PDA

View Full Version : Insoles for hiking shoes

tim.hiker
04-06-2015, 08:07
Seem like some hiking shoes don't have a real good insole and the ones you get at Wal-Mart are even worst any good ideas on hiking shoes or insoles.... thanks

Walkintom
04-06-2015, 08:43
Lots of people like Superfeet. There are other options as well. I tend to buy shoes that have good insoles. Both Salomon and Lowa have great insoles, imo.

Rain Man
04-06-2015, 08:48
Seem like some hiking shoes don't have a real good insole ....

Right you are. I've tried several brands of boots and shoes and have yet to find any brand with good insoles.

I put Super Feet in all my hiking shoes. (no longer wear boots)

Five Tango
04-06-2015, 09:13
You can find just about any sort of foot product at footsmart.com.As we get older the arches "settle" and it is great to add some arch support.They are not all created equal and the junk I see at grocery and pharmacies is just that compared to what you can find on line.

BirdBrain
04-06-2015, 09:14
I have gone through 3 pairs of trail runners. I am still on my 1st pair of green superfeet.

The Kisco Kid
04-06-2015, 09:16
I'm with Superfeet too. I use the black color. The thinner of their options. Be careful using to thick Superfeet insoles. They can push your toes to the top of your boot, against the laces.

Lyle
04-06-2015, 09:19
I liked the original Orange Superfeet with the "metatarsal bump", but alas, they changed them, adding full foot padding. I can no longer use the Orange. I was told, when I complained, that it was a purely marketing decision, more padding meant easier sales. The Green Superfeet are usable (better than the shoe manufacturer insoles), but not perfect. May try something different, but for now the Green Superfeet are the go-to.

Odd Man Out
04-06-2015, 09:39
I am using Keen with Green Superfeet inserts. That has worked will for me. But I recently tried some Oboz hiking shoes (not boots) in a store and was really impressed. Good insoles. I will definitely try them next.

tiptoe
04-06-2015, 10:08
Rain Man, Oboz boots are the first I've used that don't need insoles. They are comfy and well padded right out of the box; at least they have been for me.

Jedeye
04-06-2015, 10:26
I gave superfeet a go once and they didn't really work out for me ~ but that's just my opinion. I just kept shopping around until I found a pair of shoes that worked as is. The biggest factors for me going with a pair of trail runners was getting pack weight down and plenty of training in - now my feet are golden.

tim.hiker
04-06-2015, 11:28
Right you are. I've tried several brands of boots and shoes and have yet to find any brand with good insoles.

I put Super Feet in all my hiking shoes. (no longer wear boots)
What color do you use ?

Old Grouse
04-06-2015, 11:30
I always used to use Superfeet Green. Since switching to Salomon XA Pros I keep waiting for a reason to put in Superfeet but, with many miles of daily use, these shoes are still quite comfortable with the manufacturer's inserts. As is so often the case, it goes to show you never can tell.

Rex Clifton
04-06-2015, 11:33
The thing to remember is that, even if you find a pair of boots with good insoles, you have to change them out every year or two, depending on how many miles. All insoles lose their resiliency over time. Having a high volume foot, Superfeet blue work for me.

jeffmeh
04-06-2015, 11:44
Someone else's choice of insole is only useful information around the general quality of the manufacturer's products. Different feet require different insoles. I do agree that most "original" insoles are inadequate relative to an after market insole. I use green superfeet with Merrell Moab Ventilators at this point. I also put green superfeet into my dress shoes when needed. I log many city miles, lol.

tim.hiker
04-06-2015, 11:54
I have got the Merrell Moab Ventilators also, the original insoles didn't last at all but I do like the shoe I have tried others but always go back to them, Looks like I will give super feet a try....... always good to hear peoples opinion's rather from a article in a magazine where more likely the person is getting paid to give them a good review..... just my 2 cents :)

BirdBrain
04-06-2015, 11:59
The thing to remember is that, even if you find a pair of boots with good insoles, you have to change them out every year or two, depending on how many miles. All insoles lose their resiliency over time. Having a high volume foot, Superfeet blue work for me.

I am going on my 3rd year on one pair of green superfeet. They have lasted through 3 pairs of trail runners so far. Green superfeet take a while to break in. I have no clue how long they take to break down. So far, I only hike in Maine and NH. My insoles have been over 42 4000' hills and countless wet spots.

tim.hiker
04-06-2015, 12:02
I tried oboz loved them but the toe box was so small it cause a lot of pain

Hangfire
04-06-2015, 12:08
This is the million dollar question out on the trail, I'm surprised this one didn't pop up sooner. Lots of opinions out there, seems that when you find the right one you should stick with it, if you really don't have problems with your factory insoles then stick with them. If you really really want the best you should consider orthotics, expensive as hell but from what i have heard and seen can correct some pretty serious foot ailments on the go.

Deacon
04-06-2015, 13:06
I liked the original Orange Superfeet with the "metatarsal bump", but alas, they changed them, adding full foot padding. I can no longer use the Orange. I was told, when I complained, that it was a purely marketing decision, more padding meant easier sales. The Green Superfeet are usable (better than the shoe manufacturer insoles), but not perfect. May try something different, but for now the Green Superfeet are the go-to.

I've always had a blister problem and wearing off skin under my toes. Recently I've read that the use of metatarsal pads on top of the insole, just behind the ball of the foot, will cause the toes to correctly angle down so the fat pad of the toes contacts the footbed. The result is more correct alignment of the toes, less wear under the toes, less chance of blistering.

I haven't gone long distance yet using the pads, but so far they are working well during my spring training.

peakbagger
04-06-2015, 13:11
Montrail heat moldable inserts, I have two pairs and rotate them for normal day hiking.

LuckyMan
04-06-2015, 14:17
I tried the green Superfeet but didn't like those hard pieces of plastic at all, find Montrail inserts much more comfortable, also longer-lasting

Hot Flash
04-06-2015, 14:35
Lots of people like Superfeet. There are other options as well. I tend to buy shoes that have good insoles. Both Salomon and Lowa have great insoles, imo.

And just as many people hate Superfeet. Personally, they left me feeling like someone had hammered the soles of my feet with a sledge. And yes, I was properly fitted. Superfeet are hard, not comfortable, and damned expensive.

Nodust
04-06-2015, 14:47
I use Superfeet green in all my footwear. From trail runners to steel toe work boot shoes. I have a high arch so realize they may not fit everyone like they fit me. I've tried a few other brands but always come back to Superfeet.

BirdBrain
04-06-2015, 14:52
Green superfeet for hiking insoles are like Redwing boots for work. If you are at all normal, they will not feel great when you 1st put them on. You might even hate them. However, as they break in you will come to love them. I understand those not willing to run that gamble and invest that kind of time on someone else's opinion. I am so glad I did though.

jeffmeh
04-06-2015, 15:19
Green superfeet for hiking insoles are like Redwing boots for work. If you are at all normal, they will not feel great when you 1st put them on. You might even hate them. However, as they break in you will come to love them. I understand those not willing to run that gamble and invest that kind of time on someone else's opinion. I am so glad I did though.

I had that experience with the green superfeet myself. Felt lousy the first time out, but fine thereafter. I think it more likely that I was breaking in my feet, not the insoles, lol.

bill1980
04-06-2015, 15:20
Superfeet copper, an extra $5 but are great inside my merrill moab ventilators.

Seatbelt
04-06-2015, 15:36
I've tried several different ones but the Good Feet brand works best for me, and I have used them for several years now.

brancher
04-06-2015, 15:58
Superfeet. Green.

Been using them ever since my now-21-yr-old was playing peewee soccer. They are used in every hiking shoe I have. Some shoes have a 'Superfeet-like' insole.... but it ain't Superfeet.

rhinodyson
04-06-2015, 22:02
Superfeet here in my moabs

Rain Man
04-06-2015, 22:20
What color do you use ?

I have both green (several pair) and orange (one pair so far).

FlyFishNut
04-07-2015, 07:34
I'm with Superfeet too. I use the black color. The thinner of their options. Be careful using to thick Superfeet insoles. They can push your toes to the top of your boot, against the laces.

x 2. I bought thicker ones (not cheap btw) and have only used them once. They felt good when I tried them on, but they do press my feet up against the top of the boot. I tried them for trail running and made the bottoms of my feet hurt. So, that purchase was a bust.

Hot Flash
04-07-2015, 09:11

Why would I (or anyone else) want to wear something that is painful and need "breaking in" when I can buy a different brand and have them be perfect from the first minute I put them into my shoes?

Superfeet are super painful. No thanks.

Harrison Bergeron
04-07-2015, 10:02
After developing plantar fasciitis his year, I've been through them all.

I started with the most expensive "plantar fasciitis" 3/4 length insoles known to Wal-mart. Worthless, and they kept slipping around in my shoe, but at least they had some padding for my sore heels.

So I went to the podiatrist who said I had high arches and a mild case of plantar fasciitis that he wasn't willing to treat with cortisone. He gave me a pamphlet I could have download from the internet that told me to spend all my waking hours on a stair case stretching my arches -- or if I didn't want to do that, he said I could buy any foot splint on Amazon to sleep with for the same result. I asked if prescription orthotics would help. He said "maybe" and wrote a prescription that said nothing on it but the word "orthotics". Then he took my 30 dollars (and my insurance company's $200).

So I've been through three different types night splints -- braces, socks, and straps. None worked. The straps made it worse. The braces were unbearable. The socks felt like sleeping in dirty socks. Then I tried the endless stretching exercises for three days, which was all I could stand. No help. In fact I think it made it worse.

I bought some $50 Superfeet Green insoles because the podiatrist said I had high arches and although he thought they were good he said I didn't need to pay that much for insoles and recommended Powerstep, which was only available on-line, or Spendco from the sporting goods store. I didn't care about the cost I just wanted my feet to quit hurting, so I went with the Superfeet from REI. They felt like I had a rock in my shoe. The arch support didn't fill the arch but was just a lump too far back toward my heal. And they were hard as a rock on my heels, no padding at all. My feet didn't get better and my knees started hurting because I was walking on the outside of my feet.

So then I tried the Spendco. Didn't hurt my knees, but didn't help my feet, either. Ordered the Powerstep. At least they had some padding for my sore heels, but still no improvement.

Then I was at Gander Mountain buying socks for my hike (love their hiking socks, by the way) and they had a gadget next to the "Sof Sole Fit" display that measured your arches. It said I had "medium" arches and the electric "green" insoles with the picture of a foot on them were indicated. $40 and a week later, I think my feet may be finally starting to heel, I mean heal. Of course, it could merely be a chance remission, which has happened before (like on the day I visited the podiatrist).

Good luck with your search, OP, and I hope your wallet is up to the task.

BirdBrain
04-07-2015, 10:35
Why would I (or anyone else) want to wear something that is painful and need "breaking in" when I can buy a different brand and have them be perfect from the first minute I put them into my shoes?

Superfeet are super painful. No thanks.

Don't. They don't work for everyone. However, I think if you took a poll, you would find that they are the most popular option. Of those that choose them, most would say that they were much more comfortable after they broke in. There is a reason for these consistent opinions. Less durable material will feel more comfy out of the box. I doubt they would last through 3 pairs of trail runners over the boulder slides and bogs of New England like my green superfeet have. Not trying to suggest I know what is best for your feet. That would be presumptuous. I am answering your questions. Why? Because they are superior and you will love them when they are broken in. Break them in by wearing them at home.

tim.hiker
04-07-2015, 11:30
There is a lot of info here and I appreciate the postings, it sure helps to here from people that are using the products, it looks like I will try super feet to start with and see how they will work for me... 50 bucks is nothing compare to having sore feet. If that doesn't work I will move to the other ideas.... anything is better than what comes with most shoes.... I have tried the cheaper ones with no luck...... thanks

putts
04-07-2015, 12:01
Unless they changed the policy, Superfeet has a money back guarantee good until 6 months after date of purchase. When I worked at an outfitter, we would refund no questions asked. If your place of purchase won't, Superfeet will directly. I don't need them for my hiking boots. They worked great for my ski boots.

tim.hiker
04-07-2015, 15:02
its worth a try I am going to get a pair and use them at work since I do a lot of walking before I start hiking..

RockDoc
04-07-2015, 17:34
I've found the Superfeet green to be too hard. I go for the slightly softer blue these days.

PR Man
04-07-2015, 21:04
Hate to be ignorant - but

I'm looking at hiking shoes and inserts. The superfeet seem awfully hard with no cushion. Can they be used with the original liners?

I don't think I understand.

BirdBrain
04-07-2015, 21:34

I'm looking at hiking shoes and inserts. The superfeet seem awfully hard with no cushion. Can they be used with the original liners?

No. You do not use both sets of insoles. I think part of the confusion is that people think insoles should be jellies. Superfeet provide protection and support, not soft pillows. They are tough. They give trail runners the toughness they should have. I feel like I have sneakers on without them. I have a functional trail shoe with them. Think strong not soft.

hannah.freeman.9250
04-08-2015, 09:44
Has anyone had experience with SOLE insoles?

tim.hiker
04-08-2015, 10:36
No. You do not use both sets of insoles. I think part of the confusion is that people think insoles should be jellies. Superfeet provide protection and support, not soft pillows. They are tough. They give trail runners the toughness they should have. I feel like I have sneakers on without them. I have a functional trail shoe with them. Think strong not soft. I guess it is hard to get soft with dependable

Harrison Bergeron
04-08-2015, 14:28

Oh yeah, tried that too. You can't use the shoe's factory inserts, but you can get some plain foam replacement inserts from Wallyworld to put under the Superfeet to add some padding. Doesn't help, but I was hoping it might salvage the $50 investment.

By the way, my feet are still getting better with the "Sof Sole Fit" insoles. They are superficially similar to Superfeet in that they have a fairly rigid plastic "frame" (I guess you'd call it) with a deep heal cup and lots of arch support. The difference is that the arch support actually fills the entire arch. They also have a little padding in the heel.

tim.hiker
04-09-2015, 07:22
I bought the green superfeet going to put them today,,, They do look very sturdy but I will have to see on the comfort level of them....

Lyle
04-09-2015, 08:11
I bought the green superfeet going to put them today,,, They do look very sturdy but I will have to see on the comfort level of them....

Be sure to follow the directions for getting used to them. For many folks (not me) the insoles start out uncomfortable. Your foot needs to get used to the additional support. After wearing a few times, they should become more comfortable.

I do have fewer foot pains using the Superfeet when backpacking than I did before using them. I have them in all my running/hiking style shoes, and use them every day.

peakbagger
04-09-2015, 08:55
I will note that even with Montrail Heat moldable inserts, its took a few hikes to get used them as they had more arch support than typical New Balance inserts.

Limmer and Sons a long term bootmaker to the hiking community in the whites only grudgingly accepted insoles in the last 20 years and that was only due to the customer insisting on them. Their design is a thick leather pad that is the base of the boot. It is flat when you get the boots and then you need to wear the boots for a long enough time that the pressure points on your feet sink in the leather forming a custom foot bed. This takes weeks and or months. There are many pairs of $500 plus nearly new Limmers that get sold at garage sales as the owners were unwilling or unable to survive the break in period. Eventually it does work for most and then if properly cared for can last for years. Years ago I met thru hikers who picked a new pair up in NH on their hike who got right back on the trail with new Limmers. I am amazed they could pull it off as prior to them breaking in they are painfull.

Kerosene
04-09-2015, 12:12
If you think you have any sort of unusual/out-of-the-ordinary feet, then I would go with heat-moldable insoles. One benefit of that approach (over Superfeet and their ilk) for long-distance hikers is that you can throw them in the oven after a thousand miles to re-shape them to your flattened arches!

The objective of insoles isn't for cushioning (although some provide that) as much as for support, especially if you have high arches and/or pronate.

spearmint6989
04-11-2015, 12:09
Hi! i'm new to this and i'm trying to figure out how to post a question, but i'm confused!! this is somewhat relevant to my question so i guess i'll just post it here....
I have flat feet but I love to hike and have been dreaming of thru hiking the AT....my dad also has flat feet and believes i can't do it because of my feet. I DO NOT want to let my feet stop me from fulfilling my dream!!! Can anyone relate?? Any suggestions for shoes or ways to prepare my feet for the trek ? I just did a short hike in VA and i used the insoles from the dr. scholl's machine at walmart, but my foot kept sliding forward in my boot and crushing my toes every time i went down hill.
I am going to try and see a dr, but i wanted to know if there was anyone out there with the same problem as me who has thru hiked the trail and how they dealt with their flat feet!! I need a little encouragement!!

jdc5294
04-11-2015, 17:36
Superfeet saved my hike. The orange ones are my favorite but either them or the green ones are great for hiking. Replace every ~700 miles.

jdc5294
04-11-2015, 17:37
As for Superfeet being too hard, they're for support not comfort. It usually takes a few days to get used to them but for people with flat feet like me they're a godsend.

handlebar
04-11-2015, 23:41
I have flat feet but I love to hike and have been dreaming of thru hiking the AT....my dad also has flat feet and believes i can't do it because of my feet. I DO NOT want to let my feet stop me from fulfilling my dream!!! Can anyone relate?? ... I need a little encouragement!!
My hiking buddy, Veto, has super flat and very narrow long feet. When he switched out footwear in Maine and forgot to transfer his insoles he had a lot of pain. I swapped my insoles for his and we thus became "sole brothers" and we finished together at Katahdin. He has since had custom orthotics fitted by a podiatrist and said they really help.

tim.hiker
04-12-2015, 07:43
I have used them for a week with a lot of walking and taking stairs, I am impressed with the support and also the comfort they gave me.. My ventilators feel really awesome the original insole was just plain cheap compare to superfeet I have used the ventilators for several years and I think they are a great show for the price, they made legs feel lil sore the 1st few days since I wasn't used to walking upright lol the only issues I will be concern with is they do bring you foot up in your shoe more and I had to loosen my laces up I will say after more miles this shouldn't be problem... I guess after a hard day hiking will tell the whole story... thanks for all the input .... amazing what insoles will do for ya.. know I need to find a good pair of sandal or something to cross the creeks...:)

Astro
04-12-2015, 18:40
I have used them for a week with a lot of walking and taking stairs, I am impressed with the support and also the comfort they gave me.. My ventilators feel really awesome the original insole was just plain cheap compare to superfeet I have used the ventilators for several years and I think they are a great show for the price, they made legs feel lil sore the 1st few days since I wasn't used to walking upright lol the only issues I will be concern with is they do bring you foot up in your shoe more and I had to loosen my laces up I will say after more miles this shouldn't be problem... I guess after a hard day hiking will tell the whole story... thanks for all the input .... amazing what insoles will do for ya.. know I need to find a good pair of sandal or something to cross the creeks...:)

Try the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure for the creek crossings.

http://www.6pm.com/ultra-pure

scrabbler
04-12-2015, 18:53
For a locally available insert, I have tried, and liked, these ... available at *mart stores for about $20-$25.

http://www.drscholls.com/productsandbrands/products/massaginggelsportreplacementinsoles/index.aspx

tim.hiker
04-13-2015, 07:47
Try the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure for the creek crossings.

http://www.6pm.com/ultra-pure thanks I have to try them out, I learned not to take crocks for water crossings...

Deacon
04-14-2015, 15:02
Has anyone had experience with SOLE insoles?

I use SOLE brand inserts. Not only are they rigid for support, but they have a fabric top that's comfortable, and best of all, are oven moldable, which seems to help.

nuknees
04-15-2015, 06:08
Sounds like everyone needs to be prepared to spend lots of $$$ on various inserts to find each individuals preference. I'm aware that your feet and legs take you everywhere and if you want to hike more effectively/comfortably you'll invest the time and $$$. But I can't help but get the feeling that hiking is going the way of skiing...only something the rich can afford to do.

tim.hiker
04-15-2015, 07:29
$50 isn't much to spend on good insole and its well worth it, Love my super feet I have had them a week and walking in them every day.. Money well spent..

Don H
04-15-2015, 08:31
I use the Copper Superfeet. Unfortunately the padding seems to wear out rather quickly. Seems I'm needing a new pair every few hundred miles, that gets expensive.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 10:17
Sounds like everyone needs to be prepared to spend lots of $$$ on various inserts to find each individuals preference. I'm aware that your feet and legs take you everywhere and if you want to hike more effectively/comfortably you'll invest the time and $$$. But I can't help but get the feeling that hiking is going the way of skiing...only something the rich can afford to do.

$50 isn't much to spend on good insole and its well worth it, Love my super feet I have had them a week and walking in them every day.. Money well spent..

I bought my 1st pair of green Superfeet in 2013. I hated plunking down the money I did to get them. I really felt like it was a big investment for a potential flop. I was preparing for a walk SoBo across Maine. I had never done a hike this long before. My shoe of choice for walking hills in Acadia was sandals. Against the advice of people on this site, I bought hiking boots for my 1st shakedown. I lost a toenail on that hike. Then I decided to listen. I bought trail runners for my 2nd shakedown. They worked great, but the insoles needed to be upgraded. So, I listened again. I bought the green Superfeet. That original pair are in my 4th pair of New Balance 610's and they show little sign of wearing out. I am sure I will post how many pair of trail runners they go through when they final die.

tim.hiker
04-15-2015, 10:35
I bought my 1st pair of green Superfeet in 2013. I hated plunking down the money I did to get them. I really felt like it was a big investment for a potential flop. I was preparing for a walk SoBo across Maine. I had never done a hike this long before. My shoe of choice for walking hills in Acadia was sandals. Against the advice of people on this site, I bought hiking boots for my 1st shakedown. I lost a toenail on that hike. Then I decided to listen. I bought trail runners for my 2nd shakedown. They worked great, but the insoles needed to be upgraded. So, I listened again. I bought the green Superfeet. That original pair are in my 4th pair of New Balance 610's and they show little sign of wearing out. I am sure I will post how many pair of trail runners they go through when they final die.I am hearing a lot of good thing about the NB 610 looks like I might need to check this out...

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 10:52
I am hearing a lot of good thing about the NB 610 looks like I might need to check this out...

Before you do, let me give you some perspective. There are better and more expensive options. I have been buying New Balance for over 30 years. I live in Maine. The factory outlets are not that far away. A normal visit for me is 3 or 4 hours. There are so many options to look at. I buy New Balance because of my feet. I have very wide feet. New Balance comes in widths from A to EEEE. I get the EEEE. I look at the better and more expensive companies, but I can never find a pair as comfortable as what New Balance offers. I love the tread on the 610's. The shoe is light weight and breathable. I normally pay about $45 for a pair. I have several new pairs in reserve in my closet. Other hikers will tell you about better shoes. Normally that means more money for a shoe that will not fit me.

New Balance has hinted that they will be making the 100's again. If they ever do, I will be buying 10 pairs.

Update:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/02/shoes-and-gear/shoe-week-new-balance-101_122555

These are the original 100's

http://runlikemonkey.com/gear-reviews/new-balance-100/

This appears to be New Balance's answer

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-101/MT101.html?dwvar_MT101_color=Lead_with_Black_and_L emon%20Drop#color=Lead_with_Black_and_Lemon

I guess I need to drive over and look soon.

HooKooDooKu
04-15-2015, 12:23
Unless they changed the policy, Superfeet has a money back guarantee good until 6 months after date of purchase. When I worked at an outfitter, we would refund no questions asked. If your place of purchase won't, Superfeet will directly. I don't need them for my hiking boots. They worked great for my ski boots.
Its a 60 day (http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/green?___SID=U) (not 6 month) comfort guarantee.

Another Kevin
04-15-2015, 21:54
Before you do, let me give you some perspective. There are better and more expensive options. I have been buying New Balance for over 30 years. I live in Maine. The factory outlets are not that far away. A normal visit for me is 3 or 4 hours. There are so many options to look at. I buy New Balance because of my feet. I have very wide feet. New Balance comes in widths from A to EEEE. I get the EEEE. I look at the better and more expensive companies, but I can never find a pair as comfortable as what New Balance offers. I love the tread on the 610's. The shoe is light weight and breathable. I normally pay about $45 for a pair. I have several new pairs in reserve in my closet. Other hikers will tell you about better shoes. Normally that means more money for a shoe that will not fit me.

New Balance has hinted that they will be making the 100's again. If they ever do, I will be buying 10 pairs.

Update:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/02/shoes-and-gear/shoe-week-new-balance-101_122555

These are the original 100's

http://runlikemonkey.com/gear-reviews/new-balance-100/

This appears to be New Balance's answer

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-balance-101/MT101.html?dwvar_MT101_color=Lead_with_Black_and_L emon%20Drop#color=Lead_with_Black_and_Lemon

I guess I need to drive over and look soon.

Thanks for the pointer, the 101's look sweet! And they aren't in clown colours, unlike the 610's.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 22:21
After a bit of research, I see an issue with the MT101's. The insole is glued in. I am not much deterred by that fact. I am confident in my ability to rip it out one way or another.

Another Kevin
04-16-2015, 10:32
I'm not confident in *my* ability to rip it out in such a way that will neither damage the midsole nor get glue all over my socks. So that glued-in insole is a showstopper for me. Thanks for the tip..

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 10:37
I'm not confident in *my* ability to rip it out in such a way that will neither damage the midsole nor get glue all over my socks. So that glued-in insole is a showstopper for me. Thanks for the tip..

Okay. Since you seem to be staying with the 610's, may I suggest the v4. They have a color I am sure you will love... or was that a color I love? :p

perrymk
04-16-2015, 13:09
I use SOLE brand inserts. Not only are they rigid for support, but they have a fabric top that's comfortable, and best of all, are oven moldable, which seems to help.
I'll second Sole. I used to use Superfeet but either SF changed or my feet changed. Heat moldable SOLE mean a custom fit for me. I like the Signature EV Ultra model

Sharijo
04-27-2015, 13:01
Yes, I have Oboz hiking boots...awesome.

Wyoming
04-30-2015, 12:05
I used to always have superfeet in my hiking shoes - until i switched to hard soled low top hikers on my thru in 06'. Have never used them since. A top quality hiking shoe like a Vasque has a good quality insole compared to a NB and you many not need a replacement like superfeet. But then again you might - everyone's feet are different.

I must admit I was amazed reading above about people who get 'years' out of a shoe. How far are you hiking? I blow through about 1 1/2 pairs of Vasques a year - and by that I mean holes are worn through the bottoms and the insides are disintegrating.

Oh. If you want to wear superfeet take them with you to try on new shoes. Pull the factory inserts out and put the superfeet in to get the proper sizing. Superfeet are a different thickness than the factory inserts and change the shoe size. This will prevent the blisters on the top of the toes from buying the shoe and then putting superfeet in later mistake. A thicker heal on a superfeet compared to a factory insert can also change how the heal cup fits. This might make a nice shoe unsuitable for some.

Another Kevin
04-30-2015, 17:43
Wyoming - I see you're in Prescott. The red rock country is death to shoes. You both have the hard sandstone on the outside, and a lot of wind-blown and kicked-up grid on the inside wearing away at them. (The Catskill Crud and the Pennsylvania Rocks are similar.) There are other places that are less abrasive. :)

BirdBrain
04-30-2015, 18:02
Who is saying they get years out of their shoes? I get years out of my green superfeet and go through trail runners like green corn goes through the new maid. Going back to read posts.

BirdBrain
04-30-2015, 18:28
Wyoming, I think you might have misunderstood. I don't see anyone saying that their shoes are lasting years. I have said that my insoles have lasted years. I swap them to new shoes as I destroy them. If someone knows of a trail runner that lasts years hiking through boulder fields and swamps, I want a pair.

Wyoming
04-30-2015, 23:23
Well I may have misunderstood, but I thought this seemed to say that. But I have never seen a $500 shoe and come to think of it if it does cost over $500 it had better last for years. The sole must be made out of that rubber they use for the 100,000 mile car tires. Think I will go look these things up.

I will note that even with Montrail Heat moldable inserts, its took a few hikes to get used them as they had more arch support than typical New Balance inserts.

Limmer and Sons a long term bootmaker to the hiking community in the whites only grudgingly accepted insoles in the last 20 years and that was only due to the customer insisting on them. Their design is a thick leather pad that is the base of the boot. It is flat when you get the boots and then you need to wear the boots for a long enough time that the pressure points on your feet sink in the leather forming a custom foot bed. This takes weeks and or months. There are many pairs of $500 plus nearly new Limmers that get sold at garage sales as the owners were unwilling or unable to survive the break in period. Eventually it does work for most and then if properly cared for can last for years. Years ago I met thru hikers who picked a new pair up in NH on their hike who got right back on the trail with new Limmers. I am amazed they could pull it off as prior to them breaking in they are painfull.

Wyoming
04-30-2015, 23:26
Oops. Quotes should be around the last 2 paragraphs in my post #74. Can one edit posts?

BirdBrain
05-01-2015, 00:02
Oops. Quotes should be around the last 2 paragraphs in my post #74. Can one edit posts?

You can edit posts if you are a donating member.

I see your point about the quote and agree. The only way they last years is if they don't hike much.

Drybones
05-01-2015, 07:51
I'm glad Superfeet work for some, I wasted $40 on them, wore them once or twice, they were slippery and my feet slid around in them and they were hard as stone to me.

Wyoming
05-05-2015, 16:14
I guess it is hard to get soft with dependable

There is a misunderstanding implied in your statement (if I read it incorrectly just disregard).

Soft does not equal more protection. Soft is most effective after you have already hurt yourself as it relives pain.

But research has shown that prior to injury your typical person hits the ground much harder in soft cushy shoes than in a hard soled shoe. So the likelyhood of getting an injury is actually greater if you wear a really soft shoe vice a hard one (I am leaving out foot bruising from rocks as this is always worse in soft shoes than hard ones). We are talking injuries like plantar fasciitis, shin splints, joint issues and such. The way this works is analogous to comparing someone walking in shoes to someone barefoot. The barefoot person uses a different bio-mechanical walking technique than someone in shoes. They literally put their feet down differently and use their muscles differently. There is some of these same bio-mechanical differences when people use hard as opposed to squishy shoes. They slam their heels down much harder in soft shoes than hard ones. The force transmitted up your legs is thus much higher when walking in a soft shoes and this leads to more injuries.

If you switch from soft to hard it takes time for your body to learn to walk right in the new shoe. They will only seem hard for a time and after you learn to walk the 'new' right way you will not notice it anymore. If you went the other way you would have a similar learning process. Switching from one concept to another mid-hike is risky for injury so be careful about that too. Slow down for a time and let the body adapt. Running shoes are designed for the mechanics of running and not walking - they are not at all the same. For some this is not a good thing and for others it makes no difference - some of us are tougher than others. Remember when we all walked barefoot we all walked like we were using hard shoes. Barefoot people do not slam their heels down on the ground when they walk and when you walk in hard soled shoes you should not either. Nobody barefoot stubbed their toes all the time like we do now either - :D

You can actually train yourself on purpose to change the way you walk (or run) if you desire too. But best not to do it on the trail as it takes time and you have to build new muscle strength, adapt your tendons/ligaments to the new workload and retrain your reflexes. All that requires a building up process just like when you train to do anything new. The best walking or running technique is to train yourself to not land hard on the heel but rather to land sort of on the mid-foot. When walking you pretty much have to hit heel first but don't do it hard only barely. For running you actually don't want to hit heel first. Really efficient runner/walkers sort of glide rather than bounce up and down. And they are much quieter due to not hitting the ground as hard.

Thus my personal preference (just my opinion of what is best for me) is that the ideal shoe (other than a perfect fit which has to come first) is the best combination of lightness and a hard sole. In other words for hiking I won't touch a NB with a 10 foot pole but I would be quite happy using them for running.