PDA

View Full Version : duncannon to harpers ferry

toeknee
11-07-2005, 13:41
I'm planning my first AT hike this spring. I'm thinking of going from duncannon to harpers ferry, basically because i think i can get a ride to duncannon (not too far from my home of Pittsburgh) and it's only a $35 train ride back to pittsburgh from Harpers. Basically, I'm a blank slate. I've done a bit of camping but don't really know anything about hiking distances. I figure it will take me about ten days to make the hike, seem reasonable? If anyone can think of anything that might be useful I'd really appreciate it.

LIhikers
11-07-2005, 16:52
Ten days is reasonable as long as you can average 12.44 mile days. The on-line AT distance calculator, found at http://www.ragtag.org/atdist.html , shows it as being 124.4 miles from Duncannon to the ATC side trail in WV.

Uncle Silly
11-07-2005, 19:14
That sounds like a pretty reasonable 2-week hike for someone new to hiking. 12 miles/day isn't a difficult average to reach, but remember you probably won't be hitting 12 miles on your first day out. If you're already in pretty good shape, though, you can expect to work your way up to it quickly. I'd put 10 days as a goal to shoot for, and plan an extra 3-6 days into the trip in case you end up hiking slower than you expect.

SalParadise
11-07-2005, 19:33
no, you won't have any problems averaging 12 miles a day unless you've got some physical problems. Plan food for 12 a day of course, but I think you'll be surprised that you can go faster. There are some challenging boulder crawls along the way, but that section is about the flattest on on the Trail.

SKCM
11-07-2005, 21:25
I've live in near Boiling Springs, PA and what you are proposing to do is surely doable. There are not a lot of climbs and once you get into Maryland it is really really great! Resupply should not be too much of an issue and although PA is well known for it's rocks, it really doesn't start until North of 501 Shelter. So you will have some great trail hiking. Also PA is known for it's lack of water in the summer, you will not have that problem in the spring.

How are you getting to Duncannon?
Russ

SKCM
11-07-2005, 21:27
Amtrak also will take your from Pittsburg to Harrisburg in the event you cannot get a ride to Duncannon.

When in the spring are you going?

Russ

toeknee
11-08-2005, 13:10
aside from the generous offer I just received. does anyone know if there is a bus or shuttle service from harrisburg to duncannon?

trailangelmary
11-18-2005, 05:38
Depending on the time of arrival, I will do my best to help you get from Harrisburg to Duncannon. I live in Duncannon. Contact me.