PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Maps

Dwill1000
04-04-2015, 22:53
I have not decided what maps to carry. Would appreciate your thoughts. What about those pocket-size maps AWOL puts out? Do they provide enough detail? I'll be carrying a Kindle - but have not been able to find computer-based maps. I'll also carry an Android-based smart phone.

Traveler
04-05-2015, 07:39
I get the ATC "Thru Hikers Companion" with paper maps. These have all the information you would need to do sections or the full trail. The ATC gets funding from the sale of these maps as well, which to me is very important.

There are several electronic mapping software programs you can use like Guthook, however I am of the old school and prefer paper maps. They don't require signal, battery power, or fail due to getting wet or being dropped when I need it most. That said, it really depends on the level of dependence you want to have on electronics, your tolerance for risk and the level of consequences resulting with failure.

Tundracamper
04-05-2015, 07:48
There are several electronic mapping software programs you can use like Guthook, however I am of the old school and prefer paper maps. They don't require signal, battery power, or fail due to getting wet or being dropped when I need it most. That said, it really depends on the level of dependence you want to have on electronics, your tolerance for risk and the level of consequences resulting with failure.

While I agree that you need a paper map that always works, the "AT Hiker" app from Guthook will tell you pretty much exactly where you are on the trail. It will also tell you distance, for example, to the next water source or shelter. Yes, it uses battery power. However, if you only turn your phone on when using the app, you can usually go several days on a single charge, if not longer. The AT Hiker app is great for planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Traveler
04-05-2015, 08:59
While I agree that you need a paper map that always works, the "AT Hiker" app from Guthook will tell you pretty much exactly where you are on the trail. It will also tell you distance, for example, to the next water source or shelter. Yes, it uses battery power. However, if you only turn your phone on when using the app, you can usually go several days on a single charge, if not longer. The AT Hiker app is great for planning.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't disagree and understand how easy electronics can make navigation. There is nothing wrong with keeping electronics in the mix and having a back up paper system, unless you do not know how to use the map and compass together. This should be basic to trail craft and anyone who spends time in the woods should have a passing familiarity of how to use these simple tools to find where they are, where they are going, and how many miles to that goal. Admittedly this is my personal decision and probably in the minority of the hiking community.

After 40 years or so, I still find a certain satisfaction of plotting an overland course on a map and arriving at the point I set out to reach in the time I had estimated using a map, compass and a pencil. This allows me a bit of freedom from the electronic conveniences we are surrounded with in the paved world, relying on myself and skills I have learned or in process of trying to master along the way. There is a certain ring of purity to this as well, which for me (and others of similar thinking) adds to the experience.

Dwill1000
04-05-2015, 10:11
Honestly, I am an old-school paper map and compass guy. I earned my Boy Scout merit badges for map and compass use and wilderness survival a very long time ago. I still feel most comfortable with a good old fashioned (highly inaccurate) USGS quadrangle. For the AT, though, using USGS quadrangles means hundreds if not thousands of paper maps! I guess I'm looking for that ideal combination of maps that are low-cost, low-bulk, and with sufficient detail.

Rocket Jones
04-05-2015, 10:17
Kindle maps are useless (experience speaking here). A lot of people carry electronic versions of maps and like them, but I've never tried anything that I liked as much as paper.

Walkintom
04-05-2015, 10:23
Electronics are great for: turn left now.

Paper maps are great for: Ok, I am here. I want to go over there. Hmm, there's a river, I better make for that bridge cause I don't fancy fording.

You can get by on the AT without either but I enjoyed the pocket profile maps for understanding what's directly ahead as far as elevation change and the maps in the guide book for finding businesses in towns. Great conveniences.

Five Tango
04-05-2015, 14:12
Honestly, I am an old-school paper map and compass guy. I earned my Boy Scout merit badges for map and compass use and wilderness survival a very long time ago. I still feel most comfortable with a good old fashioned (highly inaccurate) USGS quadrangle. For the AT, though, using USGS quadrangles means hundreds if not thousands of paper maps! I guess I'm looking for that ideal combination of maps that are low-cost, low-bulk, and with sufficient detail.

I am also an old fashioned paper map person.I have navigated with GPS and it is truly a convenience.Paper maps are a necessity if you want a fail safe system.Of course you could lose either one so some sort of backup would be in order.Anti Gravity Gear sold me a fine MapDana with lots of useful information and it is WATERPROOF.I actually ran it thru the washer and then ironed it out nice and flat last week.Made it look new!The paper map I currently have is the "Appalachian Trail Map 1&2,and map 3&4.Each folds down to about a 3x5 size and feels quite water resistant.There is plenty of easy to read information on these maps.I also have an AWOL book 2014 with lots of good information available.Not everyone trusts electronics;including the FAA.

BirdBrain
04-05-2015, 14:29
Paper maps for me. I have a minimal dependence on electronics on the trail. I send a daily text, take tons of pictures with my DSLR and use my Petzl ELite to look at my $10 tiny strapless Casio watch when I wake up in the middle of the night. No extra batteries of solar chargers for me. Any over dependence on electronics makes paper a much lighter option.

fredmugs
04-06-2015, 07:25
When I carry maps I have a tendency to memorize them and start focusing on reaching certain points by certain times. Now when I don't carry maps I seem to have a more enjoyable time and just getting there when I get there.

fredmugs
04-06-2015, 07:27
Paper maps for me. I have a minimal dependence on electronics on the trail. I send a daily text, take tons of pictures with my DSLR and use my Petzl ELite to look at my $10 tiny strapless Casio watch when I wake up in the middle of the night. No extra batteries of solar chargers for me. Any over dependence on electronics makes paper a much lighter option.Phone + Camera + Paper Maps = Not lighter

BirdBrain
04-06-2015, 09:40
Phone + Camera + Paper Maps = Not lighter

I agree.... if you use your phone as a camera. Many do. I cannot argue that. However, if you use your phone as a camera and a gps, you will use a lot of electricity. I like to hike for an average of more than a week between charging opportunities and I like to take better pictures than my phone can take. Phone technology is blurring the lines (sorry for the pun), but they have not quite caught up to my DSLR. Given that I will lug a heavy camera, the paper maps remain the lighter option for me. I purposely mentioned my camera in my list expecting someone to give the rebuttal you did. There should be 2 formulas, depending on your photo quality preference. Map preference plus picture preference create 2 variables.

Phone/camera + Paper maps is lighter than Phone/camera + Map app + Trail recharging options

Phone + Camera + Paper maps is lighter than Phone + Camera + Map app + Trail recharging options

I suppose if you are only in the woods for an overnighter, you might not need a recharge. I go out for 10 days at times and my camera and phone never run low. And we have not even mentioned music and games and using a phone as a light yet. It is all just a choice. However, paper maps remain the lightest choice.

Fredt4
04-07-2015, 02:39
Android phone + Backcountry Navigator (Android app) has all the maps you need. Google maps for towns. Since you'll be carrying your phone anyways (few don't) there's no added weight, except you'll want to carry 2 or three extra batteries, so yes there's a bit of extra weight. Probably not as much a a guide book or paper maps. Added advantage is your phone will have GPS capabilities. Paper Maps are old school and not really necessary on the AT, but I love maps having learn to use them very early. Paper Maps usually have too much extra, so they're not particularly good for a linear trail. Just don't play games or other unnecessary activities on the phone and battery life isn't really a problem.

teefal
04-07-2015, 09:31
Is Backcountry Navigator better than Guthook?

Cuacoatchoo
04-08-2015, 13:18
For me atleast, 90% of what I use on the an AT section is the elevation profile map with shelters and watersources marked. It's just faster to read during the day. You can count hill/mountain tops as progress checkpoints throughout the day.

A more detailed topo is still prudent in case you take any of the short vista detours or need to cut quickly for town.

The depending on where you are on the trail, different map brands are more updated in different places. For 1 stop shop, I'd buy the $70 nat geo software and print off my maps for the whole trail. You'd spend way more than that buying individual maps off amazon. Print what you need and mail it in your maildrops so you're not carrying what you don't need.

Only appeal for the guthook app imo, are the water source and shelter reports. Depending on what season you hike, watersources can freeze or go dry. Shelters can collapse, or be occupied by bears. Those instances are pretty rare though on the AT. Probably not worth the battery life.

If you rely on a battery powered option, it can work great. But if it fails and you need help, people are going to make fun of you.

wornoutboots
04-08-2015, 13:23
I've never carried a map, I find a guide books is all I need.

Fredt4
04-08-2015, 21:44
Is Backcountry Navigator better than Guthook?

I'm not vary familiar with guthook, but at 9 x $8.99 I'd would pass on Guthook. Backcountry Navigator is not particular to the AT so you can use it for other trails. With Backcountry Navigator you upload a gpx file and you can add or delete waypoints as you wish. Guthook seems more of a trail guide combinecombined with GPS an elevation profile. Was not able to determine if you're able to add or delete or edit waypoints with Guthook. I love to add, delete & edit waypoints. I uploaded a GPX file for the JMT and deleted most of the waypoints as I found them either redundant (based on the topic may) or lacking in meaningful info. I edited most of the other waypoints and added a few more. Based on this I'll say that BC Navigator is better because it's:
1. Cheaper
2. More map options
3. Add waypoints
4. Delete waypoints
5. Edit waypoints

But mostly I'll say it's better because it's a powerful tool that I can use for other activities & trails. I didn't buy my camping gear just for the AT, so I'll not buy a map app just for the AT. Perhaps the best combo is BC Navigator and a AT trial guide/data book. In addition you'll want to use Google and Google map in most towns and on the way to and from the trail.

Not sure how well Guthook handles the GPS offline, and battery management, but I'm assuming it works well from the Google Play description.

Fredt4
04-08-2015, 21:46
"based on the topic may" should read "based on the topo maps".