PDA

View Full Version : The costs of the triple crown trails?

wornoutboots
04-05-2015, 12:31
After hiking & listening, I'd say $5000 is a good number to Thru-hike the AT. What about the CDT? & PCT?

garlic08
04-05-2015, 14:36
Slightly more for the longer trails. There are a few really expensive resort towns you have little choice but to rest and resupply in. Say another $1K to $2K.

The PCT was my first--I hiked with my wife in 2004 for a combined cost of about $10K, including a little luxury (wedding anniversary, etc). The CDT was second and I didn't keep really good records, but about $5K in 2007. The AT was my last in 2008 and that one cost me $3500, quite a bit cheaper for me.

fiddlehead
04-05-2015, 14:36
What you spend on the AT is probably about what you'll spend on the other 2 (each).
Maybe a little less on the CDT. (fewer town stops)
Up to your lifestyle.
Some do the trails for $3000, some $10,000
Others are usually somewhere in between.

burger
04-05-2015, 15:50
I'm with Garlic--the PCT and CDT were more expensive (I doubt the chunk of the AT that I haven't done yet is any different from the rest). There are few hostels on the PCT or CDT, and very few trail angels (the number on the PCT seems to be dropping by the year). So, town stays can get pricy unless you don't stay ove. Plus food in the little touristy towns on the PCT and CDT is expensive--those mom and pop stores charge more than big grocery stores.