PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who avoid shelters...

Hot5nics
04-03-2015, 16:21
Where did you stay during your thru-hike between Erwin and Damascus?

Don H
04-03-2015, 16:29
Any flat spot along the trail that I find just before dark, preferably near a water source.

Hot5nics
04-03-2015, 17:34
Kinda thinkin that is the route I will go. I was just seeing if anyone had any recommendations.

map man
04-03-2015, 18:54
Doll Flats, a few miles before a NOBO gets to US 19E, looked inviting, though I didn't camp there myself. A few miles after US 19E, shortly after the short side trail to Jones Falls, there are good spots near the Elk River. A spot where I did camp and enjoyed a lot was shortly after a NOBO crosses US 321 outside Hampton -- the trail starts heading away from Watauga Lake heading toward Watauga Shelter and a nice level area near a small creek is shortly after you leave the lake. All of these spots are handy to water.

Some folks like to camp on the balds -- there are several between Erwin and 19E, but there is no water handy and they can get really windy so I wasn't tempted.

I tented around 100 yards away from several shelters in the section you mention -- had company when I wanted it but was far enough away to avoid the rodents and snoring -- but it sounds like maybe this is not what you had in mind.

Hikes in Rain
04-03-2015, 19:08
Just FYI, unfortunately the campsite between 321 and Watauga Shelter (and the shelter itself) are closed to camping because of a momma bear and her cubs. You're not even supposed to stop or eat in that area. I think the ban is until this December.

Hangfire
04-04-2015, 02:18
Just FYI, unfortunately the campsite between 321 and Watauga Shelter (and the shelter itself) are closed to camping because of a momma bear and her cubs. You're not even supposed to stop or eat in that area. I think the ban is until this December.

Oh yeah I remember passing that place last year, the shelter journal was full of harrowing stories of angry shelter dwellers peppering the bears with rocks all night trying to keep them away. As I recall this shelter had kind of a chincy bear pull and the little bears could shimmy right up it to grab food bags. There were also several people who avoided the shelter and stealth camped and got snagged as well. I made it through the bear gauntlet but came down with noro virus at the double spring shelter. My advice to avoid noro is DO NOT USE the hand sanitizer provided at the shelters and instead scrub your hands with soap and water before eating and after privy trips.

MichaelRedBeard
04-04-2015, 05:10
Why do people not like shelters? What is their reasoning?

Donde
04-04-2015, 05:32
1. Mice
2. Established Camp Sites with cooking smells are more likely to attract bears.
3. Snoring
4.Noise in general
5. That one guy who always gets up super early and makes noise.
6.That guy who comes in super late and makes noise.
7. The times when I want get up super early or hike super late, and I don't want to disturb others
8. Some people find the ground more comfortable than the shelter boards.
9. If it is buggy the shelters are not fully enclosed.
10. If you are going to be a victim of a crime on the AT (which is very unlikely) it will likely happen at a shelter.
11. The occasional shady drifter living in the shelter.
12. The fact that everything that makes the trail easier, and require less self reliance, increases the amount of the wrong kind of hikers on the trail.
13. You know where nobody ever smokes, drinks, plays music, mooches, or lets their dog run wild? In my tent.

I often eat dinner at a shelter, socialize a bit, get water, and hike out to find a campsite.

Starchild
04-04-2015, 07:15

Addressed above, but I will add when I started my thru I wanted shelter space and always got it. Part of the many trail magic that I was blessed with. Even when full and even with most tenting spots taken someone would unprompted decide they would rather tent and was packing up when I got there and was able to claim it - this still amazes me.

But during the nora-virus zone the suggesting was do not go near the shelters, so almost everyone camped. I found that I liked it better. It was more comfortable and I slept better in my own 'space'. From there on I rarely used shelters except for really bad weather, or on occasion a really good shelter setup.

Don H
04-04-2015, 07:54
Between Erwin and Damascus I camped at;

Cherry Gap Shelter
Ash Gap Campsite
Doll Flats Campsite
A random site along the trail 20 miles north of Doll Flats
Kinkora Hostel
Vandeventer Shelter
Double Spring Gap Campsite

I never stayed in the shelters but camped nearby.

wornoutboots
04-04-2015, 08:11
Unaka Mountain, where Bigfoot lives :). Seriously, Unaka mountain is a very "eerie", unique place to camp under the HUGE pine trees. For me a camp spot is a special place, so I normally camel up at a water source 1.5-2 hours before dark then find one that offers you what you want. Like a sunrise, sunset, cool surrounding trees, out of the wind (if needed) near a stream, etc. The stretch has @ 30 "Noted" spots in my guide & I remember some really nice ones that weren't mentioned. You'll have plenty of choices!! Enjoy!

* If the weathers right, Greasy Ridge between Carvers Gap & Overmountain shelter is a nice bald as well

**WARNING** I would not recommend camping at Beauty Spot, it has a reputation as a party spot for late noght locals & there have been problems there between hikers & locals.

Donde
04-04-2015, 08:16
But during the nora-virus

Oh forget to list NOBOvirus that is another good reason.

Hot5nics
04-04-2015, 17:31
I must agree I avoid shelters for all Donde said.
Thanks to all for the location suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian039
04-04-2015, 19:25
There are almost always good camping spots a half-mile or so before and after water sources.

NY HIKER 50
04-05-2015, 02:11
1. Mice
2. Established Camp Sites with cooking smells are more likely to attract bears.
3. Snoring
4.Noise in general
5. That one guy who always gets up super early and makes noise.
6.That guy who comes in super late and makes noise.
7. The times when I want get up super early or hike super late, and I don't want to disturb others
8. Some people find the ground more comfortable than the shelter boards.
9. If it is buggy the shelters are not fully enclosed.
10. If you are going to be a victim of a crime on the AT (which is very unlikely) it will likely happen at a shelter.
11. The occasional shady drifter living in the shelter.
12. The fact that everything that makes the trail easier, and require less self reliance, increases the amount of the wrong kind of hikers on the trail.
13. You know where nobody ever smokes, drinks, plays music, mooches, or lets their dog run wild? In my tent.

I often eat dinner at a shelter, socialize a bit, get water, and hike out to find a campsite.

I agree with the above. However, without my c-pap I would blow the roof and walls off any shelter I would happen to be at. Anyone within a half mile radius would suffer hearing loss.

joec
04-06-2015, 08:57

I switched to hammocks after wearing out between two shelters on one hike. I like the ability to stop when I find a two well space trees.

RED-DOG
04-06-2015, 09:52
Any flat spot along the trail that I find just before dark, preferably near a water source.
same here unless it was rainning then i would stay in a shelter this is the way i was for the entire trail.

Seatbelt
04-06-2015, 10:27
A few good spots come to Mind: Weedy Gap/old orchard about a mile north of Iron Mountain Gap; a spot just north of 19E in the field before the Isaacs Cemetery; a good spot a mile north of Vandeventer shelter (with a nice view); a good spot just south of 421 at Shady Gap.