bad. I'll be pretty comfortable for the most part. Even have dinner cold weather stuff as well, just in case.

Christoph
04-11-2015, 19:32
Even have "added" cold weather stuff as well. Haha

The Splitter
04-11-2015, 20:29
I just weighed my pack in preparation for our trip later this month and it weighed in at 34 LBS including four days food and two liters of water. I'd really like to shave off four lbs but I have no idea how I can do that as I'm already pretty much down to essentials.

MuddyWaters
04-11-2015, 20:38
I just weighed my pack in preparation for our trip later this month and it weighed in at 34 LBS including four days food and two liters of water. I'd really like to shave off four lbs but I have no idea how I can do that as I'm already pretty much down to essentials.

Post your gear list and let people comment.

I will probably go for a 100 mile walk in early May to get out and stay in shape for a 3 wk trip in late summer. My pack will weigh 6.5 lbs without food and water. With water, for 5-6 days it will only weigh 17 lbs or so. I carry UL type stuff. But even if I carried normal, I cannot see anyway I could have a pack over 12 lbs except in winter. Once you reach a mindset of what is truly necessary and ONLY take that stuff, its easy.

Bug protection, framed pack, and cushy inflatable pad are necessary to me cause Im a wuss. Others that are hardier will carry much less than me.

mattjv89
04-11-2015, 23:33
I'm at about an 18 pound base right now so 22-32 total, the high side being with 5 days of food and 2 liters of water. I agree that 30 just out of town is the typical average out here.

A few common themes have come up in the folks with heavy (I'll qualify that as greater than 40) packs. Too much water. I've seen people carry as much as 5 liters or 10 pounds of water. Maybe necessary on parts of the PCT, AT not so much. Too much food. Usually results from way over packing mail drops or huge care packages from well intentioned loved ones. If anyone is asking about sending you care packages make sure they understand what a reasonable food weight is, just a few weeks in I've seen multiple scenes of "ugh, what am I supposed to do with 10 pounds of trail mix, a block of fudge and 30 Starbucks via packets". The other high food weight I've seen is people intending to save money by skipping town stops and packing 1-2 weeks of food at a time. The miles come a lot slower and harder doing that and doesn't have to be expensive, thumb your way in grab a meal hit the grocery store and scoot back out. I've seen a couple huge battery charge packs, unless you are doing some heavy duty filming you absolutely don't need a 15,000 mAh power brick. I have a 6400 that weighs 5 oz and will give an iphone just over 2 charges, it has been more than adequate. A lot of folks carried big Rambo style knives in the beginning, those are going away but still out there.

Harrison Bergeron
04-12-2015, 09:00
Base pack weight: 20.5
Belly bag: 3.0
Items worn: 6.6
2L water and for food 5 days: 12.4
Total skin-out weight: 42.5

I could cut three pounds if I left the spare fuel canister, spare lighter, shorts, altimeter watch, gaiters, trowel, ground cloth, nail clippers, sun block, repellent, compass, maps, useable knife, cellphone charger, and radio.

I'm not going to do that.

I could cut another pound by switching to a 3/4 length Neoair without a pump sack, and leaving behind the bag liner and stuff sack for my $300 ultralight bag.

I'm not going to do that either.

Heck, I could cut a half pound if I just quit drinking coffee. That's REALLY not happening. In fact, I just might add 12 oz for a flask of good Scotch.

It ain't all about the walking. Living well without relying on the kindness of strangers requires a little more work and a few extra pounds.

Slo-go'en
04-12-2015, 11:23
My pack weighs about 3 pounds. The stuff which goes in it weighs 15 +/- a few pounds depending on the season.

The Splitter
04-12-2015, 11:47
Post your gear list and let people comment.

I will probably go for a 100 mile walk in early May to get out and stay in shape for a 3 wk trip in late summer. My pack will weigh 6.5 lbs without food and water. With water, for 5-6 days it will only weigh 17 lbs or so. I carry UL type stuff. But even if I carried normal, I cannot see anyway I could have a pack over 12 lbs except in winter. Once you reach a mindset of what is truly necessary and ONLY take that stuff, its easy.

Bug protection, framed pack, and cushy inflatable pad are necessary to me cause Im a wuss. Others that are hardier will carry much less than me.

Let me know what yall think here...

Essentials:
-Pack: Arc Teryx Khyber 50
-Bag: Marmot Hydrogen 30 Long
-Pad: Thermarest
-Thermarest large camp pillow
-Stove: Snow Peak Litemax Titanium.
-Cookware: Snowpeak Titanium Cook and Save, Snowpeak Titanium fork and knife set.
-First Aid Kit: Medical tape, Coban wrap, 4x4's, 3x3's, 5 band aids each (small and large). Two small vials of super glue, emergency blanket. Ibuprofen, chap stick, Mole Skin.

Other stuff:

- 2 extra 250 gram fuel canisters
- Leatherman multi tool
- Mini Fire Starter logs.
-Fire stone
-Spare batteries for flashlight
- Clothes: 2 extra socks, 1 extra underwear, 1 extra shirt. Thermal underwear, hardshell, soft shell (depending on season)
-Toiletries: small toothbrush, toothpaste, travel size soap, nail clippers, two rolls toilet paper.
-Small plastic shovel
-Five days food, 2 liters water.

Places I'm thinking I can cut weight are...

-1 spare fuel canister instead of 2
-Sandals (for when we set up camp for the night)
- ditch the Leatherman, I've never actually used it and I'm not sure what I would even use it for.
-Lose the fire stone, I carry two lighters.

I could probably shave some weight off in food for sure by carrying lighter food but for me good food on the trail is worth it's weight. I eat oatmeal and peanut butter in the morning and usually Annies Delux Mac and cheese for lunch with some kind of meat mixed in (either tuna or pepperoni) with dinner being a Zatarians rice dish with pepperoni.

Slo-go'en
04-12-2015, 12:08
How does all that come up to 34 pounds? You don't even have a tent listed.

You can drop all the extras: At most I carry 1/2 roll of TP, one fuel canister, loose the leatherman (so long as you have a good knife), fire starter log, emergency blanket. That's not going to save you a whole lot of weight, so you might just have to start replacing gear with lighter stuff.

Essentials:
-Cookware: Snowpeak Titanium Cook and Save, Snowpeak Titanium fork and knife set.
-First Aid Kit: Medical tape, Coban wrap, 4x4's, 3x3's, 5 band aids each (small and large). Two small vials of super glue, emergency blanket. Ibuprofen, chap stick, Mole Skin.

Other stuff:

- Leatherman multi tool
-Fire stone
- Clothes: 2 extra socks, 1 extra underwear, 1 extra shirt. Thermal underwear, hardshell, soft shell (depending on season)
-Toiletries: small toothbrush, toothpaste, travel size soap, nail clippers, two rolls toilet paper.
-Small plastic shovel

- ditch the Leatherman, I've never actually used it and I'm not sure what I would even use it for.

I could probably shave some weight off in food for sure by carrying lighter food but for me good food on the trail is worth it's weight. I eat oatmeal and peanut butter in the morning and usually Annies Delux Mac and cheese for lunch with some kind of meat mixed in (either tuna or pepperoni) with dinner being a Zatarians rice dish with pepperoni.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 12:35

Essentials:

Other stuff:

- Leatherman multi tool
-Fire stone
-Small plastic shovel

Plan you fuel , and batteries, carefully and you wont need spares. Its only a couple days between towns on the AT.
Sandals arent necessary. You might like them. You might want them. Thats fine. Wants, and necessities, are different things.
No leatherman. Small sharp knife is all thats needed.
I dont even know what a fire stone is, so Im pretty sure its not needed.
I can go 2 weeks on 1oz of toilet paper in a ziplock. two rolls toilet paper is a lot.
No extra clothing,( or anything for that matter) , You need 2 pr socks so you can rotate. Thats not spare or extra if it has a definite use and need.
You dont need a fork and knife set, all you need is a light plastic spoon.
Thats a pretty big and heavy pot I think.
Dont need nail clippers on the trail. they are available in town.

squeezebox
04-12-2015, 19:11
Rei flash pillow is much lighter but also smaller.

squeezebox
04-12-2015, 19:16

I would like to hear what you do not include in your pack wt. Seems to vary so much from person to person it pretty much makes the term "packweight"
meaningless. MHO

BirdBrain
04-12-2015, 19:46
My guess there's a bunch of folks out there who are leaving out certain things to reduce what they claim as pack wt.. Like maybe putting the monster battery in your hip belt so you can subtract it from pack wt. If you're wearing your rain gear it doesn't count as pack wt. but if it's in your pack it does count. That's just too goofy to not laugh about.
If it's in you pack, around your neck, or on your body you're still carrying it. Just be honest about it.

I would like to hear what you do not include in your pack wt. Seems to vary so much from person to person it pretty much makes the term "packweight"
meaningless. MHO

I agree that people exaggerate. This fact makes it tough for inquirers to gauge reality and have good benchmarks. However, the only pack weight that I obsess over is my own. And man do I ever obsess over it. My pack weight is 8890.4 grams. My skin out weight is 10627.4 grams. If I had spent more on my big 4, it would be much lower.

What someone else claims to have or actually have is meaningless to me. I am certain there are people carrying twice as much or half as much as me. As long as we are all happy, that should be all that matters.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 22:31
I dont really care what anyone else carries. So i dont talk much about what i carry. Never on trail, ever.
I just say that all a long distance hiker NEEDS was worked out to a science long ago by some very smart people. Rest of us are just followers.
Most carry a lot of WANTS
Some, buy themself a way to carry a few WANTS at a low weight today with $$$.
But overridingly i think, many bought heavier rei gear first, and changing that later is a $$$ battle.

I enjoy covering miles. If i can get out for a week or 3 these days, i like to cover distances and see stuff. Packing light allows that. Its not for everyone, its not a necessity.it doesnt take as much skill as some think either, mostly just common sense and caution.

The Splitter
04-13-2015, 09:07
Plan you fuel , and batteries, carefully and you wont need spares. Its only a couple days between towns on the AT.
Sandals arent necessary. You might like them. You might want them. Thats fine. Wants, and necessities, are different things.
No leatherman. Small sharp knife is all thats needed.
I dont even know what a fire stone is, so Im pretty sure its not needed.
I can go 2 weeks on 1oz of toilet paper in a ziplock. two rolls toilet paper is a lot.
No extra clothing,( or anything for that matter) , You need 2 pr socks so you can rotate. Thats not spare or extra if it has a definite use and need.
You dont need a fork and knife set, all you need is a light plastic spoon.
Thats a pretty big and heavy pot I think.
Dont need nail clippers on the trail. they are available in town.

One of the problems with the extra fuel I carry is the Zatarians rice dishes I cook for dinner require me to simmer them for 20-25 min, the Annies deluxe mac and cheese requires a ten min boil and my oatmeal also requires a quick boil in the AM, so I'm pretty heavy on the stove use and that concerns me. Do you think that kind of use at three meals a day I would be ok on 250 gram can for 4 days?

The TP I can drop to

The Splitter
04-13-2015, 09:20
I accidentally hit post before I was done....

The TP I can definitely drop to one roll, the multi tool can go. I carry a good quality fixed blade knife. The fire stone is one of those flint stones you can scratch the knife on to start a fire. The sandals can go, I think that's at least lb there. My Snowpeak cook and save pot is def not heavy, a little big but it's very light (it's pretty much titanium foil) and I need the size for my meals. As for the fork and spoon set, I can ditch the fork and just carry the spoon but that's not going to save me much, they're titanium and between the two I can't hardly feel them in my hand.

I think my starting weight is also a little heavier because of my pack. The Arc Teryx Khyber 50 weighs almost four lbs (3.96) empty. It's one of their military packs and while extremely durable, it's not their lightest. The comparable civilian pack weighs over a lb less.

My food is also heavy but I need that. I could probably save about two or three lbs by eating less delicious food but I think I'll take the weight there.

I didn't list a shelter because I hike with my GF most of the time and she carries our tent.

mudsocks
04-13-2015, 11:57
One of the problems with the extra fuel I carry is the Zatarians rice dishes I cook for dinner require me to simmer them for 20-25 min, the Annies deluxe mac and cheese requires a ten min boil and my oatmeal also requires a quick boil in the AM, so I'm pretty heavy on the stove use and that concerns me. Do you think that kind of use at three meals a day I would be ok on 250 gram can for 4 days?

The TP I can drop to

You don't need to simmer for 25 minutes. Make yourself a reflectix cozy for your cook pot or freezer ziplocks. Bring water to a boil add your meal and wait.

30543 30544

Ziplock method makes for easier clean up.

I accidentally hit post before I was done....

The TP I can definitely drop to one roll, the multi tool can go. I carry a good quality fixed blade knife. The fire stone is one of those flint stones you can scratch the knife on to start a fire. The sandals can go, I think that's at least lb there. My Snowpeak cook and save pot is def not heavy, a little big but it's very light (it's pretty much titanium foil) and I need the size for my meals. As for the fork and spoon set, I can ditch the fork and just carry the spoon but that's not going to save me much, they're titanium and between the two I can't hardly feel them in my hand.

An entire roll of TP is a lot even for two people. A bic lighter and matches are fine. Fork is unnecessary as is the fire rock. A few ounces here or there is what eventually add up to become pounds.

Havana
04-13-2015, 15:43
Definitely practice making Mac and Cheese or anything else that requires "boiling" at home to get both the time and the amount of water right. As octo says, you only need to boil the water (+/- 2 min) and just simmer your meal in the cozy until it's done. I only carry one full fuel canister (don't let those crazy alcohol stove guys talk you into the dark side) when I'm on the trail (though once in a while I'll carry two half full ones).

RED-DOG
04-13-2015, 16:01
it depends on what time of year it is, if it's winter my pack weighs around 30lbs maybe a little over but if it's warm weather my pack weighs around 20lbs to 23lbs, 30lbs is my limit so i try to keep it under 30lbs.

30lbs is the average of pack weight some a little under, some alot over, but you and everybody else will learn to drop weight while on the trail.

remember the lighter your pack the more enjoyable it's gonna be.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 16:02
This crazy alcohol stove guy just brings his water to a boil, pours boiling water into mac-n-cheeze in freezer bag, and puts bag into cozy. Don't let no crazy canister guy talk you into boiling water for 2 minutes. :D

Hoofit
04-13-2015, 16:11
Old thru-hiking rule of thumb: Make two piles. One pile of all the things you want (not necessarily need) to bring, and one pile of all your money. Take half of the first, and twice the second.
So simple and yet so true !

K.Keck
04-13-2015, 19:33
On a section hike of the Georgia section last month, I experimented with what I would like to take on the AT if I did a thru hike and I got my pack weight down to 19.5 pounds with water, fuel, and food for 7 days. I just switched to a ultralight cook-set and prioritized the big three and with that it was easy enough to get down to that weight.

KK

Harrison Bergeron
04-14-2015, 08:51

Essentials:

Other stuff:

- Leatherman multi tool
-Fire stone
-Small plastic shovel

You're missing:

Tent
Pack cover or liner (or both)
Stuff sacks
Plastic trashbag to keep you down sleeping bag dry
Water bottles
Water purification
Pot cozy or large insulated coffee mug.
OTC meds (like Imodium and Benedril)
Ziplocks for food and trash
Hand sanitizer
Bear bagging kit
Compass and maps
Bug spray
Head net
Something dry to sit on
Flashlight or headlamp
Phone and charger?

You could swap a few things out. You don't need that much fuel or TP and I can't imagine starting a fire with a flint, but I'd be more worried about hiking without a shelter than cutting down on TP to save an ounce. Regardless, you'll still be close to 40 lbs when you're done.

Anyone who tells you they're prepared for 5 days on the trail with a 10 lb pack doesn't own scale. Do the math: you need 2 quarts of water just to get you to then next water source, plus 2 lbs of food per day to fuel your 6,000 calorie days. That's 14 pounds right there, before you even add a pack to put them in.

Take what you need to be safe and comfortable.

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 09:05
There have been several suggestion about TP. I am surprised more people don't use this option.

http://video.drugstore.com/v/1830485074/kleenex-facial-tissue-wallet-size-3-pack-review-drugstore-com/

There are several advantages. The shape makes it easier to carry. The package protects the tissues. 3-ply is great. Premeasured quantities. It is easy to calculate amount needed. Yes, I count squares, but have a safety factor and always have some left over at resupply points.

colorado_rob
04-14-2015, 09:05
You're missing:

Tent
Pack cover or liner (or both)
Stuff sacks
Plastic trashbag to keep you down sleeping bag dry
Water bottles
Water purification
Pot cozy or large insulated coffee mug.
OTC meds (like Imodium and Benedril)
Ziplocks for food and trash
Hand sanitizer
Bear bagging kit
Compass and maps
Bug spray
Head net
Something dry to sit on
Flashlight or headlamp
Phone and charger?

You could swap a few things out. You don't need that much fuel or TP and I can't imagine starting a fire with a flint, but I'd be more worried about hiking without a shelter than cutting down on TP to save an ounce. Regardless, you'll still be close to 40 lbs when you're done.

Anyone who tells you they're prepared for 5 days on the trail with a 10 lb pack doesn't own scale. Do the math: you need 2 quarts of water just to get you to then next water source, plus 2 lbs of food per day to fuel your 6,000 calorie days. That's 14 pounds right there, before you even add a pack to put them in.

Take what you need to be safe and comfortable.Most of those things are optional, depending on your style (but my style includes some of them).

Not sure why some folks don't get the concept of a "base weight" for a pack, basically the total pack weight minus food, water and other consumables; it really is a simple concept, yet the concept itself is constantly argued on WB, which is fine. Mine (my base weight) is right about at 10 pounds (probably about 21 pounds total for a 5-day stretch, 1.7 pounds of food a day and a couple pounds of water), and yes, I own a very accurate scale. I burn right at about 3500 calories a day (verified after many decades of backpacking), nowhere near 6000; I would say only very heavy people come anywhere near that figure.

K.Keck
04-14-2015, 14:10
My opinion on TP is to bring 1 wet wipe per day and thats it. I have gone the past 3 years of wilderness travel without bring one square of toliet paper. 1 wet wipe and some leaves, sticks, or rocks. Sounds rough, but it is not as bad as it seems. Snowballs are the best TP including normal TP as well. But that is just my opinion.

Another Kevin
04-14-2015, 14:16
There have been several suggestion about TP. I am surprised more people don't use this option.

http://video.drugstore.com/v/1830485074/kleenex-facial-tissue-wallet-size-3-pack-review-drugstore-com/

There are several advantages. The shape makes it easier to carry. The package protects the tissues. 3-ply is great. Premeasured quantities. It is easy to calculate amount needed. Yes, I count squares, but have a safety factor and always have some left over at resupply points.

If you've ever had one of those folded packs explode in a high wind, you'll go back to a roll.

I bring part of a roll, with the core removed so that I can pull sheets from the center. I take a roll from home that's been used to the point where it will fit snugly into a newspaper bag..

Another Kevin
04-14-2015, 14:30

I carry a lighter in my repair kit in case I mislay my tinderbox (which hasn't happened yet). The tinderbox has my fire steel and some Vaseline-soaked cotton. (The box itself is an Altoids tin.)

I'd sooner lose the second lighter and keep the fire steel. I know that with my tinderbox and fire steel I can have a fire going in minutes, even if I've just fallen in a river. I put that scenario to the test in October. I did indeed fall in near-freezing whitewater, about nine miles into a 40-mile roadless section, and needed a fire when I got out. The firesteel and tinder worked as advertised.

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 14:48
If you've ever had one of those folded packs explode in a high wind, you'll go back to a roll.

I bring part of a roll, with the core removed so that I can pull sheets from the center. I take a roll from home that's been used to the point where it will fit snugly into a newspaper bag..

You are scaring me AK. It is normally a bit sheltered where I do my business. I guess I am a bit more shy than you. That package is quite secure. I suppose if I was on top of Madison I might have some worries. :D

Another Kevin
04-14-2015, 16:44
You are scaring me AK. It is normally a bit sheltered where I do my business. I guess I am a bit more shy than you. That package is quite secure. I suppose if I was on top of Madison I might have some worries. :D

Oh, I'm quite shy indeed, and seek shelter, the same as you.

I treat my water, wash my hands scrupulously, and still get a tender tummy at times. Sometimes I account myself fortunate when Nature allows me enough time to undo my pack waistbelt and my britches. If that happens, I have to take the weather as it comes. (In that event, of course I dig a hole to deal with the situation after the fact.)

Perhaps those little folded packs are better made than they were in the 1970's, which is when I gave up on them. :)